Can Dupuis play LW?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Can Dupuis play LW?

Postby Great58 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:33 am

Because it's pretty clear to me that James Neal can not, anymore. Neal looked to be patrolling the same areas of the ice last night as Iginla, effectively giving Malkin two right wingers.

Up until now I had agreed withht he basic tenant of "don't break up the best line in hockey", but at this moment going into indefinite time frame, that's already happened.

So, if Duper can play LW, why not reassemble the Kunitz-Malkin-Neal line NOW to help Malkin and Neal refind their form from last year. Iggy and Duper with Jokinen until Sid's return. If it doesn't work, no harm done, Kunitz and Dupuis aren't going to lose their chemistry with Sid any more or less as a result.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Can Dupuis play LW?

Postby Bioshock on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:00 am

Duper can play LW fine. That was my actually my first idea when they got Iginla. Put him on RW and place Duper on the LW while sending Kunitz back down to the 2nd line or whatever you wanna call it.

Saw the same thing yesterday. Neal isn't a LW anymore. He gravitates over to the right side. Not quite as badly as Iginla but he isn't the scoring threat on LW that he is on RW.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby opie22002 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:06 am

This notion of not breaking up a line is killing our balance. Make the switch now so there is time to adjust to them before playoffs.
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:10 am

Yeah, Neal has turned back into Nealkorovsky. The guys compete level looks pretty low and his shot doesn't have the confidence it did.
We need to get him going again.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:57 am

bh wrote:Yeah, Neal has turned back into Nealkorovsky. The guys compete level looks pretty low and his shot doesn't have the confidence it did.
We need to get him going again.

I love the Malkin-Neal-Iginla line, but for us to make a deep run into the playoffs, that line HAS to be scoring a goal a game or better. Neal and Malkin's weak play of late is a surefire ticket to a first round exit.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:00 am

As I said in the GDT, Malkin needs to assume some the responsibility for carrying this team.
Frankly, he's shown very little of that this year, despite his PPG.

We need to see some dominance out of him.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:14 am

Dupuis can play anywhere you ask him to. That includes ILB OT DE, C, SS, SS, 2B, C, SP, ST, DMF, CB
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Great58 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:47 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Dupuis can play anywhere you ask him to. That includes ILB OT DE, C, SS, SS, 2B, C, SP, ST, DMF, CB

Just as long as it's not 3rd line. :wink:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:08 am

If Neal cant adapt back to LW,then its in the best team interest,that Kunitz goes to 2nd line LW,Iggy goes to RW on 1st line,Dupuis switches from RW to LW.. When all healthy :
Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Cooke
Adams - Jokinen - Kennedy
x - Glass, Vitale, Jeffrey ??
3 scratches too much isnt it?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:12 am

I think now that we are past the trade deadline, the roster limits are off. You can scratch as many guys as you can fit under the salary cap.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 am

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:I think now that we are past the trade deadline, the roster limits are off. You can scratch as many guys as you can fit under the salary cap.

Yeah,I know.. But is it possible to send Vitale down to WBS?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:19 am

I made the comment a few weeks ago before Iginla arrived that it just seemed like Neal skates all over the ice. He never seems to be in his position, just plays like a mite chasing the puck all over the place.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dapp on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:23 am

Yes, thank you. I have been wondering this for days. Why ask Neal or Iginla to play their off wing, when Dupuis has played LW before and played it well. I am so tired of the whole "don't mess with the chemistry" crap. Kunitz played very well on the Geno and Neal line, but he was moved back to the Crosby line. They messed with successful chemistry by doing that. Let Neal and Iginla play on the more natural wing and split them up. If Dupuis can score 18 goals on Crosby's line, Iginla will go nuts playing with him. Besides they have played together before at the Olympics. When Crosby comes back:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Jokinen-Kennedy

Jokinen plays between Dupuis and Iginla until Sid comes back.
dapp

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:23 am

There are other options too like having Morrow with Malkin and Neal, that looked good, and Kuntiz with Crosby and Iginla:

Kuntiz-Crobsy(Jokinen)-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass(Jokinen)-Adams-Kennedy

Everyone back to playing their accustomed positions and Kunitz and Iginla can carry a line, Morrow will be fine on #2 LW and the 3rd line has speed and some skill too.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:30 am

I was definitely in favor and assumed that DB would put Dupuis at LW on "line 1" and put Kunitz at LW on "line 2/Malkin." DB seems to have other ideas, mainly that James Neil can adjust to change which he surely cannot. Malkin out...Neil is a useless player. Neil not at RW....useless player.

Pens/DB have had only two games to experiment with the lines but this sure isn't working yet and I don't foresee working in the future.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Desiato on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:39 am

The Pens didn't need an overhaul. Fixing what's not broken is idiotic. The new players should fill holes in the roster, not redefine it. I still say:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Iginla
Fourth line to be decided by the opponent.

I don't care how productive Ignla is. I care about what he adds to the team. Taking from another player so Ignila can produce doesn't make sense. This goes for making Kunitz the 3rd option/role player on Geno's line again--a role which Morrow is perfect for. Iginla on the 3rd line has the potential to add a lot without taking anything from anyone else.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:56 am

dapp wrote:Yes, thank you. I have been wondering this for days. Why ask Neal or Iginla to play their off wing, when Dupuis has played LW before and played it well. I am so tired of the whole "don't mess with the chemistry" crap. Kunitz played very well on the Geno and Neal line, but he was moved back to the Crosby line. They messed with successful chemistry by doing that.

Kunitz with Neal and Malkin was never as good as Kunitz with Crosby and Dupuis.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:12 am

mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby saints11 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 am

Since we got Jarome; my own thoughts have varied as how the lines should shake out. Sid's injury has caused a greater flux. There is now the need to get Malkin going and by placing Neal on the LW; it seems to be causing more problems than it is finding solutions. In my eyes, there a still two possible solutions, however, I expect to see neither. The first solution involves bringing back Beau Bennett and using him with Geno and Neal; other than the brief flashes from Tuesday, it was when Bennett was on his other wing that Geno looked best. Iginla would then play with Kunitz and Duper could work on the third line with Cooke or Morrow. The other and more logical for HCDB, would be to place Kunitz there to see if he could jump start the line like last year. This would involve moving Duper to the LW to play with Iginla.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:43 am

Iginla as 3rd liner is dumb. He is too good to be on bottom six. He has the skills,hustle and vision to be on 1st or 2nd line. Morrow, Neal or Dupuis should adapt.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Juice on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:51 am

Desiato wrote:I don't care how productive Ignla is.

:face:
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slipshod on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:56 am

DelPen wrote:There are other options too like having Morrow with Malkin and Neal, that looked good, and Kuntiz with Crosby and Iginla:

Kuntiz-Crobsy(Jokinen)-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass(Jokinen)-Adams-Kennedy

Everyone back to playing their accustomed positions and Kunitz and Iginla can carry a line, Morrow will be fine on #2 LW and the 3rd line has speed and some skill too.

This makes the most sense by far to me. I'm in!

A Coach's job is to put people in the best position to succeed and I don't see how moving Neal to save Dupuis is a good move. I love Dupuis and part of why I do is that he is so versatile and plays his ass off no matter what you ask him to do. Putting him on the 3rd line adds to that line and more importantly doesn't subtract from the 2nd line.

So adding or at the very least not subtracting from the first line with Iginla at RW.

Letting Neal play in his most effective position and adding Morrow in front of the net for the 2nd line.

Adding Dupuis defense and speed and hustle and hitting and offense to the 3rd line. Cooke Sutter Dupuis is an excellent defensive line you can put out against any top line in the NHL.

Here's hoping that these losses allow HCDB to see the light and give him an excuse to put his players where they should be.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby saints11 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:58 am

I still don't buy the idea that Bennett should not be considered for duty with Malkin and Neal. His switch to LW went fine. He wasn't perfect, but he added to the line with a higher level of physicality than most of us thought; used his speed well on the forecheck, and showed good passing ability; parts that are needed on that line. He provides more than some of the other options we are using. Though he may not be as good; Bennett reminds me of Seguin when he came up with the Bruins. He played sparingly during the regular season; nothing was expected of him; however when injuries force Boston to play him, he had a monster playoff run on the way to their Cup. (Again, I'm not saying Bennett is as good as Seguin; just that the situation is similar.)
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Dupuis can play anywhere, and he is willing to do that. I like Neal, but he seems to be a bit of a head case. You kind of have to cater to Neal and Malkin, make the conditions just right so they can perform well. Therefore, Kunitz should go back to that line. Iggy should skate with Duper and Sid.

With all due respect, if Bylsma can't make these line combinations work with this much talent, then my God, how much more incompetent can a coach be? I'm pretty sure Gene Ubriaco could win with this lineup. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure Gene Wilder could win with this lineup.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:14 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:Dupuis can play anywhere, and he is willing to do that. I like Neal, but he seems to be a bit of a head case. You kind of have to cater to Neal and Malkin, make the conditions just right so they can perform well. Therefore, Kunitz should go back to that line. Iggy should skate with Duper and Sid.

i agree with this. even though he's mental, neal is an important player. enough so that his abilities should be catered to. make him as comfy as possible.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins