Jussi Jokinen to Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Jussi Jokinen to Pens

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:03 am

Gaucho wrote:We're so loaded we could have a 4th line of Bennett-Jokinen-TK. I'm not sure some teams' 2nd lines are that much better.

adams will play for Bennett in this scenario, but i don't think it's a priority to give him even strength minutes. him and glass spending 5 ES minutes a game laying decent hits on dmen is no great loss. it would be one thing if they were on lock down in their own end, but that isn't the case.

and i'd rather see bennett over TK at this point, honestly. kennedy is a lost soul out there. at least let him sit out a few games to get his head straight.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:14 am

Even at $2.1 million next season, I'd buy out Jokinen in an instant. The only way he should stay is if they fail to keep most of the UFA forwards.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:16 am

How do you get better value out of that cap space?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:33 am

Gaucho wrote:We're so loaded we could have a 4th line of Bennett-Jokinen-TK. I'm not sure some teams' 2nd lines are that much better.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Bennett
Cooke-Jokinen-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

And you still have Jeffrey :) That's depth provided Malkin and Crosby aren't out of the lineup otherwise everything sucks unless Jokinen can fill the void which I think he can.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:36 am

Idoit40fans wrote:How do you get better value out of that cap space?

It all depends if Jokinen can play well in a scoring and defensive role. He needs to be better than Kennedy and Jeffrey in the top 6, don't think that will be a problem, and also be as good in the PK as Glass and Adams and also be able to get a cycle going on the 4th line, again I don't see that being a problem.

But if I'm wrong, as I often am, and he can't fill multiple roles that $2.1 million doesn't work which is why I don't like Kennedy's cap hit for the very limited role he brings to this team.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:47 am

Jokinen can PK though, he instantly brings something that Kennedy doesn't. He will also slot into the shootout which does mean something no matter how many people think its a joke.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:54 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Jokinen can PK though, he instantly brings something that Kennedy doesn't. He will also slot into the shootout which does mean something no matter how many people think its a joke.

The absolute first thing I though when we got Jokinen was "Kennedy's replacement next year." The fact that it's (pretty much) the same cap hit is grand. I also think Jussi's history with Sutter plays into this as well.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:01 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Even at $2.1 million next season, I'd buy out Jokinen in an instant. The only way he should stay is if they fail to keep most of the UFA forwards.

There's a lot of speculation that both Kennedy and Cooke will be gone this summer. If so, then Jokinen @ $2.1-million is a good pick up.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Even at $2.1 million next season, I'd buy out Jokinen in an instant. The only way he should stay is if they fail to keep most of the UFA forwards.

We'll see how he does, but I'm not so sure he's a definite buyout candidate. I think he may run TK out of Pittsburgh. Morrow walks, I believe, possibly Matt Cooke. Keep Jokinen (because he can play anywhere) and Iginla.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:10 pm

tfrizz wrote:

There's a lot of speculation that both Kennedy and Cooke will be gone this summer. If so, then Jokinen @ $2.1-million is a good pick up.

is that his cap hit or just the amount the pens pay him?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:19 pm

Ugh, I really hope they can bring Cooke back for an affordable price. Our PK is bad enough as it is.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:20 pm

shmenguin wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

That's a good question.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:27 pm

sil wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

That's a good question.

Both.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:29 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
sil wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

That's a good question.

Both.

:thumb:

It's sort of like the now defunct re-entry waivers system. If you claimed a guy off re-entry waivers, you only took on 1/2 of his salary and 1/2 of his cap hit - which, incidentally, is the maximum a team can retain in a trade under the new CBA.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:33 pm

LW for Malkin next year. Rotate him with Bennett, get Bennett there full time around game 50, Juicy goes to third/fourth line and plays quick defensive hockey while being able to step in to take draws if needed.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:33 pm

Iginla, Dupuis, and Cooke all should be priorities over Jokinen. Morrow, depending on how he performs in the playoffs (which will show his true value) also might be someone I'd rather see back. Kennedy should be gone regardless. I think you consider keeping Jokinen only if you can't get any of those guys signed.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Worst case is he's insurance in case all the UFA's flee.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:49 pm

DelPen wrote:Worst case is he's insurance in case all the UFA's flee.

Yeah. I don't have any issue with him as that. He's nice depth now as he essentially cost nothing. They can easily buy him out after the season if they need the cap room to keep better players. If those don't work out he's still a useful player to keep around for next season. First and foremost, I'd do whatever I could do to keep Iginla and some of those others around, even if it means sacrificing guys like Kennedy, Jokinen, maybe even Niskanen.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Iginla, Dupuis, and Cooke all should be priorities over Jokinen. Morrow, depending on how he performs in the playoffs (which will show his true value) also might be someone I'd rather see back. Kennedy should be gone regardless. I think you consider keeping Jokinen only if you can't get any of those guys signed.

Somebody like Orpik or Niskanen could be traded in order the get the forwards we need re-signed. We certainly have more defensive depth than forward depth in the organization.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:01 pm

From Twitter:
CapGeek ‏@capgeek 2h
Sources say #Canes will pick up 30% of Jussi Jokinen's contract: ~$227K in cap for remainder of this season, $900K in cap next season.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Henry Hank wrote:

Yeah. I don't have any issue with him as that. He's nice depth now as he essentially cost nothing. They can easily buy him out after the season if they need the cap room to keep better players. If those don't work out he's still a useful player to keep around for next season. First and foremost, I'd do whatever I could do to keep Iginla and some of those others around, even if it means sacrificing guys like Kennedy, Jokinen, maybe even Niskanen.

Apparently several teams were interested, but all wanted Carolina to either take a player in return or retain salary. This is basically what Shero worked out. Carolina is all but guaranteed to not get a draft pick with the way the conditions were set, and they retain 30% of his salary. With no roster limit, tons of cap space, and two compliance buyouts to space, this is as low risk as it gets.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:18 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:

Apparently several teams were interested, but all wanted Carolina to either take a player in return or retain salary. This is basically what Shero worked out. Carolina is all but guaranteed to not get a draft pick with the way the conditions were set, and they retain 30% of his salary. With no roster limit, tons of cap space, and two compliance buyouts to space, this is as low risk as it gets.

Oh, they are getting our 6th rounder :)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:27 pm

DelPen wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:

Oh, they are getting our 6th rounder :)

I hope they do because that means 1) the Pens made it to the SCF, and 2) Jokinen played well enough to keep a spot in the lineup.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:30 pm

if we ditch TK, niskanen and morrow, get cooke back at the same price, and somehow re-sign dupuis for 2.5-3 mill, we'll be somewhere around 58 mill in salary. this is without jokinen.

keeping jokinen at an 2.1 mill may mean the difference between being able to re-sign iginla and losing out on him because of his cap hit. he's a nice luxury, but without him, we could potentially still have a lineup of:

12-87-9*
14-71-18
19-16-24
15-46-27**

...that's pretty stellar. i imagine iginla would cost about 5-6 mill, so this would put us right at the cap. but honestly, i don't know if we can resign him because of our cap situation the following year. though i guess the cap will probably go up. maybe even significantly so.

*mix up the wings however you like
**sadly, i think they'll bring adams back
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:31 pm

shmenguin wrote:

adams will play for Bennett in this scenario, but i don't think it's a priority to give him even strength minutes. him and glass spending 5 ES minutes a game laying decent hits on dmen is no great loss. it would be one thing if they were on lock down in their own end, but that isn't the case.

and i'd rather see bennett over TK at this point, honestly. kennedy is a lost soul out there. at least let him sit out a few games to get his head straight.

Oh, it's not going to actually be our 4th line. If we somehow manage to stay healthy I can see BB spending all of the playoffs in the press box.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins