Let's get smart on what a concussion is.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Let's get smart on what a concussion is.

Postby tikidoc on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:45 pm

headh wrote:edit...Im actually far more curious about broken jaws. Is Sid gonna make it back for the playoffs? Obviously I am asking for your opinion because I respect the fact that you graduated from medical school?

Actually, I'm curious as well. I have no experience or knowledge in anything about broken jaws. I have a good friend who's an ENT who I haven't chatted with for a while. I'll ask him and get back with you if I learn anything worth noting. He's taken care of a ton of head and neck trauma, so I would guess he will know a lot.

As far as my reaction to the med student reference vs. the assumption of gender, I initially addressed each in under a line, and I would not call my response even remotely "over the top". Nobody made further comments on the response regarding level of training. Several comments were made regarding my gender commentary, and I responded. Had there not been responses, it would have been one line on each and done.

A little off topic, but since you brought it up, I would guess that most women in medicine are at least a little sensitive about the gender issue, because for educated people, there are a lot of really sexist doctors. And don't even get me started on the patients/husbands. I was lucky enough to have an absolutely wonderful (male) mentor in residency and fellowship who was very supportive and not the least bit sexist, but I can also tell lots of stories about being told what I should and should not specialize in because of gender ("why are you applying in a surgical field, women can't operate"), or how I was treated like dirt in my first job out of training because I was not one of the "boys".
tikidoc
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby headh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:10 am

Ok. Cool. Thanks
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby firepower on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:58 am

As **** as injuries are, at least they're coming in the time between the Pens locking the playoffs and the playoffs themselves. They don't have to rush anyone back, and can get some of the depth in condition for a playoff push.
firepower
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins