Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:24 pm

sil wrote:
Shakes wrote:The Pens not as desperate as NY + injuries + new players/lines/pairings = this.

Plenty of time to get healthy and flip the switch back.
Spoiler:
I hope.


Awww crap...

Image


:lol:

Motionless....
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,204
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby pulp22 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:26 pm

dbizzle66 wrote:My thoughts ... this team does not have the defensive capability to win a cup .. the homers can call me a bridge jumper ... but the team lacks guts and fortitude, period.


How can you make that assessment after one game when 3 of our top six defenders are out? Also how does this team lack guts?
pulp22
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:24 pm

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby dbizzle66 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:31 pm

pulp22 wrote:
dbizzle66 wrote:My thoughts ... this team does not have the defensive capability to win a cup .. the homers can call me a bridge jumper ... but the team lacks guts and fortitude, period.


How can you make that assessment after one game when 3 of our top six defenders are out? Also how does this team lack guts?


Because as soon as they get hit with adversity, they crumble quick
dbizzle66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 506
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby sil on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:39 pm

dbizzle66 wrote:
pulp22 wrote:
dbizzle66 wrote:My thoughts ... this team does not have the defensive capability to win a cup .. the homers can call me a bridge jumper ... but the team lacks guts and fortitude, period.


How can you make that assessment after one game when 3 of our top six defenders are out? Also how does this team lack guts?


Because as soon as they get hit with adversity, they crumble quick


He's right, at no point during the 15-game win streak did the pens get hit with adversity and have to battle back. :pop:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,840
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Great58 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:55 pm

Pitts wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:P.S. - Morrow....yes, the issue is becoming a dead horse to kick, but Morrow seems to be the dead horse. Shero needs to man-up on the mistake and get him out of there. He does not have the speed for Bylsma hockey and time isn't going to make him faster.

How the heck is Shero going to do that?? Everyone needs to face it -- Morrow is here for the ride. I don't think he'll be re-signed (Iggy will), but he's here for the season.

With noone being traded off the active roster, DB has the flexibility to use Morrow as he sees fit this spring. If he doesn't match up in certain series he can be scratched without ramifications. I don't see this happening, but we gained a lot of depth over the last two weeks which we can use to our advantage.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,581
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby NashvilleCat on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:03 pm

relantel wrote:
thepittman wrote:Only thing to take from this is that our top tier defense (that includes Eaton) was not there to assist the team. It's going to be rough until we get some of these guys back. We rely on a puck mover defense to keep other teams on their heels and they are all on the shelf right now.

Who would have thought Eaton would have had the impact he's had?

With Letang, Martin, and Eaton out of the lineup I think it's not unreasonable to say we were missing the three or at least most consistent defensemen. I'd rank Eaton over Nisky and Despres not for talent but for steadiness and for fewer mistakes. I'm not thinking upside here but current performance.

This team just needs to get back to playing responsible hockey - I'm hoping these injuries heal quickly and that the rumors of a flu bug hitting the team are true and we see improvement Friday.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,503
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: Sunny Brentwood, Tennessee

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Pens Fan Since 1970 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:04 pm

The Pirates have more wins in April than the Penguins. :scared:
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:00 am

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby TrueNorth on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:30 pm

When I first came to this forum, I was quite taken aback by the number of bridge jumpers and naysayers who surfaced any time the team stumbled or, as in recent days, fell flat on its face. I have come to realize that there are some people who feed off the negativity, and when others try to offer reassuring words and present some compelling reasons why the team has faltered, they will have none of it; they cling tenaciously to their negative viewpoint and simply will not be swayed. And that, of course, is their right. I also now realize, however, that once the team gets back on its feet--and it will--the clouds of doom will dissipate and many of these same individuals will once again be singing the team’s praises. Such is the ebb and flow of the GDT.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby since1970 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:09 pm

.....I understand how badly people want them to win, but if you've ever played any sport at a level beyond high school you know there are going to be times in a long season where you either can't get motivated, or you're trying like hell and it's not working, or your entire team is in a total funk, it happens, but talent and hard work ultimately brings you to where you should be, so I don't worry they fell flat after a 15 game win streak. I like the fact that they did. I think they needed a little reality check to get them focused on what they need to do.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 711
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby canaan on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:16 pm

TrueNorth wrote:When I first came to this forum, I was quite taken aback by the number of bridge jumpers and naysayers who surfaced any time the team stumbled or, as in recent days, fell flat on its face. I have come to realize that there are some people who feed off the negativity, and when others try to offer reassuring words and present some compelling reasons why the team has faltered, they will have none of it; they cling tenaciously to their negative viewpoint and simply will not be swayed. And that, of course, is their right. I also now realize, however, that once the team gets back on its feet--and it will--the clouds of doom will dissipate and many of these same individuals will once again be singing the team’s praises. Such is the ebb and flow of the GDT.

pretty much on-point.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,481
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:22 pm

Great58 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:P.S. - Morrow....yes, the issue is becoming a dead horse to kick, but Morrow seems to be the dead horse. Shero needs to man-up on the mistake and get him out of there. He does not have the speed for Bylsma hockey and time isn't going to make him faster.

How the heck is Shero going to do that?? Everyone needs to face it -- Morrow is here for the ride. I don't think he'll be re-signed (Iggy will), but he's here for the season.

With noone being traded off the active roster, DB has the flexibility to use Morrow as he sees fit this spring. If he doesn't match up in certain series he can be scratched without ramifications. I don't see this happening, but we gained a lot of depth over the last two weeks which we can use to our advantage.

Scratching him and telling Shero to "man-up on the mistake and get him out of there" are two completely different things. But, I reeeeealy don't think he will be scratched any time soon.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,369
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:24 pm

TrueNorth wrote:When I first came to this forum, I was quite taken aback by the number of bridge jumpers and naysayers who surfaced any time the team stumbled or, as in recent days, fell flat on its face. I have come to realize that there are some people who feed off the negativity, and when others try to offer reassuring words and present some compelling reasons why the team has faltered, they will have none of it; they cling tenaciously to their negative viewpoint and simply will not be swayed. And that, of course, is their right. I also now realize, however, that once the team gets back on its feet--and it will--the clouds of doom will dissipate and many of these same individuals will once again be singing the team’s praises. Such is the ebb and flow of the GDT.


if you've been here for a little while, you know who the chicken littles are and who the pollyannas are. foe both groups during the hockey season and your internet life will be better.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,281
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:27 pm

+1 to the new guy. I can understand being negative when they are playing badly, and if I hear somebody say they will "flip the switch" one more time after what happened last season I will force choke them through my computer. With that being said, they just won 15 games in a row, they don't have their Captain or their No. 1 D, and just acquired a bunch of new guys that need to learn how to gel and play together. Everyone needs to re-lax.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,181
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:37 pm

It absolutely is not the time for :scared: .

It's not time to revive the Fire DB thread, either. :lol:

We've got to expect losing 2 defensemen, the #1 forward on the planet, and adding 3 new players to the lineup is going to have a shake-out period.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled paranoia. :scared: :lol: :lol: :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Unbeliever on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:39 pm

I just keep coming back to the same conclusion as I had before Iginla first arrived. The only sensible thing is to have Morrow with Malkin and Neal, Dupuis on the third line and Iginla on the first.

1) Morrow is slow, his puck control is questionable but the upside is that he creates space by being in front of the net. The only line that does not get worse from his downsides, and gets better from his strength is the second line. The players on the third line do not need a net front presence to create space, they need quick players and the ability to back check well. The first line already has a net front presence in Kunitz.

2) Neal and Iginla can't be on the same line, they are not doing well playing on their off wings and even if they surely could play on their off wing, the time it will take for them to do as well as they are doing normally is not worth the time spent.

3) Dupuis can play anywhere, he played on the third line when we won the cup, he back checks, he is not on the PP and he is on the PK and he is fast. All of those factors are things you want in a third line winger. You want the third line to cycle and be defensively minded. Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis would be an amazing third line in terms of their dedication and how well they can dig in along the boards.

4) The "Best line in hockey" is already broken up due to Crosby's injury which was the only sensible argument to not break them up. Play Iginla and Kunitz with any placeholder center until Sid is back.
Unbeliever
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:55 pm

The only thing that concerns me, and it has been a major concern since Bylsma took over, is that the Penguins give up goals in rapid succession. If a team can get in on the forecheck and bang in a goal, they can put three more in within the next five minutes.

This cost them the Philly series, and we even saw glimpses of it during the winning streak (the Montreeal game). Certainly saw it the past two games. When this team is going bad, they allow a TON of goals FAST. Physically they may be tough, but mentally there is still work to be done.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,813
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Unbeliever wrote:3) Dupuis can play anywhere, he played on the third line when we won the cup, he back checks, he is not on the PP and he is on the PK and he is fast. All of those factors are things you want in a third line winger. You want the third line to cycle and be defensively minded. Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis would be an amazing third line in terms of their dedication and how well they can dig in along the boards.

he rotated between 4th line and healthy scratch that year, but your point remains. he's versatile. i like you're proposed 3rd line, but i don't think it's quite "amazing". sutter has had some big goals, but he's not much of an offensive center. i thought maybe it was his linemates for the first 15 games or so, but he's floated around the lineup since then and has never developed any offensive chemistry with anyone he's been put with. he's a checking center more than anything.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,281
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby marek on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Watching the game again... replay on NHL network... And if Kunitz or Iginla score instead of hitting the post in the first few minutes and I think the game has a totally different outcome... I know this team will be fine... like most everyone else on LGp I too get caught up in the drama when things aren't going well. We've become used to expecting as close to perfection as possible and that's not going to happen every night. It's a game of bounces. Let's go Pens!
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,747
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:44 am
Location: The Farms, La Jolla California

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:15 pm

It's so funny how quickly the worm turns. It's two losses after a fifteen game winning streak. What I find most amusing is how during the streak every article I'd read or any hockey analyst I'd watch on T.V. speak about how the Penguins have finally established their defense and become a defense-minded team. Now? After two losses I read the same people writing on how the Penguins could be in trouble if they don't fix what's already an "iffy" defense.

My buddy who's a Ranger fan of course gloated to no end. I did say to him earlier in the week that I'm really ready to just shut my eyes until the playoffs. The only thing I'm watching the games for is to see how are new acquisitions are panning out.

It's very simple what happened here. The Penguins rode a very long winning streak while losing key players along the way and it's catching up. I'm not saying I'd ever be happy for any team I follow to mail it in, but as long as we have no further injuries, what does anyone really care at this point? The Penguins are not only without Sid, but our TWO BEST DMEN! You can only keep up play like they did for so long.

I think we all need to shut our eyes to the media, watch the games and enjoy the fact we're in the playoffs and be happy that in one more month we'll have everyone back, ready for a most serious cup run since our last cup.

Let's not overanalyze this stuff.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,521
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:22 pm

dbizzle66 wrote:
pulp22 wrote:
dbizzle66 wrote:My thoughts ... this team does not have the defensive capability to win a cup .. the homers can call me a bridge jumper ... but the team lacks guts and fortitude, period.


How can you make that assessment after one game when 3 of our top six defenders are out? Also how does this team lack guts?


Because as soon as they get hit with adversity, they crumble quick


LOL?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,097
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:It's so funny how quickly the worm turns. It's two losses after a fifteen game winning streak. What I find most amusing is how during the streak every article I'd read or any hockey analyst I'd watch on T.V. speak about how the Penguins have finally established their defense and become a defense-minded team. Now? After two losses I read the same people writing on how the Penguins could be in trouble if they don't fix what's already an "iffy" defense.

My buddy who's a Ranger fan of course gloated to no end. I did say to him earlier in the week that I'm really ready to just shut my eyes until the playoffs. The only thing I'm watching the games for is to see how are new acquisitions are panning out.

It's very simple what happened here. The Penguins rode a very long winning streak while losing key players along the way and it's catching up. I'm not saying I'd ever be happy for any team I follow to mail it in, but as long as we have no further injuries, what does anyone really care at this point? The Penguins are not only without Sid, but our TWO BEST DMEN! You can only keep up play like they did for so long.

I think we all need to shut our eyes to the media, watch the games and enjoy the fact we're in the playoffs and be happy that in one more month we'll have everyone back, ready for a most serious cup run since our last cup.

Let's not overanalyze this stuff.


I think it speaks volumes as to just how valuable Sid, Tanger, and Martin are to this team. I mean, I won't go as far as to say they looked exposed in terms of depth, even after the trades, but they certainly did not skate as hard as they typically do. And I understand you can't get up for every single game. But losing by a combined score of 10-2 against two opponents struggling mightily to score goals does not sit well. If they were losing 3-2 or 4-3, it would appear to be just the ebb and flow of a season.

But they way they lost was so reminiscent to the Flyers series last spring, I can see where some fans would get a little sour in terms of their overall prospects, even after just two losses. The Flyers series left a bad taste in our mouths that can only be cleansed with a playoff series victory. That is a strong possibility if they played like they did during the streak. And all but impossible if they played like they did the past two games.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,813
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Saskunitz on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:41 pm

tfrizz wrote:
71Aj66ax87 wrote:This game and the Buffalo game show why Crosby should win the Hart Memorial and Ted Lindsay Trophy.

:thumb:

I've said it 1000 times the past day or so: the team was fine with Malkin + Letang + Martin out; swap Malkin and Crosby, and everything falls apart.



Pens had a 2 game skid vs Canes and Panthers in late Feb when Malkin went down. And we had Letang and Martin in the lineup. Its a blip, move on.
Saskunitz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:25 am

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby offsides on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:It's so funny how quickly the worm turns. It's two losses after a fifteen game winning streak. What I find most amusing is how during the streak every article I'd read or any hockey analyst I'd watch on T.V. speak about how the Penguins have finally established their defense and become a defense-minded team. Now? After two losses I read the same people writing on how the Penguins could be in trouble if they don't fix what's already an "iffy" defense.

My buddy who's a Ranger fan of course gloated to no end. I did say to him earlier in the week that I'm really ready to just shut my eyes until the playoffs. The only thing I'm watching the games for is to see how are new acquisitions are panning out.

It's very simple what happened here. The Penguins rode a very long winning streak while losing key players along the way and it's catching up. I'm not saying I'd ever be happy for any team I follow to mail it in, but as long as we have no further injuries, what does anyone really care at this point? The Penguins are not only without Sid, but our TWO BEST DMEN! You can only keep up play like they did for so long.

I think we all need to shut our eyes to the media, watch the games and enjoy the fact we're in the playoffs and be happy that in one more month we'll have everyone back, ready for a most serious cup run since our last cup.

Let's not overanalyze this stuff.


Agree with most of this except the part about having everyone back. This is hockey, and injuries will and do happen. Hopefully we start the playoffs fairly healthy, and if we do and stay fairly healthy, I can see a long, long run to the SCFs.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,396
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Unbeliever on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:00 pm

To panic or do anything drastic over these two losses is an overreaction for sure, to call it a blip and shrug it off is an under reaction. It is one thing to lose a tight game, but another to get rolled over twice in a row. While this is not really a catastrophe it is still something concerning that needs to be taken care off. You go and get absolutely crushed two games in a row in the playoffs and you might find yourself on the golf course. The pens are allowed to lose, they are not allowed to get destroyed by the 8'th seed and a team that is no longer in the playoff race in two straight games though.
Unbeliever
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Shakes on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:06 pm

dbizzle66 wrote:My thoughts ... this team does not have the defensive capability to win a cup .. the homers can call me a bridge jumper ... but the team lacks guts and fortitude, period.


Bridge jumper.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,893
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

e-mail