The PK has a thermometer.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The PK has a thermometer.

Postby Jesse on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:11 pm

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/1pittsbur ... re-edition

There's one key trait that defines the "good" penalty kill from the "bad" penalty kill.

The bottom line: if the forwards don't keep the gap at the point, they get eaten alive. This PK lives and dies by pressure. Not rocket science, right? But take a look at what happens to Cooke/Glass last night on the PK, and Adams/Sutter as well, when they don't pressure on the point.

I've watched tape on this PK all year, we've broken it down on FF. Look at Boston, and New York last night. This team lives and dies by forward momentum and anticipation on the penalty kill. If they aren't doing their job, the goaltender gets sacrificed.

Here's the good news: we know this teaa is better than the effort they've given on the last two occasions.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: The PK has a thermometer.

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:19 pm

"if the forwards don't keep the gap at the point, they get eaten alive": i'm not much of a hockey nerd, but speed seems to be the best way to close gaps. with that in mind, take a look at our PK forwards:

adams
sutter
cooke
glass

not even a little bit fast. staal wasn't the quickest guy on the ice, but dude covered some serious territory. this crew just can't take up any space.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Where exactly is the temperature being taken from? ;)

Nice analysis Jesse, definitely hit the nail on the head in a few of the goals.

Pens D were not moving their feet as much as usual (missing top two D men was felt). Pens did many of the tough things right (willing to take hits to make plays), but got killed on the "easy" stuff and lack of hustle.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Penspal wrote:Where exactly is the temperature being taken from? ;)

Pens D were not moving their feet as much as usual (missing top two D men was felt). Pens did many of the tough things right (willing to take hits to make plays), but got killed on the "easy" stuff and lack of hustle.

Haha, the temperature is given from the gap at the top of the ice! :)
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:25 pm

shmenguin wrote:"if the forwards don't keep the gap at the point, they get eaten alive": i'm not much of a hockey nerd, but speed seems to be the best way to close gaps. with that in mind, take a look at our PK forwards:

adams
sutter
cooke
glass

not even a little bit fast. staal wasn't the quickest guy on the ice, but dude covered some serious territory. this crew just can't take up any space.

Speed is definitely key, but it's more about aggressiveness to me. If you close that gap up top, you take the shot away and force the puck somewhere else. It's about reading the play. The aforementioned guys aren't speedsters, but they're the same guys that have gotten the job done earlier this year.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks for the analysis, Jesse. Always appreciate action being broken down. Video is a great tool for learning the game.

I just want to put this here and then back away slowly.

Fleury and Vokoun each have .930 save percentages at even strength this year (tied for 10th in the NHL).

Vokoun's save pct. when we're shorthanded is .859 and Fleury's is .852. 29th and 32nd, respectively. The Pens are 19th on the PK.

I don't know what to do with those numbers. But maybe someone wants to know them...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:51 pm

THEY BOTH SUCK

:pop:

Great analysis, though.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:56 pm

mikey287 wrote:Thanks for the analysis, Jesse. Always appreciate action being broken down. Video is a great tool for learning the game.

I just want to put this here and then back away slowly.

Fleury and Vokoun each have .930 save percentages at even strength this year (tied for 10th in the NHL).

Vokoun's save pct. when we're shorthanded is .859 and Fleury's is .852. 29th and 32nd, respectively. The Pens are 19th on the PK.

I don't know what to do with those numbers. But maybe someone wants to know them...

Well, it essentially eliminates any notion that goaltending has been a problem. In terms of statistics, EVSV% may be the best indicator of a goaltender's play. They spend the majority of their time at even strength, and it factors out extremes created by power play and penalty kill situations.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Nizzy on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:03 pm

After this season I fully expect Vitale to replace everything Adams does. PK stuff included.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:25 pm

Nizzy wrote:After this season I fully expect Vitale to replace everything Adams does. PK stuff included.

Sooner the better Imo.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Penspal wrote:Where exactly is the temperature being taken from? ;)

My first thought was I had better see the word "rectal." Disappoint.

Illuminating analysis, Jesse. I learn much from your posts.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BfromD on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Great stuff. Thanks for posting.
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bwatt22 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm going to have to agree, the appropriate pressure up top comming from the right direction cutting off cross ice passing lanes is what has made or, more often, not made our PK effective. Active sticks and keeping the play to the same sidewall has been effective for the pens in controlling and closing off options allowing for hard work on the walls to get a lot of our clears. You don't need fast players to control the play this way, just have to have good body and stick positioning -- if you watch the plays end up making themselves if we do the right things on the PK when closing on the point. If we can keep a team from going east west and making our PK rotate we've done well in forcing play into our hands.
bwatt22

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins