Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:09 pm

11th All-Time in PPG. Yes, we've been spoiled.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Desiato on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:47 pm

There has definitely been cause for concern about Geno's play for a lot of the season. My theory is that he had too much fun basically doing whatever he wanted in Russia and lost a bit of focus, discipline and NHL sensibility.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:58 pm

Not worried about Malkin.

That being said, he's having a really sub-par season and the physicality of the NHL has really been a roadblock this year for him. You can shutdown Malkin right now if you simply impede him. Can't do that to Crosby.

Also, it really begs the question, can you justifiably pay Malkin more than 8.7 million when he isn't nearly on the same level as Crosby?

Crosby is better at faceoffs, is far more consistent and has been better at even strength this year. Also, Crosby does so much more than just play hockey for the Pens. I know Crosby took a huge discount but the value of Malkin as a hockey player, IMO, shouldn't exceed Crosby's total contribution to the franchise in terms of a cap hit.

Just my two cents.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:52 pm

Bioshock wrote:Not worried about Malkin.

That being said, he's having a really sub-par season and the physicality of the NHL has really been a roadblock this year for him. You can shutdown Malkin right now if you simply impede him. Can't do that to Crosby.

Also, it really begs the question, can you justifiably pay Malkin more than 8.7 million when he isn't nearly on the same level as Crosby?

Crosby is better at faceoffs, is far more consistent and has been better at even strength this year. Also, Crosby does so much more than just play hockey for the Pens. I know Crosby took a huge discount but the value of Malkin as a hockey player, IMO, shouldn't exceed Crosby's total contribution to the franchise in terms of a cap hit.

Just my two cents.

Malkin has been at Crosby's level plenty in his career, and at times he's been even better than Sid. You can't just base everything off this season.

Malkin's career numbers are close to Sid's.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby taz71 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:42 am

Malkin has not been healthy and he has played with like 7 different wingers
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby headh on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:59 am

Just my two cents.

he has 27 points in 25 games. if that's subpar it's only because he set the bar so high. he may be the best player in the game today.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:08 am

DocEmrick wrote:HES NOT EVEN THE BESTEST PLAYER ON HIS TEAM

HE CANT BE CAPTIN NOW SINCE EGINLAH IS HEAR AND TEH SIDZ IS A ROBOT! AND MARRO!

:scared:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:16 am

farnham16 wrote:

Just my two cents.

Malkin has been at Crosby's level plenty in his career, and at times he's been even better than Sid. You can't just base everything off this season.

If you base it off of their careers, its not close. Not if you use counting numbers or averages.

470 games, 238 goals, 427 assists, 665 points
vs
452 games, 214 goals, 340 assists, 554 points

or

.51 gpg, .91 apg, 1.41 ppg
vs
.47 gpg, .75 apg, 1.23 ppg

thats 14-15 points per 82 game season. :pop:

Regardless, Malkin really needs to up his play. With or without Crosby in the lineup. And none of this has anything to do with what Malkin should cost. Keep him, he's worth more than the max, so no salary demand is too high.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby headh on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:21 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

Just my two cents.

If you base it off of their careers, its not close. Not if you use counting numbers or averages.

vs

or

vs

Regardless, Malkin really needs to up his play. With or without Crosby in the lineup.

Or you could compare numbers in the playoffs. When it really matters.

Sid 90 points in 68 games

Geno 81 points in 68 games

They are nearly identically productive when it matters most. Obviously only one of them won the Conn Smythe
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:23 am

Wait, thats nearly identical? Its a nearly identical difference in production, i'll give you that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby headh on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:35 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Wait, thats nearly identical? Its a nearly identical difference in production, i'll give you that.

Sid has 33 goals in the post season and Geno has 32

Geno has one playoff MVP and Sid has a goose egg
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:37 am

headh wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Wait, thats nearly identical? Its a nearly identical difference in production, i'll give you that.

If it wasn't for the Carolina series...I'm not so sure that Geno gets the MVP award.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:43 am

Kovy27 wrote:
headh wrote:

If it wasn't for the Carolina series...I'm not so sure that Geno gets the MVP award.

I don't know if its a great argument, but i'm pretty sure you could have taken both Crosby and Malkin out of that series and the Pens still win it 4-1 or so. I'd guess Malkin won that MVP on a coin toss. I'm not here to take anything away from Malkin, just pointing out that saying that their production is nearly identical is patently false.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:46 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
headh wrote:

I don't know if its a great argument, but i'm pretty sure you could have taken both Crosby and Malkin out of that series and the Pens still win it 4-1 or so. I'd guess Malkin won that MVP on a coin toss. I'm not here to take anything away from Malkin, just pointing out that saying that their production is nearly identical is patently false.

Yeah, the deciding factor was most likely Babcock focusing his shutdown guys on Crosby. That limited his production in the SCF and gave Malkin an easier match-up.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby headh on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:52 am

tfrizz wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
headh wrote:

Yeah, the deciding factor was most likely Babcock focusing his shutdown guys on Crosby. That limited his production in the SCF and gave Malkin an easier match-up.

The deciding factor is that when Geno and Sid are both playing their best Geno is better. I think it's because he's bigger and more dominant physically.

Sid is simply more tenacious and consistent with his effort.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MarioLives on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:04 am

Mark Madden was hilarious discussing Malkin yesterday. I was laughing so hard. He did make a good point, that I will try my best to summarize. He basically said that with Crosby you get a player who plays goal line to goal line, wins faceoffs, kills penalties, is the face of the franchise and the league.....so when he is not scoring, you still notice him and respect his value. With Malkin you get a guy who does not kill penalties, not very good at face offs, does not play goal line to goal line, cant speak English and looks disinterested a lot. So when he is not scoring goals, he is not worth the 8.7 million.

Hard to argue with that....I love Malkin, but anyone with an unbiased look can see that he is not playing well this year. Regardless of the points, he just looks like he does not want to be out there. And he seems to get a free pass from managment. Malkin has 6 goals people......6
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby roland on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:11 am

MarioLives wrote: Malkin has 6 goals people......6

James Neal has 18 goals.....18. Malkin needs to pass less, shoot more, shoot everything. Problem solved. $
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:13 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

Just my two cents.

vs

or

vs

Regardless, Malkin really needs to up his play. With or without Crosby in the lineup. And none of this has anything to do with what Malkin should cost. Keep him, he's worth more than the max, so no salary demand is too high.

Actually, when they are at their best respectively, Sid still comes out on top, even purely from a production standpoint. Crosby's best season is 120 points while Geno's is 113.

I mean... it's overwhelmingly in favor of Sid here dude... Yeah, Geno is a clear number 2 in the NHL but the gap is rather large. Even in the argument that Geno won the Conn Smythe and that is when, "It matters most" Geno only outscored Crosby by 5 points.

I'm not trying to tear down Geno. I'm just saying that it's hard to justify paying him more when AT BEST he's Crosby's equal every couple of years and most of the time he's rather inconsistent. Then you add in all the intangibles Crosby brings and it's not even a contest anymore.

All that being said, i sure hope they sign him. Pens need him. BADLY.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby headh on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:14 am

MarioLives wrote:Mark Madden was hilarious discussing Malkin yesterday. I was laughing so hard. He did make a good point, that I will try my best to summarize. He basically said that with Crosby you get a player who plays goal line to goal line, wins faceoffs, kills penalties, is the face of the franchise and the league.....so when he is not scoring, you still notice him and respect his value. With Malkin you get a guy who does not kill penalties, not very good at face offs, does not play goal line to goal line, cant speak English and looks disinterested a lot. So when he is not scoring goals, he is not worth the 8.7 million.

Hard to argue with that....I love Malkin, but anyone with an unbiased look can see that he is not playing well this year. Regardless of the points, he just looks like he does not want to be out there. And he seems to get a free pass from managment. Malkin has 6 goals people......6

He has missed 13 games. What exactly should management say about him averaging over a point per game while playing hurt and part time?

They SHOULD just say "thank you!"
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby headh on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:17 am

Bioshock wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

Just my two cents.

vs

or

vs

Actually, when they are at their best respectively, Sid still comes out on top, even purely from a production standpoint. Crosby's best season is 120 points while Geno's is 113.

I mean... it's overwhelmingly in favor of Sid here dude... Yeah, Geno is a clear number 2 in the NHL but the gap is rather large. Even in the argument that Geno won the Conn Smythe and that is when, "It matters most" Geno only outscored Crosby by 5 points.

I'm not trying to tear down Geno. I'm just saying that it's hard to justify paying him more when AT BEST he's Crosby's equal every couple of years and most of the time he's rather inconsistent. Then you add in all the intangibles Crosby brings and it's not even a contest anymore.

All that being said, i sure hope they sign him. Pens need him. BADLY.

So Crosby outscoring Geno by 7 points in a longer regular season is "overwhelmingly"

But Geno outscoring Sid in a shorter playoff run by 5 is "only"

lol....I can clearly see your fair impartial analysis coming to the forefront
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:21 am

headh wrote:So Crosby outscoring Geno by 7 points in a longer regular season is "overwhelmingly"

How about Crosby outscoring Malkin by 5 in an even shorter playoff the year before when a couple of extra points could have been the difference between losing(which is what happened) and winning? Just stop.

headh wrote:The deciding factor is that when Geno and Sid are both playing their best Geno is better.

Oh ok, you're trolling. I'm not one to ruin that, carry on.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:24 am

LGP is the only place where a PPG pace is considered "lazy" and there is quibbling over who is the best generational talent on our team.

36-84-120.
35-78-113.

Crosby and Malkin's best seasons. We are literally spoiled rotten as a fanbase.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:24 am

No, overwhelmingly is the career stats. I was pointing out the absolute top end numbers.
And as for saying thank you, yeah, the Pens should. They should by writing a check for 69.6 million this summer.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby headh on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
headh wrote:The deciding factor is that when Geno and Sid are both playing their best Geno is better.

LOL....anyone defending a PENGUIN on a penguin message board must be a troll :face:

wth are you trying to say?
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bioshock on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
headh wrote:So Crosby outscoring Geno by 7 points in a longer regular season is "overwhelmingly"

How about Crosby outscoring Malkin by 5 in an even shorter playoff the year before when a couple of extra points could have been the difference between losing(which is what happened) and winning? Just stop.

Yeah, it was apparent a few posts ago. Not very tactful unfortunately.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins