How Much Did The Penguins Improve Overall With The Trades?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

How Much Did The Penguins Improve Overall With The Trades?

10%
8%
20%
25%
30%
15%
40%
26%
50%
8%
>50%
19%

Total votes : 53

Re: How Much Did The Penguins Improve Overall With The Trade

Postby GeoTank on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:45 pm

The major things we all cried for in the off season was ....

Top 6 forward ...... Done!
Crease clearing defensemen ....... Done!
Big gritty forward ........ Done!

For extra credit .......
Leadership..... Done!
Better face off %....... Done!
Any reason to not dress TK........ Done please?!?!
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:49 pm

Well mathematically, Iginla is top 10% of players ever, Morrow is in the 70th percentile in terms of height, Douglas Murray scored an 80% on his last physics test, and Jokinen recently got a 4% mortgage loan.

So averaging all of those out, you get ~eleventy
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CERV96 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:06 pm

They did so well I would give up a fractured jaw, a few teeth, a broken toe, and a broken wrist just to do it again!
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jwest21 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:08 pm

pcmforless wrote:
marek wrote:I dont understand those metrics LOL

Where are we getting these units of measurement from?

Spoiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn_TAkPWJcU

....Mary!
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:17 pm

In addition to the short-term impact of the trades, guys like Bennett, Depres and Sutter will be earning PhDs in Leadership from professors like Iginla and Morrow. That's immeasurable.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:20 pm

175-250 microns
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby silentom on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:30 pm

A brobdingnagian amount of captians.
silentom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Texas with a dollar sign in front of it
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby silentom on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:53 pm

^Win.
silentom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 pm

-100%
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:25 pm

If you have espn insider, I suggest this article: http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/ ... difference

Kind of interesting.

A little piece from the article:

Despite the recent injury to uber-star Sidney Crosby, the message is clear from the Penguins' organization: Stanley Cup or bust. But even with the added talent AND a healthy Crosby, we should expect the Penguins to do worse, not better, over these next few weeks.

The Penguins won their 15th straight game by beating the New York Islanders 2-0 on Saturday, putting them within two games of the NHL record streak of 17 victories set by the 1992-93 Penguins. But based on how teams have performed after making big trade deadline moves, that streak is certainly in peril.

I looked at every team over the past seven years that led its division at the trade deadline and its points per game before and after a trade (if it made any) within one week of the deadline.

Division leaders -- like the Penguins -- who made a trade in that time period took more of a hit in their future performance (11 percent fewer standings points per game) than those that stood pat (7 percent less).
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:33 pm

They addressed their personnel problems... all of them... and did so without moving a single roster player.

I don't quite understand how a team can improve '+-50%', since that would require some sort of quantitative measurement to improve upon, but if their issues were 1.) physical defense and 2.) scoring depth... The solved both as well as they possibly could have.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby pcm on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Have the Pens improved their chances of winning the Stanley Cup? Maybe/Probably
Have the Pens improved their chances of being majorily upset? Absolutely
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby saints11 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:57 am

I think we improved a great deal, but, at the same time we can't forget what got us to this point, which is hard work and some needed infusion. The new additions must learn the system, and play it especially in our own end. Orpik needs to get his head out of his arse. He looks totally lost out there without #7. Unfortunately, Dan has to stop being Dan and play our best people. Why you play Kennedy at all, let alone at center is beyond me. I know Beau is young, but he gave the line-up a jump and some enthusiasm, which they have been devoid of since he was sent back. Without Sid split up Kunitz and Dupuis, put Bennett back on Geno's left wing with Neal back on the right side, put Kunitz with Iggy, put Sutter with Morrow or Cooke and Dupuis, then have either Cooke or Morrow with Jeffrey/Vitale and Adams. Those are our best options, then they have to out work our opponents. Sid sets the out working standard, somebody has to pick up the slack.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:45 am

So ... biggest reason for the last to losses?

1. No more blue jerseys.
2. Chemistry is gone due to trades.
3. Injuries to some random dudes.
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby neophool on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 am

they seem to have improved at losing hockey games.

/teehee
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:12 am

GeoTank wrote:The major things we all cried for in the off season was ....

Top 6 forward ...... Done!
Crease clearing defensemen ....... Done!
Big gritty forward ........ Done!

For extra credit .......
Leadership..... Done!
Better face off %....... Done!
Any reason to not dress TK........ Done please?!?!

:thumb:

If we dont win a cup,it largely because of Blysma and his weird lineup decisions...
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck Drama on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:20 am

They are now older and slower. They took a team that was tearing up the league and playing team hockey and turned it into a jumble of egos. Now we can see if Bylsma is a Jack Adams worthy coach. He must make the team redefine itself in 10 games.
Montreal had the right idea, what they were doing on the ice exceeded the individual talent level. So they did nothing to disrupt it.
We will see in May, if Shero is a genius, or I'd he killed the momentum of a young, fast and hungry team by adding a bunch of players who betters days were far behind them. In my opinion, Shero mad three move too many. Murray fits, the rest don't.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:02 am

Puck Drama wrote:They are now older and slower. They took a team that was tearing up the league and playing team hockey and turned it into a jumble of egos. Now we can see if Bylsma is a Jack Adams worthy coach. He must make the team redefine itself in 10 games.
Montreal had the right idea, what they were doing on the ice exceeded the individual talent level. So they did nothing to disrupt it.
We will see in May, if Shero is a genius, or I'd he killed the momentum of a young, fast and hungry team by adding a bunch of players who betters days were far behind them. In my opinion, Shero mad three move too many. Murray fits, the rest don't.

So moving Bennett and Kennedy out of the top 9 (which is basically what these trades did), made the team slower and killed team chemistry. :face: Please go back to bashing Neal, we could use some scoring from him.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:28 am

I don't think Shero planned on getting Iginla. Based on his offer, he obviously wasn't going for the jugular; unless there was actually tampering.

To me, Iginla is the gamble, because he's a big-ego player. That's not a knock against him. It's one of his traits. He's a natural-born alpha. But because of that, it's not as easy for him to fit in and fill a role. That's why I'd like to see him make the third line his own. He's still got "the guy" look in his eyes, but Geno and Neal need a guy to do the dirty work, defer and play a role.

I loved Morrow with Geno and Neal, I love what Murray brings to the team, and really like the roles Jokinen can fill. I am concerned the Pens didn't get a reliable backup for Orpik. As I've said already, I'm not down on his play like some others are, but I'm concerned about how much gas he has in the tank to play his game deep into the playoffs. If he's injured, the Pens could be sunk.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:58 am

kind of a odd way to look at improvement. But it does seem we improved in our weakest areas. Was are tougher now that is for sure, more leadership and there also is a element of skill the forwards brought.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck Drama on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:38 am

Morrow is far too slow to play on the second line.
I will stand on the premise.
Pens are now a slower team. They were clicking / reacting at a high speed. Now they are back to week 2 when they were then and now are waiting on each other.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby beachinit on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:49 am

Desiato wrote:I don't think Shero planned on getting Iginla. Based on his offer, he obviously wasn't going for the jugular; unless there was actually tampering.

To me, Iginla is the gamble, because he's a big-ego player. That's not a knock against him. It's one of his traits. He's a natural-born alpha. But because of that, it's not as easy for him to fit in and fill a role. That's why I'd like to see him make the third line his own. He's still got "the guy" look in his eyes, but Geno and Neal need a guy to do the dirty work, defer and play a role.

I loved Morrow with Geno and Neal, I love what Murray brings to the team, and really like the roles Jokinen can fill. I am concerned the Pens didn't get a reliable backup for Orpik. As I've said already, I'm not down on his play like some others are, but I'm concerned about how much gas he has in the tank to play his game deep into the playoffs. If he's injured, the Pens could be sunk.

I actually thought Bennett was better then Morrow on that line and it was only going to get better. Morrow has had a hard time staying on his skates. He kept falling every other time he was out there.
beachinit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby beachinit on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:50 am

Desiato wrote:I don't think Shero planned on getting Iginla. Based on his offer, he obviously wasn't going for the jugular; unless there was actually tampering.

I actually thought Bennett was better then Morrow on that line and it was only going to get better. Morrow has had a hard time staying on his skates. He kept falling every other time he was out there.
beachinit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:55 am

It's impossible to tell how much the trades helped because three core players who eat up nearly 30 minutes of ice time per game are out of the lineup, including the world's best player. All three players skate incredibly well and play special teams. To top that off, a bunch of new players are tyring to fit in to the mix.

Thankfully these injuries happened now. Martin will be back for the playoffs, regardless of what predictions say. Letang will be back in less than a week and Crosby soon after that. Remember, the silver lining is that all three of these key players will be well rested, and so will Fleury.

Having said that, it's really getting old how Neal and Orpik, and sometimes Geno, get that sour look all the time and seem to be perpetual whiners when the team even gets down by one goal. Bylsma needs to sit these players, yes even Geno, when they don't skate hard. And players like Engelland who keep making the same mistakes shouldn't get a jersey at all. This is no time to panic at all, but losing by a combined score of 10-2 to two teams who struggle to score AND had their best scorer missing, is unacceptable. It certainly takes some of the lustre off the streak.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins