Chemistry and line combinations

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Correct me if I am wrong please, but I think when Jokinen had his 30 goal season in Carolina, he was playing LW and his C was Sutter. Something to keep in mind.
Last edited by FallenHero96 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GenoMachino71 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:37 pm

I think the line combos that make the most sense are:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Jokinen
Cooke-Adams-Kennedy

add to that, the pens have crazy versatility available....

if Bylsma wants to run Geno/Sid out together at times, they can roll with...

Crosby/Malkin and any of Neal/Iginla/Kunitz
Sutter with 2 of Neal/Iginla/Kunitz

then have a 3rd line at times of Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis (which has really click)

they also have the ability to keep Cooke/Kennedy together on the 4th line, 2/3 of our 3rd line over the past 5 years, and rotate guys like Crosby, Malkin, Sutter, and Jokinen between them, which would also be fantastic

bottom line is, if this team ever gets 100%, they are crazy deep and talented
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:16 pm

I generally havent agreed with Adams having his name etched in stone in our lineup. These days, I REALLY don't agree. In the past, you could point to our PK as evidence of his value. Not so much this year or even at the end of last year. Glass isn't a world beater either, but we're starting to see his physical game dominate Adams'. Once we're healthy, I just can't find any good reason for him to be in the lineup.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby taz71 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:15 pm

I would like to see Dupuis with Malkin he is such an energetic winger and seems to complement any line. I know he can play both wings but does he play that much better on the RW. Only reason not to make this change is if Iggy and G develop some chemistry
Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla/Dupuis
Dupuis/Jokinen-Malkin-Neal/Iggy here bumps Neal to LW
3rd line is tough need a shooter to complement Morrow going to the net. That is where i could see Dupuis moving down to the 3rd line replaced by Jokinen taking faceoffs for Geno. Maybe try Bennett there he scored a nice goal coming down the right against the rangers.
Morrow/Jokinen-Sutter-Bennett/Dupuis/(almost certain Coach's pet will stay in top 9)
Cooke-Adams-Kennedy/

Orpik-Markin and Niskanen-Murray seem to be some of the best pairings this season. Letang can play with anyone would like to see him play a few games down the stretch with Despres obviously Eaton will get the nod in the playoffs but Letang Murray would be interesting at times to give his pairing some physical presence.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Inkio on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:38 am

I'm 99% sure that this is what HCDB will do.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Jokenin-Adams
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:07 am

GenoMachino71 wrote:I think the line combos that make the most sense are:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Jokinen
Cooke-Adams-Kennedy

add to that, the pens have crazy versatility available....

if Bylsma wants to run Geno/Sid out together at times, they can roll with...

Crosby/Malkin and any of Neal/Iginla/Kunitz
Sutter with 2 of Neal/Iginla/Kunitz

then have a 3rd line at times of Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis (which has really click)

they also have the ability to keep Cooke/Kennedy together on the 4th line, 2/3 of our 3rd line over the past 5 years, and rotate guys like Crosby, Malkin, Sutter, and Jokinen between them, which would also be fantastic

bottom line is, if this team ever gets 100%, they are crazy deep and talented

Agreed. I like those lines a lot...plenty of depth and balance.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens15 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:12 am

Does it make any difference whether Jussi is slotted at Center or Wing? I know he's proficient at both, but you definitely don't want to lose the face-off ability.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby joopen on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:45 am

Inkio wrote:I'm 99% sure that this is what HCDB will do.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Jokenin-Adams

Well the 1% is pretty likely w/o Morrow in the lineup.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Inkio on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:52 am

joopen wrote:
Inkio wrote:I'm 99% sure that this is what HCDB will do.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Jokenin-Adams

Well the 1% is pretty likely w/o Morrow in the lineup.

Woops!

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Kennedy
Cooke-Jokenin-Adams
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Pens15 wrote:Does it make any difference whether Jussi is slotted at Center or Wing? I know he's proficient at both, but you definitely don't want to lose the face-off ability.

If Bylsma puts Jokinen on the 4th line, I hope he'll at least consider giving him shifts on Malkin's wing from time to time. For one, he's earned the additional ice time. He's got enough skill to play with them, and he can take faceoffs in place of Malkin.

You don't bump Kunitz, Dupuis, Iginla, or Neal out of the top 6 for him, but you can certainly give him some shifts up there - especially if Malkin's line is out for a key faceoff.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:18 pm

I am in the very small minority but I think there's a really tough decision to be made when you're filling the last couple spots of the lineup. I really don't want them to have to sit either Glass or Adams. I'm not jumping on the vastly pervasive thinking that they're useless. Those guys bring an effective grit and toughness that they'll need to have a truly balanced lineup for the playoffs. Adams may be old, he may not always be effective, but he's the type of guy that will do anything he has to do to win. He's the guy who will sacrifice his body on a make or break 5-on-3 kill. He still brings that to the team. Glass is their most prolific hitter and contrary to popular opinion of Pens fans he dishes out solid hits.

On the other hand, I really like what Kennedy brings as a fourth liner. He's certainly having a disappointing season and he's already priced himself off the team next season. Right now, though, he's a great luxury to have. He brings some legit offensive spark to the line but can still hit a little and grind like you want your fourth line to be. I think Jokinen has pretty much cemented himself in the lineup with his versatility and production.

Someone will have to sit. Realistically, injuries are going to make it a moot point. But if they ever are healthy I'd have a tough time deciding who to sit. I guess it could be very match-up dependent. It really irks me to see someone a suggesting of something like Bennett-Jokinen-Kennedy as a fourth line, though. The team has to have an identity besides being good offensively. None of those guys really deserve to sit but I like what Adams and Glass bring to balance things out.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:38 pm

Adams will be in this lineup no matter what. I've actually been impressed with his ability to bring it still this season, whenever the intensity in a game is up. You need that in the playoffs. Glass on the other hand does not add much to this team. He's not a liability, he racks up hits, but his additions are not the kind of energy injection you'd hope for. He'd be my first option to sit.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Adams' schtik of doing the little things that it takes to win went out the window last spring. He played a very dumb series against Philly. Not just his participation in the circus, but also his decisions during gameplay. When we brought in morrow and iginla, the need for his veteran presence was diminished.

Glass has been a big time hitter the 2nd half of this season. If rather be stay in the lineup than Adams.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Sorry, one more thing about Adams...it's been 4 years since this team had a playoff run they could be proud of. What's the expiration date on Adams' being a clutch guy down the stretch? Can he just keep riding his 2009 legacy forever? Because, since then, I haven't exactly seen the name "winner" stitched above the #27.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:56 pm

shmenguin wrote:Sorry, one more thing about Adams...it's been 4 years since this team had a playoff run they could be proud of. What's the expiration date on Adams' being a clutch guy down the stretch? Can he just keep riding his 2009 legacy forever? Because, since then, I haven't exactly seen the name "winner" stitched above the #27.

So much hate for a guy that gets 8 minutes a night
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:06 pm

If you're going to drop Adams status due to the playoff failures you can pretty much ding everyone on the team. Especially last year.

Adams has shown this season that he can still be the guy sacrificing his body in times of dire need. That's the kind of guy I want in the lineup in the playoffs. My main point is they have plenty of guys that can score and bring offense. They have few that bring sandpaper to the table. While they added some more of that with Morrow, Murray, and Iginla to some extent, I still would have a tough time sitting Adams or Glass.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:13 pm

They would have to move JJ or Sutter to the 4th line, if they sit Adams.
(You really don't want to double shift Crosby every time, if you are planning on playing 16-28 games.)

And, no, that 7 D thing didn't happen because it was ideal, it was because of injuries.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Henry Hank wrote:If you're going to drop Adams status due to the playoff failures you can pretty much ding everyone on the team. Especially last year.

Adams has shown this season that he can still be the guy sacrificing his body in times of dire need. That's the kind of guy I want in the lineup in the playoffs. My main point is they have plenty of guys that can score and bring offense. They have few that bring sandpaper to the table. While they added some more of that with Morrow, Murray, and Iginla to some extent, I still would have a tough time sitting Adams or Glass.

I'll ding the rest of the team for last year. But the rest of the team had other things on their résumé aside from "veteran presence". When you can't do much else, you better have your head on straight.

I understand this is a little excessive for a guy who gets minimal ES minutes, but I see a logical disconnect here and it hurts my brain.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:31 pm

meow wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:What in Kennedy's game last night shows he needs to be sat?

It's not like he's been a liability on the ice, and his game was one of the better ones he's played.

He did play well last night. For me, it's a numbers game. Iginla, Neal, Dupuis and Adams are the 4 right-wingers I want to see in the playoffs. One of those guys get hurt or something, it's nice to have Kennedy.

Which means that you want either Bennett or Glass in the lineup over Kennedy?

I see a 4th line consisting of Jokinen, Adams/Glass, Kennedy/Bennett. Where those pairs are interchangeable depending on play. That allows a 4th line with skill and doesn't remove too many PKers.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Bennett-Morrow looking like they've got some good chemistry out there. With everyone healthy, I still want Bennett on this team.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:13 pm

My bottom 6 would be:
Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett
Cooke-Sutter-Adams
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:23 pm

As of tonight, I no longer worry about this. I'm not sure I believe we'll ever be healthy.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby knives of ice on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:23 am

there is no way in hell HCDB is sitting Adams. it gives the complete wrong message to the team. no way he is sitting a 2 time cup winner, one of the top leaders on the team, and quite frankly he's a Bylsma guy. DB loves Adams.

Bennett will be sitting in the playoffs and the only way he'll be seeing the lineup is through injury or perhaps after a loss, can't see a rookie playing over these veterans. no way. i don't disagree that he maybe should be playing, just based on DB's coaching history i can't see him getting out there.

also, i expect Sutter to center the third line no matter what to be the shutdown center. just has to happen as he's the best center we have in this role.

I'd think Jussi is the 4th line center that plays like a rover through the lineup and is out there for many important draws. he'll be penciled in at center but he'll play wing alot on various lines.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:44 am

pcm wrote:My bottom 6 would be:
Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

:thumb:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:24 am

I have no doubt that Iginla will heat up, if DB chooses to put together a Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla line.
(Whether he will do that, is another story.)

The mantra at the beginning of the year was don't break up 14-71-18....well, maybe it's time to put them back together for the playoffs.
We know that line clicks and - frankly - Crosby can make any line look great (and I would expect that to happen with Iggy).
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins