Game 37 vs Sabres - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 37 vs Sabres - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Bioshock on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:10 am

CERV96 wrote:Want to hear peoples thoughts on here from what I have heard in the past 24 hours from friends and co-workers.

-Morrow is garbage and useless

-Geno should wear the "C"

-Kunitz needs reunited with Malkin and Neal.

I find these all funny in some way shape or form.

Why U do dis?

Okay... let's see...

-Morrow isn't garbage and useless. He a great net-front presence and a very good left winger on a 3rd or 2nd line. He's there to create space and get dirty goals. Whoever said this doesn't know what they are talking about

-Geno should wear the "C" eh? Well... whoever said that is also an idiot.

-Kunitz should be reunited with Geno and Neal? Not really... Not when your captain is coming back and you have intentions of keeping the Kunitz/Dupuis/Crosby line together come playoff time. I can understand why this was said but that isn't the coach's thinking.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:14 am

salute for a great season streak!
I was happy to stand for Brooks' ovation .
Seeing Jarome Iginla as penguin is going to take a awhile to be normal. I see him as a visiting all star.
Ryan Miller, the only one happy Sid wasn't on the ice. Last night, first time I remember a strong game from him against the penguins.
postgame body language screamed "pissed off" from some of the vets. I expect a much better effort from tonight's game

^ exactly
On to NYC!

spoiled fan quote: well there goes the shutout. :roll:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:35 am

I'm not a fan of Iginla and neal ont he same line. neither looks right on LW. Would it really be so bad to put Dupuis on the 3rd line?

Kunitz-Crosby (Jeffrey for now)-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Adams-Kennedy

Seems more balanced, everyone is where they are their most effective, just a thought.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:40 am

At least Iginla opened his account. Malkin grabbing the puck:

Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:41 am

Yea, I don't get the "we don't want to hurt Dupuis's feelings" by putting him on the 3rd line.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:42 am

The problem I have with Morrow is that he is surviving on his name and past. Bennett looks 10X the player that Morrow is. He is better with the puck, faster, better hands, and a better shot. Why we would deliberately hurt our offensive chances to play someone as slow as Morrow I have no idea. Every team in the NHL gives kids a chance, and so did the Pens when they won the cup with Staal and Sid and such. You can't have a full team of geezers.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IMFC on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:43 am

The cross checking call/non-call: only thing that makes sense here is that it's a 'culture' call, that the refs are conditioned to call it high on the back only. Morrow really didn't argue it much, almost like he knew the difference which would explain why he gets away with so much - he ignores the rulebook and plays the game as it's enforced instead.

Still, the two cross checks back to back like that makes the call look assinine.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Froggy on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:44 am

SolidSnake wrote:Yea, I don't get the "we don't want to hurt Dupuis's feelings" by putting him on the 3rd line.

Doesn't Dupuis have almost 20 goals? It's not like he's dead weight
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:46 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:The problem I have with Morrow is that he is surviving on his name and past. Bennett looks 10X the player that Morrow is. He is better with the puck, faster, better hands, and a better shot. Why we would deliberately hurt our offensive chances to play someone as slow as Morrow I have no idea. Every team in the NHL gives kids a chance, and so did the Pens when they won the cup with Staal and Sid and such. You can't have a full team of geezers.

Morrow is 34, Iginla 35. Eaton is 35 and Murray is 33. We were lacking some veteran presence on the team that Crosby and Malkin could rely on like we had with Guerin.

I have no problem getting Morrow if that bumps Bennett out of the lineup. same thing with Murray and Eaton for now over Despres. Their time will come, windows of opportunity in the NHL are slim and the players Shero added help.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:47 am

Caught bits & pieces of the game, but:
- Neal has got to stop taking dumb penalties. A little self-control would be nice. And he did look lost out there.
- MAF was stellar in relief - just "sparkling" as Mike Lange would say.
- Vokoun was off and it seems obvious when he is. HCDB needs to use the hook a little faster on Vokoun.
- Funny how Martin has gone from goat to vital in this team's defensive alignments, isn't it? He was missed.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:47 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:The problem I have with Morrow is that he is surviving on his name and past. Bennett looks 10X the player that Morrow is. He is better with the puck, faster, better hands, and a better shot. Why we would deliberately hurt our offensive chances to play someone as slow as Morrow I have no idea. Every team in the NHL gives kids a chance, and so did the Pens when they won the cup with Staal and Sid and such. You can't have a full team of geezers.

i haven't been that impressed with morrow, but the idea is that in the playoffs, he's going to add the intangibles that bennett can't.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:47 am

Froggy wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Yea, I don't get the "we don't want to hurt Dupuis's feelings" by putting him on the 3rd line.

He's not but you shouldn't be forcing Iginla or Neal to the LW just to keep Dupuis in the top 6.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:55 am

DelPen wrote:I'm not a fan of Iginla and neal ont he same line. neither looks right on LW. Would it really be so bad to put Dupuis on the 3rd line?

Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Adams-Kennedy

Seems more balanced, everyone is where they are their most effective, just a thought.

This makes a ton of sense to me rather than have Neal and Cooke forced into less comfortable positions (not to mention TK's current position!).
I read a quote from HCDB stating how well respected Dupuis is in the locker room and it also made reference to chemistry. I fully respect this and am one of Duper's biggest fans but by keeping him on the top line you mess up the chemistry of lines 2 and 3!

In addition I think Vitale is a better ES player than Adams and would work pretty well with speedy TK, but won't get a sniff as he doesn't PK (despite seeming like an ideal candidate for the role).
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:59 am

shmenguin wrote:

i haven't been that impressed with morrow, but the idea is that in the playoffs, he's going to add the intangibles that bennett can't.

I can't imagine how those intangibles could outweigh giving your future top 6 winger valuable playing time down the stretch and into the playoffs. The Pens seem to have forgotten that Guerin was just one guy and there were a lot of kids around him back then. I wonder if Ray knew he was going to get Iginla if he would still make that trade.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:00 am

Luckybreak wrote:
DelPen wrote:I'm not a fan of Iginla and neal ont he same line. neither looks right on LW. Would it really be so bad to put Dupuis on the 3rd line?

Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Adams-Kennedy

This makes a ton of sense to me rather than have Neal and Cooke forced into less comfortable positions (not to mention TK's current position!).
I read a quote from HCDB stating how well respected Dupuis is in the locker room and it also made reference to chemistry. I fully respect this and am one of Duper's biggest fans but by keeping him on the top line you mess up the chemistry of lines 2 and 3!

In addition I think Vitale is a better ES player than Adams and would work pretty well with speedy TK, but won't get a sniff as he doesn't PK (despite seeming like an ideal candidate for the role).

I'd play Vitale over Kennedy too, even right now he'd be better on the top line than Kennedy and having Jeffrey play over him on the 4th line is stupid.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:02 am

DelPen wrote:
Froggy wrote:

He's not but you shouldn't be forcing Iginla or Neal to the LW just to keep Dupuis in the top 6.

So, why do you want to break up the best line in the NHL?
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:03 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I can't imagine how those intangibles could outweigh giving your future top 6 winger valuable playing time down the stretch and into the playoffs. The Pens seem to have forgotten that Guerin was just one guy and there were a lot of kids around him back then. I wonder if Ray knew he was going to get Iginla if he would still make that trade.

Who were these kids? There was no one in a similar situation as Bennett and Despres in 2008 or 2009.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:04 am

JoseCuervo wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Froggy wrote:

Because it can be even better with Iginla?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:08 am

DelPen wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:

Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Adams-Kennedy

I'd play Vitale over Kennedy too, even right now he'd be better on the top line than Kennedy and having Jeffrey play over him on the 4th line is stupid.

Agreed. It just seems like Bylsma sometimes wants that square peg to fit in that round hole so much... "If I keep hitting it then it's got to go in"
Vitale has upped his game IMO and this should've been the season to ease him into the PK ready to replace Adams. He seems smart enough, is willing to sacrifice the body and his speed could really, well, kill.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 am

This is a patchwork team right now because of all the additions and injuries. We just need to relax, build chemistry, and let them get to their game.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 am

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Who were these kids? There was no one in a similar situation as Bennett and Despres in 2008 or 2009.

Letang (in 2008) is about the only one I can think of, and he was seeing bottom-pairing minutes with Eaton then. In 2009 we really didn't have any rookies on the playoff roster.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:12 am

DelPen wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Froggy wrote:

Because it can be even better with Iginla?

Just like Rick Nash made the top line of the Rangers amazing?

Don't fix what isn't broken.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:14 am

thepittman wrote:Just like Rick Nash made the top line of the Rangers amazing?

Don't fix what isn't broken.

Nash and his centerman lead the Rangers in scoring... not sure if serious.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:14 am

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Ok. Um, Kris Letang (21 yrs old) (despres=21)
Sid (21), Jordan Staal (20), TK (22), Malkin (22), do I need to continue? Beau was a 1st round pick as well so no more of a reach than anyone other than Sid.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:15 am

Vitale has the best faceoff percentage on the team at 63.0%. The Pens going 40.4% last night against the 2nd worst faceoff team in the league just further illustrates why he's needed in the lineup.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins