Brooks Orpik

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Brooks Orpik

Postby mac5155 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:13 pm

ITT we discuss brooks' recent play. I think it is subpar. Visor going to his brain?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Brooks Orpik

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 pm

Becoming clearer how the pens will end up keeping letang when his contract is up.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:17 pm

He's always looke like this without the right partner. With a guy like Martin or Letang he looks just fine. He works as a number 4 and needs his partner to move the puck and skate well.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby knives of ice on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:18 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Becoming clearer how the pens will end up keeping letang when his contract is up.

they'll want to keeep him, but the only way they do is if he takes far less money than he can get somewhere else.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 pm

But he's not even failing at that. He can't clear a puck across the blue line. He can't stay on a guy in his own end.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:20 pm

Noticeably brutal in person tonight.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:33 pm

He needs Martin back.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:34 am

MRandall25 wrote:He needs Martin back.

Yep
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:56 am

Agreed, Rand.

Brooks Orpik will be 2-3 months shy of his 34th birthday on July 1st 2014. I don't think he's the type of defenseman to play a late into his 30's with his style of play. I agree that he needs Martin back, someone to lead his pairing so to say. I really hope he takes a huge discount to stay here. I'm not too familiar with the new CBA, but does the 35+ rule still take into affect?

3-year, 1.8M - 2.3M per (maybe 7 million over 3 years)

So when he retires, and because its under 35 contract when signed, he should be able to retire/cap hit off the books. (please feel free to correct if that info is incorrect thanks)

I would love to see him retire as a Penguin. However, it's only happening if he doesn't mind a huge pay cut, and playing bottom pairing. I still think that he's worth keeping around to hopefully help with some leadership with Borts and Despres. 2.3M is really pushing it. I think the less minutes will help as well.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:02 am

I love Brooks and all he's done here, but he's gotten nothing but progressivly worse over the last couple seasons.

I think his physical style of play is just wearing him down.

I agree with the hive here, that a pay cut and less time on the 3rd pairing is that only way he's going to stay here.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:22 am

It's going to be totally up to Brooks on retiring a pen. He isn't worth spending a lot of cap money on for his next contract. We got guys knocking on the door to come up from WBS and juniors and with cap going back down we have to pay cheap somewhere.

I'm a big fan of Brooks but his cap hit will be better served elsewhere when the time comes in 2 summers.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:31 am

I'm wondering if it's an issue with him just playing too much per night. I don't think its a conditioning issue, I believe he had great conditioning. Maybe it's some nagging injuries, not sure. There was a streak during the 15 game winning streak where he played some really good games.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:38 am

As long as Despres is on the team, we can look forward to guys having a rough year getting no breaks.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:43 am

He'll be fine, once he's back with Martin.
I'd like to see Orpik signed the year after next, with the intention of him holding down the 3rd pair.

As an aside, there's a reason why DB has limited Despres (and especially Bortuzzo) this year; they still have a lot to learn.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:45 am

columbia wrote:He'll be fine, once he's back with Martin.
I'd like to see Orpik signed the year after next, with the intention of him holding down the 3rd pair.

As an aside, there's a reason why DB has limited Despres (and especially Bortuzzo) this year; they still have a lot to learn.

There's zero reason with Murray now in the line-up, with all of the injuries, that Despres should be scratched in favor of Engo and Burtuzzo. Carolina is not a tough team(as that's been the excuse when they've kept Despres out). You're a first rounder, you've got the play-offs clinched. Wouldn't now technically be the time to learn?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:47 am

I completely agree. You can't make the inexperience argument about Despres and then turn around and start Engelland and Bortuzzo. It just doesn't work.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:49 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
columbia wrote:He'll be fine, once he's back with Martin.

There's zero reason with Murray now in the line-up, with all of the injuries, that Despres should be scratched in favor of Engo and Burtuzzo. Carolina is not a tough team(as that's been the excuse when they've kept Despres out). You're a first rounder, you've got the play-offs clinched. Wouldn't now technically be the time to learn?

I don't think that too many people will defend seeing Engelland in the lineup - period. However, that doesn't mean that you want Despres playing 20+ a night in the playoffs.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:53 am

I'm just saying, theoretically now would be the time to get him experience, especially if injuries are a common thing with the defense. Burtuzzo I understand(he needs the experience), but Engo?

I just feel like I'm at the point of they're doing all of this to see how he reacts to being scratched in and out every night. I feel like he's at least earned the shot to be a consistent player on the team, especially with the injuries now.
Last edited by Malkamaniac on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:02 am

I didn't think there was ever a point in playing Engelland. Once they got Murray, they should have just waived him. I don't even want him in as an option when 3 of the 8 other defenders are hurt.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby crush_lives_723 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:02 am

you know he only has 103 hits and 105 blocks, leading the league in blocked shots. But Brooks sucks, let him walk for nothing right? NO! Orpik must retire a penguin, just because he isn't a slick skater and he isnt the player he was 4 years ago it doesn't mean he is a huge part of this penguins team. have a problem with the pens play as of late point the finger elsewhere. For example, the dynamic duo of Mat "risky nisky" niskanen and tyler "i cant skate or shoot or tie my own skates" kennedy. These two players are detriments to the team, meanwhile brooks vlocks more sjots than any other player in the league and puts his body on the line every night. Is Orpik worth 3.750 mil? not really, prob more in the ball park of 3 mil and that is what he will take come next contract. Shero needs money for tanger? drop nisky and tk thats about 4 mil right there, right into kris letangs pocket on top of what he already makes.
crush_lives_723
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:04 am

crush_lives_723 wrote:you know he only has 103 hits and 105 blocks, leading the league in blocked shots. But Brooks sucks, let him walk for nothing right? NO! Orpik must retire a penguin, just because he isn't a slick skater and he isnt the player he was 4 years ago it doesn't mean he is a huge part of this penguins team. have a problem with the pens play as of late point the finger elsewhere. For example, the dynamic duo of Mat "risky nisky" niskanen and tyler "i cant skate or shoot or tie my own skates" kennedy. These two players are detriments to the team, meanwhile brooks vlocks more sjots than any other player in the league and puts his body on the line every night. Is Orpik worth 3.750 mil? not really, prob more in the ball park of 3 mil and that is what he will take come next contract. Shero needs money for tanger? drop nisky and tk thats about 4 mil right there, right into kris letangs pocket on top of what he already makes.

Just because he isn't a slick skater? What? Did you respond to a thread on another site? I don't think anyone around here thinks his skating is anything other than a strength, unless you're making that assumption because he is known as a hitter. I don't think Brooks needs to go, but dropping one player to free up about 4 million is a lot more reasonable than dropping two players for about 4 million. The replacement value of one player is a minimum of about half a million, the replacement value for two is a minimum of about one million. I do hope kennedy is excised though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:11 am

Wow, this thread makes me feel so much better. I'm not saying Despres is already a top pairing guy. He isn't , and he isn't ready. I just don't see ANY LOGIC in playing Engelland over Despres. The only thing Engelland brings to the table over Despres, is that Engelland fights. I don't understand why Bylsma gets on his Rookies for making Rookie mistakes, but his veterans make mistakes and its almost like they get rewarded.

Orpik is fine. We need Martin - Orpik to go deep into the playoffs.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:13 am

Funny Orpik moment from last night. Brooks joined the rush and looked really good with his strong skating. He threw a shot/pass at the net last night and Steigy tried to make a "Bobby Orr" comparison.... Errey shut him down hard.

Regarding Orpik's miscues....

- Every guy has them, from Sid to MAF.
- Visor is likely having some effect
- Playing consistently with new guys (especially rookies) in close games is tough

As for down the road, I expect Orpik might take a hometown discount to stay.

Orpik is a rare defenceman in one unique way. He'll battle like no tomorrow with a guy, but he refuses to turn it into a fight. Slash, whack, wrestle, whatever, but never a fight. A hockey playing pacifist?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:45 am

Fans have been bashing Brooks play since forever. Through the new nhl, through the play-offs, cups, olympic year, when sid and gene were injured~ always. He must know something about defense or he has pulled the wool over many in his career.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:53 am

penny lane wrote:Fans have been bashing Brooks play since forever. Through the new nhl, through the play-offs, cups, olympic year, when sid and gene were injured~ always. He must know something about defense or he has pulled the wool over many in his career.

Pretty much this.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins