Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby thepittman on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:24 pm

Froggy wrote:didn't paul coffey break his jaw like 20 years ago and miss like a week? don't always expect that every injury is the worst case scenario. sid will be back when he's healthy enough to come back. this team is good enough to get by without him for a little bit.

I'm looking at what is normal, coming back in a week is out of the norm.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:25 pm

Sid is a huge competitor, he is to stubborn to let this slow him down. He also knows that this team is special. He will be back asap . JUST BE HAPPY ITS NOT A CONCUSSION.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:27 pm

WHAT THE F*** seriously?!?!?!? i am so tired of these injuries and it had to happen to crosby when hes having ANOTHER awesome season. Figures
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_srq on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Seriously though, enough is enough. The "hockey gods" are really ticking me off these past few years.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:30 pm

Reminds me so much of Mario's career, for both geno and sid.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:32 pm

thepittman wrote:
Froggy wrote:didn't paul coffey break his jaw like 20 years ago and miss like a week? don't always expect that every injury is the worst case scenario. sid will be back when he's healthy enough to come back. this team is good enough to get by without him for a little bit.

it's just as silly to assume it's going to be abnormally long than it is abnormally short.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_srq on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:32 pm

I imagine they have no idea if he has a concussion yet or not. If you've ever had pain from teeth, it can feel a lot like concussion symptoms. They'll have to wait for that to subside before they can even tell if his brain is okay.

His head didn't snap back so if it's a concussion it's not a whiplash style one.
Last edited by pens_srq on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:33 pm

MOTHER ****.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:36 pm

pens_srq wrote:I imagine they have no idea if he has a concussion yet or not. If you've ever had pain from teeth, it can feel a lot like concussion symptoms. They'll have to wait for that to subside before they can even tell if his brain is okay.

This is what I was thinking, which is why the Pens didn't put a time frame on his return. I'm glad they are taking the cautious approach with Sid and the information they are releasing.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:41 pm

pens2005 wrote:
thepittman wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:The Pens are being overly cautious at this point, and rightly so. I have a feeling he won't be out for as long as we think.

:?:

I'm not sure why you're questioning. Where is it that says he will be out for the rest of the season?

People have returned from broken jaws before and haven't missed a month of action.

:thumb:

I can't see Crosby missing any playoff time due to it - throw on a full shield and go. If he takes it easy until then, so be it.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:42 pm

Froggy wrote:
thepittman wrote:

it's just as silly to assume it's going to be abnormally long than it is abnormally short.

Who made the claim of it being abnormally long? A month is the normal recovery time for jaw fractures that require surgery.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:43 pm

pens_srq wrote:I imagine they have no idea if he has a concussion yet or not. If you've ever had pain from teeth, it can feel a lot like concussion symptoms. They'll have to wait for that to subside before they can even tell if his brain is okay.

His head didn't snap back so if it's a concussion it's not a whiplash style one.

I saw on Twitter earlier that there were no reported concussion-like symptoms.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:46 pm

thepittman wrote:
Froggy wrote:
thepittman wrote:

Who made the claim of it being abnormally long? A month is the normal recovery time for jaw fractures that require surgery.

not directed at you or anyone specifically. just trying to talk people down from the ledge.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pronovost19 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:47 pm

Two scenarios...jaw wired shut or plates are installed.....plates are faster recovery time than the wired shut scenario....hopefully they put in plates to speed up his healing process.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bathgate on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:47 pm

The Penguin Star Jinx (PSJ) strikes again! I won't cite again the litany of bizarre and unusual and devastating injuries and circumstances that have struck so many Penguins stars, near-stars, and potential stars in their history, but it is a long and sad list. It's just so unbelievable how much great entertainment has been lost to us long-time Pens fans due to the PSJ. Some reporter should chronicle the list and report on it in the newspaper.

I would venture to guess that no non-goalie skater in NHL history has been struck so hard by a to-the-jaw slapshot. And it happens to OUR superstar!

The gods of hockey have given us the big stars and even some Cups, but the PSJ has deprived us of so much entertainment and enjoyment for the time and money we expend on the Pens.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:47 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Two scenarios...jaw wired shut or plates are installed.....plates are faster recovery time than the wired shut scenario....hopefully they put in plates to speed up his healing process.

According to Buzz on the Turd they did. :pop:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:48 pm

Season's over
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:49 pm

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capita ... -with.html

Knuble missed three games and played with it. So, there's definitely a lot of possibilities.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thepittman on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:50 pm

DocEmrick wrote:Season's over

This team is so deep in talent right now, I'm hardly near panic mode.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:50 pm

Brooks Orpik should never be able to shoot the puck again.

In all seriousness, it all depends how bad the break is. It's probably unlikely we see him before the playoffs start but who knows at this point.

Regardless, this team is still really good and their expectations shouldn't change. And the rest of the regular season doesn't really matter, its all about the playoffs with this group anyway.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TrueNorth on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:52 pm

Easton wrote:The article mentions he'll have additional dental work done later this week. Would that be possible if his jaw had to be wired shut?

That’s a good point and I’m choosing to look at it as a positive. Apparently, he lost a few teeth in addition to sustaining a broken jaw and I would imagine that the dental work scheduled for later this week is related to that. My guess is they are waiting for some of the swelling to go down before they get started.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bioshock on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:53 pm

We just gotta hope he got plates installed like Chris Mack said.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:54 pm

TrueNorth wrote:
Easton wrote:The article mentions he'll have additional dental work done later this week. Would that be possible if his jaw had to be wired shut?

That’s a good point and I’m choosing to look at it as a positive. Apparently, he lost a few teeth in addition to sustaining a broken jaw and I would imagine that the dental work scheduled for later this week is related to that. My guess is they are waiting for some of the swelling to go down before they get started.

Just means higher liklihood he had plates instead of wiring him shut
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:55 pm

The blue jerseys have to be stopped though. I'm not really a believer in curses but this is ridiculous. The Pens should just refuse to ever wear them again if the organization won't get rid of them.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:59 pm

I'm starting to expect the news to just not be good when it comes to any injury to Sidney Crosby. :evil:

I hate those blue jerseys. I only associate pain and misery with them. Crosby has probably had to resist the urge to vomit every time he's put one on, now this.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins