Game 40 vs. Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 40 vs. Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:06 am

Pens win 5-3

- Contribution from lots of guys who have been a bit snakebit of late. (Geno, Iginla, Morrow, Bennett, Bortuzzo, Glass)
- A good "gel game" further entrenching the newest Pens into the Pens style
- I expect the PDAS membership to grow today. Pascal's game reminds me of Crosby (speed, hustle, will, determination & last, and no where near Sid - skill)
- The former Stars aligned last night - Morrow with a spectacular goal assisted from Juicy. Those of you standing on it, please get off Morrow's lawn 8-)
- Sutter & Geno taking defensive zone faceoffs are a concern. More Jussi and Sid there HCDB.
- Murray had defensive beast mode on last night. Lots of important blocks and some good recovery and even a couple nice offensive moves (wtf :shock: . was that DM?)
- Murray has taken many shot attempts as a Pen, but has only 5 registered shots! (he misses a lot). Longest current NHL goalless drought. DM is getting tons o'chances
- Bortuzzo lost his man on one Carolina goal (rookie move). Does this mean we will see Despres next game? Wait, I'll answer that...... No, we'll see Letang :P
- Loved seeing some skill on the 4th line, adds a new dimension that has been sorry lacking.
- Another opponent attempting to generate offense from behind the Pens net. Is this the book on the Pens? If so, get a new one, its not working
- Hate to see Jordan Staal struggle, but I didn't mind last night. Carolina has potential, but they are in shambles without Ward
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 40 vs. Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:09 am

I'd say Bortuzzo's net contribution to that game was at best 0. Where is Despres?

Bennett should be playing come playoff time. You don't lose anything by having him on that 4th over whoever you would be putting there and he is actually a threat to make something happen.

That was the best i've seen Murray move as a Penguin.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:10 am

They took the assist away from Glass. :lol:

Beau Bennett is a smooth Mofo.

Duper's setup for Bort was sick.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joopen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:10 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I'd say Bortuzzo's net contribution to that game was at best 0. Where is Despres?

Bennett should be playing come playoff time. You don't lose anything by having him on that 4th over whoever you would be putting there and he is actually a threat to make something happen.

When everyone is healthy that would either be TK or Glass. Meaning that won't happen. Unfortunate but the very probable truth.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:14 am

TK has one more point than CFA.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:16 am

Wow, I didn't realize his production was that anemic. Why is he still in the lineup?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:18 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Wow, I didn't realize his production was that anemic. Why is he still in the lineup?

"What do you expect for $2 million?"
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:19 am

-Game showed how much more effective Malkin is with a Jammer like kunitz on his wing.
-Morrow had his best game a pen, he is starting to be comfortable in the pens system, reacting more then thinking. Not just on the goal but other areas also. P
-Dupius really is showing that his play the past two years is more a result of him hitting another level as a player and less to do with crosby carrying him. He has just been outstanding.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby MarioLives on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:20 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Wow, I didn't realize his production was that anemic. Why is he still in the lineup?

He has been subpar for sure, but he tends to have some big goals in the playoffs. Hopefully he will this year as well. The reason why he is still in the line up is he reminds Bylsma how he was in his playing days.....
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:21 am

He's Bylsma's pet project. He's afraid to admit defeat by scratching TK.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:22 am

Gaucho wrote:They took the assist away from Glass. :lol:

Beau Bennett is a smooth Mofo.

Duper's setup for Bort was sick.

LOL, Glass is destined to go pointless on the league's highest scoring team.

Agreed, Bennett is like butter out there.

Duper's setup was sick, but I expect to hear that from the 3rd official member of the PDAS society :wink:
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:22 am

shafnutz05 wrote:

:pop: Dupuis makes $1.5 million, so lets say 25 goals plus 16 assists through 40 games.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:28 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

:pop: Dupuis makes $1.5 million, so lets say 25 goals plus 16 assists through 40 games.

There's a lot of things that Dupuis can't do...

..and that Bylsma's Little Tiger Grinder can do.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby headh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:30 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I'd say Bortuzzo's net contribution to that game was at best 0. Where is Despres?

Bennett's skill level is of the "can't miss" variety. I just question his strength and size right now. He has been knocked off of the puck fairly easily in some instances. I'd play him from here on out on one of the first three lines and make my determination based on how he looks during these last regular season games. I certainly wouldn't scratch him anymore.

If he looks good enough I'd put him with Sid and Neal when they return.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:34 am

darkstar57 wrote:-Game showed how much more effective Malkin is with a Jammer like kunitz on his wing.
-Morrow had his best game a pen, he is starting to be comfortable in the pens system, reacting more then thinking. Not just on the goal but other areas also. P
-Dupius really is showing that his play the past two years is more a result of him hitting another level as a player and less to do with crosby carrying him. He has just been outstanding.

- Neal tries to be physical (takes too many penalties) but he's more jelly than jam :face:
- Agreed, Morrow was good, short hard shifts all game long and that goal was sick
- Darkstar, its not too late to join the PDAS thread, the more the merrier.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:39 am

I'd love to see what Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett can do.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bwyant32 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:49 am

One trend I've been noticing has been giving up goals right off face offs. If we lose the draw, I would like to see a forward rush the points to prevent letting a Dman just walk right in and take an easy wrister.
bwyant32
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Beveridge on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:52 am

bwyant32 wrote:One trend I've been noticing has been giving up goals right off face offs. If we lose the draw, I would like to see a forward rush the points to prevent letting a Dman just walk right in and take an easy wrister.

I think we saw that more in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Also: The argument that Duper needs Sid..can we put it to rest? The guy is money playing with anyone. He is the definition of work.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:55 am

Beveridge wrote:
bwyant32 wrote:One trend I've been noticing has been giving up goals right off face offs. If we lose the draw, I would like to see a forward rush the points to prevent letting a Dman just walk right in and take an easy wrister.

Also: The argument that Duper needs Sid..can we put it to rest? The guy is money playing with anyone. He is the definition of work.

I'm not sure that was the argument, I think the argument is that he works perfectly with Crosby and Kunitz. Everyone doesn't work well with Crosby, and no matter how good Dupuis looks without Crosby, he's not a 40 goal scorer on another line. He's been playing like one with Crosby.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:57 am

Reading around K Muller challenged his team prior to the pens game; they responded until they had no reply.
The pens at 3-2 took the right road. :D
Flower was quoted as saying "he didn't know that the pens could clinch" or words to that effect .
GMRS bought us a bunch of toys; the last one is quite a player too; I like Jussi.
Where did Evgeni take the 6 shots he is credited with? Looked to be passing until his goal. ADT ;) Gene.
I think Tomas needs the start on Thursday.

Okay, I'll write it, 20 years later, time for a penguins v islanders series.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:01 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Beveridge wrote:

I'm not sure that was the argument, I think the argument is that he works perfectly with Crosby and Kunitz. Everyone doesn't work well with Crosby, and no matter how good Dupuis looks without Crosby, he's not a 40 goal scorer on another line. He's been playing like one with Crosby.

Good point

If I were King, I'd like to see the following lines when all healthy

Duper - Sid - Iggy
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Bennett
Cooke - Jussi - Adams

I still think a 4th line of TK Vitale and Adams would be the ultimate spaz line and the most frustrating 4th line in hockey to try and get anything going against.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:01 am

Beveridge wrote:

I was thinking the same thing last night. I don't want the guy to be taken off sids wing, but he does make any line better that he plays on. He could play a fourth line roll with jussi and bb and we would have a serious fourth line. something like:
iggy-sid-kunitz
morrow-geno-neal
cookie-sutter-tk
duperstar-jussi-bb

you could flip morrow with bb or duper with tk.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:04 am

:pop: If I were King, i'd just take the Stanley Cup for myself.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:05 am

@Bev

Mother of God.

That line-up is so stacked. Bylsma is an idiot for playing Kennedy over Bennett. Rookies can still play well in the playoffs Dannie.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:13 am

penny lane wrote:Reading around K Muller challenged his team prior to the pens game; they responded until they had no reply.
The pens at 3-2 took the right road. :D
Flower was quoted as saying "he didn't know that the pens could clinch" or words to that effect .
GMRS bought us a bunch of toys; the last one is quite a player too; I like Jussi.
Where did Evgeni take the 6 shots he is credited with? Looked to be passing until his goal. ADT ;) Gene.
I think Tomas needs the start on Thursday.

Okay, I'll write it, 20 years later, time for a penguins v islanders series.

How badly would the media beat that to death? My God, Pierre could plumb new depths of stupidity.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins