Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 38 vs. Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:24 pm

We'll see how they respond. After winning 15 straight and giving up nine goals in the last 11 of those or whatever it was, it's foolish to jump off the handle after two losses, no matter how bad they were. On the other hand, a year ago they fell off the tracks after a long winning streak around this point in the season and never got back on. How they respond defines everything, not these two games. They've got ten left to get back on track. Plenty of time. I'll get worried if it continues for too long. Right now it's just two games.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck Drama on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:34 pm

My thoughts - the changes have caused uncertainty in on ice play. The uncertainty causes players to be hesitant. Hesitant players slow down. If you slow, you die.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:40 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:I think it speaks volumes as to just how valuable Sid, Tanger, and Martin are to this team. I mean, I won't go as far as to say they looked exposed in terms of depth, even after the trades, but they certainly did not skate as hard as they typically do. And I understand you can't get up for every single game. But losing by a combined score of 10-2 against two opponents struggling mightily to score goals does not sit well. If they were losing 3-2 or 4-3, it would appear to be just the ebb and flow of a season.

But they way they lost was so reminiscent to the Flyers series last spring, I can see where some fans would get a little sour in terms of their overall prospects, even after just two losses. The Flyers series left a bad taste in our mouths that can only be cleansed with a playoff series victory. That is a strong possibility if they played like they did during the streak. And all but impossible if they played like they did the past two games.

It's just not logical to allow two games to all of a sudden cause alarm after such a great stretch of hockey. Even the best of teams have more than a couple of horrid games a year.

Not being argumentative because I agree with what you say about the value of Sid, Martin and Letang, but it doesn't take a loss to show that. You're talking about our BEST defensemen out of the line-up. The best player in the league out of the line-up. The Pens are probably a bit run down from picking up the slack of those losses.

I mean, just look at Vokoun's game against Buffalo. He wasn't just bad, he looked out of sorts. These haven't been losses that are rooted in team issues. These are losses rooted wear and tear. Fleury is coming back from an injury and probably needs a bit to get back into his groove.

We also have to realize that teams battling for that final spot are likely to be FAR hungrier than teams like the Penguins and Habs. That doesn't necessarily excuse the Penguins as I believe they should play every game like the playoffs are on the line, but let's be real. They just rode a 15 game win streak, clinched the playoffs, missing HUGE parts of their line-up. Can anyone REALLY think that something like this wasn't bound to happen?

Even if the Penguins lose this next game against the Rangers and it's 6-1 again, the Penguins have a nice stretch of time to rest. They've build a nice cushion to allow for a few losses in the remaining games. I think a better gauge will be when they've had some time rest and start next week against Carolina.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby puckeye on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Unbeliever wrote:I just keep coming back to the same conclusion as I had before Iginla first arrived. The only sensible thing is to have Morrow with Malkin and Neal, Dupuis on the third line and Iginla on the first.

1) Morrow is slow, his puck control is questionable but the upside is that he creates space by being in front of the net. The only line that does not get worse from his downsides, and gets better from his strength is the second line. The players on the third line do not need a net front presence to create space, they need quick players and the ability to back check well. The first line already has a net front presence in Kunitz.

2) Neal and Iginla can't be on the same line, they are not doing well playing on their off wings and even if they surely could play on their off wing, the time it will take for them to do as well as they are doing normally is not worth the time spent.

3) Dupuis can play anywhere, he played on the third line when we won the cup, he back checks, he is not on the PP and he is on the PK and he is fast. All of those factors are things you want in a third line winger. You want the third line to cycle and be defensively minded. Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis would be an amazing third line in terms of their dedication and how well they can dig in along the boards.

4) The "Best line in hockey" is already broken up due to Crosby's injury which was the only sensible argument to not break them up. Play Iginla and Kunitz with any placeholder center until Sid is back.

:thumb:

agree with a lot here except the concern about 12 & 18 not playing well on their off wing. Think that line has been dangerous with Geno trying to get back into game mode. That said, think they have to move Iggy to play with Kunitz with the plug-in center till 87 returns.

Duper and Sutter could be a dangerous 3rd line. Like Sutter's game but been somewhat disappointed in his production. Not as much as # of points but like to see more puck possession which I think Dupuis would help. Love to see Bennet (a playmaker) on that line but realize that it is not likely to happen.

love the point on maximizing Morrow's value on Geno's line
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:53 pm

Iginla is a RW and Neal's natural position is LW. They'll be fine. I don't think there will be any issue with that line as they have more time together. I think that line will be about finding eachother's "role" and that is something that will take a few more games.

I remember Hossa taking a little time to gel with Sid once he came back from injury. It's oddly easier to fit lesser players on a line like for immediate return because when a player like Cooke or Kennedy get thrown up there, they know EXACTLY what they're supposed to do and they do it. Notice I said immediate return. In this situation, you may not get immediate return, but once it all comes together you get long-term return. You have three former 40+ goal scorers on one line who are used to being the focal point, it's going to take a little time to let them find their roles.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby puckeye on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:20 pm

I have no doubt that 18-71-12 would be a very good if not great line. Just think that moving Iggy with Kunitz and Dupuis to Sutter's line make the Pens a more dangerous team.

A valid concern is that Sid's injury likely doesn't give 12 & 87 much of an opportunity to play together before playoffs.
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Henry Hank wrote:We'll see how they respond. After winning 15 straight and giving up nine goals in the last 11 of those or whatever it was, it's foolish to jump off the handle after two losses, no matter how bad they were. On the other hand, a year ago they fell off the tracks after a long winning streak around this point in the season and never got back on. How they respond defines everything, not these two games. They've got ten left to get back on track. Plenty of time. I'll get worried if it continues for too long. Right now it's just two games.

It's also two games in 24 hours. I know it was the Rangers, but it happened to Chicago too. You lose the streak there is some sag.

I would be a little concerned if we come out flat against the Rangers now that they fed us our lunch in the last game. Friday should be a good effort. Missing so much talent though makes it less than a "must win" to me. We just need to compete better.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Puck Drama wrote:My thoughts - the changes have caused uncertainty in on ice play. The uncertainty causes players to be hesitant. Hesitant players slow down. If you slow, you die.

Hey, this makes sense.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:21 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Missing so much talent though makes it less than a "must win" to me.

i guess there won't be any "must wins" for the rest of the season since we've basically clinched a top 2 seed already
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby rgj on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:55 am

marek wrote:Watching the game again... replay on NHL network... And if Kunitz or Iginla score instead of hitting the post in the first few minutes and I think the game has a totally different outcome... !

I'll certainly give you that. But it is just as evident to me that when it did not go their way, the Pens were content to settle back into their "look at how good we are, be afraid" mode. As soon as I saw the Rangers scrambling after the loose pucks and the Pens standing around watching, I knew this game was lost, even though there had been no goals scored.
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby rgj on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:08 am

RxBandit66 wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:It's so funny how quickly the worm turns. It's two losses after a fifteen game winning streak. What I find most amusing is how during the streak every article I'd read or any hockey analyst I'd watch on T.V. speak about how the Penguins have finally established their defense and become a defense-minded team. Now? After two losses I read the same people writing on how the Penguins could be in trouble if they don't fix what's already an "iffy" defense.

My buddy who's a Ranger fan of course gloated to no end. I did say to him earlier in the week that I'm really ready to just shut my eyes until the playoffs. The only thing I'm watching the games for is to see how are new acquisitions are panning out.

It's very simple what happened here. The Penguins rode a very long winning streak while losing key players along the way and it's catching up. I'm not saying I'd ever be happy for any team I follow to mail it in, but as long as we have no further injuries, what does anyone really care at this point? The Penguins are not only without Sid, but our TWO BEST DMEN! You can only keep up play like they did for so long.

I think we all need to shut our eyes to the media, watch the games and enjoy the fact we're in the playoffs and be happy that in one more month we'll have everyone back, ready for a most serious cup run since our last cup.

Let's not overanalyze this stuff.

I think it speaks volumes as to just how valuable Sid, Tanger, and Martin are to this team. I mean, I won't go as far as to say they looked exposed in terms of depth, even after the trades, but they certainly did not skate as hard as they typically do. And I understand you can't get up for every single game. But losing by a combined score of 10-2 against two opponents struggling mightily to score goals does not sit well. If they were losing 3-2 or 4-3, it would appear to be just the ebb and flow of a season.

But they way they lost was so reminiscent to the Flyers series last spring, I can see where some fans would get a little sour in terms of their overall prospects, even after just two losses. The Flyers series left a bad taste in our mouths that can only be cleansed with a playoff series victory. That is a strong possibility if they played like they did during the streak. And all but impossible if they played like they did the past two games.

Can't figure out how to delete the 1st quote and the first paragraph of the response, but the second paragraph of the response is the proverbial "hitting the nail right on the head." If the Pens play the way they have for the past two games, the season is over in Round One. If they show the tenacity they did during Sid's recuperation time last year and during Malkin's time off this year....well, good things can happen. The missing link is simply the Pens' tenacity. It that switch gonna be "on" or "off?" I don't mind losing a tough, tight game as long as it is well played, and high energy effort. But to lose two laughers to the Sabres and Rangers in the manner they did is totally UNACCEPTABLE, regardless of who is or is not injured. They are supposed to be part of an elite group of professional hockey players that are paid a hell of a lot of money. There is NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER.
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins