How Much Did The Penguins Improve Overall With The Trades?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

How Much Did The Penguins Improve Overall With The Trades?

10%
8%
20%
25%
30%
15%
40%
26%
50%
8%
>50%
19%

Total votes : 53

Re: How Much Did The Penguins Improve Overall With The Trade

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:08 pm

beachinit wrote:
Desiato wrote:I actually thought Bennett was better then Morrow on that line and it was only going to get better. Morrow has had a hard time staying on his skates. He kept falling every other time he was out there.

What insanity is this? You can't play a rookie in the playoffs, Bylsma told me so himself... :wink:
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BleuLineLady on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:27 pm

Looking back and its definitely too early to say, but my initial "after the fact" look at things is that Iginla was a great trade. He is somebody who will definitely help and improve this team. I have full faith in that. The Murray trade was necessary, especially with a depleted group of defensemen-and he adds some size among other things that the Pens didnt have before that will come in hand in the playoffs. Depending on how things turn out, I would like to see the Pens try to resign both of them in the off season-priority going to Iginla of course.

The Morrow trade seems to be the one where the Pens paid the most and they may have gotten the least in return. Now granted, I really like Morrow and I think he will make his contributions and look much better than he has so far, but I think if Shero made one trade too many-it was this one. The good thing is though that Bylsma will have leverage and justification with more than enough players in the mix competing for spots to drop Morrow down or off the roster if he isn't playing well. I would give him every opportunity to succeed, but if the chemistry is not there over time and he isnt performing in a top 6/top 9 capacity, Morrow can always be a 4th liner, if other players are playing better than him.

The Jokinen trade was no risk, but potentially decent upside-he is/was a very good player and has similar numbers to Morrow-whatever that suggests. He's not gritty, but he has good skills and can get streaky. I wouldnt be surprised to see him get streaky in the playoffs depending on who they play him with. If it doesnt work out, Bylsma can scratch him and they will buy him out next year but a decent gamble to make by Shero with Jokinen.

Bennett looked like he was missed the last couple games. I know, he's just a rookie winger, how much impact could he have, but he has energy, hunger and very good hockey skills for somebody that young. I want to see him back in the lineup asap. And lastly, Malkin needs to wake up. I wonder if he's still hurt-he just hasnt looked like himself lately. The Pens desperately need him to step it up right now.
BleuLineLady
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BigMcK on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Not sure if anyone heard HCDB on Jim Rome yesterday, but he was his normal monotone self during the interview. When the question of trading for Iginla was raised, he stopped himself in describing him as 'one of the best players' to something along the lines of him being a 'great leader'. He repeated himself a couple times that Iginla needs to step up and be a leader. He said Iginla is so far kind of a quite person trying to not step on any toes or traditions and on the first plane ride didn't no where he should sit just in case the seat belonged to someone else. He mentioned again that Iginla needs to step up and be a leader.

What I got from listening to the interview, HCDB is looking for a vocal leader in the room and has Iginla slotted as that guy.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby danisu21 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:44 pm

:pop:
danisu21
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
beachinit wrote:
Desiato wrote:I actually thought Bennett was better then Morrow on that line and it was only going to get better. Morrow has had a hard time staying on his skates. He kept falling every other time he was out there.

What insanity is this? You can't play a rookie in the playoffs, Bylsma told me so himself... :wink:

Uhh... that's not my quote.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins