Morrow is a waste playing on the third line

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Morrow is a waste playing on the third line

Postby npv708 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:20 am

Ok...

so imagine you just got hired by Google, as an executive. You're not Larry or Sergey, but you're in the top 10 in the organization. Great, huh? You're in your first week on the job, when the organization tells you they've hired Sean Parker to replace you and you'll actually be demoted to an executive assistant position working alongside a 23 year old and a misfit. You probably wouldn't be too thrilled with your job and your performance might drop.

Morrow was brought on and billed as the next "Billy G" but younger, but can you honestly tell me that Guerin would've been nearly as effective on the 3rd line in 2009?

Here's what I'm thinking:

Pre-Crosby return:
Kunitz - Jokinen - Iginla
Neal - Malkin - Morrow
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Kennedy - Adams - Glass

Post-Sid
Kunitz - Crosby- Iginla
Neal - Malkin - Morrow
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Kennedy - Jokinen - Adams/Glass
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Morrow is a waste playing on the third line

Postby largegarlic on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:25 am

npv708 wrote:Ok...

so imagine you just got hired by Google, as an executive. You're not Larry or Sergey, but you're in the top 10 in the organization. Great, huh? You're in your first week on the job, when the organization tells you they've hired Sean Parker to replace you and you'll actually be demoted to an executive assistant position working alongside a 23 year old and a misfit. You probably wouldn't be too thrilled with your job and your performance might drop.

Morrow was brought on and billed as the next "Billy G" but younger, but can you honestly tell me that Guerin would've been nearly as effective on the 3rd line in 2009?

Pre-Crosby return:
Kunitz - Jokinen - Iginla
Neal - Malkin - Morrow
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Kennedy - Adams - Glass

Post-Sid
Kunitz - Crosby- Iginla
Neal - Malkin - Morrow
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Hah! I just posted pretty much the same thought in the Thoughts from the Morning After thread...totally agree.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:26 am

That's what I was thinking too. Iginla and Kunitz should be able to carry a line with anyone centering them and Jokinen can actually play with them.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:26 am

i don't want to jump to conclusions about a guy i've only seen play a few times, but i will anyways...morrow's hands look to be totally gone and his skating is concerning. being able to forecheck and park yourself in front of the net doesn't necessarily buy you a ticket into the top 6.

i think the best we can hope for is that he becomes 2008 gary roberts. a guy that wills himself a few points here and there, but is mainly around just to provide some nastiness and leadership. he's certainly not guerin. guerin still had skill, if not speed. morrow may not have either. the trade still might work out, but not in the way you're projecting, imo.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:28 am

shmenguin wrote:i don't want to jump to conclusions about a guy i've only seen play a few times, but i will anyways...morrow's hands look to be totally gone and his skating is concerning. being able to forecheck and park yourself in front of the net doesn't necessarily buy you a ticket into the top 6.

i think the best we can hope for is that he becomes 2008 gary roberts. a guy that wills himself a few points here and there, but is mainly around just to provide some nastiness and leadership. he's certainly not guerin. guerin still had skill, if not speed. morrow may not have either. the trade still might work out, but not in the way you're projecting, imo.

This just about covers it.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:30 am

The one thing Morrow still does really well is delivering sneaky cheap shots that will never get called. Malkin needs that on his line.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:31 am

shmenguin wrote:i don't want to jump to conclusions about a guy i've only seen play a few times, but i will anyways...morrow's hands look to be totally gone and his skating is concerning. being able to forecheck and park yourself in front of the net doesn't necessarily buy you a ticket into the top 6.

There is not a part of this post that I do not agree with. If we just wanted a big slow guy to sit in front of the net we would've kept Tangradi.

The problem with Morrow is he is not a playmaker so you can't put him on the 1st 2 lines and he is too slow to play on the bottom 2 lines. A poor Dallas team was struggling to find a place for him so how can we be expected to do a better job with that decision?
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:31 am

npv708 wrote:Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

This third line sucks. Not enough size.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:32 am

DelPen wrote:The one thing Morrow still does really well is delivering sneaky cheap shots that will never get called. Malkin needs that on his line.

between malkin and neal's propensities to flip the f**** out at the drop of a dime, i don't think we need any more snarl on that line. leave it alone or swap kunitz for iginla
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:35 am

shmenguin wrote:
DelPen wrote:The one thing Morrow still does really well is delivering sneaky cheap shots that will never get called. Malkin needs that on his line.

between malkin and neal's propensities to flip the f**** out at the drop of a dime, i don't think we need any more snarl on that line. leave it alone or swap kunitz for iginla

If Morrow is out there doing the nasty stuff then that will draw focus to him and also make it unnecessary for Neal and Malkin to be stupid.

Can't hurt to try it a game or two again, Neal and Iginla just don't mix well, that line has moments but looks like trash until they set up a perfect shot.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:36 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:The problem with Morrow is he is not a playmaker so you can't put him on the 1st 2 lines and he is too slow to play on the bottom 2 lines. A poor Dallas team was struggling to find a place for him so how can we be expected to do a better job with that decision?

he can be in the bottom 6, despite his speed. but i don't know if he can be there with sutter, whose skating makes it look like he's always at the end of a long shift.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:38 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:The problem with Morrow is he is not a playmaker so you can't put him on the 1st 2 lines and he is too slow to play on the bottom 2 lines. A poor Dallas team was struggling to find a place for him so how can we be expected to do a better job with that decision?

Kunitz and Dupuis aren't playmakers, either, but they are both on the top 2 lines so I don't quite get that point. Morrow is a complimentary player just like Dupuis and Kunitz, and he isn't going to make a line effective by himself. In reply to the OP, I wouldn't say he is a waste playing 3rd line when the team is healthy, but he is certainly a waste playing with TK and Cooke, like last night. He looked fine in a complimentary role playing with Malkin and Neal previously.

Bottom line right now is if the team wants to keep winning, they are going to need to juggle the lines with Crosby out of the line-up. Sutter looked out of place centering Dupuis and Kunitz, TK isn't a center, and there is no reason to put all the star players onto one line. The team only has one effective line right now.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:41 am

I don't want to break up that first line once Crosby gets back, and I want the second line to start to gell in time for the playoffs, so to me, there is really no other place for Morrow other than the 3rd line.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:42 am

Yes! Morrow cannot be a 3rd liner he's far too slow. Morrow - Malkin - Neal was very good for the game they were together. Morrow can be the 3rd best guy on a scoring line and occupy the front of the net. Iginla should be first line RW. Enough with the chemistry, best line, dupuis deserves garbage. Dupuis moving to the 3rd line makes this team deeper and more dangerous. Morrow back with Malkin-Neal and there should be no questions. Iginla to top line RW and there should be no questions. Dupuis the 3rd line because that's where he fits best with the new additions.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:44 am

npv708 wrote:Morrow was brought on and billed as the next "Billy G" but younger, but can you honestly tell me that Guerin would've been nearly as effective on the 3rd line in 2009?

Morrow hasn't been near the goal scorer that Guerin was in his career. They're completely different players, Guerin generated offense with his instincts and shot, Morrow is a grinder.

Morrow needs to show that he isn't toast as a player before he starts getting meaningful minutes. He needs to adapt to the team, not the other way around.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:44 am

JoseCuervo wrote:Bottom line right now is if the team wants to keep winning, they are going to need to juggle the lines with Crosby out of the line-up. Sutter looked out of place centering Dupuis and Kunitz, TK isn't a center, and there is no reason to put all the star players onto one line. The team only has one effective line right now.

jokinen should help with this mess. he's probably going to fit in with kunitz/dupuis better than sutter. hopefully that's where he's slotted. if nothing else, it at least gets TK out of the mix.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:44 am

npv708 wrote:Ok...
Post-Sid
Kunitz - Crosby- Iginla
Neal - Malkin - Morrow
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Top 9 spot on. That 4th line w/o glass is soffer than gravy.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:46 am

Kinda depends on how long Sid will be out. I do like your lines and think they would work out well. But it would be nice to see Iginla Malkin and Neal get clicking on all cylinders playing together befor the playoffs start. It seems Sid wants to play with Kunitz and Dupuis so getting our 2nd line insync in the next 10 games might help you come playoff time. They had a ton of chances last night and once Sid comes back and that line is facing lessor talent they should be lighting it up.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:49 am

pfim wrote:
npv708 wrote:Morrow was brought on and billed as the next "Billy G" but younger, but can you honestly tell me that Guerin would've been nearly as effective on the 3rd line in 2009?

Morrow hasn't been near the goal scorer that Guerin was in his career. They're completely different players, Guerin generated offense with his instincts and shot, Morrow is a grinder.

Morrow needs to show that he isn't toast as a player before he starts getting meaningful minutes. He needs to adapt to the team, not the other way around.

He seemed pretty darn adept with Malkin and Neal when he was parking his rear in front of the net and occupying 2 guys. I'd say he's only effective for this team on a scoring line and he showed to be an element Malkin/Neal could use to high effectiveness (given only one game) but bottom line he created space for better players. Filling a checking role just doesn't fit his foot speed with this team's style.

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Morrow - Malkin - Neal

Duper goes to the 3rd line, it's not a big deal.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:52 am

shmenguin wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:Bottom line right now is if the team wants to keep winning, they are going to need to juggle the lines with Crosby out of the line-up. Sutter looked out of place centering Dupuis and Kunitz, TK isn't a center, and there is no reason to put all the star players onto one line. The team only has one effective line right now.

jokinen should help with this mess. he's probably going to fit in with kunitz/dupuis better than sutter. hopefully that's where he's slotted. if nothing else, it at least gets TK out of the mix.

Jokinen is a decent player and will certainly help, but Kunitz-Jokinen-Dupuis still isn't going to be a very effective line. Crosby made that line effective not Kunitz and Dupuis. I don't see much need to keep Kunitz and Dupuis together.

I think Neal-Malkin-Iginla need to be split to distribute some scoring talent throughout the lineup. If it's the plan to keep that line in the playoffs, then I don't see a problem with building some chemistry, but they aren't going to win right now when that's the only effective line.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:57 am

JoseCuervo wrote:Jokinen is a decent player and will certainly help, but Kunitz-Jokinen-Dupuis still isn't going to be a very effective line. Crosby made that line effective not Kunitz and Dupuis. I don't see much need to keep Kunitz and Dupuis together.

yeah, that's true. swap dupuis and ignila maybe. keep sutter on the 3rd. i don't really have much confidence in his ability to participate in a scoring line.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:58 am

newarenanow wrote:I don't want to break up that first line once Crosby gets back, and I want the second line to start to gell in time for the playoffs, so to me, there is really no other place for Morrow other than the 3rd line.

:thumb:

I understand the urge to put Kunitz back with Malkin & Neal, especially with Crosby out, but the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line has carried the team all season and they're going to have to continue to do so in the playoffs. Going with Kunitz-Malkin-Neal now does nothing but create more shuffling when Crosby returns for the playoffs.

Go with roughly the lines they want to use a month from now, subbing Jokinen for Crosby, and give the other 3 lines time to gel.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:00 am

shmenguin wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:Jokinen is a decent player and will certainly help, but Kunitz-Jokinen-Dupuis still isn't going to be a very effective line. Crosby made that line effective not Kunitz and Dupuis. I don't see much need to keep Kunitz and Dupuis together.

yeah, that's true. swap dupuis and ignila maybe. keep sutter on the 3rd. i don't really have much confidence in his ability to participate in a scoring line.

It's not so much about keeping Kunitz and Dupuis together. It's more about not messing with the other lines.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:01 am

tfrizz wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

It's not so much about keeping Kunitz and Dupuis together. It's more about not messing with the other lines.

Keeping Kunitz and Dupuis together gives me hope that Crosby is gonna be back sooner rather than later. I'm guessing once they get a time frame, they'll either reconstruct lines or determine that he's coming back soon and keep dupuis and kunitz together.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:13 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
pfim wrote:

He seemed pretty darn adept with Malkin and Neal when he was parking his rear in front of the net and occupying 2 guys. I'd say he's only effective for this team on a scoring line and he showed to be an element Malkin/Neal could use to high effectiveness (given only one game) but bottom line he created space for better players. Filling a checking role just doesn't fit his foot speed with this team's style.

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Morrow - Malkin - Neal

Duper goes to the 3rd line, it's not a big deal.

Agreed. :thumb:
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins