Morrow is a waste playing on the third line

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Morrow is a waste playing on the third line

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:12 am

pens_srq wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:-Crosby + Malkin love the half boards on PP. Why force one to be less effective rather than split the PP units?

Because it's way better to have the 5 best guys on your team take a 2 min shift and then have a them exhausted and 83% likely to have accomplished nothing. Than to have a good flow with everyone ready to respond to whatever develops after the power play. Even Bowman with Lemieux didn't have him taking 2 min shift. Most of our guys stay out there the full 2 minutes.

misquoted! I didnt write that! Board police.

But now that you brought it up, my contention for years is that the Pens should train Malkin to be right handed. Each of those guys on the half boards with Neal or Kunitz down low. Book it goal every time, Shero made a glaring error by drafting two left handed super stars after Patrick had already drafted Staal. Fire him.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:15 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Adams/Vitale/Glass/Jeffery/Kennedy/Juicy (any combo)

I feel the 2nd combo posted gives the Pens ridiculous depth through the first 3 lines and enough speed on each line to push the Pens desired forecheck while still playing responsible hockey. Morrow especially in the 3rd line role cannot execute the high velocity forecheck the Penguins want to implement.

:thumb: Also has everyone playing their most effective position. Morrow looked a good fit with Geno and Neal, if reformed I guarantee you'd see him banging some trashy rebounds in.

Sadly the 4th will almost certainly involve both Glass and Adams due to PK role.
Vitale-Jokinen-Kennedy could be dangerous, not big but just enough grit and tons of speed to fore/back check. Really wish I knew why Vitale not a PKer...
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:18 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:But now that you brought it up, my contention for years is that the Pens should train Malkin to be right handed. Each of those guys on the half boards with Neal or Kunitz down low. Book it goal every time, Shero made a glaring error by drafting two left handed super stars after Patrick had already drafted Staal. Fire him.

Huh??/ Is this quote for real?

How do you train an adult player to be right handed? And the drafting line...has to be a joke right?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:27 am

pfim wrote:He's actually second in the league in ESG. And this isn't an anomaly, he's produced at even-strength for this team for years. This has absolutely nothing to do with what he's "earned" but what production will be going forward.

What you're saying is that you'd rather have Morrow in a top 6 role than Dupuis, which I can't justify in any objective or subjective fashion.

I think the point is:
Iginla>Dupuis on top line
Dupuis>Morrow on third line
Morrow LW>Neal LW on second line
Neal RW>Neal LW on second line
Cooke LW>Cooke RW on third line
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:30 am

Our 3rd line of Cooke Sutter and Morrow has a very low ceiling, offensively. If everyone's healthy, that's not going to be a problem, but we certainly aren't going to have the same experience as in 09, as far as scoring depth goes.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:34 am

shmenguin wrote:Our 3rd line of Cooke Sutter and Morrow has a very low ceiling, offensively. If everyone's healthy, that's not going to be a problem, but we certainly aren't going to have the same experience as in 09, as far as scoring depth goes.

Agreed. Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis looks far less offensively handicapped.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:42 am

Pitts wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:But now that you brought it up, my contention for years is that the Pens should train Malkin to be right handed. Each of those guys on the half boards with Neal or Kunitz down low. Book it goal every time, Shero made a glaring error by drafting two left handed super stars after Patrick had already drafted Staal. Fire him.

Huh??/ Is this quote for real?

How do you train an adult player to be right handed? And the drafting line...has to be a joke right?

Yes, its a joke.

The power play debate has been going on for so long now. Malkin and Crosby like to play the same spot or close enough to it. There is no 100% solution to this. It just is what it is. Same power play, different play, different positions whatever it just doesnt matter. There is only so much you can do unless one of them magically becomes right handed and likes to play the other wall.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:07 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Yes, its a joke.

:thumb:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby André on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:36 pm

shmenguin wrote:i don't want to jump to conclusions about a guy i've only seen play a few times, but i will anyways...morrow's hands look to be totally gone and his skating is concerning. being able to forecheck and park yourself in front of the net doesn't necessarily buy you a ticket into the top 6.

i think the best we can hope for is that he becomes 2008 gary roberts. a guy that wills himself a few points here and there, but is mainly around just to provide some nastiness and leadership. he's certainly not guerin. guerin still had skill, if not speed. morrow may not have either. the trade still might work out, but not in the way you're projecting, imo.

I agree. Great net presence and hitting but poor wheels and hands is my exact summary. Should've gotten at least two goals in those first two games with Geno but couldn't execute.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I like what Morrow is bringing. Five more hits last night. It's not about him putting up goals and assists, making sweet plays with the puck. He's here to bring a physical element, get in the goalie's face, and lead. He's definitely doing the first two things, I'd assume the third is happening as well. He is going to make an impact in the playoffs Gary Roberts style. Not here to contribute to the offensive powerhouse.

Morrow did exactly what you'd expect him to two after the team laid two stinkers earlier in the week. Right from his first shift he was playing hard and physical. As you said, whether he contributes offensively or not he will still be a good addition by being hard to play against, taking on a leadership role, and bumping more marginal players (ex: Glass) out of the lineup.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins