Possible matchup in the playoffs

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Possible matchup in the playoffs

Postby danish_penguin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:40 pm

With just 10 games remaining of the regular season, it's time to look at a possible matchup for the Penguins in the first round of the playoffs. Which teams do we want to play against and which team do we not want to play.

The Penguins are 17 point ahead of New Jersey, Rangers, Islanders so we will finish 1st or 2nd. Possible match ups are NY Rangers, New Jersey, NY Islanders, Washington and Philadelphia. Their records are from .542 to .486.

Rangers seem strong after the addition of Ryane Clowe, Derek Dorsett, John Moore, Derick Brassard. They er 3-3-0 in their last six games and have won the last games.

The Devils acquired Steve Sullivan at the deadline, but they have lost their last four games. And this season Brodeur is not the old Brodeur.

The Islanders are pretty hot right now with five wins in six games. But they have not traded for any playes since Tim Thomas. And they have only been in the playoffs four times since 1995.

Ovechkin has found his old I and the Caps are 5-2-0 in the last seven games, but they are three point behind the two New Yrk teams and They got Martin Erat from Nashville, but didn't get a veteran goalie.

The Flyers are 3-1-2 in six games, but have won three in a row. With four point up to the Rangers and the Islanders, their chances for a plyoff spot are small though. Only new player is Steve Mason but can he push Bryzgalov to perform?

So it looks like a division rival in the first round and I would prefer to avoid the Rangers and think that chances are best against the Devils. Goaltending and special teams are important ind the playoffs, to areas, where the Devils are weak.

Who do you want the Pens to play against?
danish_penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Possible matchup in the playoffs

Postby Beveridge on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:22 pm

I want the Pens to play a playoff team because that means we're in the playoffs. Beyond that, doesn't matter. Got to beat good teams to win it.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:59 pm

Beveridge wrote:I want the Pens to play a playoff team because that means we're in the playoffs. Beyond that, doesn't matter. Got to beat good teams to win it.

Things could have gone much differently last year if we'd of avoided Philly. So yes, matchups do matter.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:00 pm

I'm not sure if I'm ready to think about the playoffs yet. I just want the Penguins to play well and be reasonably healthy.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BfromD on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:33 pm

^
Un-taste The Rainbow?
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:36 pm

danish_penguin wrote:

A Western Conference team, I don't care which.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:59 pm

Gaucho wrote:
danish_penguin wrote:

A Western Conference team, I don't care which.

:fist: You know it.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_srq on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:27 pm

Is it evil for me to want them to lose or at least give up a point tomorrow so the Flyers are further out of a playoff spot?
if Pens win, they are helping ensure that they play the flyers or the rangers if they keep losing they could play ottawa, toronto, ny islanders, or Boston.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:41 pm

anyone but the rangers. king henrick has the abililty to steal a playoff series on his own and the rangers are a very tough team to play against.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The U on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:50 pm

Want to avoid Philly. They bring out the worst in us and are in Fleury's head. We also can't stop their PP.

A series vs them would take a lot out of us physically.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:55 pm

I was looking at the standings tonight. The Capitals are the 3rd seed with 38 points, the Devils are the 9th seed with 39 points.

Really bad standings fail.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:26 am

Dont want to play the caps....no thank you.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PhantomJB93 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:38 am

Really don't want to play Washington or New Jersey. I have a bad feeling matching up with those two. Devils always play us tough and even though we swept Washington, I would hate to play them now that they're having a late-season surge and I know they would love nothing more than to upset us in the first round. They'd come to play and I'm not sure we wouldn't look past them and get caught off-gaurd.

I can't say I would like to play Philly but I would love to get revenge for last year, hopefully we could keep our cool this time and just beat them. Rangers, with the exception of last night, we seem to have their number lately and are probably who I'm hoping to face. I'm confident we could beat the Islanders but bad things happen when we play them so I'm not eager about that matchup either.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby k0la on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:20 am

Neither of our division rivals would be an easy 4-0 sweep. But I think Pens will be able to beat any of them in 6, maybe with the exception of Rangers that could go to 7. Washington is the matchup I would prefer
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shakes on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:43 am

So as long as the Pens avoid the Devils, Flyers, Capitals, Rangers, and Isles, they should be good.

:fist:
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:02 am

Only teams we won't be playing are the Bruins and Habs as they will finish 2 or 4.

And it doesn't matter who we play, provided the roster is healthy we steam roll anyone or at least should.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:48 am

Winnipeg is also a potential first round matchup. Would be tough to travel to that arena for the first playoff game in a dog's age.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby owtahear on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:52 am

The Rangers just because of the aforementioned King Henry's ability to steal a few games.

I think with the recent acquisitions we are much better set up to play the Phlyers now. The Caps? Unless MAF pulls a 2012, Holtby would melt down against us. Isles? Bring them on. Devils? I would be fine with that also.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:32 am

sil wrote:Winnipeg is also a potential first round matchup. Would be tough to travel to that arena for the first playoff game in a dog's age.

Maybe. They are mediocre at best when playing at home. The Pens don't struggle on the road.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:04 am

From http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern.html breakdown of teams we are most likely to see in the 1st round.
Seems like we are very likely (about 75%) to end up with a division rival as first round matchup.
If you dig a little further in to the Pens numbers, the more we win in our last 10 games, the more likely we are to face the Islanders. The more we lose, the more likely we are to end up with the Rangers.

Pittsburgh
Montreal 0.0
Boston 0.0
Ottawa 5.6
Toronto 8.4
NY Rangers 27.3
Washington 3.0
NY Islanders 20.6
New Jersey 15.3
Tampa Bay 2.8
Philadelphia 11.8
Winnipeg 2.5
Carolina 1.3
Buffalo 1.5
Florida 0.0
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:05 am

Apparently using our new math, the likelihood of the Pens playing the Rangers or Islanders is virtually identical.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:12 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Apparently using our new math, the likelihood of the Pens playing the Rangers or Islanders is virtually identical.

All I could think of when reading this post.

Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:16 am

I want....

1st round: Flyers (2v7) - although I will take the Rangers since it seems unlikely the Flyers make it into the 7 spot
2nd round: Capitals (2v3) and leaves Bruins-Canadiens as the other potential matchup
ECF: Bruins (1v2)
SCF: Blackhawks

Now that would be a fun ride.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:21 am

It's weird. The Pens will not finish worse than 2nd in the conference. Every time we beat a team like the Rangers, we are helping Philly worm their way into contention. I cannot tolerate Flyer fever down here this year. I want the Pens to beat the Rangers because I hate the Rangers, but I simultaneously want the Rangers to keep winning so Philly doesn't get in.

I wouldn't mind a shootout loss :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:29 am

With this lineup stacked, I have to have full confidence in them taking down ANYONE in the East.

I'll go with that. BRING IT EAST!
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins