BLUE JERSEY IS DEAD

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: BLUE JERSEY IS DEAD

Postby nocera on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Rylan wrote:I liked the "Pigeon"

The pigeon is the original blue jersey curse.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Didn't Mario say the black and yellow jerseys won't be returning because he wants the team to have it's own identity?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:06 pm

JS© wrote:Didn't Mario say the black and yellow jerseys won't be returning because he wants the team to have it's own identity?

Why not do the Cup style jersey with the new "tan" gold? Didn't WBS do something like that?
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:11 pm

I remember hearing people say that, but don't recall ever actually seeing an exact quote attributed to 66. And if that is true, well... he didn't want a statue of himself made either. :D

And re-doing either any of the jerseys I'd prefer but with Vegas Khaki in place on yellow gold would be as bad as another blue. So that's what I'm expecting now.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:36 pm

netwolf wrote:I remember hearing people say that, but don't recall ever actually seeing an exact quote attributed to 66. And if that is true, well... he didn't want a statue of himself made either. :D

And re-doing either any of the jerseys I'd prefer but with Vegas Khaki in place on yellow gold would be as bad as another blue. So that's what I'm expecting now.

Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:44 pm

columbia wrote:Which is funny, because a lot of people would have still had black and white TVs.

I had a black and white tv in bedroom in the 90's let over from my mothers college days. I rigged up tin foil and wire all throughout my room to get the games because OTA was the only way to get them. Central PA was really rather cutoff when I was a kid to the outside world.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:51 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
helmespc wrote:Why so much love for the Rangers-esque diagonal jerseys? They look ok, but I'd hope there's something more creative out there.

This was the jersey I grew up with, and when the Pens' first announced their plans to bring back the blue jersey, I absolutely hated the idea because that jersey signified just one thing: years of failure. (As a kid I often wished the Pens would switch to black and gold to be in sync with the Pirates and Steelers, and in fact I even got a Bruins jersey and put a Penguin logo on it - a couple of years before they made the switch.)

Once the blue jersey came out though, I had a change of heart, as seeing Sid and Geno and company play great hockey in those jerseys was like exorcising a demon, and those decades of failure melted away - not to mention that the Winter Classic third jerseys are a darker blue and are much cooler than the original powder blue jerseys of yesteryear.

While I think it's crazy to blame injuries on the blue jersey, I understand how superstitious many people are, and I have no problem with the team doing away with them just because of superstition. I just hope whatever new third they come up with is cool looking, and is black and gold.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby nocera on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:02 pm

Froggy wrote:
netwolf wrote:I remember hearing people say that, but don't recall ever actually seeing an exact quote attributed to 66. And if that is true, well... he didn't want a statue of himself made either. :D

I changed my mind. This is hideous.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TPW on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:06 pm

One of the years the team was close to being sold to someone else, there were quotes from him (buried in the news about a possible sale) talking about changing the colors and uniforms and everything else "in a few years", I remember reading it in the Post-Gazette. He said that it would happen assuming he kept the team and got an arena, or something like that.
TPW
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Forget tapping into the past, why not try out a new concept design for a 3rd jersey? Something that is cool but would probably never become their primary one... but still fits within their requirements.

Like instead of gold on white or gold on black how about a gold jersey with black lettering and white highlights or some such thing.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:30 pm

This would be pretty awesome:

Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Willie Kool on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:34 pm

thepittman wrote:
columbia wrote:Which is funny, because a lot of people would have still had black and white TVs.

I had a black and white tv in bedroom in the 90's let over from my mothers college days. I rigged up tin foil and wire all throughout my room to get the games because OTA was the only way to get them. Central PA was really rather cutoff when I was a kid to the outside world.

:thumb: That brings back memories. Growing up in Erie in the 70's, the only NHL hockey I could get was HNiC OTA from Ontario, and my parents usually weren't interested in watching on the good tv (with the rooftop antenna) or really in having me up all night hanging around downstairs. We lived a few miles inland from Lake Erie on a ridge with the back of the house having a clear view out over the lake. I had a 12" B&W in my bedroom with an impressive (for being designed and made by a 9 year old) array of coat hangers, wire and foil I could hang out the 2nd floor window.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:41 pm

I remember watching the Pens on Channel 53. They had a game about once every three weeks, it seemed. When the Pens played the California Golden Seals in the playoffs one year, channel 53 decided to televise the away games. That was big.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby scals37 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:35 pm

silliest thread ever
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guido on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:07 pm

Ditching the blue is great. It had its time, it was a fad, but it has run its course.

I'd like to see them scrap the khaki/vegas gold they currently have and go with a yellow gold and black as has been suggested. Diagonal 'Pittsburgh' would be very popular, in my opinion, as well.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saints11 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:38 am

Things really could not have gotten worse tonight if they would have worn the blue! Stick the diagonal PITTSBURGH, too big of a word to place diagonally, always thought that was a problem with the original blue one and the later one. Besides, we're not the Rags, let them keep that style. Just like letting Boston keep the school bus yellow. Establish our own identity, I agreed with the boss.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:54 am

saints11 wrote:It is amazing. Other teams are worried about who they are getting or moving at the TDL; but Pens fans are rejoicing over the dumping of a supposed "Jinxed Jersey". Dump the blue; but I'd be in favor of keeping the circular logo; a nice way of keeping the old and new. Keep the mustard color jerseys in the retirement box!

...I don't think any other team has "best player in the world is out of our lineup" to worry about.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:04 am

BRING BACK THE BLUE. WE LOST!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PhantomJB93 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:59 pm

No #pens trade, but about uniforms that didn't make notes: No alternates at all next season. Maybe new ones in future. Vegas gold staying.

Rossi on uniforms...
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins