Morrow is a waste playing on the third line

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Morrow is a waste playing on the third line

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 am

tfrizz wrote:Go with roughly the lines they want to use a month from now, subbing Jokinen for Crosby, and give the other 3 lines time to gel.

It really sucks that Crosby got hurt when he did because I don't know if they are completely positive what the lines are going to be a month from now. I think Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis is a great line, but with Crosby out, those two players are just meh. I certainly see reason to give time to Neal-Malkin-Iginla if that is the future plan and they want them to gel, but this team won't be winning many games with just that one effective line.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby guiner on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:11 am

I'm willing to give him more time, but so far I prefer Bennett to Morrow period.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:12 am

My only issue with Morrow when we got him was everyone thinking his overall play/numbers were down from playing with poor forwards. Until the deadline the Stars actually had a pretty good set of forwards. Not like the Pens but a solid crop, 2 decent centers, some 60 pt scorers and decent role players.

He was pretty awful this year. Not sure i am comfortable with him on the top two lines for a playoff run.

Juggling the lines after the trade is tough to figure out. I want Neal back on the right side because his main or sometimes only skill is that shot from that circle. If that means pushing Dupuis to the 3rd I guess I am on board with that.

just trying to think about beat utilizing our assets.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:37 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:My only issue with Morrow when we got him was everyone thinking his overall play/numbers were down from playing with poor forwards. Until the deadline the Stars actually had a pretty good set of forwards. Not like the Pens but a solid crop, 2 decent centers, some 60 pt scorers and decent role players.

While true, Morrow wasn't really playing with those players aside from a few occasions.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:45 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:My only issue with Morrow when we got him was everyone thinking his overall play/numbers were down from playing with poor forwards. Until the deadline the Stars actually had a pretty good set of forwards. Not like the Pens but a solid crop, 2 decent centers, some 60 pt scorers and decent role players.

He was pretty awful this year. Not sure i am comfortable with him on the top two lines for a playoff run.

Juggling the lines after the trade is tough to figure out. I want Neal back on the right side because his main or sometimes only skill is that shot from that circle. If that means pushing Dupuis to the 3rd I guess I am on board with that.

just trying to think about beat utilizing our assets.

I share a genuine concern that Bylsma fails to maximise individual player's skill sets or utilise the teams assets through insistence on forcing players into positions where they are less effective, essentially banging square pegs into round holes. Examples include, but are not limited to:

-Neal's off wing one-timer. Why was he put on point/rover for PP? Why force him to be less effective at LW to accommodate Iginla?
-Cooke is a good 3rd line LW. Why make him less effective to accommodate Morrow (who is arguably worse than Cooke in that 3rd line role)?
-TK is a RW with little to no hockey sense, and shoot first mentality. Why play him as first line centre?
-Letang CANNOT QB the PP. Why have him out on the first unit game after game?
-Crosby + Malkin love the half boards on PP. Why force one to be less effective rather than split the PP units?
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:48 am

Sutter has also seem to lost some of that offensive outburst he showed a few weeks back.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:58 am

SolidSnake wrote:Sutter has also seem to lost some of that offensive outburst he showed a few weeks back.

He seems more likely to score those clutch goals in tight games when he's not necessarily expected or relied upon to do so.
I would rather see him perfecting that shutdown role in the next few weeks but look forward to seeing 'Mr Clutch' in the playoffs :D
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the riddler on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:59 am

I think the 3rd line does need to have some speed. I'd rather see Morrow on one of the top 2 lines or 4th.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:01 pm

DelPen wrote:The one thing Morrow still does really well is delivering sneaky cheap shots that will never get called. Malkin needs that on his line.

:thumb: This is true. And he'll do it even more often once the playoffs roll around. He's been hitting pretty well too. That will also pick up when the time is right. Morrow is a veteran gamer who will do his best work in the playoffs.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Buccobruce on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:02 pm

I have heard from the time we acquired Iginla that neither him, Dupuis, or Neal are comfortable playing on the Left wing anymore and I don't think Cooke is comfortable playing on right wing. So DB needs to play to their strengths. Im sure Crosby isn't going to mind playing with Iginla and having a RH shot on his line. Dupuis and his speed on the third line will make that line more dangerous also.

As for Morrow I have hated that trade since it was consummated but he is a part of this team now and in his short sampling here he has looked most comfortable playing with Malkin and Neal. My concerns are his skating and always seeming to fall off down off his skates. I just dont expect much of a forecheck with him. Didn't like trade at time because of the return and of what I was reading from Dallas Fans.

I also do not like Iginla on the point of the power play. With all these options I wouldn't be opposed to giving Crosby and Geno their own unit.
Buccobruce
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Sutter has also seem to lost some of that offensive outburst he showed a few weeks back.

He seems more likely to score those clutch goals in tight games when he's not necessarily expected or relied upon to do so.
I would rather see him perfecting that shutdown role in the next few weeks but look forward to seeing 'Mr Clutch' in the playoffs :D

Yea if he's saving GWG for the playoffs then I'm all for it.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lesky on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Where are the lovers of the trade now? People saying Morrow was exactly what this team needed etc. Shero was equal to god for pulling the trade off because the Guerin deal worked fine or simply because he is Ray Shero´ :thumbdown:

Morrow is spent, I would prefer him scratched or on the 4th line. Imagine Morrow physically holding up to a long playoff rung - not going to happen!

I hate to say I told you so, but I did :)
Last edited by Lesky on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:22 pm

No words to describe all this bridge jumping.

Kunitz-Jokinen-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis

Get everyone on their comfy wings, spread some talent. Morrow showed he was effective with those two, why not keep it working?
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:23 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:No words to describe all this bridge jumping.

Kunitz-Jokinen-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis

Get everyone on their comfy wings, spread some talent. Morrow showed he was effective with those two, why not keep it working?

:thumb:
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:26 pm

Lesky wrote:Where are the lovers of the trade now? People saying Morrow was exactly what this team needed etc. Shero was equal to god for pulling the trade off because the Guerin deal worked fine or simply because he is Ray Shero´ :thumbdown:

Morrow is spent, I would prefer him scratched or on the 4th line. Imagine Morrow physically holding up to a long playoff rung - not going to happen!

Shouldn't you be posting on "LetsGoBruins"?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:27 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:

While true, Morrow wasn't really playing with those players aside from a few occasions.

The pretty good top 6 or the decent role players? He played with both a lot and was pretty bad.

I don't have much against getting someone in his mold but I just think people don't realize he wasn't a very good top 9 player on a team with a decent top 9 so I'm not sure what the expectations where.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:34 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:Get everyone on their comfy wings, spread some talent. Morrow showed he was effective with those two, why not keep it working?

I definitely like your lines and agree with them, but to respond to the question, the pens need to get ready for the playoffs. If they are 100% intent on going with Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis and Neal-Malkin-Iginla, then it may be better to get chemistry going with the new guys and what their roles will eventually be when Crosby gets back and they get to the playoffs. Just don't expect them to win many games until Crosby gets back if they go that route.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:42 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:Get everyone on their comfy wings, spread some talent. Morrow showed he was effective with those two, why not keep it working?

I definitely like your lines and agree with them, but to respond to the question, the pens need to get ready for the playoffs. If they are 100% intent on going with Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis and Neal-Malkin-Iginla, then it may be better to get chemistry going with the new guys and what their roles will eventually be when Crosby gets back and they get to the playoffs. Just don't expect them to win many games until Crosby gets back if they go that route.

Don't expect to win many games until Crosby gets back regardless. Malkin & Neal have struggled all season to produce anywhere but the powerplay which, incidentally, is when they're on the ice with Crosby!
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:No words to describe all this bridge jumping.

Kunitz-Jokinen-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis

:thumb:

Substitute Bennett for Morrow and put Morrow on the bench and I think those lines are solid.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:55 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:

I feel like these next few games without Sid will determine whether Iginla goes with him or Geno. If that line starts clicking, by all means keep it together. I'm trying to look at long term chemistry and depth...we all know Dupuis can play and score anywhere.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Morrow = Roberts+ = 3rd line.
Iggy = Guerin+ = top 6.

Morrow of course can acquit himself in the top 6, but I'm in the leave the Sid line alone camp.

People rave about the one game Morrow played with Neal and Malkin (and it did work), but I think that had more to do with the Jets being awful that nigth than anything else.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Lesky wrote:Where are the lovers of the trade now? People saying Morrow was exactly what this team needed etc. Shero was equal to god for pulling the trade off because the Guerin deal worked fine or simply because he is Ray Shero´ :thumbdown:

Since the playoffs haven't started yet, I don't think you can say anything.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Shakes wrote:Morrow = Roberts+ = 3rd line.
Iggy = Guerin+ = top 6.

Morrow of course can acquit himself in the top 6, but I'm in the leave the Sid line alone camp.

People rave about the one game Morrow played with Neal and Malkin (and it did work), but I think that had more to do with the Jets being awful that nigth than anything else.

I dunno about that. When Malone was doing what Morrow was doing Malkin was highly effective and the Pens haven't had a guy to go to the net and plant himself there since then. Bottom line Morrow created space for the more creative Malkin and Neal to work. Standing in front of the net isn't just something that will occupy bad teams, even good teams have to pay attention to a guy planting himself there when pucks from the likes of Malkin and Neal will be flying towards the net.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 pm

I don't disagree that Morrow can be effective there. I just think over time, Iginla will be way more effective. He's better in all respects and he can occupy the front too.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:15 am

I like Morrow Malkin Neal. They are not a speedy line and those two alone possess the puck enough to allow Morrow to get in front of the net.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins