playoff tickets help/advice

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

playoff tickets help/advice

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:13 pm

So I think we can safely assume that the Pens will at the very least make the playoffs and I am absolutely sure that I'm going to go to at least a first round game.

As a New Yorker I've only been to Pens vs. Islanders and Rangers games and was wondering a few things. And I know I'm speaking in general terms and specifics are unknown but considering I've never been to a playoff game for any sport I feel like I could use some help.

(1) When do playoff tickets officially go on sale for playoff games? As soon as they clinch berth? Division?
(2) How much should I expect to pay for the cheapest tickets (I'm a poor college student)?

Any advice is welcome too. Thanks brahs.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Re: playoff tickets help/advice

Postby knives of ice on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:10 pm

from what i've read the playoffs will start for the pens most likely may 1st. the playoffs start on the 30th but there is a black keys concert at cec that night, so you'd have to assume the pens start on the 2nd night. so most likely the first game will be on a wednesday and the 2nd game on friday. the chances of you getting tickekts when they go on sale are very slim. no doubt the weekday game will be much cheaper than friday on the secondary market. just a guess but i'd think you are probably looking at around $150 for the cheapest ticket unless you are getting them on the day of the game or lucky enough to get tickets in the 2,000 or so available from ticketmaster.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:02 am

Maybe they'll do student rush to screw everyone else whom would like to go.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:52 am

knives of ice wrote:from what i've read the playoffs will start for the pens most likely may 1st. the playoffs start on the 30th but there is a black keys concert at cec that night, so you'd have to assume the pens start on the 2nd night. so most likely the first game will be on a wednesday and the 2nd game on friday. the chances of you getting tickekts when they go on sale are very slim. no doubt the weekday game will be much cheaper than friday on the secondary market. just a guess but i'd think you are probably looking at around $150 for the cheapest ticket unless you are getting them on the day of the game or lucky enough to get tickets in the 2,000 or so available from ticketmaster.

I don't particularly agree with the bolded above. I've been to the playoffs the last two years and got tix the day they went on sale on Ticketmaster. In '11, they day they went on sale, I went to the Ticketmaster site about an hour or so after they went on sale to see if they had any available, thinking that they wouldn't have any. To my surprise and elation, there were some left for the 1st two games so I pulled out the credit card for the tix, the plane, the hotel and the rental car and was in the Burgh two days later for game 1 vs Tampa Bay.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:10 am

Kovy27 wrote:Maybe they'll do student rush to screw everyone else whom would like to go.

Are you sure?

FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby C4 Row E on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:20 am

They actually had to do student rush to sell tickets for the Tampa series.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:52 am

C4 Row E wrote:They actually had to do student rush to sell tickets for the Tampa series.

They did student rush during the Cup finals because I can remember my friend and I trying to get his mom to get us tickets
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby beerman on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
knives of ice wrote:from what i've read the playoffs will start for the pens most likely may 1st. the playoffs start on the 30th but there is a black keys concert at cec that night, so you'd have to assume the pens start on the 2nd night. so most likely the first game will be on a wednesday and the 2nd game on friday. the chances of you getting tickekts when they go on sale are very slim. no doubt the weekday game will be much cheaper than friday on the secondary market. just a guess but i'd think you are probably looking at around $150 for the cheapest ticket unless you are getting them on the day of the game or lucky enough to get tickets in the 2,000 or so available from ticketmaster.

I don't particularly agree with the bolded above. I've been to the playoffs the last two years and got tix the day they went on sale on Ticketmaster. In '11, they day they went on sale, I went to the Ticketmaster site about an hour or so after they went on sale to see if they had any available, thinking that they wouldn't have any. To my surprise and elation, there were some left for the 1st two games so I pulled out the credit card for the tix, the plane, the hotel and the rental car and was in the Burgh two days later for game 1 vs Tampa Bay.

BEPF

There wasn't a huge demand for a playoff series without Sid and Geno. I checked ticketmaster about 30 minutes before game 7 and there were still seats available. This year will be a little different.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:52 pm

This year will be a little different.

This fan base is fickel. I got 2009 Game 3 SCF tickets for face value off stubhub because they had lost in Detroit. And plenty of early round games in 2010 through ticketmaster, seemed people wen't going to spend $ until the playoff series had "more meaning" or something. So it wouldn't surprise me if you could get Round 1 tickets, especially a Wednesday night game.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby beerman on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Yeah I don't think it'll be extremely difficult to get them but the Lightning series is probably a bad example given what the roster looked like.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Last year we were playing the Flyers. I went on to Ticketmaster the minute they went on sale. And because of the traffic, the site was slow (but then it was slow for everyone), but 30 minutes after they went on sale I had tickets for the first two games.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Are they generally cheaper on Ticketmaster than like a resale site?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:12 pm

Alright, I figure I'll post it here because I don't know where else I'd ask this but I guess I can't seem to send PMs which means I can't even PM the admin as to why I can't PM.

Can anyone help?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Admin on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:41 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Alright, I figure I'll post it here because I don't know where else I'd ask this but I guess I can't seem to send PMs which means I can't even PM the admin as to why I can't PM.

Can anyone help?

You need to have a certain number of approved posts before you can PM. I forget if it's three or five.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby roland on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:19 pm

it will be hard to find tickets via ticketmaster.com because they sell out in seconds. You may find someone on craigslist that may have tickets for slightly over gate price (ticket master price) but then you have to worry about meeting them and the possibility of getting murdered. Whenever I purchase tickets online, I check seatgeek.com. They scour the web and find tickets that are posted on stubhub, tickets now, cheap tickets, and various other online brokers and group them all together so you can get a feel for good deals or bad deals.
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Admin wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Alright, I figure I'll post it here because I don't know where else I'd ask this but I guess I can't seem to send PMs which means I can't even PM the admin as to why I can't PM.

Can anyone help?

You need to have a certain number of approved posts before you can PM. I forget if it's three or five.

I approve all his posts. Does that count? LOL :thumb:
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:52 am

My advice, be ready to pay alot.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:23 am

The standing room tickets are still pretty cheap
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:28 am

Depending on the matchup, we may be willing to part with tickets for game 2 of any given round at a drastically marked up rate.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby rarst17 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:28 am

Apparently they go on sale next Monday....

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/16004 ... norcatid=9
rarst17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins