The officiating. Version 2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The officiating. Version 2013

Postby Scott on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:21 pm

Here we go. The ugliness is back. Let me cite the sorry examples and then I want some answers. For about the last 5 weeks the Refs
have really started to swallow the whistle. In turn naturally the players realize when doing something and not getting called for it, they will do it again. Then when they don't get called for it a couple more players join the fun of holding, obstructing. Now you have a game where both teams
are committing an uncalled penalty every two mins. See the game last night if you need an example. Both Pens and Sabres should have been called a lot more. Call the game as it should be and those infractions vanish. We have Game center live so we see every other game around the league. This isn't just a problem with the Pens. It is league wide.

The question I want answered is why? Why take a game that has been going pretty smooth and turn back the clock to the dark days?

This is a legit question. I don't understand from any angle why the league would be looking for a more dragging, less scoring NHL viewing experience.

I' m not suggesting we need a 6-5 hockey score every game but smoothness and flow equates to the most appealing product. Is this another example of leveling the playing ice?

One fact is this. North Americans like offense. They want lots of scoring and athleticism. Look to the number one league far and away, the NFL. They recognized that many years ago and have modified some of the rules to promote scoring. Not hinder it. The main reason why soccer fails in North America is because its so ridiculously hard to even get a good shot let alone a goal.

None the less can someone please give one good legit reason why the NHL would be heading back into gloom and doom. They aren't all the way back to the dark days but they have made a u-turn and driving in that direction.

P.S.
The only legit thought I could come up with...don't laugh too hard...but the refs at present are given an allocation of the number of penalties they can call during the game. Boarding has been sent out as a memo to be called even if it is close to boarding...call it. In turn the boarding calls count toward the allocation of penalties allowed to be called. I know this sounds crazy but that is just how crazy the games are being officiated right now.

I welcome the thoughts.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: The officiating. Version 2013

Postby slipshod on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:27 pm

Refs are old school let the boys play types.

They don't have a limit on penalties but they do have very weak arms that get tired easily.

I don't mind the "let em play" stuff until they call the inevitable random penalty that they let go three minutes earlier. That pisses me off to no end. I just want consistency.
slipshod
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:38 pm

If you mean the "allocation" as a loosely based number in a crew's head of how many is "too many", then you may have a point. If you think they are conciously trying to limit them to a specific, predefined number, then I strongly disagree.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 pm

Incompetant buffoons, protected by a union.
BurghThing
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby scals37 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:16 pm

the consistency of boarding calls has been absolute :face: all year
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Scott on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:00 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:If you mean the "allocation" as a loosely based number in a crew's head of how many is "too many", then you may have a point. If you think they are conciously trying to limit them to a specific, predefined number, then I strongly disagree.

Yes. I mean this exactly.

Nobody has yet to answer the question though. WHY? Why would a league want to turn the clock back to dark days. Sure the refs always miss a call or two during the game, but the game has evolved into a very polished enjoyable viewing product. Attribute this to the flow and smoothness of the game. Aside from the goalie equipment being too big, the game had become closer to perfection as it ever has been.

So again, why would the league want to make a turn for the worse. AGAIN. I can't for the life of me figure out what possible benefit could come from it.

The only one being it does level the ice a bit if a team that can't skate and score can hold the team that can skate and score, it keeps things close. Other than that...WHAT would be the reason.

The answer is NOT because the refs are stuck in their ways and are old. That is bogus because the same refs have been calling the game very tight for several years now that most infractions don't exist because they have been calling the games so sharply.

One last thing. We should be thankful it isn't the early 90's any longer. If anyone has access to an archive to view some of the Pens games from back then, WHOA....you want to talk about some holding....and other fouls being committed. Talk about the one lone Ref being selective in his call back then too. WOW WOW WOW WOW.

Back when I watched that live...you didn't think anything was out of whack because that was hockey. Forward twenty years and watch a Pens vs. North Stars game for the Cup. Amazing the players were still dressed and not naked at the end of the game from all the holding that went on in those games. Just incredible.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IMFC on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov!

Early in the season, the casual fan needs wide open 'girly' hockey to come to the rink. As you get closer to the playoffs, people will be interested simply because of the urgency there, so the old boy network can ram 'man's man' hockey where you've got to 'fight your way through every obstacle' down our throats.

They want to sell seats without ruining 'their' sport.
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:10 pm

I always thought if the NHL really wanted the casual sports fan, having 5-6 powerplays a period would be a really good way to do it.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins