Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:53 am

71Aj66ax87 wrote:This game and the Buffalo game show why Crosby should win the Hart Memorial and Ted Lindsay Trophy.

Exactly what I was thinking.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:00 am

Idoit40fans wrote:They peaked too early.

Naaa I don't think so. Peaked at the right time, they can now loose a few now before they start climbing back up in time for the playoffs.

Hawks did the same thing after their big run this year, they are back on their game now.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:27 am

I need to get some water to rinse the vomit out of my mouth :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:27 am

Usually the best way to rinse your mouth after vomiting is to consume undiluted alcohol.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:53 am

I don't like the deals for Murray or Morrow so far. I get the idea that some people are saying we needed a people mover in Murray, but the guy is regularly getting passed by speedier wingers. As for Morrow, i like him as a leader, but he really looks like he has lost it in both hands and feet.

The biggest question will be if DB has the ba||s to sit both Morrow and Murray when we have a healthly team against a speedier team like the Habs. For what Shero gave up for those guys, i would think DB would have to think twice before showing up his GM.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sergei on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:54 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Usually the best way to rinse your mouth after vomiting is to consume undiluted alcohol.

Have you actually ever tried the 192 proof undiluted alcohol?
Didn't think so :D

Now on the real subject:

I for one am glad that this drop in quality of play is occurring now and not three weeks from now.
They have plenty of time to adjust...
sergei
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby praxitas on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:57 am

I think they played like a team without its top F and two best Dmen. Add to the fact that they have a bunch of new faces injected into the line up (also not all playing their natural positions) and well this is what you get. I would not be surprised to see this play out for another game or two until everyone starts meshing and understanding. Hopefully Letang will be back more soon than later, that will help tremendously. I'm sure Vitale will be the one that sits for Juicy, but I can't say I agree with it. I think we'll be fine in a few games to come, but I'm expecting some non pretty games until then.

Obviously its only one game in a Rangers uni, but I would have rather spent J. Morrow on Clowe than B. Morrow. Points scored last night aside, he seemed faster and hit everything that he could. He seems like he's going to be hard to play against on an nightly basis. Not saying B. Morrow has done horrible, but I think the J. Morrow asset could have been spent better. I was one of the biggest cheerleaders to land Clowe so I'm more or less belly aching after seeing him torch us. I'll stop whining now... :oops:
praxitas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby relantel on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:04 am

Never read too much into a team after a win, never read too much into it after a loss.

These two games tell me they miss Martin almost as much as they miss Crosby. The whole package that 87 is simply can't be made up easily. I think it should be little surprise that without him the team's possession of the puck has suffered.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby rgj on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:04 am

I'm tired of the "injury" excuse. It is just that....an EXCUSE.

These supposedly are professional hockey players. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for piss poor effort (of which the Pens seem to like quite often), lackadaisical defense (again, the Pens seem to do this often), and motionless offense (another Pens' trait).

I do NOT buy the "three new members" EXCUSE either. The Rangers had new players. In fact, two of them arrived slightly prior to game time.

It looks to me like they have been reading and listening to all the accolades by the sports talking heads, handing them the Cup. Obviously they have NOT learned from their past playoff failures that the hungrier team will always win.

The Pens are not hungry. They seem to have it in their minds that with the 15 game win streak over, they have shown the rest of the world how Cup worthy they are. Bunk. They are undisciplined. They are lazy. 'Dey dun care. 'Dey soff..........

Bylsma, time to kick some *** and tell these prima donnas to get their proverbial $**t together or hit the road.
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby guiner on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:05 am

[quote="Pavel Bure" Edit: It almost reminds me of when Lebron first got to Miami. He deferred to D-wade a lot and it took time before he just said, "I'm taking the reigns." I think Malkin is having trouble with a guy like Iginla out there in saying, "I'm taking the reigns, come along for the ride." just because Iginla is so well respected and is a former captain.[/quote]

Hmm, I think if anything Iginla has been trying to force the play to Malkin. Malkin always errs on the side of over playing the puck himself and trying to do too much on his own, I haven't seen him press the play to Iginla.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shakes on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:10 am

The Pens not as desperate as NY + injuries + new players/lines/pairings = this.

Plenty of time to get healthy and flip the switch back.
Spoiler:
I hope.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:17 am

Shakes wrote:The Pens not as desperate as NY + injuries + new players/lines/pairings = this.

Plenty of time to get healthy and flip the switch back.
Spoiler:
I hope.

Awww crap...

sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:20 am

I was talking to a buddy about this after the Buffalo game and it holds true... I wouldnt get mad or upset if they got beat, but they didn't even show up the last two games aside from a few individuals.

Dunno what happened against Buffalo, and maybe this debacle last night was just a letdown from the streak (that they supposedly didnt hardly talk about) ending and they can regroup now.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:28 am

-lacklustre performance but not end of the world considering injuries, new players, win streak come-down, back to back games.
-Bylsma needs to recognise when a goalie is struggling (vs Sabres)/team is hanging goalie out to dry (vs Rangers). Goalies can be mentaly fragile, leaving MAF in when he's angry enough to be jamming his stick into the boards is not smart (thanks for the Roy reference Penny!).
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:29 am

Only thing to take from this is that our top tier defense (that includes Eaton) was not there to assist the team. It's going to be rough until we get some of these guys back. We rely on a puck mover defense to keep other teams on their heels and they are all on the shelf right now.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:30 am

MAF needed to play a whole after his injury scare. He's man enough to deal with it.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby relantel on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:30 am

thepittman wrote:Only thing to take from this is that our top tier defense (that includes Eaton) was not there to assist the team. It's going to be rough until we get some of these guys back. We rely on a puck mover defense to keep other teams on their heels and they are all on the shelf right now.

Who would have thought Eaton would have had the impact he's had?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:31 am

relantel wrote:
thepittman wrote:Only thing to take from this is that our top tier defense (that includes Eaton) was not there to assist the team. It's going to be rough until we get some of these guys back. We rely on a puck mover defense to keep other teams on their heels and they are all on the shelf right now.

Who would have thought Eaton would have had the impact he's had?

Ray Shero.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:47 am

Pavel Bure wrote:As for the "Two RWs problem" I just don't see it. That line just works really well together. Neal has become the 3rd best guy on the line and that's all we're seeing. Not a big deal. They are generating quite a few chances and when those chances start going in instead of hitting posts or sliding across the crease that line is just going to dominate.

Edit: It almost reminds me of when Lebron first got to Miami. He deferred to D-wade a lot and it took time before he just said, "I'm taking the reigns." I think Malkin is having trouble with a guy like Iginla out there in saying, "I'm taking the reigns, come along for the ride." just because Iginla is so well respected and is a former captain.

I agree. I think they have been making a lot of very good things happen in both zones. Leave them be and let them get comfortable together.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:51 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:P.S. - Morrow....yes, the issue is becoming a dead horse to kick, but Morrow seems to be the dead horse. Shero needs to man-up on the mistake and get him out of there. He does not have the speed for Bylsma hockey and time isn't going to make him faster.

How the heck is Shero going to do that?? Everyone needs to face it -- Morrow is here for the ride. I don't think he'll be re-signed (Iggy will), but he's here for the season.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:53 am

sil wrote:MAF needed to play a whole after his injury scare. He's man enough to deal with it.

He needs a few good games, not being hung out to dry. IMO it would have been better for the goalies (and possibly the team) if Vokoun were pulled earlier and MAF had been given the rest of the night off after goal 4, but then that's from a biased goalie perspective...
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:11 pm

I simply don't see how Morrow is the problem with this team? Seems more like a scapegoat than a "horse" to me.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GDR on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:13 pm

I know they played back-to-back, but after losing in the fashion they did and given the need to get the lines' chemistry working, I fail to see how having an optional practice where Bylsma didn't even show up for half an hour was the right decision today.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the riddler on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:17 pm

sil wrote:I simply don't see how Morrow is the problem with this team? Seems more like a scapegoat than a "horse" to me.

It's hard to say anyone has played well the last couple games. I still think he can find a role with this team.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dbizzle66 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:21 pm

My thoughts ... this team does not have the defensive capability to win a cup .. the homers can call me a bridge jumper ... but the team lacks guts and fortitude, period.
dbizzle66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins