Morrow is a waste playing on the third line

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Morrow is a waste playing on the third line

Postby k0la on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:04 am

When it's playoff time we'll probably see the two headed monster more, and 4th line will get very limited time, so whichever you send to the third line, Morrow or Dupuis, will get time with Sid/Malkin or special teams anyways.
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby scals37 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:17 am

Dupuis won't and should not be relegated to third line duty
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby headh on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:23 am

14, 87, 9
24, 71, 18
10, juice, 12
46, 16, 48

Full that cup with brandy
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_srq on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:54 am

Yeah truth is Dupuis is non-essential on top 2 lines. You could put Morrow and Iginla out there with Sid and reunite Kunitz Malkin Neal to get Geno going again.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:24 am

Dupuis leads the team in ESG. Non-essential doesn't seem like an apt description.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:29 am

pens_srq wrote:Yeah truth is Dupuis is non-essential on top 2 lines. You could put Morrow and Iginla out there with Sid and reunite Kunitz Malkin Neal to get Geno going again.

The truth is that Dupuis is a 3rd line talent producing like an all-star on the first line. Iginla is a first line talent that will produce like a first line talent regardless. The net production will be greatest with Dupuis playing where he is and just finding somewhere else for Iginla.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:32 am

pens_srq wrote:Yeah truth is Dupuis is non-essential on top 2 lines. You could put Morrow and Iginla out there with Sid and reunite Kunitz Malkin Neal to get Geno going again.

Morrow should not play with Sid. Crosby plays a speed based game and Morrow can't keep up. Dupuis certainly fits well with Sid's quick game, but I agree that he isn't needed for that line to work- Crosby makes Kunitz and Dupuis play better not the other way around.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:32 am

pfim wrote:Dupuis leads the team in ESG. Non-essential doesn't seem like an apt description.

I get that, do you think the team suffers greatly if say Iginla takes Dupuis' spot? How much more effective would the 3rd line be with the infusion of speed and intelligence Dupuis would bring as opposed to the SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT mentality of Kennedy? It seems that the most dangerous combination of talent the Pens could put on the ice moves Dupuis to the 3rd line, puts Morrow LW on Malkin's line, and puts Iginla RW on Crosby's line. We all love Dupuis and appreciate his maturation as a player but building a dangerous team is more important than keeping Dupuis in a spot because he's "earned it" or in your case the more tangible leads the team in ESg.

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Neal - Malkin - Iginla
Morrow - Sutter - Kennedy
Cooke - Adams/Vitale - Glass/Adams

IMO doesn't look as good or as fearsome as

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Adams/Vitale/Glass/Jeffery/Kennedy/Juicy (any combo)

I feel the 2nd combo posted gives the Pens ridiculous depth through the first 3 lines and enough speed on each line to push the Pens desired forecheck while still playing responsible hockey. Morrow especially in the 3rd line role cannot execute the high velocity forecheck the Penguins want to implement.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:36 am

He's actually second in the league in ESG. And this isn't an anomaly, he's produced at even-strength for this team for years. This has absolutely nothing to do with what he's "earned" but what production will be going forward.

What you're saying is that you'd rather have Morrow in a top 6 role than Dupuis, which I can't justify in any objective or subjective fashion.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:37 am

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

I keep returning to this idea and it seems to just make the most sense. :shrug:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:41 am

pfim wrote:He's actually second in the league in ESG. And this isn't an anomaly, he's produced at even-strength for this team for years. This has absolutely nothing to do with what he's "earned" but what production will be going forward.

What you're saying is that you'd rather have Morrow in a top 6 role than Dupuis, which I can't justify in any objective or subjective fashion.

Other than Malkin has demonstrated to work extremely well with a player of Morrow's ilk on his line.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:06 am

I think it makes more sense, if there is a change, to get Kunitz on Malkin's line and Iginla with Crosby.

I really don't think that Iginla-Malkin-Neal has been that bad, they've been together when the blueline was decimated and there was no transition game to speak of. I just don't see Morrow as being more productive than Dupuis has been.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:16 am

pfim wrote:I think it makes more sense, if there is a change, to get Kunitz on Malkin's line and Iginla with Crosby.

I really don't think that Iginla-Malkin-Neal has been that bad, they've been together when the blueline was decimated and there was no transition game to speak of. I just don't see Morrow as being more productive than Dupuis has been.

See, I think there is a problem with looking at it this way. You're 100% correct that Morrow will probably not be more productive than Dupuis. I completely agree with that.

But... The more important question is would Morrow make Neal/Malkin more productive. I think Morrow would open up space for Malkin and Neal to be more productive, while putting Kunitz with Iginla would help them be more productive and make it more difficult for defenders to defend against.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:21 am

npv708 wrote:
pfim wrote:I think it makes more sense, if there is a change, to get Kunitz on Malkin's line and Iginla with Crosby.

See, I think there is a problem with looking at it this way. You're 100% correct that Morrow will probably not be more productive than Dupuis. I completely agree with that.

But... The more important question is would Morrow make Neal/Malkin more productive. I think Morrow would open up space for Malkin and Neal to be more productive, while putting Kunitz with Iginla would help them be more productive and make it more difficult for defenders to defend against.

On top of the third line adding Dupuis would be all over forwards trying to move the puck and add to the possession DB is so fond of.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mike61 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:35 am

I think the lines should look like this

Kunitz Juicy Ignila Sid goes in when back healthy
Morrow Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Dupuis
Bennet Adams Kennedy I would drop Kennedy when Sid is healthy and put juicy at center Adams at wing

On all four lines you have speed and grit Penalty killers Adams, cooke, sutter, Dupuis and Juicy

What more do you need
Mike61

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:44 am

Mike61 wrote:I think the lines should look like this

Kunitz Juicy Ignila Sid goes in when back healthy
Morrow Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Dupuis
Bennet Adams Kennedy I would drop Kennedy when Sid is healthy and put juicy at center Adams at wing

On all four lines you have speed and grit Penalty killers Adams, cooke, sutter, Dupuis and Juicy

What more do you need

we'll see about morrow. it's very possible that he doesn't have enough in the tank to play there. it's not like ryan malone's only job was to park himself in front of the net when he played with malkin. you need some skill contributions from all 3 guys to have a really effective line. i haven't seen anything from morrow so far that makes me think he can hang on a scoring line, especially since our offense seems to be constructed around the transition game. but of course, it's early...playoff warrior...blah blah.

i like plugging bennett in on the 4th with jokinen and i guess adams (i'm a TK fan, but his circuitry is busted right now). though i'd rather see a bunch of double shifting to minimize adams' even strength time and convert our 4th line into a legitimate threat to do something.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:46 am

Morrow isn't good enough anymore to play on Malkin and Neal's line. He ideally slots as a 3rd liner on a contender...with or without Iginla being added to the team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:05 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Morrow isn't good enough anymore to play on Malkin and Neal's line. He ideally slots as a 3rd liner on a contender...with or without Iginla being added to the team.

Worked pretty good there against the Jest :pop:
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Morrow isn't good enough anymore to play on Malkin and Neal's line. He ideally slots as a 3rd liner on a contender...with or without Iginla being added to the team.

I would rather have Morrow play left wing on Malkin's line than playiing people out of position, or in places that makes them less effective. For example Neal or Iginla playing left wing on the second line, or Cooke playing right wing on the third line.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_srq on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:-Crosby + Malkin love the half boards on PP. Why force one to be less effective rather than split the PP units?

Because it's way better to have the 5 best guys on your team take a 2 min shift and then have a them exhausted and 83% likely to have accomplished nothing. Than to have a good flow with everyone ready to respond to whatever develops after the power play. Even Bowman with Lemieux didn't have him taking 2 min shift. Most of our guys stay out there the full 2 minutes.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:03 am

Best game he has played as a penguins tonight, imo.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:12 am

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:Best game he has played as a penguins tonight, imo.

His speed was adequate and he's playing the corners well. But I have to say, his hands are gone. He can't handle any pass and flubs every shot he takes right now. I think he is fine on that 3rd line and they seem to be gelling well together. I'm hoping he gets a goal soon to help him settle in a little more.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:16 am

You can't really judge either Morrow or Iginla until we get Sid and either Letang or Martin back (and possibly Neal now). They were brought in to be some form of compliment to the team as it was at the time of the deals. Almost immediately, we do not have that team and now they are playing a different role.

The trades were made to fill in cracks in the roster, not canyons.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:45 am

Removing Dupuis from the top 6 would be silly. There is zero reason or justification. He is scoring a ton with Crosby. Why would we "test" anyone else in that spot?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:52 am

I like what Morrow is bringing. Five more hits last night. It's not about him putting up goals and assists, making sweet plays with the puck. He's here to bring a physical element, get in the goalie's face, and lead. He's definitely doing the first two things, I'd assume the third is happening as well. He is going to make an impact in the playoffs Gary Roberts style. Not here to contribute to the offensive powerhouse.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins