Should The Penguins Forfeit Now?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Should The Penguins Forfeit Now?

Postby Defence21 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 pm

I hate to do this, and mods, please delete if you deem necessary...

The amount of doom and gloom, nitpicking, and impatience among Penguin fans right now is unreal. Win 15, lose two, and you'd swear it was the other way around.

News flash: it's next to impossible for a team to win every game because, believe it or not, they play against competitive, professional teams.

I stayed away from LGP yesterday and come back today to see people ripping Glass in a thread that shows what a class act he really is. I see a thread dedicated to ripping Malkin and asking him to show up. I see a thread about how Morrow is too slow for the third line, too dirty for the second line, and not impersonating Bill Guerin enough (even though the two never were the same type of player in the first place).

Iginla only has one goal? Fleury has cloned last year's version of himself? Jokinen hasn't won a faceoff yet?

Here's a tip that everyone can do with what they please: watch and enjoy. We may never again see a team in Pittsburgh (or the NHL, for that matter) with this much talent. They won't win every game. They might not even look great or good in every game. But that's why there is a long (even in this year's condensed format) regular season. All of the good that led to the win streak didn't disappear. There are problems that need fixed. What team is perfect? None. What team is as talented and fun to watch as this one? None. So enjoy it and stop complaining, because it won't last long!

Hate away...
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Should The Penguins Forfeit Now?

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:43 pm

You must be new here.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:49 pm

We are very fortunate as fans to have the team that we have.

I'm not going to do any raging or exploding unless the Pens have yet another early playoff exit. Then it's go time.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BfromD on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Do what I do after a loss, or string of losses: Avoid opening threads for 24-48 hours and instead spend that time and energy clicking like mad on banner ads in hopes that doing so drives the flow of fresh bananas to Admin's cage.
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:52 pm

:thumb:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby silentom on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Been a member since 2008, and for near 4 years, I mainly just read. Only started posting with more consistency in the last year or so. But, sometimes, this place is unbearable, and I don't even read some topics with a ten foot pole.

The boys'll get it in gear.
silentom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:02 pm

The complaining about the others complaining is actually more funny.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jwest21 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:10 pm

fans ***** and moan....it's just the nature of the beast
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Try being a hardcore Pitt football fan and talk to me about ******** and moaning and having your heart ripped out.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:14 pm

She'sTheFastest wrote:Try being a hardcore Pitt football fan and talk to me about ******** and moaning and having your heart ripped out.

There's a difference:

The Penguins win.

The Panthers don't.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:15 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
She'sTheFastest wrote:Try being a hardcore Pitt football fan and talk to me about ******** and moaning and having your heart ripped out.

There's a difference:

The Penguins win.

The Panthers don't.

So you see my problem.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:42 pm

While I don't agree with the opinions you reference, I don't see a problem posting them. That's what a discussion forum is for.

Would be pretty boring if we all just posted about how much we're appreciating how lucky we are to be Pens fans...

What I don't like are the posts that don't actually add anything to a discussion. Like a personal insult or emoticon.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:04 pm

The GDTs are what I'm finding less appealing. While the "juju laws" from seasons past were a bit corny, they did make the threads more plesant and I thought the games were more fun to watch (which if you think about it, might be a part of why all of us watch hockey). The other threads I think are fair game. I don't agree with the majority of the posts after losses, but they make for some decent discussion 70% of the time.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby rgj on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:45 pm

Should the Pens forfeit now?

Of course not. The tradition is to forfeit in the first round of the playoffs........
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Willie Kool on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:43 pm

Desiato wrote:While I don't agree with the opinions you reference, I don't see a problem posting them. That's what a discussion forum is for.

Would be pretty boring if we all just posted about how much we're appreciating how lucky we are to be Pens fans...

What I don't like are the posts that don't actually add anything to a discussion. Like a personal insult or emoticon.

Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Desiato on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:51 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
Desiato wrote:While I don't agree with the opinions you reference, I don't see a problem posting them. That's what a discussion forum is for.

Jerk!
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby booboo on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:28 am

jwest21 wrote:fans ***** and moan....it's just the nature of the beast

Yeah, OP, shut up and enjoy while it lasts!

Before we all shut up.

Time to appreciate all the moaning talent we have here too :-)
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RPKJr429 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:40 am

My favorite quote from pens/caps 24/7:

"Those who know the sport best will tell you hockey has a certain rhythm to it. Every shift, every game, and every season is inevitably packed with ebs and flows. Teams are never as bad as they appear during their lowest points and never as good as they seem during their highest ones. The very best clubs, then, must be not just talented, but resilient. Not just hungry, but focused. Their sport demands it."

It applied then and it certainly applies now. Let's hope the new guys bring the hunger and returning injured bring back the focus.
RPKJr429
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:22 am

Malkin needs to get back to form, if he wants a K. Da $10M contract this summer.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:25 am

Agreed.

pop
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:32 am

One response from me and I'll leave it there...

Everyone is entitled to do as they please. Call me crazy, but I don't see how complaining about everything makes something enjoyable.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:09 am

Season tickets. Section 148.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:24 am

oh so your saying the Pens wont win all their games? Gee wiz i didnt know that i thought they would go undefated every season...

We may never again see a team in Pittsburgh (or the NHL, for that matter) with this much talent.

do you not understand this is one of the biggest reasons people complain?????? Thats the problem, this team is SO talented and we are lucky to have Crosby and Malkin on the same team together and now we have a HoFer in Iginila. I dont need to name the rest of the good players but we may never see a group like this ever again. We want to win NOW while we have the talent and because there is so much talent they should be held to a HIGH standard. I dont care about losing some games but the last 2 were blowouts and very concerning. Am i giving up because of them? NO. But there isnt many games left so the Pens better figure out how to fit in the new players fast.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:29 am

- Anonymous posters on internet forums will vent to a degree they might not match in an in person discussion with "strangers".

- Posts after real life issues tend to be negative, been there myself.

- Some people believe in a fact based approach to hockey discussion, others do not.

- Some people see a well written constructed post as a wall of text (speaks to the change in North American attention spans)

- The media (MM as a Pittsburgh example) know that negative attack commentary in media is well read/listened. It has an impact on how people think and react

- Fans come in all degrees. Some are fanatics, others are not, but hey... are all here.

- If a post breaks the board rules, click that little exclamation point beside the quote button. Everyone can help make this place livable.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:13 pm

Penspal wrote:- Anonymous posters on internet forums will vent to a degree they might not match in an in person discussion with "strangers".

- Posts after real life issues tend to be negative, been there myself.

- Some people believe in a fact based approach to hockey discussion, others do not.

- Some people see a well written constructed post as a wall of text (speaks to the change in North American attention spans)

- The media (MM as a Pittsburgh example) know that negative attack commentary in media is well read/listened. It has an impact on how people think and react

- Fans come in all degrees. Some are fanatics, others are not, but hey... are all here.

- If a post breaks the board rules, click that little exclamation point beside the quote button. Everyone can help make this place livable.

thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins