Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Postby tfrizz on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:11 am

headh wrote:
Pitts wrote:
headh wrote:
Pitts wrote:
columbia wrote:IO don't agree with the sentiment, but that's hardly trolling.

It's not trolling. It's just flat out wrong.

You may be right but I'd be more interested in your defense than your conclusion. What is your thought process?
Sid has greater discipline and consistency

You answered you own question. There is no doubt that when Sid is healthy and on the ice he is the most consistent player there is. He produces -- every single day. You can't say that about Malkin. All the size and athleticism means nothing if it isn't consistent. Not once do you ever see a thread entitled "Where in the world is Sidney Crosby?".

I simply feel like a thread titled "Where is Malkin? Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin....." is so incredibly insulting to a guy who just won the scoring championship in 2012 and is "down" to averaging "only" over a point per game in 2013 is beyond absurd. What on earth is the motivation to make one player out to be a hero and another out to be slacking malcontent? The title of this thread is a complete joke and there is zero justification for the thought process behind those words....zero

The problem is that most of his production has come on the power play. Malkin has a whopping 3 goals and 9 assist at even strength this season put him at 9th on the team with 12 even strength points and (barely) 5th with 0.48 ES points per game. Neal and Iginla both sit at 0.47 ES points per game; Cooke is 0.42 ES points per game. Ahead of Malkin are Crosby @ 1.08 ES points per game, Kunitz @ 0.84 ES points per game, Letang @ 0.75 ES points per game, and Dupuis at 0.66 ES points per game.

Last season, for comparison, Malkin recorded 75 ES points in 75 games (1.00 ES P/G). Dupuis (0.67) was about the same, Neal (0.64) was significantly better, and Kunitz (0.52) was significantly lower.

I don't think I need to explain why ES production is important. And of course PP production is also very important, but when you're a player of Malkin's calibre and averaging 0.48 ES points per game - you're not producing. He doesn't have to be a point per game at even strength or anything like that, but he should be up in the same area as Kunitz is right now, at the very least.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:19 am

Pitts wrote:
headh wrote:
Pitts wrote:
columbia wrote:IO don't agree with the sentiment, but that's hardly trolling.

It's not trolling. It's just flat out wrong.

You may be right but I'd be more interested in your defense than your conclusion. What is your thought process?
Sid has greater discipline and consistency

You answered you own question. There is no doubt that when Sid is healthy and on the ice he is the most consistent player there is. He produces -- every single day. You can't say that about Malkin. All the size and athleticism means nothing if it isn't consistent. Not once do you ever see a thread entitled "Where in the world is Sidney Crosby?".

I simply feel like a thread titled "Where is Malkin? Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin....." is so incredibly insulting to a guy who just won the scoring championship in 2012 and is "down" to averaging "only" over a point per game in 2013 is beyond absurd. What on earth is the motivation to make one player out to be a hero and another out to be slacking malcontent? The title of this thread is a complete joke and there is zero justification for the thought process behind those words....zero[/quote]

The problem is that most of his production has come on the power play. Malkin has a whopping 3 goals and 9 assist at even strength this season put him at 9th on the team with 12 even strength points and (barely) 5th with 0.48 ES points per game. Neal and Iginla both sit at 0.47 ES points per game; Cooke is 0.42 ES points per game. Ahead of Malkin are Crosby @ 1.08 ES points per game, Kunitz @ 0.84 ES points per game, Letang @ 0.75 ES points per game, and Dupuis at 0.66 ES points per game.

Last season, for comparison, Malkin recorded 75 ES points in 75 games (1.00 ES P/G). Dupuis (0.67) was about the same, Neal (0.64) was significantly better, and Kunitz (0.52) was significantly lower.

I don't think I need to explain why ES production is important. And of course PP production is also very important, but when you're a player of Malkin's calibre and averaging 0.48 ES points per game - you're not producing. He doesn't have to be a point per game at even strength or anything like that, but he should be up in the same area as Kunitz is right now, at the very least.[/quote]

This.

Listen, I don't deny the guy is good, he's got a boatload of talent.....it's just that nobody knows what they're going to get from him. Yeah he had injuries prior to last season, but he was still wildly inconsistent and disappointing. Then he comes back and has a great season last year, only to follow it up this year with a horrible season. Everyone said that he'd be a step ahead of everyone else this year because of his dominance in the KHL, but that quickly changed to an excuse that he was tired because of his games in the KHL.

I still stand by my assessment that he's not very bright and lacks a brain on the ice at times. When he wants to, he can be the BEST player on the planet, that's why he's so frustrating. He can literally be the best player on the planet, or he can look like he's a run of the mill player for lengthy periods. That's way too much of a difference for a player of his caliber.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:22 am

Typical enigmatic Russian
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:22 am

headh wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
headh wrote:
sil wrote:But it took so much effort to get in there!

LOL...I just love me some Geno and hate it when Penguin fans bag on him. It's a great argument to have

Just to make this clear, I'm not bagging on Malkin. I'm shooting down the notion that there is even the slightest shred of evidence to suggest that Malkin is better than Crosby. That's not a bad thing - as the numbers show, not only is Crosby the best of this generation but he ranks as one of the best all time.

as the numbers show, not only are they both in the argument for the best of this generation but they both rank as among the best of all time.

Playoff goals per game (active)
Minimum 20 goals
Alex Ovechkin, 0.588
Martin St. Louis, 0.524
Jarome Iginla, 0.518
Sidney Crosby, 0.485
Evgeni Malkin, 0.471
Henrik Zetterberg, 0.468
Daniel Briere, 0.463
Jaromir Jagr, 0.433
Johan Franzen, 0.432
Daniel Alfredsson, 0.423
Claude Giroux, 0.420
Patrick Marleau, 0.403
Patrick Kane, 0.392
Vincent Lecavalier, 0.381
Teemu Selanne, 0.369

Playoff points per game
Minimum 50 points
Wayne Gretzky, 1.837
Mario Lemieux, 1.607
Barry Pederson, 1.529
Sidney Crosby, 1.324
Mark Messier, 1.250
Bobby Orr, 1.243
Mike Bossy, 1.240
Evgeni Malkin, 1.191
Jari Kurri, 1.165
Alexander Ovechkin, 1.157
Gilbert Perreault, 1.144
Peter Forsberg, 1.132
Peter Stastny, 1.129

You're just further proving my point. Despite the injuries, and despite drawing the top defensive players from every opponent, Crosby has managed to outproduce Malkin in goals per game, assists per game, and points per game in both the regular season and playoffs.

Sources:

Regular Season Goals per Game: #19 - S Crosby (0.506); #40 - E Malkin (0.473)
Regular Season Assists per Game: #4 - S Crosby (0.908); #12 - E Malkin (0.752)
Regular Season Points per Game: #4 - S Crosby (1.415); #11 - E Malkin (1.226)
Playoff Goals per Game: #24 - S Crosby (0.485); T26 - E Malkin (0.471)
Playoff Assists per Game: #5 - S Crosby (0.838); #11 - E Malkin (0.721)
Playoff Points per Game: #4 - S Crosby (1.324); #8 - E Malkin (1.191)
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:26 am

murphydump55 wrote:Listen, I don't deny the guy is good, he's got a boatload of talent.....it's just that nobody knows what they're going to get from him. Yeah he had injuries prior to last season, but he was still wildly inconsistent and disappointing. Then he comes back and has a great season last year, only to follow it up this year with a horrible season. Everyone said that he'd be a step ahead of everyone else this year because of his dominance in the KHL, but that quickly changed to an excuse that he was tired because of his games in the KHL.

I still stand by my assessment that he's not very bright and lacks a brain on the ice at times. When he wants to, he can be the BEST player on the planet, that's why he's so frustrating. He can literally be the best player on the planet, or he can look like he's a run of the mill player for lengthy periods. That's way too much of a difference for a player of his caliber.

:thumb:

Until he starts to bring his best to the ice each and every game, there is no debate to be had. I'd even settle for Malkin showing improvement in his areas of weakness, such as faceoffs, to start things off.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the riddler on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:35 am

I think this whole calling out Malkin thing is a little premature. He's had some bad luck so far this season with injuries, let him get a few more games under him and let's see what happens.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the riddler on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:45 am

Also just for reference, Crosby's salary for the next 9 seasons in order: 12, 12, 12, 10.9, 10.9, 10, 9, 9.6, 9. Counting those years his annual cap hit would be 10.6. They were able to put 3 years on the back end of the contract that brought the cap hit down to 8.7. They don't have that same option to do with Malkin so I'd expect his hit ultimately to be in the 9.5-10.5 range, which is fair.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby beLIEve on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:52 am

Hello. I am a typical pens fan. My analysis of hockey players goes absolutely no further than the score sheet. Thank you. That is all.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:56 am

I see people saying that a lot, and the shorter contract may drive his annual hit up, but that doesn't mean he goes up to $10 million. He doesn't retire at the end of that contract, he signs another one worth the same value.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby America on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:00 pm

murphydump55 wrote:This is the prime reason that I laugh when people say Crosby isn't even the best center on his team. Even when Sid is off, he's still noticeable and does SOME things.

Malkin on the other hand absolutely disappears. It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of him and my friends know that. He has a LOT of talent but generally just seems "dumb" to me and lacks hockey sense. He gets by in a game because of his high talent level masking his low hockey IQ. We've all seen him make some downright horrible decisions on the ice, whether it be a pass, a retaliation, a dumb penalty, or ignoring his teammates and trying to do everything on his down through 5 guys.

Take last night for instance. We were on the PP, Malkin carrying the puck through the neutral zone, coming up to 3 guys at the blueline. He had wingers on both sides that had to slow right down as to not go offside. Geno wasn't coming with speed and Neal figured he would either chip the puck in, or at least turn on the speed. He did neither,instead moving laterally, putting Neal offside, and in the process chipping the puck laterally across the blueline to him. Anyone that plays hockey knows that a lateral move or pass at the blueline is one of the worst things you can do. I just shook my head number one at the lack of entry we have on the PP, and at the stupid decision by Geno.

He's also a pretty big sulk. If he gets hit or checked hard, he loves to stay down on the ice in a pissy mood, while getting up slowly and not husting back into the play.
His passing on the PP has been atrocious and his one timer has zero accuracy. It's just ripped off the glass most times. His faceoffs are an embarrassment and have seen minimal improvement.

I have witnessed a focused Geno, that literally took over about 25 games in a row, or a playoff series that he absolutely owned. He looked like a man playing against boys out there. Everytime he got the puck, you knew something was going to happen. Now, you just hope and pray that he doesn't turn the puck over. He has become the biggest enigma out there. Does he need his mom back?

If you take away last years stats, he has 141 points in his last 135 games and is a -9.

While he's still averaging a point per game, it's much less than we know he's capable of. Sure injuries have played their part, but when you see a guy go out and score 106, 108, 113 points a season, you come to expect more than a point per game pace, and negative plus minus.
In my mind, he's not worth the same money that Sid gets. Only because you never know what you're getting from him, and frankly he can hurt you out there more than he helps you some nights with his sulking, stupid penalties, and retaliatory stuff. Not to mention we've seen him get shut down and rattled by a rookie in Philly. With Sid, you know you're getting that intense backcheck and pick pocketing, the dangerous offensive zone presence, the amazing board and cycle play, and leadership by effort night after night. We've seen Sid improve in all areas that he lacks, such as shot, goalscoring, faceoffs, shootouts, temper, penalties, etc.

I guess to summarize, Malkin needs to find that level of consistency and bring it nightly. He also needs to work to improve the areas of his game that lack. His payday will be pretty easy if he keeps this up.

We need him more than ever RIGHT now, and if he can't find it, then it's going to be a pretty big disappointment from a guy that pulling in the biggest paycheque on the team.

:face:
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby headh on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:01 pm

tfrizz wrote:
headh wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
headh wrote:
sil wrote:But it took so much effort to get in there!

LOL...I just love me some Geno and hate it when Penguin fans bag on him. It's a great argument to have

Just to make this clear, I'm not bagging on Malkin. I'm shooting down the notion that there is even the slightest shred of evidence to suggest that Malkin is better than Crosby. That's not a bad thing - as the numbers show, not only is Crosby the best of this generation but he ranks as one of the best all time.

as the numbers show, not only are they both in the argument for the best of this generation but they both rank as among the best of all time.

Playoff goals per game (active)
Minimum 20 goals
Alex Ovechkin, 0.588
Martin St. Louis, 0.524
Jarome Iginla, 0.518
Sidney Crosby, 0.485
Evgeni Malkin, 0.471
Henrik Zetterberg, 0.468
Daniel Briere, 0.463
Jaromir Jagr, 0.433
Johan Franzen, 0.432
Daniel Alfredsson, 0.423
Claude Giroux, 0.420
Patrick Marleau, 0.403
Patrick Kane, 0.392
Vincent Lecavalier, 0.381
Teemu Selanne, 0.369

Playoff points per game
Minimum 50 points
Wayne Gretzky, 1.837
Mario Lemieux, 1.607
Barry Pederson, 1.529
Sidney Crosby, 1.324
Mark Messier, 1.250
Bobby Orr, 1.243
Mike Bossy, 1.240
Evgeni Malkin, 1.191
Jari Kurri, 1.165
Alexander Ovechkin, 1.157
Gilbert Perreault, 1.144
Peter Forsberg, 1.132
Peter Stastny, 1.129

You're just further proving my point. Despite the injuries, and despite drawing the top defensive players from every opponent, Crosby has managed to outproduce Malkin in goals per game, assists per game, and points per game in both the regular season and playoffs.

Sources:

Regular Season Goals per Game: #19 - S Crosby (0.506); #40 - E Malkin (0.473)
Regular Season Assists per Game: #4 - S Crosby (0.908); #12 - E Malkin (0.752)
Regular Season Points per Game: #4 - S Crosby (1.415); #11 - E Malkin (1.226)
Playoff Goals per Game: #24 - S Crosby (0.485); T26 - E Malkin (0.471)
Playoff Assists per Game: #5 - S Crosby (0.838); #11 - E Malkin (0.721)
Playoff Points per Game: #4 - S Crosby (1.324); #8 - E Malkin (1.191)

I think we are agreeing on the fact that statistically Crosby is more consistent. My point is that one is 4th and the other is 11th ever....of all time....out of the hundreds of thousands of human beings who have ever played they are two of the top 11.......ever
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:10 pm

I love Malkin, but 6 goals is under performing. He's a generational talent who is again having a bad year by his standards.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:11 pm

America wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:This is the prime reason that I laugh when people say Crosby isn't even the best center on his team. Even when Sid is off, he's still noticeable and does SOME things.

Malkin on the other hand absolutely disappears. It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of him and my friends know that. He has a LOT of talent but generally just seems "dumb" to me and lacks hockey sense. He gets by in a game because of his high talent level masking his low hockey IQ. We've all seen him make some downright horrible decisions on the ice, whether it be a pass, a retaliation, a dumb penalty, or ignoring his teammates and trying to do everything on his down through 5 guys.

Take last night for instance. We were on the PP, Malkin carrying the puck through the neutral zone, coming up to 3 guys at the blueline. He had wingers on both sides that had to slow right down as to not go offside. Geno wasn't coming with speed and Neal figured he would either chip the puck in, or at least turn on the speed. He did neither,instead moving laterally, putting Neal offside, and in the process chipping the puck laterally across the blueline to him. Anyone that plays hockey knows that a lateral move or pass at the blueline is one of the worst things you can do. I just shook my head number one at the lack of entry we have on the PP, and at the stupid decision by Geno.

He's also a pretty big sulk. If he gets hit or checked hard, he loves to stay down on the ice in a pissy mood, while getting up slowly and not husting back into the play.
His passing on the PP has been atrocious and his one timer has zero accuracy. It's just ripped off the glass most times. His faceoffs are an embarrassment and have seen minimal improvement.

I have witnessed a focused Geno, that literally took over about 25 games in a row, or a playoff series that he absolutely owned. He looked like a man playing against boys out there. Everytime he got the puck, you knew something was going to happen. Now, you just hope and pray that he doesn't turn the puck over. He has become the biggest enigma out there. Does he need his mom back?

If you take away last years stats, he has 141 points in his last 135 games and is a -9.

While he's still averaging a point per game, it's much less than we know he's capable of. Sure injuries have played their part, but when you see a guy go out and score 106, 108, 113 points a season, you come to expect more than a point per game pace, and negative plus minus.
In my mind, he's not worth the same money that Sid gets. Only because you never know what you're getting from him, and frankly he can hurt you out there more than he helps you some nights with his sulking, stupid penalties, and retaliatory stuff. Not to mention we've seen him get shut down and rattled by a rookie in Philly. With Sid, you know you're getting that intense backcheck and pick pocketing, the dangerous offensive zone presence, the amazing board and cycle play, and leadership by effort night after night. We've seen Sid improve in all areas that he lacks, such as shot, goalscoring, faceoffs, shootouts, temper, penalties, etc.

I guess to summarize, Malkin needs to find that level of consistency and bring it nightly. He also needs to work to improve the areas of his game that lack. His payday will be pretty easy if he keeps this up.

We need him more than ever RIGHT now, and if he can't find it, then it's going to be a pretty big disappointment from a guy that pulling in the biggest paycheque on the team.

:face:

Thanks for your input. :)
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:12 pm

headh wrote:I think we are agreeing on the fact that statistically Crosby is more consistent. My point is that one is 4th and the other is 11th ever....of all time....out of the hundreds of thousands of human beings who have ever played they are two of the top 11.......ever

As I said, I'm not out to discredit the kind of skill Malkin possesses. I don't even dispute his dominance when he goes total beast mode is unmatched. My only point in the argument is that the notion that Malkin is as good as or better than Crosby holds no evidence. That's certainly no knock on Malkin, more a credit to the player that Crosby is and the insane level of consistency he plays with.

Basically, my argument is that Malkin is the Messier to Crosby's Gretzky, or the Jagr to Crosby's Lemieux.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Yeah this thread got hijacked by an argument about Crosby vs Malkin. Crosby vs anyone in the game today is a joke. As for the premise of the thread title, its something I laugh at when i'm bored.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby kypensfan on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:22 pm

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib 3m

RT “@Ken_Laird: @RobRossi_Trib with breaking news on @TribLive_Radio that Geno's parents arrive next week. Debut possible v Montreal 4-17"

He'll be fine...
kypensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby the riddler on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:24 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I see people saying that a lot, and the shorter contract may drive his annual hit up, but that doesn't mean he goes up to $10 million. He doesn't retire at the end of that contract, he signs another one worth the same value.

Look at Iginla right now, I don't think he'll make the same amount(7) next year. It obviously depends on how good Malkin is at the end of his contract. But he has to get fair value right now given the new rules. He has to make more than guys like Getzlaf and Perry and their hit is in the 8.2-8.6 range. Maybe it isn't that much higher than 8.7 and is something like 9 years, $81 million.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Can't be 9 years, but I agree.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:29 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah this thread got hijacked by an argument about Crosby vs Malkin. Crosby vs anyone in the game today is a joke. As for the premise of the thread title, its something I laugh at when i'm bored.

It did, and I apologize for my part in it.

Back on topic, it's not unrealistic to call Malkin out. Yes, he's got to adjust to a new linemate again... but he still needs to raise his level of play.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the riddler on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Can't be 9 years, but I agree.

Yea, I don't know why I keep thinking the max length is 9.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:33 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah this thread got hijacked by an argument about Crosby vs Malkin. Crosby vs anyone in the game today is a joke. As for the premise of the thread title, its something I laugh at when i'm bored.

It did, and I apologize for my part in it.

Back on topic, it's not unrealistic to call Malkin out. Yes, he's got to adjust to a new linemate again... but he still needs to raise his level of play.

It was off the rails before you got here :pop: Bioshock farnham and myself are the culprits, I'd say. Kovy didn't help. Not that this thread was destined for anything but some sarcasm and/or a separate derail anyway.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:33 pm

This entire thread is nothing new. Everyone should know Malkin is inconsistent. Everyone should know he disappears for games at a time. When it's playoff time, he brings it. Plain and simple.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:51 pm

meow wrote:This entire thread is nothing new. Everyone should know Malkin is inconsistent. Everyone should know he disappears for games at a time. When it's playoff time, he brings it. Plain and simple.

I hope you're right, and if his parents are really on their way, then it might be the best thing to happen to him all season. I can only hope he goes on that same tear as last time.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:52 pm

You sir are the winner of THE WORST POST IN LETSGOPENS.COM HISTORY! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:55 pm

I only skimmed it, but I can pretty safely assure you that it doesn't even register among the worst posts in LGP history.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins