Jussi Jokinen to Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Jussi Jokinen to Pens

Postby dbizzle66 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:45 am

pekkasteele wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Great game by Juicy or JJ,whatever :) He was flying out there and was a beast on faceoff dot,13 - 2!! I knew he was good player,but I thought he lost a step a bit in last two seasons,but didnt.. Could be replacement for TK next season for that price.
If you think of it know,he is too good of a player to be playing 4th line minutes.. So do we dump Cooke to 4th line? But where to play JJ,hm!? He should take faceoffs,that for sure..even if he will play LW otherwise.. Jokinen - Sutter - Morrow/Cooke 3rd line!
Blysma will have a lot to think about..

Easy, 3rd for JJ

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Neal - Malkin - Bennett
Jokinen - Sutter - Dupuis
Cooke - Vitale/Adams - Morrow

3 lines that realy can score, Jokinen and Sutetr can share time in the faceoff circle, and think about that 4th line!

I like putting Duper with "the Juice" as well ...
dbizzle66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby djlm on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:02 am

Pens4Life wrote:Great game by Juicy or JJ,whatever :)

People say JJ, I hear Daigneault.
djlm
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby headh on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:27 am

pekkasteele wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Great game by Juicy or JJ,whatever :) He was flying out there and was a beast on faceoff dot,13 - 2!! I knew he was good player,but I thought he lost a step a bit in last two seasons,but didnt.. Could be replacement for TK next season for that price.
If you think of it know,he is too good of a player to be playing 4th line minutes.. So do we dump Cooke to 4th line? But where to play JJ,hm!? He should take faceoffs,that for sure..even if he will play LW otherwise.. Jokinen - Sutter - Morrow/Cooke 3rd line!
Blysma will have a lot to think about..

Easy, 3rd for JJ

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Neal - Malkin - Bennett
Jokinen - Sutter - Dupuis
Cooke - Vitale/Adams - Morrow

3 lines that realy can score, Jokinen and Sutetr can share time in the faceoff circle, and think about that 4th line!

I think you are really close. Bennett is not going to play in the playoffs. He's simply too easy to knock off of the puck. The addition of iginla, jussi and morrow gives us a real third line opportunity. Mine would look like

Sutter Crosby iginla
Morrow Malkin Neal
Kunitz jussi dupuis
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Inkio on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:34 am

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Adams-Jokinen-TK

Why would you ever put Jokinen not on center with his faceoff skills? That's just stupid.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:38 am

JONES IS IN U... JK!
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:30 am

Inkio wrote:Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Adams-Jokinen-TK

Why would you ever put Jokinen not on center with his faceoff skills? That's just stupid.

Personally i'd prefer Vitale over Kennedy, and don't really care who faceoffs between him and Jokinen.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:17 am

djlm wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Great game by Juicy or JJ,whatever :)

People say JJ, I hear Daigneault.

It was weird seeing a 36 out there last night. I kept thinking of Barnaby.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Inkio wrote:Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Adams-Jokinen-TK

Not more stupid than having him on the 4th line playing 4-5 min/ game.

On the 3rd at wing, he could still be of use to the team AND take faceoffs.
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:33 pm

Jokinen could still find a decent amount of playing time as a fourth liner. Adams, Glass, Vitale have played 8-9 minutes a game at ES. Second PP unit guys like Kennedy and Sutter are getting about a minute a game. He'd get another minute and a half to two minutes on the PK. 12-13 minutes of ice time seems about right for him. They can always spot him whenever they need a faceoff win.

I was fine with the pick-up but the more you look at what he can do it appears he's going to be a very valuable role player. Kind of reminiscent of the Adams pick-up in 2009 where he picked up a valuable guy off the scrap heap for nothing.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:44 pm

I assume JJ will see second PP time too.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:47 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Jokinen could still find a decent amount of playing time as a fourth liner. Adams, Glass, Vitale have played 8-9 minutes a game at ES. Second PP unit guys like Kennedy and Sutter are getting about a minute a game. He'd get another minute and a half to two minutes on the PK. 12-13 minutes of ice time seems about right for him. They can always spot him whenever they need a faceoff win.

I was fine with the pick-up but the more you look at what he can do it appears he's going to be a very valuable role player. Kind of reminiscent of the Adams pick-up in 2009 where he picked up a valuable guy off the scrap heap for nothing.

I think he makes the prospect of Jeffrey getting playing time pretty slim, and I actually like Jeffrey for what he was intended to be - which is a jack of all trades master of none.

Jokinen is better in just about every category AND adds the flexibility of being able to play all positions up and down the lineup.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:47 pm

All I know is a fourth line of Adams-Jokinen-Kennedy looks a lot better than that Glass-Vitale-Adams stuff we were rolling out most of the season. (I'm assuming 14-87-9 and 12-71-18 stay together and Cooke remains with Morrow and Sutter, that just seems logical to me)
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Now that’s the way to make a good first impression on your new boss and teammates! Jussi delivered just what his resumé promised: faceoff wins and a shootout goal. Who (except Bylsma and Penspal, maybe) would have guessed that he would score not only the first goal but also what proved to be the only regular goal for his new team and that his shootout goal would be the game winner? The new guys for the Rangers made the difference last game and this time it was our new arrival. How sweet it is!
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby headh on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 am

I was just reading the Carolina Hurricane message board and reviewing his stats. I am starting to think that we completely stole this guy due to the Canes signing him to a top line contract and then changing their system/roster in such a way that the deal no longer made sense to them. He was basically relegated to bottom six duty and being paid $3 mil per season. He also had a year left so teams weren't inclined to pick him up off of waivers.

Bottom line is the Canes fans recall him as a key participant to their run to the ECF.

I see some speculation on this board that he'll be relegated to a fourth line Center when Sid returns. I am willing to speculate that he either Centers a line with legitimate scoring potential or plays LW to either Sid or Geno. No way HCDB relegates him to scrap minutes. He has too much skill for that. My prediction is that the Pens go for three legitimate scoring lines that all have a physical presence and defensive responsibility. How's that for an upgrade.....

36, 87, 12 or ///16, 87, 12
10, 71, 18 ////// 10, 71, 18
14, 16, 9 ////// 14, 36, 9
24, 46, 48 /// 24, 46, 48
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 am

headh wrote:I was just reading the Carolina Hurricane message board and reviewing his stats. I am starting to think that we completely stole this guy due to the Canes signing him to a top line contract and then changing their system/roster in such a way that the deal no longer made sense to them. He was basically relegated to bottom six duty and being paid $3 mil per season. He also had a year left so teams weren't inclined to pick him up off of waivers.

Bottom line is the Canes fans recall him as a key participant to their run to the ECF.

I see some speculation on this board that he'll be relegated to a fourth line Center when Sid returns. I am willing to speculate that he either Centers a line with legitimate scoring potential or plays LW to either Sid or Geno. No way HCDB relegates him to scrap minutes. He has too much skill for that. My prediction is that the Pens go for three legitimate scoring lines that all have a physical presence and defensive responsibility. How's that for an upgrade.....

No way he gets relegated to scrap minutes. So instead you move both Kunitz and Dupuis' 40 goal paces down to the third line. Makes perfect sense.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:57 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
headh wrote:I was just reading the Carolina Hurricane message board and reviewing his stats. I am starting to think that we completely stole this guy due to the Canes signing him to a top line contract and then changing their system/roster in such a way that the deal no longer made sense to them. He was basically relegated to bottom six duty and being paid $3 mil per season. He also had a year left so teams weren't inclined to pick him up off of waivers.

No way he gets relegated to scrap minutes. So instead you move both Kunitz and Dupuis' 40 goal paces down to the third line. Makes perfect sense.

Given his prowess on faceoffs, is it possible that Jokinen is suited for play on Malkin's wing? Something to the effect of

14 - 87 - 12
36 - 71 - 18
24 - 16 - 9
10 - 26/46 - 48

Malkin is pretty clearly the weak link at the faceoff dot with a 46.1% win rate - Vitale clocks in at 61.8%, Jokinen at 60.7%, Crosby at 54.3%, Sutter at 51.0%, and Adams at 50.9%. I'm not sure that Jokinen would fit on Malkin's wing, but it seems like it'd be worth a shot with a healthy lineup.

In the event that Neal's season is over, just do a quick little shuffle to

14 - 87 - 9
36 - 71 - 12
10 - 16 - 24
15 - 26/46 - 48
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins