Game 37 vs Sabres - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 37 vs Sabres - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:51 am

Vokoun played poorly,but that happens to all goalies from time to time.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:54 am

positives:

- They didn't mail it in down 4-1, keeping it from becoming far worse.
- PK - the PK looked very good for yet another game.
- Kunitz got a point and Stamkos did not.

general comments:
Sometimes flukes can beat you. But I'd wager the Sabres put themselves in position to earn those flukes. I thought the Pens didn't play a good possession game, and didn't get near enough shots on net.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:00 am

Bioshock wrote:
CERV96 wrote:Want to hear peoples thoughts on here from what I have heard in the past 24 hours from friends and co-workers.

-Morrow is garbage and useless

-Geno should wear the "C"

-Kunitz needs reunited with Malkin and Neal.

I find these all funny in some way shape or form.

Why U do dis?

Okay... let's see...

-Morrow isn't garbage and useless. He a great net-front presence and a very good left winger on a 3rd or 2nd line. He's there to create space and get dirty goals. Whoever said this doesn't know what they are talking about

-Geno should wear the "C" eh? Well... whoever said that is also an idiot.

-Kunitz should be reunited with Geno and Neal? Not really... Not when your captain is coming back and you have intentions of keeping the Kunitz/Dupuis/Crosby line together come playoff time. I can understand why this was said but that isn't the coach's thinking.

I gave similar responses to each one. Just didn't want to think I was crazy to disagree with all of this.

Thanks.

On a side note on the 3rd one. You need to keep #12 happy. His exact words were I want to play with 87 & 71. He left for here to do this. Plus rumor has it he wants to resign here. Keep the man happy!

Thanks to Pitts as well for his responses.
Last edited by CERV96 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:02 am

Pitts wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I wonder if Ray knew he was going to get Iginla if he would still make that trade.

Some think he made that trade to get Iginla.

I believe 100% that already having Morrow allowed him to take a "take it or leave it" stance when Feaster came back waiving the Boston scratches in his face.

People need to calm down on the line shuffling, too old tips. We lost a game. The team will rebound and Bennett will come back up after the deadline passes. It's going to be OK.

In some way the Pens HAD to lose - to restore order on LGP.com.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:02 am

I understand that with adding Iginla (and to a lesser extent Morrow) to the team, and with Sid on the shelf for a while, that you would have to tinker with the lines somewhat. But for the life of me I don't understand Kennedy (3rd, sometime 4th line RW) going to the top line to play center. You move the 3rd line center to the 2nd line, don't you? Happened all the time with Stall whenever Sid & Geno were out, which has been pretty frequent since January '11. And Sutter does the same thing for the Pens as Stall did: 3rd line centeman, PK, good in the faceoff circle). So what am I missing here? :?:

BEPF
Last edited by Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:11 am

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:I understand that with adding Iginla (and to a lesser extent Morrow) to the team, and with Sid on the shelf for a while, that you would have to tinker with the lines somewhat. But for the life of me I don't understand Kennedy (3rd, sometime 4th line RW) going to the top line to play center. You move the 3rd line center to the 2nd line, don't you) Happened all the time with Stall whenever Sid & Geno were out, which has been pretty frequent since January '11. And Sutter does the same thing for the Pens as Stall did: 3rd line centeman, PK, good in the faceoff circle). So what am I missing here? :?:

BEPF

Bylsma logic :?

But in seriousness I think they want to get Sutter settled into his shutdown role and not repeat what happened with Staal vs the Flyers.
However, why Jeffrey/Vitale aren't centering that line is beyond me.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:13 am

This was also the biggest game the sabres are going to play this year, it was their super bowl. They where ready to play, the pens looks bored for the most part. A loss is a good thing now and then.

i have no problem giving the sabres two meaningless points, now lets bury the rangers playoff hopes this week
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:13 am

Malkin is always looking to set up Iginla. If he'd looked for either Tangradi or Boychuk even half as much, they'd still be on the Pens. :pop:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:18 am

What a stinker of a game to go to for my only in person attendance this season.. just awful. The only 5 minutes that were worth anything was the Iggy goal to the Orpik ovation, the rest of it was terrible.

Atleast Fluery was back and played really well

Murray introduced himself to that garbage bag Kaleta at the first whistle of the game after Kaleta threw a bit of elbow at someone, and then Murray crushed him 2 or 3 times throughout the game. Infact Kaleta got leveled multiple times, ending up on the ice, which is great to see every time.

Other than that, the Pens looked asleep and/or lost out there. I didn't like the way they were trying to move the puck up the ice, especially late in second period and all of the third. They were not coming as a 5 man unit, rather, back to the old stretch pass crap where the forwards are out beyond the blue line in the nuetral zone whilst the defensemen are still way deep in the zone, at times still under forecheck from a Sabres player. Just not smart. The d guy had nothing but terrible outlet passes 30 to 50 feet and no puck support behind them.

What a stinker. Atleast noone got hurt.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:20 am

Tico Rick wrote:Malkin is always looking to set up Iginla. If he'd looked for either Tangradi or Boychuk even half as much, they'd still be on the Pens. :pop:

For what its worth I supported Boychuck and Tangradi (for whatever reason, I forget now) but can't blame Geno looking for Iginla!
The line looks good and will click soon enough, I just hope Neal gets comfortable back on LW, not much point him being on the ice unless he's one-timing Geno's passes.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:22 am

Part of me thinks once the Pens gave up that 2nd goal, they just said "Screw it" and tried to get out of the game healthy.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:27 am

MRandall25 wrote:Part of me thinks once the Pens gave up that 2nd goal, they just said "Screw it" and tried to get out of the game healthy.

That's a bothersome mentality.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:29 am

sil wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Part of me thinks once the Pens gave up that 2nd goal, they just said "Screw it" and tried to get out of the game healthy.

Not really. Not when you're on a 15 game streak. I feel they got down and realized there were more important things than the streak. I don't see that as bothersome.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:29 am

Total stinker of a game.

Vokoun was bad, but it happens. Our PP was a joke and is an embarrassment considering the players we have. Even when we're healthy it's not very fluid. We score on a LOT of broken plays and have trouble entering and gaining the zone. It would be nice to see us actually have some consistency, rather than depending on those broken play goals.

Malkin has to be better. It's about as simple as you can put it, he has to be better. Guys like Kessel, Kadri, Gagner, and on and on have been more dangerous than him this year. His passing is awful, his decisions are awful, his faceoffs are STILL awful, and he's not bringing much at all.

What happened to the dangerous Geno that basically took over every game? Take away the injuries and he still wasn't the same. He has to figure it out or this team is going to struggle. This team goes as Sid goes, and if Sid isn't there, they need Malkin to lead the way. He needs to step up and lead this team as we know he can do. He has two great wingers, there's no excuses.

The return of Letang will help this team, however not the PP. We need his skating, his passing, and Engelland out of the lineup.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:31 am

MRandall25 wrote:
sil wrote:

Not really. Not when you're on a 15 game streak. I feel they got down and realized there were more important things than the streak. I don't see that as bothersome.

Hmmm. Okay. To me, a team giving up after going down 2-1 isn't a good thing. But this doesn't matter, because I don't think this was the case anyway.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:38 am

murphydump55 wrote:Total stinker of a game.

Vokoun was bad, but it happens. Our PP was a joke and is an embarrassment considering the players we have. Even when we're healthy it's not very fluid. We score on a LOT of broken plays and have trouble entering and gaining the zone. It would be nice to see us actually have some consistency, rather than depending on those broken play goals.

Malkin has to be better. It's about as simple as you can put it, he has to be better. Guys like Kessel, Kadri, Gagner, and on and on have been more dangerous than him this year. His passing is awful, his decisions are awful, his faceoffs are STILL awful, and he's not bringing much at all.

What happened to the dangerous Geno that basically took over every game? Take away the injuries and he still wasn't the same. He has to figure it out or this team is going to struggle. This team goes as Sid goes, and if Sid isn't there, they need Malkin to lead the way. He needs to step up and lead this team as we know he can do. He has two great wingers, there's no excuses.

The return of Letang will help this team, however not the PP. We need his skating, his passing, and Engelland out of the lineup.

Martin and Letang leave exceptionally large skates and chunks of ice time to fill. With regards to Malkin, I agree he needs to be better but think he was really lost without Kunitz and struggled with the merry-go-round of left wingers. Just as Bennett was hitting his stride Geno is injured, he comes back to Morrow (a legit Kunitz type), but that all changed with the addition of Iginla... The talent alone will get that line through, I just hope Neal isn't a casualty, not sure he can play a role other than 'the shooter'.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:41 am

I haven't felt this good after a loss in awhile. I'm not glad they lost; continuing the streak would've been great. But I'm glad they got a reality check and a reminder of how it feels to lose a game, especially against a gutted, inferior opponent playing for pride. The Sabres didn't stand around and ogle their awesomeness like the Jets did, and teams aren't going to do that in the POs.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Pens' response tonight. The NYR have everything to play for right now.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:46 am

Luckybreak wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:Total stinker of a game.

Martin and Letang leave exceptionally large skates and chunks of ice time to fill. With regards to Malkin, I agree he needs to be better but think he was really lost without Kunitz and struggled with the merry-go-round of left wingers. Just as Bennett was hitting his stride Geno is injured, he comes back to Morrow (a legit Kunitz type), but that all changed with the addition of Iginla... The talent alone will get that line through, I just hope Neal isn't a casualty, not sure he can play a role other than 'the shooter'.

I feel like Neal made that line go a couple times last night. They couldn't get it in the zone/couldn't dump and chase and on more than a few occassions Neal was the one able to carry the puck in or free it up for Geno/Iginla to work magic. That line will be just fine.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby indian on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 am

# FireBylsma .. just kidding

* Iggy is RW play him on RW, he is a HOFer dammit.
* Neal is a natural LW play him on LW dammit.
* TK is a RW, play him as RW not center dammit.
* Cooke is a LWer play him as LW dammit.
* Jeffery is a center, he can fill in for now dammit.

Players in natural positions means another streak... dammit.
indian
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:50 am

Pavel Bure wrote:I feel like Neal made that line go a couple times last night. They couldn't get it in the zone/couldn't dump and chase and on more than a few occassions Neal was the one able to carry the puck in or free it up for Geno/Iginla to work magic. That line will be just fine.

Good to know - I couldn't watch the game due to NHL Gamecenter blackout restrictions so missed important non-goal events! :cry:
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:54 am

If you take out his stats from last season and count the seasons 2010, 2011, and this current year, here are Geno's stats:

134 gp, 49g, 92a, 141 pts and a minus -9

This season he has been given a 50 goal scorer and a 40 goal scorer on his wings. No more excuses for Geno. In the wake of Sid's injury, he needs to step up, grow a pair, and earn his paycheck.

That is all.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:57 am

TO be fair, he turned a 20 goal scorer into that 40 goal scorer.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:59 am

sil wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
sil wrote:

Hmmm. Okay. To me, a team giving up after going down 2-1 isn't a good thing. But this doesn't matter, because I don't think this was the case anyway.

I never said "give up". Mail it in seems more like an apt term. They tried, but in the end, they were more concerned about getting out healthy, IMO.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:06 pm

Don't understand the hate for Geno. It was a poor team game, we're not going to win them all. The streak was unreal in today's NHL.

I will say without Sid we aren't going anywhere.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:06 pm

The team went from stellar to cellar play last night. That the streak would end was inevitable, and while I’m not happy that it ended on such a sour note, I’m not surprised either. This happens to the very best of teams, and not infrequently. Now that the new guys have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly, everyone can regroup and get back to playing good, solid hockey down the stretch.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins