Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:41 pm

pcm wrote:Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Sutter-Iginla
Cooke-Jeffrey-Dupuis
Adams-Vitale-Kennedy

i like those lines
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_srq on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:42 pm

@RobRossi_Trib : #TribHKY >> Crosby not wired shut. Looked good, according to Shero. #pens
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ChiTraderRob on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:44 pm

If memory serves, Coffey broke his jaw in the second round of the playoffs...missed the rest of that series and the conference finals, and returned Game 2 of the Finals...Approximately 10 games or so.
ChiTraderRob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:46 pm

pens_srq wrote:
@RobRossi_Trib : #TribHKY >> Crosby not wired shut. Looked good, according to Shero. #pens

The best news from a very bad news day.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby smoothmoneyb on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:47 pm

pcm wrote:Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Sutter-Iginla
Cooke-Jeffrey-Dupuis
Adams-Vitale-Kennedy

You know, I was initially thinking that they should just keep the Malkin, Neal, Iginla line together and let them build chemistry and maybe move Sutter up with Kunitz and Dupuis just to avoid making too many changes in Crosby's absence. But if they don't do that, I actually like this option a lot. Definitely gives you a good balance with what should be two very good top lines. 3rd and fourth look very solid as well..
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shakes on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
Sid's game puts him in danger. He doesn't shy away from the dirty areas. He doesn't shy away from contact, in fact he often initiates it. That's why he's so good. But it's not a style that's going to lend itself to many injury-free seasons.

But this latest one and the Steckel one had nothing to do with his style of play, going to the net, or initiating contact. Just really, really, unlucky. Unreal.

I'm hoping for the best -- back for some or all of the playoffs. You never know with a jaw fracture.

Spoiler:
I'm sticking with the hockey gods just think he and Mario are/were too good for mere mortals. So they sent Steckel, Orpik, and cancer to equalize things.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
pens_srq wrote:

The best news from a very bad news day.

def made me feel a bit better
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:49 pm

:thumb:
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby marek on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:49 pm

farnham16 wrote:Brooks Orpik should never be able to shoot the puck again.

In all seriousness, it all depends how bad the break is. It's probably unlikely we see him before the playoffs start but who knows at this point.

Regardless, this team is still really good and their expectations shouldn't change. And the rest of the regular season doesn't really matter, its all about the playoffs with this group anyway.

I was thinking the same thing... Except out of the defensive zone... Worst case it hits someone in the butt
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:49 pm

Is there enough time for Malkin to win the MVP?
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:50 pm

Nizzy wrote:Is there enough time for Malkin to win the MVP?

Not wired shut...great news! As per everyone on twitter
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DMcGrew on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:50 pm

Shero: Nothing was wired, that's good news. It's only been 24 hours. We'll get through this and monitor next few days.
Shero on 87: As of last night and this morning, no sign of (concussion symptoms). We'll be cautious but no sign of that at all #Pens
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby smoothmoneyb on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:55 pm

Nizzy wrote:Is there enough time for Malkin to win the MVP?

I'd say no, but there's still time for kunitz. Art Ross is definitely within reach, Hart would be a very very long shot, but either way, he's in the conversation. He probably only has a realistic shot if he get's put back with Malkin/Neal, though. It's kind of funny, but besides the Pens winning the cup, there is probably nothing that would make me happier than Kunitz winning the Art Ross..
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:01 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Two scenarios...jaw wired shut or plates are installed.....plates are faster recovery time than the wired shut scenario....hopefully they put in plates to speed up his healing process.

They put plates in, no wiring required.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kaizer on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:07 pm

#TribHKY update on Crosby: He is likely to miss some time after surgery, but likely to be ready for playoffs. #pens #nhl
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:08 pm

Sid probably wins the Hart regardless. As far as the Art Ross, it'll take Stamkos half his remaining 14 games just to catch up to Sid. So if Sid comes back and plays 5 or more games, he'd probably still have a chance.

But those are not the trophies that matter.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:10 pm

Kaizer wrote:#TribHKY update on Crosby: He is likely to miss some time after surgery, but likely to be ready for playoffs. #pens #nhl

This is what matters. Unless the Pens tank, they are likely to win the division, probably meaning 2 seed at worst. The playoffs are what truly matter for this team anyway.

It sucks that Crosby may lose out on the Art Ross because of it, but **** happens. Raising the cup is all that truly matters.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Be1isarius89 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:12 pm

http://www.doctorsteinbeck.com/fracturepostop.htm

Normal healing time for jaw fractures is 6-8 weeks.

If your case does not require that your teeth be wired together for the entire 6-8 week period, it is still important that you do not chew foods during this healing period. The chewing of food during this time can loosen plates and screws. There are certain “no chew” food which you can eat such as puddings, mashed potatoes, and cooked vegetables and pasta mashed with a fork.

Swelling typically takes 10-14 days to resolve. After the first 4-7 days, swelling should begin to decrease. If you notice an increase in swelling after this time period, it may indicate an infection or other problem and you should call your Doctor immediately.

It is important to return to fairly normal lifestyle as soon as possible after injury. For the first two weeks after injury we recommend that you avoid heavy lifting. Depending on the severity of your injury, this time could be longer. Your Doctor will discuss this with you.
Be1isarius89
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:17 pm

1 more~
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 21m Shero just visited Crosby. "He was up and around, in good spirits. The doctor did a good job." #Penguins

good spirits; only Sid.

Sorry to have Sidney go through something like this so soon after his other troubles. Sid is mentally capable of tunnel vision - play-offs & cup finals. Of whom much is given; much is required. Hold on Sid! Take the drugs.

Shelly Anderson with more tweet info from GM. God Bless Ray Shero, still thinking of trades.
Shero said Crosby is on liquid/soft diet for now -- shakes -- but isn't sure how/when that might change. Could leave hospital soon
@pgshelly 4m Shero in no way sounded full of gloom and doom over Crosby and isn't altering ‏trade deadline plans because of injury
@pgshelly 5m As far as rest of season, playoffs for Crosby, Shero said he has to wait a few days to get reports just like everyone else.
‏@pgshelly 6m Shero said team put "indefinite" tag on Crosby's status because it's unclear, not because they expect him to be out a long time.
@pgshelly 7m Shero asked Crosby about puck in mouth: "He saw replays of it. He didn't have time to react."
‏@pgshelly 8m Shero on Crosby: "I thought he looked better than I thought he would." Did not disclose details of surgery.
Last edited by penny lane on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:21 pm

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:25 pm

penny lane wrote:1 more~
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 21m Shero just visited Crosby. "He was up and around, in good spirits. The doctor did a good job." #Penguins

good spirits; only Sid.

Sorry to have Sidney go through something like this so soon after his other troubles. Sid is mentally capable of tunnel vision - play-offs & cup finals. Of whom much is given; much is required. Hold on Sid! Take the drugs.

Shelly Anderson with more tweet info from GM. God Bless Ray Shero, still thinking of trades.
Shero said Crosby is on liquid/soft diet for now -- shakes -- but isn't sure how/when that might change. Could leave hospital soon
@pgshelly 4m Shero in no way sounded full of gloom and doom over Crosby and isn't altering ‏trade deadline plans because of injury
@pgshelly 5m As far as rest of season, playoffs for Crosby, Shero said he has to wait a few days to get reports just like everyone else.
‏@pgshelly 6m Shero said team put "indefinite" tag on Crosby's status because it's unclear, not because they expect him to be out a long time.
@pgshelly 7m Shero asked Crosby about puck in mouth: "He saw replays of it. He didn't have time to react."
‏@pgshelly 8m Shero on Crosby: "I thought he looked better than I thought he would." Did not disclose details of surgery.

Good positive news\vibes from Shero!!
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Nothing wired is some consolation.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shakes on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:28 pm

penny lane wrote:1 more~

good spirits; only Sid.

Good stuff. Shero probably traded for a good oral surgeon to get this done right.

Seriously, I feel much better than I did an hour ago. He's up and around, and his jaw isn't wired. I bet he's doing conditioning in 10 days or less.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:29 pm

I'd imagine he'll be back relatively soon given what Shero said. Maybe miss a couple weeks, certainly back by playoffs.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby smoothmoneyb on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks for the updates everyone! It's nice to hear some encouraging news on this..
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins