Chemistry and line combinations

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Good use of Beau's abilities playing him with Glass and Adams. Definitely better suited to the 4th line than scoring line duty.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:01 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Good use of Beau's abilities playing him with Glass and Adams. Definitely better suited to the 4th line than scoring line duty.

Not sure where else he fits right now. Who are you going to bump out of the top six for him?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:11 pm

DelPen wrote:From practice today:

14-71-12
10-36-9
24-16-48
15-27-19

44-4
2-3
58-47
41-5

Switch Bennett and TK and then is better..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby headh on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:18 pm

meow wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:Good use of Beau's abilities playing him with Glass and Adams. Definitely better suited to the 4th line than scoring line duty.

Not sure where else he fits right now. Who are you going to bump out of the top six for him?

19, 71, 12
14, 36, 9
10, 16, 24
15, 46, 27, 48 any combination for the fourth line

Beau Bennett is simply not suited to play on a checking line. If he was consistently playing with guys like Malkin, Iginla, Sid and Neal he'd surpass a guy like Dupuis sooner rather than later. I am a huge fan of guys like Dupuis and Kunitz but BB is just beginning with a superior skill set and missing one thing....experience playing with the right players. This is the exact time to give him that playing time...Sid and Neal out and a playoff spot secured.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:24 pm

headh wrote: Beau Bennett is simply not suited to play on a checking line.

He was very effective playing on a checking line earlier this year. He is very responsible in both zones.

This is the exact time to give him that playing time.

Going into the playoffs? He likely won't be playing in the playoffs unless the IR is still full.
He'll get consistent minutes in the NHL next year.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:32 pm

If Blysma was intending on playing BB exclusively on the 4th line he would have just dressed Jeffrey. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

The only thing I don't like about the lines is 24-16-48 has been weak all season long. I'd switch Sutter and Juicy but other than that, Blysma is finally slotting guys in their natural position on the depth chart (ie #1 LW with #1 center with #1 RW etc.), which is simple fine and good.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:56 pm

I really hate to break something that isn't broken, but when Sid comes back, I think Kunitz and Iginla need to swap lines. Iginla needs to be on the RW, that's been pretty clear I think. Dupuis can really play well anywhere. Also, I think people forget that Jussi also plays wing.

With Healthy roster:

Dupuis-Sid-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow/Jussi-Sutter-Cooke
Kennedy/Vitale/Adams/Glass/Jeffrey

The beauty of this roster is that Bylsma can toggle people around on the third line during the game. In actuality, it serves Morrow better to not necessarily have to play high minutes. He's been playing well IMO, but he's slowed down and would be fresh if him and Jussi switched off during the game. Obviously I don't mean all those players would dress, but keeping an extra forward over a dman I think makes more sense right now once healthy.
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:35 pm

I wrote the same first two lines Hugo,and I think that bottom two lines should be :

Jokinen - Sutter - Morrow
Cooke - Adams - Kennedy
x - Glass, Vitale, Jeffrey
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:39 pm

Pens4Life wrote:I wrote the same first two lines Hugo,and I think that bottom two lines should be :

Cooke - Adams - Kennedy

I pretty much agree. I just think we should dress one more and toggle Cooke/Morrow on the third. As the season/playoffs go on, it's going to take a toll on Morrow. I really think he'd benefit from lower playing time.
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:I wrote the same first two lines Hugo,and I think that bottom two lines should be :

Cooke - Adams - Kennedy

I pretty much agree. I just think we should dress one more and toggle Cooke/Morrow on the third. As the season/playoffs go on, it's going to take a toll on Morrow. I really think he'd benefit from lower playing time.

Yes I agree :fist: :)
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:54 pm

Pens4Life wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

Cooke - Adams - Kennedy

Morrow? Wear down? Have you guys seen him play in the play-offs?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:07 am

meow wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

Cooke - Adams - Kennedy

Morrow? Wear down? Have you guys seen him play in the play-offs?

Absolutely, I'm reserving judgement on Morrow till after the playoffs.

And can people PLEASE stop inserting Morrow at RW, he displaced Cooke from LW and certainly won't be switched to RW in favour of JJ. Think 'old dog, new tricks', just not going to happen.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:27 am

JoseCuervo wrote:
headh wrote: Beau Bennett is simply not suited to play on a checking line.

He was very effective playing on a checking line earlier this year. He is very responsible in both zones.

This is the exact time to give him that playing time.

Going into the playoffs? He likely won't be playing in the playoffs unless the IR is still full.
He'll get consistent minutes in the NHL next year.

Agreed he likely won't play in the playoffs, but it is also unlikely that JJ and Morrow will be 2nd line, or that TK will be on the 3rd line. Either keep as many lines 'set' for the playoffs as possible and fill in holes, or you construct the best lines you can with what's available (not essential as we aren't in a race). I don't see the current lineup as serving either pupose effectively with BB on the 4th and at least 3 lines changing (again) when Sid/Neal return.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:53 pm

The more I think about the whole chemistry thing, it's overrated. Playing peopel in positions they are comfortable is more important in a strict system that Bylsma should deploy. Forcing two RW's on one line or two LW's on one line screws up the system which screws up the team defense which screws the goalie. We end up seeing 4-1 and 6-1 losses. Just play the players where they can do their best.

It's insane anyone is arguing not putting Iginla on the same line as Crosby and Kunitz because of some mystical force called chemistry.

14-87-12
10-71-18
24-16-9
36-27-48

not too hard to figure out.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Its insane that anyone is considering breaking up Crosby Kunitz and Dupuis for any reason.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Its insane that anyone is considering breaking up Crosby Kunitz and Dupuis for any reason.

So screwing up every other line downstream to NOT replace Dupuis with Iginla is insane, OK...
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby headh on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:06 pm

DelPen wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Its insane that anyone is considering breaking up Crosby Kunitz and Dupuis for any reason.

So screwing up every other line downstream to NOT replace Dupuis with Iginla is insane, OK...

I think now we can have Iginla play with great C and LW without screwing up the 14,87,9 synergy
14, 87, 9
16, 71, 18
10, 36, 12
24,46, 48

Iginla carried Carolina to the ECF a few years ago. Morrow is another former Captain who brings a serious net front presence to any line. Iginla could do a lot worse than play with those two.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GeoTank on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:23 pm

Ok not knowing if some of these guys would be able to play either wing i'm just spit balling guys i think could work well together.

Bennet-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Dupuis
Adams-Jussi-Cooke
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:32 pm

GeoTank wrote:Ok not knowing if some of these guys would be able to play either wing i'm just spit balling guys i think could work well together.

Bennet-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Dupuis
Adams-Jussi-Cooke

Flip Cooke and Adams
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby headh on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:25 pm

headh wrote:
DelPen wrote:

I think now we can have Iginla play with great C and LW without screwing up the 14,87,9 synergy
14, 87, 9
16, 71, 18
10, 36, 12
24,46, 48

Jussi carried Carolina to the ECF a few years ago. Morrow is another former Captain who brings a serious net front presence to any line. Iginla could do a lot worse than play with those two.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:27 pm

Truthfully, if someone told you prior to opening night that the Pens would add Iginla, Morrow, Jokinen, Murray and Eaton and only subtract Tangradi and Lovejoy by the trade deadline, would you have believed them?
Last edited by Steve Dave on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:31 pm

I'm waiting for c2I to weigh in.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:34 pm

The best part of acquiring these players is that we can basically scratch the entire 4th line and field a competent one that can score and PK just as well.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:43 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:The best part of acquiring these players is that we can basically scratch the entire 4th line and field a competent one that can score and PK just as well.

I'd love to have some of what you're smoking :pop:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:50 pm

I thought that said :pot:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins