Game 37 vs Sabres - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 37 vs Sabres - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:03 am

Pens lose 4-1

- All streaks must end, and that is never fun. Frustrating to watch this game, but I held hope until late in the game
- Engblom & his counterpart should become names never spoken here. Shortly after discussing shutout streak it was broken, then they focused on winning streak. Talk about killjoys
- I felt that the absence of Letang & Martin was felt. Too many passes just off the mark for one timers.
- Sid would have eaten Miller for lunch in a big game like this. I pictured sid watching from his couch, sippy cups and foam bricks flying everywhere :wink:
- Combo of gaffe's from Vokoun, Nisky, Neal (penalties) were too much to overcome
- When Vokoun is off, he's way off. After the 2nd goal my Vokoun senses were tingling. I hope HCDB can better recognize when to pull him (if ever again)
- MAF looked strong in mop up duty, which was goodfantastic news
- Douglas Murray had some great battles & actually looked faster quicker not as slow as previous games
- TK had a few good plays in place of Sid, but I'm not holding out hope this is a viable option. Vitale, call up Trevor Smith, trade... whatever, but TK .... eesh
- I'm not big on fights, but perhaps a scrap early 2nd might have lit a fire. Something needed to be done, and it wasn't
- postgame body language screamed "pissed off" from some of the vets. I expect a much better effort from tonight's game
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 37 vs Sabres - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:05 am

I didn't watch the game so I don't know, but it sounded like one goal came off a bad giveaway and one off a deflection. How did the pens do with controlling the game? Sounded like not good.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:08 am

Still not seeing the Vokoun hate. Every goal something happened.
1) Nisky turned the puck over for no eason in the slot
2) Eaton provided a screen on a great shot
3) Orpik bumped Vokoun, some ask why Vokoun was there, it's because Orpik was out of position and continued to be by chasing behind the net
4) went off Engellend's stick 5 hole

Fleury would have given up all 4 too.

And let's end Kennedy as a center, he's garbage in that role. He has some good aspects of his game bit none of them can be used when you expect him to play defense, pass and set up plays.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:10 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I didn't watch the game so I don't know, but it sounded like one goal came off a bad giveaway and one off a deflection. How did the pens do with controlling the game? Sounded like not good.

Not good at all. They were outplayed by an inferior opponent again, just like the recent games vs NYI, Caps. Buf played above their heads, certainly, but Pens had little control or continuity. Good pressure in spots, but they were fighting uphill for the most part.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:16 am

Want to hear peoples thoughts on here from what I have heard in the past 24 hours from friends and co-workers.

-Morrow is garbage and useless

-Geno should wear the "C"

-Kunitz needs reunited with Malkin and Neal.

I find these all funny in some way shape or form.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby topshelf on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:17 am

- 15 games in a row in this NHL is quite the feat. Let's Go Pens!
- Vokoun was shaky. It happens. The best part of it all was seeing MAF come back in and play SOLID.
- This is a different game with Crosby, Martin, and Letang in the lineup. No question.
- Iginla got his first early. I see him having a big game tonight.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:19 am

DelPen wrote:Still not seeing the Vokoun hate. Every goal something happened.
1) Nisky turned the puck over for no eason in the slot
2) Eaton provided a screen on a great shot
3) Orpik bumped Vokoun, some ask why Vokoun was there, it's because Orpik was out of position and continued to be by chasing behind the net
4) went off Engellend's stick 5 hole

Fleury would have given up all 4 too.

And let's end Kennedy as a center, he's garbage in that role. He has some good aspects of his game bit none of them can be used when you expect him to play defense, pass and set up plays.

Not hating on the Vokoun, but when he goes all ...... "marionette like" in strange positions after goal is scored, it seems to suck the confidence from the team.
- On the Nisky giveaway, he got a piece of the shot without seemingly moving at all.
- Vokoun was shaky outside the net numerous times.
- Good point, Eaton did screen in an attempt to block shot, but Vokoun didn't appear to look around him.

Nothing but love for the all time SHUTOUT minute leader in Pens history!!!!
Last edited by Penspal on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:20 am

some of the calls in that game were bad. some of the effort was worse.

Morrow's cross-check penalty happens 20 times a game and doesnt get called. The dude cross checks Morrow; Morrow cross checks another dude. boom.

just one of those games.

move on.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slipshod on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 am

Everything the Pens did seemed a half second late. They would receive a pass and hold it just long enough to allow a Buf player to get their stick in the way.

I DID like the "Well we aren't going to win but we will check you into hell" 3rd period.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 am

canaan wrote:some of the calls in that game were bad. some of the effort was worse.

Morrow's cross-check penalty happens 20 times a game and doesnt get called. The dude cross checks Morrow; Morrow cross checks another dude. boom.

just one of those games.

move on.

Agreed, had intended to include that in the original post. Refs made their mark on the game for sure.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:25 am

vokoun was really bad. not all the goals were his fault, but he was shaky all night. bad rebound control, bad angles, bad decisions... he looked visibly uncomfortable out there. He has been lights out lately, and everyone has a stinker now and again, so i'm not too concerned.

Still, hard to pin the loss on the goalie when we only score one. Pretty bad effort, top to bottom. But i can't be too mad at this game because we're still generally playing pretty well. It'll be interesting to see how we bounce back tonight.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:26 am

canaan wrote:some of the calls in that game were bad. some of the effort was worse.

just one of those games.

move on.

I've noticed that Morrow much like Roberts and Guerin before him gets away with A LOT. He cross checks guys all the time in front of the net and hits guys from behind quite a bit but the refs def. give him the benefit of the doubt for the most part.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:31 am

-Flower looked strong which was good to see
-Iggy Neal and Geno are going to be magic
-I feel sorry for Duper and Kunitz right now
-I want more Duper bombs and Morrow in front on power plays while guys are out
-Orpik paired with anyone but Martin scares the crap out of me
-I like Murray's game and at this point signing him and trading off engo for next year would be alright in my book
-geno needs to get back to his shooting ways, especially on the PP
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:45 am

Is Morrow too slow to center the top line until Crosby come back? Put TK at the 3rd line center, Morrow on the top and see how that works?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:46 am

Niskanen was the worst player on the ice. Aside from the drop pass for their first goal, he made awful decisions all night and was out of position repeatedly.

Vokoun was way off his angle for the Ott goal. It reminded me of Osgoods positioning for one of Maxs goals in game 7.

Refs were stupid.

Like canaan, said just one of those games.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:48 am

Fleury and the PK were good but i still hated the pens play last night it was just awful. Seemed like there was no sense of urgency when they were down and were really sloppy. Also they took stupid penalties when they were down and it was lead by Engelland like always.

As long as they dont play like that tonight i dont really care the streak is over, it would have been nice to break the old record but it means nothing right now. I just hate losing at home like that to a bad team that lost most of its good players. Hopefully this loss brings them back down to earth a bit
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:52 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I didn't watch the game so I don't know, but it sounded like one goal came off a bad giveaway and one off a deflection. How did the pens do with controlling the game? Sounded like not good.

They had spurts, but nowhere near enough to generate quality chances. They barely had any shots and saying they looked flat is an understatement.

I chalk it up to just one of those games. Would have loved to see the streak continue (obviously), but this could actually help them a bit. They have a little adversity now on dealing with a loss and life isn't all perfect for them. Let's see how good that locker room truly is.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Inkio on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:53 am

-Vokoun did look a little shaky, but I do not blame him for the goals. Bad positioning by our defense and other mistakes led to them.
-So frustrating to see how many penalties there were in a row, then there are blatant trips and the refs don't call anything.
-I could tell Kunitz was frustrated, making passes to TK that Sid would have gotten... not receiving passes when Sid would have passed. He needs someone in center that has better vision.
-Flower looked great. Very confident in net, made some big saves.
-Murray is awesome, he shoots.. he checks... he stops pucks.. the exact d-man we needed.
-Orpik was a little wild and messed up a lot
-Geno was trying to make plays it just didn't seem to happen.
-I like Iggy on the right but Neal also seems lost on the left right now, he kept wandering over to the right.
-I am really tired of hearing people say Morrow is useless. He's drawn 2 penalties, tying up people in front of the net in his first game so a pass could go through directly resulted in a goal, he works hard along the boards, he makes the little plays like diving and tipping the puck forward into the neutral zone on defense. People seriously need to realize that no points doesn't mean he isn't doing anything. He wasn't brought on the team to put up big numbers... he was brought on the team for exactly what he is doing, the little plays that matter and the net/boards presence.
-Should have had Vitale in the lineup for faceoffs because Sid was out.
-Really missing Tanger and Martin

Let's see what adjustments are made tonight, if none HCDB needs a slap in the face. Go Pens!
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:56 am

- Vokoun had to save that shortie. Turning point goal right there.
- Nisky looked nervous on the point in the PP.
- Not seeing the benefit of Morrow yet, I'm sure that will change.
- Dear Ray: Please resign Murray.
- Iggy, Malkin and Neal are looking good even without chemistry built yet. You can just see the talent oozing there.
- Kunitz and Duper were good. TK... time to get a real center on that line.
- Tough game, let's see how they bounce back tonight.
- Not blaming injuries on this loss, but enough is enough and this game showed us that.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 am

This game was a perfect game to support my thoughts.

Every time Niskanen gets bumped up into the top 4, he falters. He is not a top 4 defenseman. He is a top #5 defense in the league. This is why Dallas got rid of him, because they already penciled him as a top 4 guy and he isn't.

Letang Despres
Martin Orpik
Niskanen Murray
Eaton/Engelland

Please Bylsma, It's logic. Use it.

edit, I know that there was injuries and Nisky had to play more. What I mean is stuff like keeping Eaton above Despres on the depth chart, etc.
Last edited by Nizzy on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 am

Since I'm sure some people are wondering, Fleury's current shutout streak is at 104:38 and he has given up only 2 goals in his last 288:47.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:04 am

*Only watched highlights due to 'blackout' - thanks again NHL Gamecenter Live
-Vokoun seems to over play dekes/wraps when off, shame shutout/win streak ended like that. Still very glad to have TV as backup.
-Iginla already clicking with Geno, could be the new 'best line in NHL' (till Sid returns!)
-TK may be the 'better' player but Jeffrey should be between Kunitz and Duper, it's his natural spot.
-Vitale's spark might have helped, still don't get why he's not being worked into PK. Glass/Adams roster spots are locked due to PK despite even strength performance, I'd be giving Adams a few games off so he can really 'bring it' come playoffs.
-Really missing Martin... Never thought I'd be saying that!
-The fact Shero is yet to give up a roster player has proven to be invaluable as this seasons injury epidemic strikes.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:06 am

Nizzy wrote:This game was a perfect game to support my thoughts.

Every time Niskanen gets bumped up into the top 4, he falters. He is not a top 4 defenseman. He is a top #5 defense in the league. This is why Dallas got rid of him, because they already penciled him as a top 4 guy and he isn't.

Letang Despres
Martin Orpik
Niskanen Murray
Eaton/Engelland

edit, I know that there was injuries and Nisky had to play more. What I mean is stuff like keeping Eaton above Despres on the depth chart, etc.

I probably play Eaton over Despres in that line up. Despres is showing his rookie colors, nothing to be ashamed of but not something I want in the playoffs.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:07 am

Nizzy wrote:This game was a perfect game to support my thoughts.

Letang Despres
Martin Orpik
Niskanen Murray
Eaton/Engelland

Despres is just as out of place in the top 4 as Niskanen is, at least at this stage of his career. Easton has been really good since he came back. Not sure what the problem is there. As it stands, Despres is our #7 guy when everyone is healthy.

If anything, Despres's recent struggles in a larger role show that Bylsma is handling him the right way. He's a year, maybe two, away from being really good. Now, he's a rookie who struggles with tougher assignments, and takes way too many bad penalties.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:09 am

-it was great to see fleury back out there.
-nothing was really clicking. i think it all starts with our D. we have 1 guy in the lineup who would be considered a real top 4 dman (orpik) - and he's a fringe one at that. eventually, that's going to be a problem.
-jeffrey will probably center that kunitz line tonight. yaaaaaay?
-iginla is good. i don't even care about the goal. he just executes at such a ridiculously high level.
-neal is a lost soul right now and geno is rust city, but the talent on that line is still potent.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins