Game 39 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 39 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:58 am

Pens win 2-1 (shootout)

- MAF was magnificent in this key game, out dueling King Henrik to the point of injury (Lundquist got hurt on a leg stretch that MAF pulls off on the next shot!)
- Jokinen did the little things that he was brought in to do. Faceoffs, goals and for the reg season - shootout
- HCDB (Head Clairvoyant Dan Balysma) picked Jussi to score the winner from the bench interview (as did I in Pick a Pen btw).
- Loved the emotional response by Duper and crew to the Neal injury. Duper's well timed miss on that icing check really sent a message to Rags & Refs (WAKE UP :pop: )
- With the Neal injury, the debate over line combos is moot. HCDB will now shift the pieces around & find the chemistry (welcome back Beau?)
- Mark Eaton has ZERO flash, but he's effective. I had doubts about bringing him back into the fold, but its hard to argue with success
- Murray's hit on Boyle was a thing of beauty. Large opponents no longer have a free ride playing the Pens.
- Home ice advantage played out again in the bad ice in CEC. Do the Pens tailor their game knowing the ice is bad?
- Tortorella - entertaining as hell & I have not seen the postgame stuff yet. Him up on the bench screaming - GIF plz. My 11yr old calls him "Toddlerella" for his tantrums :lol:
Last edited by Penspal on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 39 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Kharlamov on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:02 am

Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:10 am

I'm not digging Malkin's game nor his effort for a while. He needs to step it up in absence of Sid. The Malkin/Iginla/Neal line is still finding their game!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby X-JR on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:10 am

That Nash pic is funniest thing I have ever seen... hog boy.
X-JR

Postby Mongoose87 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:33 am

I thought the Malkin line looked great, so many very near misses.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Inkio on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:38 am

Mongoose87 wrote:I thought the Malkin line looked great, so many very near misses.

That seems to be the story. They look good, but can't put a puck in.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:53 am

Nash was pretty darn effective last night. Fleury did well to turn him down several times.

As for Malkin, the effort is there. I hope he is not hurt. Just really fighting it at the moment, and nothing seems to be coming off for his line.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:59 am

Neal-Malkin-Iginla looked stunned everytime they were hemmed in the defensive zone, which was quite a lot. I don't like the chemistry of that line, which is too NHL 13 for me. For now the hockey gods agree. Hopefully Neal isn't out long term but he was definitely out of it after that hit.

Hopefully Morrow moves up and takes his place; he looked quite effective on the powerplay with Malkin, as he did against winnipeg in their only game together.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:16 am

-IMO the Jokinen line already has more chemistry than Geno's. Great game by Juicy, very versatile player who will earn a spot in the playoffs and next season if he maintains this play. Good job Shero!
-MAF looked like the playoff goalie of the Cup run, oozing confidence and getting a healthy dose of 'puck luck' to boot.
-2 players skate to the corner, only Murray skates out! #crankshaft
-I'd like to see the outcome of Del Zotto, Subban and Murray locked in a cage...
-Much like the PP the Malkin line looks great at times because of the individual talent - and like the PP - looks hopelessly confused by forcing players into uncomfortable, less effective positions.
-So far I'd love to see Murray and Eaton re-signed. Shero identified exactly what was missing from the PMD clone army and fixed it.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:24 am

-Lots of whining about the dirty Penguins coming from the NY papers this morning. Boyle, Lundquist with quotes. Funny how the Pittsburgh media doesn't even ask about the Cooke/Nash thing or Lundquist's flopping late in the game. I do think his first flop led to the call on Boyle, though..the refs weren't going to let the Rags make them look bad.
-Perplexed as to why Sutter was out there for that faceoff on the one GA. Jokinen went 13-2.
-Also a blurb in Yohe's game recap about how the win earned them two days off of practice. This is exactly what this team DOESN'T need. With all of the new parts, there needs to be structured practice time to get everyone on the same page. Hopefully, if there are optional practices scheduled, they will be well-attended.
-Malkin's shoulder isn't 100%, and it was obvious on his shootout attempt. Couldn't get any lift or velocity on it. Legs seem to be working, but his shot isn't there. Hopefully, the light schedule will give him time to heal.
-TK looks good on the fourth line
-#FreeDespres
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:30 am

my concern is the pens offense right now. I dont care how many injuries we have but 3 goals in 3 games isnt going to cut it and there isnt much time left. I get it that they are changing lines a lot and getting used to new players but its hard to watch teams like the rangers and buffalo own our end. We have had almost no pressure at all in the offensive zone in 3 straight games.

not going to panick yet but i really hope we can start find ways to generate chances because we still have a lot of talent out there. Malkin needs to take over and start shooting. Also the PP looks really bad, we can barely even generate one shot at all.

TLDR offense looks really bad still, hope this is just a minor slump
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Inkio on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:33 am

Any time the Pens beat the Rangers or Flyers all I can see on their forums are "Bunch of diving cheap shotting babies" which is hilarious. And things like the "the better team lost" lol. So many posts saying "Neal got what he deserved" or some variation. What is with these fans? Going though our game day threads I never see crap when a player get's injured saying good, or he deserved it... wtf is wrong with people.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:43 am

- concern for me on too many quality chances. I havent been able to see too many games lately (due to heavy work travel) so I am not sure if that is the norm lately or not. Murray looks like a missing piece but Fleury was outstanding and got us the victory.

- Still have concern on our lack of forward cycle. Have been following the scores, this board and such and it seems the past 10 - 15 games (just a round about guess) we havent been scoring at all. Does that scoring slump start with Letang out of the line up? Have we been getting quality chances?

- So far I like what Shero did at the deadline because those players in theory are what the Pens have been missing. Although I am not a huge fan of B. Morrow this season and not sure what he can add for us, too broken down, just having Murray around and some depth with Jussi was good. I think you found your 4th line center for the playoffs - role player for face offs and can at least skate and show some skill is 1,0000 times better than what we had. That line has been useless. Him and Kennedy - while not ideal size wise at the very very least makes its a line you cant just take a nap on like before.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:45 am

I thought all four lines created enough chances last night. Obviously, it would be nice if they finished a few of them, but it was much better. Especially considering they have no above-average offensive D in the lineup with Niskanen still being in a mini-slump since he's taken on a bigger role. The Pens (and most teams) rely on their D 5 on 5, and they just don't have much to offer at the moment.

Honestly, the only worry I have with this team is health.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:56 am

We had some good chances last night, I think I am still snake bitten from last season and the playoffs and our issues then - chances up and down but not enough play we controlled. We havent been scoring a lot lately (but like I said I havent seen most of the games so I can really comment on why) I would just like to see more contained and consistent pressure in the other teams zone, Sid or no Sid. Thats just my concern up and down chances get you bottled up eventually in the playoffs.

That being said what I liked about last night was it appears we can actually play with 4 lines. I know the 4th line if it ends up being Jussi and TK isnt a balls to the wall cycle/hit/some size line but they can skate and actually play hockey. If it gets us away from Glass and Adams on a useless 4th line that is a marked improvement. Add that with Iginla getting dirty we should be ready to roll.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I am not a huge fan of B. Morrow this season and not sure what he can add for us, too broken down, just having Murray around and some depth with Jussi was good. I think you found your 4th line center for the playoffs - role player for face offs and can at least skate and show some skill is 1,0000 times better than what we had. That line has been useless. Him and Kennedy - while not ideal size wise at the very very least makes its a line you cant just take a nap on like before.

Morrow leads Pens F in hits since arriving but doesn't have the speed for the 3rd line. I thought he looked great as the 'Kunitz type' with Geno and Neal, could do the dirty work and go to the net, but Bylsma seems insistent on reducing player effectiveness throughout the lineup.

I'd agree the 4th line has been useless at ES. Could Jokinen displace Glass or Adams on the PK thus removing one of their guaranteed spots? I hope so.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:03 am

Lucky to get 2 points last night. Outplayed most of the night. Jussi and Fleury the obvious difference makers in this one. Sutter as a 3rd line checking line center, HAS to be better in the dot.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:05 am

Luckybreak wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I am not a huge fan of B. Morrow this season and not sure what he can add for us, too broken down, just having Murray around and some depth with Jussi was good. I think you found your 4th line center for the playoffs - role player for face offs and can at least skate and show some skill is 1,0000 times better than what we had. That line has been useless. Him and Kennedy - while not ideal size wise at the very very least makes its a line you cant just take a nap on like before.

Morrow leads Pens F in hits since arriving but doesn't have the speed for the 3rd line. I thought he looked great as the 'Kunitz type' with Geno and Neal, could do the dirty work and go to the net, but Bylsma seems insistent on reducing player effectiveness throughout the lineup.

I'd agree the 4th line has been useless at ES. Could Jokinen displace Glass or Adams on the PK thus removing one of their guaranteed spots? I hope so.

Yeah, he hits and has heart. I am just not sure what kind of an impact he will have here, not envisioning much from him I guess. Just a thought though no hard evidence.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:13 am

pugilist13 wrote:Sutter as a 3rd line checking line center, HAS to be better in the dot.

Am I missing something here? The idea that Sutter is bad on faceoffs seems to be taking off but I'm not finding any evidence of that. He's at 51% for the season. 50.5% last season. I don't know where to find defensive zone stats but he's 50% on PK draws. He's not great at it but he'd be considered above average based on the numbers and he's been improving the last few years.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:23 am

Henry Hank wrote:
pugilist13 wrote:Sutter as a 3rd line checking line center, HAS to be better in the dot.

Am I missing something here? The idea that Sutter is bad on faceoffs seems to be taking off but I'm not finding any evidence of that. He's at 51% for the season. 50.5% last season. I don't know where to find defensive zone stats but he's 50% on PK draws. He's not great at it but he'd be considered above average based on the numbers and he's been improving the last few years.

Cant lose that draw clean in a 1 goal game late in the 3rd period.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:25 am

Henry Hank wrote:

I think a lot of the Sutter stuff is from the lost draw that led to the tying goal last night.

The Pens are 5th in the league (2nd in the East) in faceoffs. This may be an issue only in a long series with the Bruins.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:30 am

Sutter get reamed because he lost the draw that Nash scored on..

I noticed alot of D zone draws won, and then promptly turned over with a stupid play up the boards.. namely Orpik twice, glaringly.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:33 am

The best face off men in the league typically can't even crack 60%. You can't just will yourself a face off win, no matter who you are. A lot of it is still left to chance.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby booboo on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:08 am

Something is not right with Geno. I hope it is just the flu, not being exhausted due to a prolonged (for him) season, nor lingering an injury... He loses most of his puck battles, gets pick pocketed too often, does not show much of the dominant energy we are used to see from him, looks slower on skates than usual, and his shot is not as hard as it used to be... I am a bit worried...
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:14 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
That being said what I liked about last night was it appears we can actually play with 4 lines. I know the 4th line if it ends up being Jussi and TK isnt a balls to the wall cycle/hit/some size line but they can skate and actually play hockey. If it gets us away from Glass and Adams on a useless 4th line that is a marked improvement. Add that with Iginla getting dirty we should be ready to roll.

That's what I came in here to say. Kennedy looked great on the 4th line. Adding Jussi as well and then being able to rotate between glass and Adams gives great depth.

Also, I thought Morrow played his best game and that our third line could be real tough to play against if he maintains that level.

Murray is effing awesome. So is dupuis. Rick Nash is the opposite.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins