Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:05 am

Pens Lose 6-1

- Rangers were the better team tonight, their new guys were juiced and it showed. Losing Gaborik alone was addition by subtraction... don't want to see NYR in 1st round
- When Tanner Glass is one of your best players, your not going to win many games (see WPG Jets for that story)
- Whether we like it or not, the team's recent play has given HCDB a reason to start the line juggling. Four goals scored in the last 3 games, ugh
- MAF was po'ed and whacked the saved puck into the crowd. Respect that he's trying to fire up the troops, but don't we like a calm MAF?
- Couple of goals were not his fault (one tipped by Cooke, a couple missed assignments), couple on PPlay
- Malkin in the penalty box - The Alice in Chains song - "Man in the Box" suggested by Tyrant Virus as Malkin's favorite song (in Pen's fav song thread)
- Kunitz penalty? Did they actually show a replay? Hopefully he got 2 mins worth.
- Anyone else feel the Pens were chirping the refs too much? Every penalty seemed to show the Pen disagreeing with the call.
- I thought for sure after the last game they'd come out with a better effort, will they Friday vs. the same Rangers :scared:
- Hopefully we can get some Jussi rebounds on Friday night - Looking forward to seeing yet another new Pen!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:13 am

Not having your #1 center and numbers 1 & 2 d-men really hurt a team... Hopefully Letang comes back soon. With the addition of Juicy I think it points to Crosby not returning to the ice any time soon, this team without those 3 huge players that are injured looks completely lost. DB needs to get them playing a more defensive brand of hockey when the defensive corps are this depleted.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:15 am

-thought it was just another flat game with 3 of our top players out and three new guys learning the system and everyone adjusting.
-Malkin with IGGY and Neal, looks good but its not going to works both are RWs, neither seems can handle LW although IGGY was better at it then neal
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby pcm on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:20 am

I sure hope the line juggling begins. Seems like Blysma tries too hard to fit players into roles out there.

Malkin had his best game of the season playing with Morrow and Neal. He doesn't need Iginla. It's a waste to stack that line. This just makes so much sense:

Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Sutter-Iginla
Cooke-Jussi/Jeffrey-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:21 am

pcm wrote:I sure hope the line juggling begins. Seems like Blysma tries too hard to fit players into roles out there.

Malkin had his best game of the season playing with Morrow and Neal. He doesn't need Iginla. It's a waste to stack that line. This just makes so much sense:

Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Sutter-Iginla
Glass-Vitale-Adams

I would actually switch Juicy and Sutter.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:22 am

The transition game absolutely sucks right now. Martin and Letang being out are killing us.

The forwards are running around with no clue all over the ice. And yes, it's because of all the new faces.

Things hopefully will settle down when we get Eaton and Jokinen in Friday night. Any word on Letang?

So if everyone does have a bit of flu then I can see why they look like crap.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:23 am

darkstar57 wrote:-thought it was just another flat game with 3 of our top players out and three new guys learning the system and everyone adjusting.
-Malkin with IGGY and Neal, looks good but its not going to works both are RWs, neither seems can handle LW although IGGY was better at it then neal

- Neal - Malkin -Iggy are getting good chances (just not going in), the double RW issue seems to keep being mentioned. Curious to see what HCDB does
- Kunitz has shown some "new" skill carrying the puck up ice with speed. I'd like to see him do it more... very shifty
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:29 am

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:29 am

Finally, I can exhale; bandwagon less than capacity this am.
I was waiting for Flower to pull a Patty Roy; screaming in french at Blysma for keeping him in the game.
;)

Do-over tomorrow at the Consol.

Spoiler:
Last edited by penny lane on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:31 am

As for the "Two RWs problem" I just don't see it. That line just works really well together. Neal has become the 3rd best guy on the line and that's all we're seeing. Not a big deal. They are generating quite a few chances and when those chances start going in instead of hitting posts or sliding across the crease that line is just going to dominate.

Edit: It almost reminds me of when Lebron first got to Miami. He deferred to D-wade a lot and it took time before he just said, "I'm taking the reigns." I think Malkin is having trouble with a guy like Iginla out there in saying, "I'm taking the reigns, come along for the ride." just because Iginla is so well respected and is a former captain.
Last edited by Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:32 am

eddysnake wrote:
Spoiler:

:thumb: :thumb: That movie needs referenced more on LGP
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:34 am

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait for Malkin to sign his new contract for the $10-$11M per year he's expected to get. :thumbdown:
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am

tfrizz wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait for Malkin to sign his new contract for the $10-$11M per year he's expected to get. :thumbdown:

Shero: "Look Gene. Half the time you look like a $12,000,000 player, but half the time you look like $5,400,000 player. Let's meet in the middle, okay? Say, 8-years, $8,700,000 per year"?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:40 am

Also, my thought from the morning after...

Spoiler:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoccerDad on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:45 am

I think it's a combination of new faces, and not having a few of our top guys (87, 58, 7). Luckily they built a decent cushion for the division crown. Hopefully they will start to gel and Sid and Letang can get back into the lineup. If they are still playing like this in late April, I'll start to worry.
SoccerDad
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:51 am

They peaked too early.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens2005 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:54 am

So do we add the NYR to the list of Philly, Jersey, Montreal, Boston, Islanders, Toronto, and Washigton to teams we don't want to meet first round?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TwoSheds on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:15 am

pens2005 wrote:So do we add the NYR to the list of Philly, Jersey, Montreal, Boston, Islanders, Toronto, and Washigton to teams we don't want to meet first round?

Lest we forget Tampa Bay!
TwoSheds
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:15 am

Wow, the "new faces" argument seems kind of off considering that we were just crushed by NYR's "new faces". Heck, some of those guys arrived 30 minutes before the pre-game skate!

We were 100% completely and totally outplayed. But, I also felt that the biggest issue was the absence of Martin and Letang as we had zero ability to carry it out of our zone. We spent the entire night either trying low percentage stretch passes or board dumps where the Rangers were stacking 2 guys to defend it.

Was it just me or did it feel like we never had the freaking puck? I know they talked about it at intermission but it was crazy.

P.S. - Morrow....yes, the issue is becoming a dead horse to kick, but Morrow seems to be the dead horse. Shero needs to man-up on the mistake and get him out of there. He does not have the speed for Bylsma hockey and time isn't going to make him faster.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:23 am

pcm wrote:I sure hope the line juggling begins. Seems like Blysma tries too hard to fit players into roles out there.

Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Sutter-Iginla
Glass-Vitale-Adams

I like these lines too (possibly switching Jokinen and Sutter as mentioned above). Morrow doesn't seem to have the wheels to be effective on a checking line, but he sure looked good just planting himself in front of the net and letting Malkin and Neal cycle and shoot. Putting Morrow back on that line may not improve Malkin and Neal (the line with them and Iginla has been good), but it would maximize what we get out of Morrow. I know it's kind of unfair to Dupuis to move him to the 3rd line given how well he's played, but he would give the 3rd line the speed it's missing with Morrow. Iginla (unsurprisingly) looks good enough to be a threat with any decent linemates.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:28 am

Dupuis will still score goals on the 3rd line.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jasmine on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:28 am

penny lane wrote:Finally, I can exhale; bandwagon less than capacity this am.
I was waiting for Flower to pull a Patty Roy; screaming in french at Blysma for keeping him in the game.
;)

Do-over tomorrow at the Consol.

Spoiler:

Great post and love the spoiler . . . Roy was something else!
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:29 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Wow, the "new faces" argument seems kind of off considering that we were just crushed by NYR's "new faces". Heck, some of those guys arrived 30 minutes before the pre-game skate!

We were 100% completely and totally outplayed. But, I also felt that the biggest issue was the absence of Martin and Letang as we had zero ability to carry it out of our zone. We spent the entire night either trying low percentage stretch passes or board dumps where the Rangers were stacking 2 guys to defend it.

Was it just me or did it feel like we never had the freaking puck? I know they talked about it at intermission but it was crazy.

P.S. - Morrow....yes, the issue is becoming a dead horse to kick, but Morrow seems to be the dead horse. Shero needs to man-up on the mistake and get him out of there. He does not have the speed for Bylsma hockey and time isn't going to make him faster.

It seems that Morrow can look good on a scoring line when occupying the net front. Morrow - Malkin - Neal was very effective and simple. I'd like to see that come back when Sid returns and put Iginla on the top line RW. I'm so sick of hearing "Chemistry" "Best line in hockey" "Dupuis deserves" hush up with that nonsense. I've said all along Sid makes his line, the line does not make Sid and Iginla>Dupuis when put with actual talent. Dupuis would just make the 3rd line more dangerous and effective as it would bump Kennedy down. Morrow in any other place just doesn't fit because he's not fast enough, I said that before he came here, and it's very obvious now.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:31 am

This game and the Buffalo game show why Crosby should win the Hart Memorial and Ted Lindsay Trophy.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:48 am

71Aj66ax87 wrote:This game and the Buffalo game show why Crosby should win the Hart Memorial and Ted Lindsay Trophy.

:thumb:

I've said it 1000 times the past day or so: the team was fine with Malkin + Letang + Martin out; swap Malkin and Crosby, and everything falls apart.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins