Thoughts on who will and wont be back for 1st round?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Thoughts on who will and wont be back for 1st round?

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Caps are going to win the East IMO.

Win the East in the regular season? With 9 games left, they need to win every game to get to 60 points. They play Montreal twice, Ottawaaah twice, Toronto, and Boston. The other games are their SE division doormats brethren. It's a longshot to vault the Penguins and the NE division.

The Jets have an easier schedule with Montreal, Caps, and the Isles being the only playoff-ish teams in their last 8 games.

Coming out of the Eastern Conference, sure, anything can happen. They make for an excellent dark horse contender. Ovechkin appears to be back on PEDs, and Oates system has gained traction.

As for the thread, I think all except for perhaps Martin will be back for the first round. The big problem will be to get everyone on the same page as far as systems, chemistry, line combos and so on. Hopefully, this road trip will provide for some bonding moments.

No. As in win the ECF
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:37 am

Ehhh. I felt excited last month. This month not so much but the good news is that's just hockey so in a couple of weeks or so perhaps things will look up again. :thumb:

Spoiler:
I hate the Capitals
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 am

Gaucho wrote:I think the Rangers will obliterate the Caps in Round 1.

I do too.

Injuries or not, the only team in the East I am concerned about is Montreal. That aren't as talented as the Pens, Bruins or the Caps, but they have a work ethic that is relentless and are very good in one-goal games. They know how to win and simply play harder than their opponents most nights. I thought they would come crashing back to Earth after their early success with MT's system, but they haven't and keep on winning. They just beat the Bruins 3 times in a row and Habs are a dangerous team who will simply beat you by playing harder than you want to.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:54 am

What is Martin up to right now? Does anyone know? If it is just a wrist, is he doing conditioning drills or anything? My biggest worry with him is, if he isnt ready until after the playoffs start, he comes in and is a step or two slower at first and it costs us a goal or two
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:09 am

brwi wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I think the Rangers will obliterate the Caps in Round 1.

I do too.

Injuries or not, the only team in the East I am concerned about is Montreal. That aren't as talented as the Pens, Bruins or the Caps, but they have a work ethic that is relentless and are very good in one-goal games. They know how to win and simply play harder than their opponents most nights. I thought they would come crashing back to Earth after their early success with MT's system, but they haven't and keep on winning. They just beat the Bruins 3 times in a row and Habs are a dangerous team who will simply beat you by playing harder than you want to.

really hoping for a Habs-Leafs 4-5 series.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:10 am

A Habs-Leafs series would be awesome. As would a Chicago-Detroit and Boston-New York. MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:18 am

Rylan wrote:A Habs-Leafs series would be awesome. As would a Chicago-Detroit and Boston-New York. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Someone on Twitter said that if the playoffs started today (I hate saying that, but follow me here) that all the Original Six teams would be playing each other. Bos-Tor; NYR-Mon; Chi-Det. Pretty, pretty cool.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby brwi on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:20 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Rylan wrote:A Habs-Leafs series would be awesome. As would a Chicago-Detroit and Boston-New York. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Someone on Twitter said that if the playoffs started today (I hate saying that, but follow me here) that all the Original Six teams would be playing each other. Bos-Tor; NYR-Mon; Chi-Det. Pretty, pretty cool.

:thumb: That would be awesome.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:43 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:It's pretty crazy how less optimistic I am now than I was two weeks ago. The injuries obviously have a lot to do with that, but I am just getting really bad vibes about this postseason. I hope I'm wrong, but I certainly don't have the "BRING ON THE EAST" attitude that others seem to have.

I think we went from odds-on favorites to win the East to perhaps the 3rd highest odds, IMO.

I'm tempering my expectations until Bylsma shows that his team can perform in the playoffs or they get a new coach.

This is exactly where I'm at. And I hope he does not get another pass this season because of injury. Regardless of the team's health, other teams have injuries to key players too (Boston just lost Bergeron). Bylsma must get this team to the conference finals or beyond, or they need to replace him.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby headh on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:51 am

newarenanow wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:It's pretty crazy how less optimistic I am now than I was two weeks ago. The injuries obviously have a lot to do with that, but I am just getting really bad vibes about this postseason. I hope I'm wrong, but I certainly don't have the "BRING ON THE EAST" attitude that others seem to have.

I think we went from odds-on favorites to win the East to perhaps the 3rd highest odds, IMO.

I kind of feel the same way.

If we didn't lose some key players to injury, we could have had a few weeks to get the lines to gell etc.

Now, there will be shuffling, then players will be coming back for the playoffs, and it just seems like things aren't going to click they way they should.

However, I think if we make it past Rd 1, we will be fine.

It is really an odd feeling. I'm completely pessimistic right now about a team that has
Crosby
Malkin
Neal
Iginla
Letang
Martin
Fleury

Oh I know why now that I see it in writing. I view these players as the Penguins top 7 players. Six of them have missed games due to injury very recently and four of them are out right now. Frankly I don't anticipate Sid or Martin being back in time for the playoffs and lord knows you can't know what the case is with Neal. Malkin is playing well by everyone else's standards but not that great by his standards and his primary winger is a total question due to his concussion.

I think special teams are everything in the playoffs (next to goaltending) and Paul Martin is our PP QB. Without him we simply don't get set up in any reasonable time frame. Neal is our best goal scorer on the PP and he isn't playing. Blah
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GeoTank on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 pm

Letang... he'll be back in a few days
Crosby... Two more weeks, tops
Neal... 1-2 weeks tops
Martin.... middle 1st round

NO WAY IN GOD'S GREEN EARTH CAPS WILL WIN THE EAST..... none !!
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 pm

I keep looking for the Hello Kitty motif looking at most of the posts in page 1 of this thread. I believe we will have both Letang and Crosby back in the lineup sooner than later. And I expect Neal, who doesn't have a concussion history, to return after this road trip. And Martin to return before or during round 1.

Of course getting everyone back and healthy in time to develop solid chemistry would be ideal, but this is a team that has still won 16 of their last 18 games despite numerous injuries. I have no reason to think the wheels will suddenly fall off, I expect them to compete in the ECF and frankly win there. Every team has issues, Boston hasn't been playing as well as they'd like. And I think the Habs aren't big enough to survive the playoffs in the same form they've gotten by in the regular season.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:06 pm

GeoTank wrote:NO WAY IN GOD'S GREEN EARTH CAPS WILL WIN THE EAST..... none !!

I'll take that bet
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:19 pm

The biggest worry we should have is a lack of on-ice chemistry.

We will probably have 1-2 regular season games to ice our fully healthy lineup before the postseason. Who plays where and with whom?

Crosby: not a chance in the world that he misses game 1 of the playoffs. Guys with more severe jaw breaks have missed less than 4 weeks. This injury won't impact his speed, shot, brain, etc. A high ankle or knee or concussion or something like that would have ended his year. Not worried about him.

Letang: probably could have played last week. He'll be fine.

Martin: happy his was a hand injury and not lower body. He'll be back right before Game 1 by all indications.

Neal: for every season ending 6 month Savard/Pronger/Crosby concussion there are 20 guys that go down with 1-2 week concussions and come back fine. All indications thus far seem to point to a quick recovery. He's up and active, tweeting, he has an appearance next week he's still attending with Niskanen. Might do him some good to rest for 7-10 days.

There will be immense pressure for all these guys to get back the week before the postseason. Play 2 games and then get ready for Game 1. After 3 horrible postseasons in a row and after Shero's deadline moves, the time is now.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GeoTank on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:24 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
GeoTank wrote:NO WAY IN GOD'S GREEN EARTH CAPS WILL WIN THE EAST..... none !!

I'll take that bet

Your looking at a record in March and April of 13-7 which isn't that bad, however against winning and losing record teams it's not as nice looking.

Losing teams (their own crappy division) 10-2
Winning teams (teams they will face in the Playoffs) 3-5
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:27 pm

playoff series are 7 games though, so an 8 game sample doesn't mean anything. :pop: They may have won 4/7 if that were a 7 game stretch.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GeoTank on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:playoff series are 7 games though, so an 8 game sample doesn't mean anything. :pop: They may have won 4/7 if that were a 7 game stretch.

Your right against teams with winning records the Crapitols are 4-14 for this entire season, unless you need me to go further back?
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:45 pm

GeoTank wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:playoff series are 7 games though, so an 8 game sample doesn't mean anything. :pop: They may have won 4/7 if that were a 7 game stretch.

Your right against teams with winning records the Crapitols are 4-14 for this entire season, unless you need me to go further back?

I'm not sure if i'm following you.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pensfan4life27 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 pm

This is how I see it with guys coming back:

Letang - He'll be the first to come back, the fact that he is on the road trip means he can play if needed.

Neal - Will be next to come back from injury. I feel leaving him at home on this quick 3 game road trip against teams that are currently not in the playoffs was just as a precaution/why risk anything? (Especially since we already clinched a playoff spot and virtually a top 3 spot).

Crosby - He is the wild card. We know for sure that the puck to the face didn't cause any concussion symptoms which is a win off the bat or the face in this case. I think we will have a better time frame once he revisits his doctor this week. However, from seeing Crosby and his passion to play he will be back either a game/two before season's end or 1st game of playoffs. Crosby's biggest issue when he comes back wont be his chemistry or his jaw but instead his weight. He may even skip a game or two at seasons end to regain his weight.

Martin - Seeing it is def. a broken hand and we have a lot of depth a the D position it is along the same lines as Neal in that no need to rush him back and he really can't with a broken hand. Come playoff time he will be back, my guess is game 3 or 4 in the 1st round depending how the series is going. If we are up 2-0 after first two home games then he'll probably sit until next round.

As for Chemistry, I don't think this will become an issue. We already know the 1st line of Kunitz/Crosby/Dupis are solid and 3rd and 4th lines are solid as well. The only line I'm worrying about is the Malkin line and more particularly Malkin, he still has some rust to shake off but once he gets going we are good to go. The other thing to remember is if need be you can always swap Kunitz/Iginla between lines 1a and 1b and I don't think you'd see much of a difference in output (once fully healthy).

On a side note: Of all the teams I've cheered for over my life...this is the only team I know of that deals very well with injuries to key players. We are incredibly fortunate to have Malkin/Crosby to step up when one goes down, its just been unfortunate with us that it doesn't transfer over to playoffs, but this year I feel good about this team.

Go Pens
Pensfan4life27
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GeoTank on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:57 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
GeoTank wrote:

I'm not sure if i'm following you.

I thought you said the record of 3-5 for playing against winning teams was too small so i expanded it to the rest of their season not just the last month +. I streached it out for the whole season and showed they have a poor record vs winning teams which the Craps will be playing in the playoffs therefore it is Highly unlikly they will win the Eastern Confrence as PensFaninDC thinks... follow me?
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:10 pm

itissteeltime wrote:Caps have won three games against top 8 teams all year.

Yeah they have been feasting on the bottom feeders as well as the inflated position that Carolina and Winnipeg occupied while the Caps were struggling.

They play some absolutely horrible teams - and the fact that Ovechkin has heated up covers a lot of their issues. I still am not a believer in Holtby, they have a terrible defense stable and they have issues with no proven playoff scoring depth. They also have a top PP that helps to cover their flaws, but if the playoffs reduce the effectiveness of the PP then they have a serious issue.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:It won't matter if Winnipeg catches the Caps and the caps get the 8 seed. It'll be a quick exit, healthy or not.

Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 pm

The problem with the Caps winning in the playoffs is the fact that they tend to give up more goals than they score in games.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:22 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:The problem with the Caps winning in the playoffs is the fact that they tend to give up more goals than they score in games.

Did they get new goalies at the deadline and I missed it?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:26 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Don't get the infatuation with "Original Six". Never have, never will . Really, who cares?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins