Where does Jarome Iginla fit ?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where does Jarome Iginla fit ?

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 pm

Tybrus wrote:Its a bad problem to have but I have no idea how you break up the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line. I guess the easy answer is ask Dupuis to take 3rd line duties. He is a consummate pro and will do it, but man I don't like the idea.

Well anyone will do what they are told. Dupuis has gone from 1st line to 4th line, won a Cup, got a Pens tattoo on his shoulder and stayed with the team. He'd be fine with whatever Bylsma decides. But I still put Morrow there because that role would be prefect for him. **** with the other team with no consequences and maybe get a goal :)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:08 pm

smoothmoneyb wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:This thread is just ridiculous...haha certainly an embarrassment of riches. Good to be a fan right now. I just can't bring myself to break up Neal/Malkin (mainly because it seems Neal will not be his best without Malkin) and I can't break up Crosby/Kunitz because that is the #1 and #2 scorers in the league.

So I start thinking that means Dupuis drops for Iginla...especially because it seems Iginla came her for Crosby and they have history together, but then I am watching this game vs the Jets and just don't want to move Dupuis.

This is more of a "keep the streak alive" type move and is just fun to think about, but I am trying to figure out how we can get ourselves out of the frame of mind that 3rd line = not as good and needs to be Defense/Checkers and scoring is bonus. Roll with 3 legit "#1" scoring lines or something. If Crosby and Malkin are 1a and 1b to not hurt their feelings...then Iginla can be 1c!

One thing I wonder - does Sutter have the talent necessary for a top 6 winger like Iginla...and if not, can Morrow make up for anything Sutter lacks and can make that a more legit line. What is the potential for Morrow/Sutter/Iginla? If that line can do damage then that leaves Neal/Malkin/whoever to do their thing and keeps the first line exactly as they are. Then if someone gets into a drought or a team finds a way to stop a line...you have plenty of options to switch around with an open spot on Malkin's wing...dropping Duper to 3rd line, moving Kunitz to back to Malkin's line, Iginla Can play on top two lines, Morrow can play on any of the first 3 lines.

Too many good options. Bylsma is in line juggling heaven.

I wonder why people keep saying that Iggy came here to play with Crosby? I mean maybe he did, but who knows? Has anyone actually heard him say this? I'm pretty sure that he came here b/c he wants to win a cup, and he came to Pitt b/c they offer him the best chance to do that right now. In his press conference, he specifically mentioned having an opportunity to play with the "two best players in the world, Crosby and Malkin". I'm pretty sure he'd be fine playing with either. But yeah, he didn't mention anything about the opportunity of playing with Sutter Lol. So no, I don't think you put him on the third line. IMO, as I've already stated, there is really only one option that makes sense. But that's just my opinion, and everyone else is obviously entitled to their own as well. Either way, it's a good problem to have!

Well he didn't say anything except that he really chose PGH. He and Morrow both seem to have the attitude they will do what it takes. I don't think either "expects" anything, but talking about playing with "the two best" doesn't mean he is on their line. Technically, Glass or any other guy that signs here is playing with the two best players because they are on the team. And even Glass gets an occasional shift with Crosby. I think it is just kind of assumed that, because he and Crosby played well together in the Olympics and he is a top end talent kind of guy, he will play with Crosby or at least Malkin.

I am just wondering what he could do even without those guys. He is clearly was THE GUY in Calgary that the lines were formed around. We are used to forming lines around our centers because we have had some of the best centers. How much has Iginla had to stand on his own as a winger with less than top end other linemates and still got his work done? Might be something to look into. Let Iginla continue to be the main focus on his own line...keep our current crazy successful first line and we know traditionally successful 2nd line.

Let me be clear, I am not against Iginla with Crosby or Malkin. It just would be the best of both worlds if he could find success with Sutter + whoever. Keep the "if it aint broke dont fix it" mind set in place...as well as the "make sure you use Iginla wisely" or what you will call it mind set in place. The best defense is a good offense!

Imagine a full regular season if Crosby, Kunitz, Dupuis keep doing what they do (lead the league in scoring, possible art ross this year)
Neal/Malkin + 1 do what they do (40 goal scorer/50 goal scorer art ross) AND
Iginla could keep doing what he has in Calgary with Sutter + 1 (32/35 last year, 43/43 2011)

I admit though...thinking of the numbers Iginla with Crosby or Malkin could put up is fun too.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tybrus on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:10 pm

DelPen wrote:
Tybrus wrote:Its a bad problem to have but I have no idea how you break up the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line. I guess the easy answer is ask Dupuis to take 3rd line duties. He is a consummate pro and will do it, but man I don't like the idea.

Well anyone will do what they are told. Dupuis has gone from 1st line to 4th line, won a Cup, got a Pens tattoo on his shoulder and stayed with the team. He'd be fine with whatever Bylsma decides. But I still put Morrow there because that role would be prefect for him. **** with the other team with no consequences and maybe get a goal :)

The only reservation I have about that is if you keep the first line together then Neal or Iginla has to play out of their natural position on the left wing on the 2nd line or you roll something along the lines of Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla and Dupuis-Malkin-Neal. I like the second option better preferably.
Tybrus
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Tybrus wrote:
DelPen wrote:

The only reservation I have about that is if you keep the first line together then Neal or Iginla has to play out of their natural position on the left wing or you roll something along the lines of Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla and Dupuis-Malkin-Neal. I like the second option better preferably.

Neal was a LW until last year
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tybrus on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:12 pm

DelPen wrote:
Tybrus wrote:
DelPen wrote:

The only reservation I have about that is if you keep the first line together then Neal or Iginla has to play out of their natural position on the left wing or you roll something along the lines of Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla and Dupuis-Malkin-Neal. I like the second option better preferably.

Really? Well, I retract my previous statement. :lol:
Tybrus
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby joopen on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:12 pm

DelPen wrote:
Tybrus wrote:
DelPen wrote:

You mean the first time he scored 40 goals in his career?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:14 pm

joopen wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Tybrus wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Would it be so horrible to see what Neal can do back on the LW with Malkin and Iginla?

#StanleyCupContenderProblems
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:14 pm

Neal played his whole career as a LW until he came to Pittsburgh. Iginla only plays RW.

As much as it pains me to say this, Morrow will play on the third line LW.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:16 pm

Yeah, this is quite a puzzle. Before the game, I was down with

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke

But now, I don't know. Obviously, the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line was fantastic tonight (like they have been), and I thought Morrow really pretty good with Neal and Malkin. He came pretty close to getting a couple garbage goals in front and was constantly occupying at least one d-man in the crease. That creates all kinds of room for Malkin and Neal to pass and shoot. I'm not sure Morrow would be as effective with Sutter and Cooke.

On the other hand, how can you put Iginla, THE big get of the trade deadline, on the 3rd line?
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Grunthy on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:17 pm

joopen wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Tybrus wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Also happened to be the first time he played with Malkin...
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:22 pm

I just love how people throw wingers around to whatever side they want. This isn't PS3 or Xbox, these are real people.

Did anyone watch Cooke on his off wing this year? Downright horrible. Not that it matters, but I saw people putting Bennett on his off wing. Really? A rookie still learning the NHL game just jumping to a new position? When's the last time Dupuis played LW?

I have NO idea what Bylsma is going to do.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:23 pm

murphydump55 wrote:I just love how people throw wingers around to whatever side they want. This isn't PS3 or Xbox, these are real people.

Did anyone watch Cooke on his off wing this year? Downright horrible. Not that it matters, but I saw people putting Bennett on his off wing. Really? A rookie still learning the NHL game just jumping to a new position? When's the last time Dupuis played LW?

HCDB today said Cooke plays well on either wing :pop:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:35 pm

thepittman wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:I just love how people throw wingers around to whatever side they want. This isn't PS3 or Xbox, these are real people.

HCDB today said Cooke plays well on either wing :pop:

well he should review the tapes from when Cooke was playing there...he'd be surprised.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:38 pm

Bennett was a RW until he came to Pittsburgh, yes?

Neal was a LW until he came to Pittsburgh, yes?

Dupuis played LW opposite Hossa, yes?

Cooke played RW with Naslund and Morrison, yes?

Only player we tried on his out of position normal wing and was horrible was Kennedy on the LW
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:39 pm

Didn't Dupuis play LW with Crosby and Hossa when he initially came from Atlanta? I also think Cooke was bad at RW earlier this year, but any possible line combos seem to involve playing someone on a side they're not ideally suited for, or playing someone on a line they're not ideally suited for (e.g. Iginla on the 3rd).

Oh well, it'll be fun seeing how it shakes out.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:43 pm

largegarlic wrote:Didn't Dupuis play LW with Crosby and Hossa when he initially came from Atlanta? I also think Cooke was bad at RW earlier this year, but any possible line combos seem to involve playing someone on a side they're not ideally suited for, or playing someone on a line they're not ideally suited for (e.g. Iginla on the 3rd).

Oh well, it'll be fun seeing how it shakes out.

I agree about Cooke. As for Dupuis, it's been a while since he's played there, it might not be that easy. Maybe it will be.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm sorry but I dont understand why people are so terrified to break up the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line. You pretty much have a month of trial and error and seeing what line combos play well together. If in 2 or 3 weeks its clear that Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis should be together, put them back together.

I'm all for trying....

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke

OR

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis

The next month of the season is almost like playing with free money. They have a month to play around with line combos (especially on the PP) and make sure everyone is healthy going into the playoffs.
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DesertPenguin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 pm

I think for the next 10ish games, it should be platoon style. The Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis line is on another level right now. They're playing hockey with one (Sid's) brain. Perfectly in sync. It is scary. With the Malkin line, Morrow is opening things up for them big time and getting into the dirty areas. Give Morrow some credit on the Malkin goal: he was right there on the right post, creating traffic and forcing Montoya to deal with him, instead of getting over to stop Geno. So, what to do with Iggy? We have 7 elite top six forwards on this team. This is an awesome problem to have.

Iggy isn't selfish. He will play where you ask him to with a smile on his face. I think you've gotta start him on the RW with Cooke and Sutter, but diligently insert him with Sid and Geno for shifts. Alternating Iggy and Dupuis is a good start, and plugging someone in for Morrow on some shifts to save him will help too. Morrow plays a physical game, and we should try to limit him to 15 minutes a night, which will include some net front powerplay time. Couple that with Dupuis picking up more PK time, and I think there are enough top six minutes to go around.

Besides, no one gets through the playoffs injury free. This problem will work itself out along the course of the playoffs. We have an embarrassment of riches. Seriously. This is insane.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:20 pm

For those that say Iginla can't play on the third line, I humbly suggest this subtle change:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal

Yes, I'm being a wise@$$, but I really don't think the players care about the number their line gets. They care about time on ice, and a line of Cooke-Sutter-Iginla would get plenty. As mentined earlier, they would also get some very favorable matchups.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby guiner on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 pm

This team is incredible, no doubt, but even tonight the 4th line was a liability. This will never happen, but this is how I would roll the lines at first.

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Until tonight I'd might have broken this up. And somewhat IMO, you have to defer to Dupuis' tenure as a Penguin. This guy has been huge for us in any roll he has been asked. He has earned that spot and I don't think its in the teams interest to just sub him for Iginla. Pascal Dupuis is also an UFA. No doubt he can bank and I'd think he'd be far more justified in doing so if he gets pushed to 3rd.

Bennett-Malkin-Neal
The trade-off here is Bennett vs Morrow. Morrow definetly showed his asset to playing with Malkin will be net front presence, which will open up more ice for both Neal and Malkin. However, he looks not so good as a transition attacking player, which Bennett really brings to the table with Malkin. This kid is really good at moving the puck up the ice quickly. Malkin can create offense with either of these guys, Bennett more on the fly/rush. I go with Bennett because I think it expands the roster to be much more competitive into the 4th line. Plus I see Bennett as a guy who could really really benefit from being a part of this playoff run, before some of these players are gone and he needs to step up then. He's not Jagr, but it just seems like he could be a part of this playoffs in a very positive way.

Morrow-Sutter-Iginla
These players play similar games. This line would overmatch any other 3rd line in the playoffs, great experience for Sutter to play with these 2 legendary leaders.

Cooke-Vitale-Kennedy
Even tonight the 4th line had troubles. This gives us 4 lines that all can play uptempo attacking hockey that gives absolutely no break in the attack.

There is no doubt we are going to have some games like tonight, where going into the 3rd, I'd really starting playing around with line combos including giving Jerome time with Sid.

my 2 cents
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 pm

I think the answer to everything is pretty simple....

get another top 2 line quality player and stick him on the 3rd line....

lol.... I'm only semi joking 8-)

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
TRADE-Sutter-Iginla
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby guiner on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:34 pm

GenoMachino71 wrote:I think the answer to everything is pretty simple....

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
TRADE-Sutter-Iginla

CLOWE!!!! Come on Shero!!! DO IT!

guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:37 pm

guiner wrote:
GenoMachino71 wrote:I think the answer to everything is pretty simple....

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
TRADE-Sutter-Iginla

CLOWE!!!! Come on Shero!!! DO IT!

He's not good enough.... he's more 4th line material on this team 8-)
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:50 pm

murphydump55 wrote:these are real people.

They are not. They are Hockey players. Real people do not keep playing when they get 3 or 4 teeth knocked out.

murphydump55 wrote:I have NO idea what Bylsma is going to do.

Stretch passes.....lots of stretch passes.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:53 pm

guiner wrote:This team is incredible, no doubt, but even tonight the 4th line was a liability. This will never happen, but this is how I would roll the lines at first.

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Until tonight I'd might have broken this up. And somewhat IMO, you have to defer to Dupuis' tenure as a Penguin. This guy has been huge for us in any roll he has been asked. He has earned that spot and I don't think its in the teams interest to just sub him for Iginla. Pascal Dupuis is also an UFA. No doubt he can bank and I'd think he'd be far more justified in doing so if he gets pushed to 3rd.

Bennett-Malkin-Neal
The trade-off here is Bennett vs Morrow. Morrow definetly showed his asset to playing with Malkin will be net front presence, which will open up more ice for both Neal and Malkin. However, he looks not so good as a transition attacking player, which Bennett really brings to the table with Malkin. This kid is really good at moving the puck up the ice quickly. Malkin can create offense with either of these guys, Bennett more on the fly/rush. I go with Bennett because I think it expands the roster to be much more competitive into the 4th line. Plus I see Bennett as a guy who could really really benefit from being a part of this playoff run, before some of these players are gone and he needs to step up then. He's not Jagr, but it just seems like he could be a part of this playoffs in a very positive way.

Morrow-Sutter-Iginla
These players play similar games. This line would overmatch any other 3rd line in the playoffs, great experience for Sutter to play with these 2 legendary leaders.

Cooke-Vitale-Kennedy
Even tonight the 4th line had troubles. This gives us 4 lines that all can play uptempo attacking hockey that gives absolutely no break in the attack.

There is no doubt we are going to have some games like tonight, where going into the 3rd, I'd really starting playing around with line combos including giving Jerome time with Sid.

my 2 cents

I like that set of lines. I am not sure what we do with the PK this late in the season benching Adams. Glass is just horrible, even in a game like this where the opponent wanted to go home early.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins