Can Dupuis play LW?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Can Dupuis play LW?

Postby tfrizz on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:14 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:Dupuis can play anywhere, and he is willing to do that. I like Neal, but he seems to be a bit of a head case. You kind of have to cater to Neal and Malkin, make the conditions just right so they can perform well. Therefore, Kunitz should go back to that line. Iggy should skate with Duper and Sid.

With all due respect, if Bylsma can't make these line combinations work with this much talent, then my God, how much more incompetent can a coach be? I'm pretty sure Gene Ubriaco could win with this lineup. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure Gene Wilder could win with this lineup.

There's no guarantee Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla will work, just like there's no guarantee Kunitz-Malkin-Neal will work this season. If things don't click, they don't click - nothing HCDB can do about that.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Desiato on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Juice wrote:
Desiato wrote:I don't care how productive Ignla is.

:face:

What's wrong with that? The idea is to provide net value to the team, not ensure players produce, individually, to their maximum ability.

Regardless of my opinion of the line he'd improve the most, it's hard to argue that he should be placed in a position to best help the team. It's possible he could add more offense to the team on the 3rd line than the first two, considering the first two have been so proficient already and 5 of the 6 have shown stellar chemistry together. [K/C/D and M/N]

edit:
To put Dupuis' production into context, his 16 even strength goals projected over 82 games is 38; the number Malkin finished with last year, which--like Dupuis this year--was second only to Stamkos. Duper's production hasn't just been good, it's been stellar.

Even amongst his old team, Iginla did not stand out offensively. To assume he's going to produce more than Duper is flawed. I think Pens fans have stars in their eyes.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis don't only score goals together; they dominate 5vs5. To suggest disrupting what they have going is a bit silly.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Juice on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:15 pm

Don't get me wrong. I really like Dupuis and what he is doing this year is definitely nothing short of stellar. However, if Crosby can get that kind of production out of him, just think about what he could get out of Iginla. Before the thought is but but that's a what if, I get that. One option is a known commodity this year, the other is a known commodity as a 50+ guy twice and one of the games most consistent goal scorers for the last decade+

Of course I can't sit here and say Iginla career ppg = x Dupuis once in a lifetime ppg = y and say Iginla is going to produce at a substantially greater clip than Dupuis, but dude. Dude. "The pens really are going for it this year, they went out and got Jarome Iginla to bolster their third line." Said nobody. Ever.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Desiato on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:26 pm

Juice wrote:Don't get me wrong. I really like Dupuis and what he is doing this year is definitely nothing short of stellar. However, if Crosby can get that kind of production out of him, just think about what he could get out of Iginla.

Chemistry doesn't work that way. That's why Jagr played with Hrdina and Kip Miller. Lines are not the sum of their parts. Iginla may still be a better player than Dupuis today, but that doesn't mean he's going to produce more than Dupuis playing with Crosby; especially with so little time to prepare.

Dupuis' ES production has been at an elite level this season. With the way I've seen Iginla play the past two seasons, I wouldn't expect him to be a 40 goal ES player with anyone. He's just not the same guy he used to be.

It's true that Dupuis probably wouldn't have this season with another center; which is even more reason to keep them together while they're playing this well.

Before the thought is but but that's a what if, I get that. One option is a known commodity this year, the other is a known commodity as a 50+ guy twice and one of the games most consistent goal scorers for the last decade+

Here's where our opinions differ greatly. I don't think Iginla is the guy he used to be. On the Flames, Tanguay, Cammalleri, Stepniak, Hudler and Glencross were all producing at about the same level as Iginla. Dennis Wideman wasn't far off. No, he wasn't playing with Crosby or Malkin, yet I would still expect the Iginla of old to have greater separation than at least a couple of those guys. But that would be unreasonable because he's going to be 36 in July. That he has slowed is normal and expected.

The Pens were already, arguably, the best team in the league. It doesn't make sense to disrupt the parts that were working. Iginla should play where he has the most net benefit, regardless of what he did in his prime.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:53 pm

the key here is Dupuis and his speed. It allows him to play that position because if he is out of position and can make up for it a lot faster than every other Penguin other than Crosby
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:55 pm

Desiato wrote:
Juice wrote:Don't get me wrong. I really like Dupuis and what he is doing this year is definitely nothing short of stellar. However, if Crosby can get that kind of production out of him, just think about what he could get out of Iginla.

Chemistry doesn't work that way. That's why Jagr played with Hrdina and Kip Miller. Lines are not the sum of their parts. Iginla may still be a better player than Dupuis today, but that doesn't mean he's going to produce more than Dupuis playing with Crosby; especially with so little time to prepare.

Dupuis' ES production has been at an elite level this season. With the way I've seen Iginla play the past two seasons, I wouldn't expect him to be a 40 goal ES player with anyone. He's just not the same guy he used to be.

It's true that Dupuis probably wouldn't have this season with another center; which is even more reason to keep them together while they're playing this well.

Before the thought is but but that's a what if, I get that. One option is a known commodity this year, the other is a known commodity as a 50+ guy twice and one of the games most consistent goal scorers for the last decade+

Here's where our opinions differ greatly. I don't think Iginla is the guy he used to be. On the Flames, Tanguay, Cammalleri, Stepniak, Hudler and Glencross were all producing at about the same level as Iginla. Dennis Wideman wasn't far off. No, he wasn't playing with Crosby or Malkin, yet I would still expect the Iginla of old to have greater separation than at least a couple of those guys. But that would be unreasonable because he's going to be 36 in July. That he has slowed is normal and expected.

The Pens were already, arguably, the best team in the league. It doesn't make sense to disrupt the parts that were working. Iginla should play where he has the most net benefit, regardless of what he did in his prime.
Agree 100%. It's not like the 3rd line has been playing well either. Jerome there (when Sid is back) would give us 3 lines that we could depend on to score.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Juice on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:36 am

Desi, I understand exactly where you are coming from, I just don't agree with it, and would want to see how Iginla fits for a few games. I think it is possible Iginla could outperform Dupuis, you don't and brought 2013 supporting evidence, I didn't because there isn't any for my side yet and that's ok. What if Iginla and Dupuis are a wash on the top line, who makes for a better fit on the third line? If the idea is that Iginla makes the third line more of a threat to score, then is the third line really doing what a third line should do? Who is to say Iginla won't be an even better fit on the top line than Dupuis?

Imo, If 1st line: Dupuis = Iginla
And 3rd line Dupuis > Iginla
Doesn't the team get a better net benefit with 9 on the third line? Rhyme time.

Then again Iginla could be complete garbage with Sid. If that is the case I'll go back to posting cat pictures in NHR and ignore you when you neener-neener-neener me haha.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Geezer on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:06 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Dupuis can play anywhere you ask him to. That includes ILB OT DE, C, SS, SS, 2B, C, SP, ST, DMF, CB

Can he be used as a middle reliever as well as a starter?
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:21 am

Geezer wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Dupuis can play anywhere you ask him to. That includes ILB OT DE, C, SS, SS, 2B, C, SP, ST, DMF, CB

Can he be used as a middle reliever as well as a starter?

He prefers to Start, long relieve, or Close. He is able to eat up the 7th and 8th if needed though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins