Lockout still affecting you?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout still affecting you?

Postby Noise on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Not having cable has affected me more.

I follow the team & try to catch games when I can but I try not to let it dominate my life so much anymore.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gsnyder58 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:33 pm

I talked to my Uncle at christmas who gave up Caps season tickets in 1994 with that lockout and I asked him How was he able to give it up and never look back. First thing he said to me was that I was too into it to give it up.
He's right. I've come to the conclusion, We as pens fans have been pretty privileged. Having had some of the best players in the game since 1984 Unfortunately so many other NHL clubs havent been in the position the pens have been in with having so many big names playing for them. With this abbreviated season, I've still watched the pens and every team as often as my sked allows and I went to 1 game, but I've already got enough Pens Merch than I know what to do with.
Gsnyder58

Postby yubb on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:31 pm

I had a hard time getting interested. However, I realize that it's just a business. That said, I was very put off by one player whom I can't remember that was justifying their position by saying "We put our bodies on the line every night." That upset me because there are many hard-working people who put their bodies on the line. Except they do it over a period of 40 years and when they get hurt they don't have world class health care to benefit from.

So I haven't worn a jersey with anyone's name on it since then, I haven't purchased anything NHL or hockey related. And I haven't gone to a game.

I wasn't one of the ones talking the talk, but I'm walking the walk.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:49 pm

The lockout made me realize 82 games is too damn many
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sigwolf on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:20 pm

MarioLives wrote:Does watching the games on TV put any money in the NHL's, owners or players pockets? If any of them are yes, does it really matter if you boycott merchandise?

Unless you're talking about Center Ice, or you are a Nielsen household, no, watching on TV does not put any money in their pockets. So, yes, it really does matter if you boycott merchandise, because that does put money directly in the NHL's pockets.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:45 am

no name wrote:I never made a claim that i wouldn't watch hockey again because i knew i would came back even if it lasted a entire year. I was on the owners side and i think they won and glad that hockey is on safer ground.

I could not have written it better myself.

I probably watch more Pens games now than before.
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:57 am

Mr. Colby wrote:The lockout made me realize 82 games is too damn many

I agree 100% to this comment.

I would be in full support of a season that starts in early Dec and finishes in late March. Playoffs are done just before June.

On the topic, I couldn't resist the $50 Gamecenter Live price this year. That is just over $1 a game. Much better than the near $3 I pay for the regular package. That being said, I have learned that the NHL and the NHLPA are a broken relationship and lockouts every 7 years is inevitable. I can live with that. It is only the NHL.. not my life. If things get too expensive then I simply won't pay.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:01 am

The only way it ever affected me was that it delayed the season. I never pretended it would affect me otherwise, and it didn't.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:16 am

Hawkeynut wrote:

I would be in full support of a season that starts in early Dec and finishes in late March. Playoffs are done just before June.

On the topic, I couldn't resist the $50 Gamecenter Live price this year. That is just over $1 a game. Much better than the near $3 I pay for the regular package. That being said, I have learned that the NHL and the NHLPA are a broken relationship and lockouts every 7 years is inevitable. I can live with that. It is only the NHL.. not my life. If things get too expensive then I simply won't pay.

When the amount of games go down price per game would probably go up.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:21 am

Considering how frequently the standings are stilld drastically shifting at this point, I think 48 games is definitely way too few. You play as many games as you can without your players breaking down. The more games played, the more likely to get the deserving teams into the playoffs.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:36 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Considering how frequently the standings are stilld drastically shifting at this point, I think 48 games is definitely way too few. You play as many games as you can without your players breaking down. The more games played, the more likely to get the deserving teams into the playoffs.

This. There are more games needed or a different points system. Either way the season needs length
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:52 am

Hawkeynut wrote:

Yes, to all of this. I enjoyed not watching hockey in October-December this year. Didn't miss it until the season started.

I thought about the cheap GameCenter, but with the Penguins being blacked out so much (national TV and local Hurricanes telecasts) it didn't make sense. I would like to watch the occasional non-Penguins game, but wasn't sure how much I would actually do that.

I hadn't planned on doing much with the NHL this year until my almost 7 year old asked me when we were going to see the Penguins play. How could I resist? :lol:

I'm trying to start a tradition where we attend a game in Raleigh once or twice a season, go do some other stuff in the "big city" and enjoy father-son time. His younger brother will probably go with us next season, when he's five.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:40 am

Totally agree that 82 games is too much. But, I hate not having the cross-conference games. For me, I think 60 is the sweet spot.

Have to admit though that 48 is pretty money. Every game matters.

I just wish that baseball would get my plea to shorten the season by 162 games.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 am

Look at the standings after 40 games... most of the teams we expect to be there are there.

This season stretched out to 82, it would most likely turn out Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston/Montreal winning the divisions, NY Rangers and Toronto in the playoffs, Isles/Philly/Tampa/New Jersey/Ottawa/Winnipeg battling for the last 2 spots. Not much different than it is now.

I like 66 games.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:26 am

Well, let me put it this way. I still like watching it and all that. But if it ended tomorrow for some reason, I'd be like "eh..". I'm not sure I would care. So I do still like it and get excited, but I think it did something emotionally to me where I am not so invested in it. I'll often watch games and do something else on the side, unless it's a good matchup like pens/flies or pens/rangers.

82 games feels too much now. I'd go for 60 or so.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:10 am

Sarcastic wrote:Well, let me put it this way. I still like watching it and all that. But if it ended tomorrow for some reason, I'd be like "eh..". I'm not sure I would care. So I do still like it and get excited, but I think it did something emotionally to me where I am not so invested in it.
This pretty much describes how I feel as well. I think that during the lockout I realized that I have a LOT of things to do and watching hockey isn't as important as I made it out to be. So now I still like watching, but I didn't buy center ice and I really don't feel all that bad about not being able to watch a good chunk of the games.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins