Game 37 vs Sabres - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 37 vs Sabres - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:10 pm

DocEmrick wrote:Don't understand the hate for Geno. It was a poor team game, we're not going to win them all. The streak was unreal in today's NHL.

I will say without Sid we aren't going anywhere.

Geno has been poor all year. Take away last season, and the last 3 of 4 seasons have been less than impressive.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BleuLineLady on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 pm

When Crosby gets back-Bylsma should switch up the lines and move Iginla to the first line with Crosby and Dupuis. Move Kunitz with Malkin and Neal. I know, I know, nobody wants to break up the Crosby, Kunitz, Dupuis line. I say this just because it is evident that either Neal or Iginla are uncomfortable playing out of the positions they are used to. Now granted, that line is amazingly talented and everybody should be able to adjust, but I just see a better overall fit for the team by making that adjustment once Crosby is back.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:18 pm

BleuLineLady wrote:When Crosby gets back-Bylsma should switch up the lines and move Iginla to the first line with Crosby and Dupuis. Move Kunitz with Malkin and Neal. I know, I know, nobody wants to break up the Crosby, Kunitz, Dupuis line. I say this just because it is evident that either Neal or Iginla are uncomfortable playing out of the positions they are used to. Now granted, that line is amazingly talented and everybody should be able to adjust, but I just see a better overall fit for the team by making that adjustment once Crosby is back.

this seems very logical

reuniting "the best line in the NHL" from last year at the expense of "the best line in the NHL" from this year doesn't seem like a problem to me. especially since you're trading kunitz for that iginla guy.

if it's a priority to make neal a weapon, he needs to be comfortable. he doesn't seem versatile enough to handle the wrong wing position. he and geno have been all kinds of off at even strength this year. put kunitz back there and get them nice and comfy. i think sid can manage playing with iginla and dupuis.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:20 pm

I thought the Neal-Malkin-Iginla line was ridiculous, especially in the first period. Unlucky not to score 3-4 goals.

Vokoun was shaky, can't deny that.

They have lots of guys out, so can't make mistakes like Niskanen did, or all those penalties and expect to win against any team in the NHL.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:25 pm

any line with Sidney Crosby and Jarome Iginla on it has the potential to be better than the best line in the NHL. How many times has Dupuis set up Sid? Iginla can take some pressure off of Sid if you can imagine that...

Wishing Martin and Letang speedy recoveries.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:27 pm

The game was just UGLY. Move on and forget about it. One of these games was bound to occur at some point.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:31 pm

This actually looked just like the last game vs the Sabres, take out Crosby who was dominant but the team defense was incredibly sloppy and we had a full team then.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:38 pm

TrueNorth wrote:The team went from stellar to cellar play last night. That the streak would end was inevitable, and while I’m not happy that it ended on such a sour note, I’m not surprised either. This happens to the very best of teams, and not infrequently. Now that the new guys have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly, everyone can regroup and get back to playing good, solid hockey down the stretch.

Well said TN.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:42 pm

We need to borrow Michel Therrien for about 20 minutes or so. To light a fire under Malkin. He has done it before. :thumb: Of course, the Montreal management might have something to say about this. :face:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:06 pm

Good:
- PK, nothing else can be said about this.

- MAF is still very very sharp. WOOOHOO!

Bad:
- Malkin needs to really return to Malkin form. There are glimpses, but overall, he's just not the same hardware winner this season. Yeah he was injured, but even prior to that. We're talking about a guy that supposedly went to the KHL to stay sharp. NHL season starts... and he just looks tired.

- Neal. If you're not going to contribute offensively don't be the reason why your team's offense is shut down for 2 minutes while you take yet another selfish penalty.

- Had to lose sometime, at least it was to a team that it was not not really a 4pt swing.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Penspal on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:11 pm

I firmly believe the Pens will come out fired up for the Rags. Seeing Kunitz, Duper, Adams late and postgame... they looked po'ed. Tonight is going to be a good one.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:TO be fair, he turned a 20 goal scorer into that 40 goal scorer.

That is a valid point. Last season he was in top form, but so far this season he has slid back to his previous levels from the two years following the Cup win. Removing Kunitz from the line was obviously a factor, but now they've added a top flight goal scorer in his spot. It may take a few games for the chemistry to develop, but the bottom line is that Geno has two great linemates again so he needs to start scoring some goals.

They need him.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:37 pm

TrueNorth wrote:The team went from stellar to cellar play last night. That the streak would end was inevitable, and while I’m not happy that it ended on such a sour note, I’m not surprised either. This happens to the very best of teams, and not infrequently. Now that the new guys have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly, everyone can regroup and get back to playing good, solid hockey down the stretch.

Yup. And I'd rather it happen against the Sabers and have them all newly refocused for the Rangers, even if it's just to keep one more team ahead of the Flyers.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:40 pm

I think it was very selfish of Crosby to take a puck to the face at the time that he did. Instead of giving his team 4 weeks to gel and work out line combinations, he is sitting on the sofa drinking milkshakes. :pop:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Pens had a bad game where the bounces weren’t going their way, the penalties were against them, and they made plenty of mistakes. It reminded me of the inverse of the Jets game a while back.

I actually don’t mind that the winning streak is over. It was sort of a distraction.

I’d be more upset about the bad game if it weren’t the first loss for more than a month.

The complete and utter jagoff who sits in the row behind me and attends maybe 1/3 of the games was there last night. This guy narrates the game out loud and is a complete and utter tool bag. Among his gems:
- Vokoun totally sucks, is the worst goalie ever, and should have been pulled after the first goal.
- Morrow is a complete bum and doesn’t belong in the league.
- He makes up nicknames for the players and uses them constantly. “Nice shot G!” “Shoot Sutsy!”
- If the flow turns against the Pens, he switches to being pessimistic. “Geez, this team sucks!” “That's the worst forecheck ever!”

I’ve had people sitting next to me lean over and ask me “Does that ***hole come to every game?” He’s that annoying.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins