Game 40 vs. Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 40 vs. Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:31 am

Inkio wrote:
sil wrote:Jokinen doesn't have to play center...and that also doesn't mean that he couldn't take draws. To me, the best case scenario would be to see him play on a line WITH Sutter. One's a righty, the other a lefty, and both can win draws in the right situation...plus it gives them some added motivation to cheat in the dot.

Good thought there actually. Maybe put Morrow on the 2nd then and Bennett on the 4th for some skill on the 4th line.

So what you are saying is:

9-87-12
14-71-18
10-16-36
24-27-19
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:35 am

Gaucho wrote:Sutter is an outstanding shutdown center

i guess hockey nerds can attest to this, but this isn't apparent to the uninitiated. he's without question a defensively responsible center. possibly at a rare level. but he's neither quick nor particularly rangy (like staal was), so i don't know if i'd go as far to say he's an outstanding "shutdown center".
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Inkio on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:40 am

DelPen wrote:
Inkio wrote:
sil wrote:Jokinen doesn't have to play center...and that also doesn't mean that he couldn't take draws. To me, the best case scenario would be to see him play on a line WITH Sutter. One's a righty, the other a lefty, and both can win draws in the right situation...plus it gives them some added motivation to cheat in the dot.

Good thought there actually. Maybe put Morrow on the 2nd then and Bennett on the 4th for some skill on the 4th line.

So what you are saying is:

9-87-12
14-71-18
10-16-36
24-27-19

14-87-12
10-71-18
36-16-9
24-27-19

I have no clue how Cooke slipped under my radar in my past post. I gotta correct that hahaha.
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:49 am

headh wrote:
Gaucho wrote:So if you were an NHL GM and you were offered Jussi Jokinen for Brandon Sutter you'd do it?

That's an interesting question. It's a different point than what I was trying to express but I'll play. It depends on my team make up. If I felt it was time to win a cup right now and I was missing a skilled C in order to best position my team to win right now I'd take Jussi.

If I was betting on 3 to 5 seasons from now I'd take Sutter over JJ. Primarily because of who Sutter might become. He has size, pedigree and age on his side. He may be more physical but honestly his physicality or compete level don't jump out at me when I'm watching him play.

Today JJ is more skilled offensively and gives us a better chance to win big face offs, control the puck and score more goals.

Considering Sutter landed Staal and Jokinen just went through waivers unclaimed...I really question where you're coming from -- especially with only a 2 game sample from Jokinen.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:54 am

I don't really think thats a good argument. Also Sutter didn't land Staal, there was a whole lot more to that trade. I would definitely rather have Sutter though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:56 am

Josh Yohe @JoshYohe_Trib 2m
Just saw Jordan Staal outside Pens bus congratulating some old teammates on winning division. I suspect a bond will always exist there.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:58 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't really think thats a good argument. Also Sutter didn't land Staal, there was a whole lot more to that trade. I would definitely rather have Sutter though.

There was more to it, but Carolina is on record stating they did not want to part with Sutter. But, they had no problem waiving Jokinen. But, straight up -- no GM in the league would trade Sutter for Jokinen. I just don't see it.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Inkio on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:59 am

penny lane wrote:
Just saw Jordan Staal outside Pens bus congratulating some old teammates on winning division. I suspect a bond will always exist there.

Seeing him wear a Carolina jersey still makes me sad.
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby headh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:02 am

shmenguin wrote:

i guess hockey nerds can attest to this, but this isn't apparent to the uninitiated. he's without question a defensively responsible center. possibly at a rare level. but he's neither quick nor particularly rangy (like staal was), so i don't know if i'd go as far to say he's an outstanding "shutdown center".

Lol....exhibit A

http://www.shutdownline.com/hurricanes/ ... utter.html
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Beveridge on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:02 am

I'm going to drive the bus for trading engo's salary and buying out glass to sign Murray to at least a one year deal, maybe more if Nisky were to be moved.

Martin Orpik
Letang Murray
Despres Bort/Eaton/WBS or Junior guy that breaks through next year

All aboard?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:08 am

Beveridge wrote:I'm going to drive the bus for trading engo's salary and buying out glass to sign Murray to at least a one year deal, maybe more if Nisky were to be moved.

Martin Orpik
Letang Murray

All aboard?

I honestly can't see a reason why Niskanen stays on this team after this year. Great #5, nothing more. He can't handle top 4. He couldn't in Dallas either. Also, Bortuzzo looked alright in the offensive zone last night. I think he can replace some of what Nisky does there. Plus he's BIG BODY NA.

Martin Orpik - 1 more year
Letang Despres
Bortuzzo Murray?

I think Murray is signable, but not both of Morrow/Iginla.

seethisiswhyiwant GM THREAD NOW!!
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:10 am

penny lane wrote:

I also suspect he'll never win anything again in his career.

He'll also never top 55 points.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:11 am

Beveridge wrote:I'm going to drive the bus for trading engo's salary and buying out glass to sign Murray to at least a one year deal, maybe more if Nisky were to be moved.

Martin Orpik
Letang Murray

All aboard?

Can't we just put them in WBS? We will have $925K towards the Redden rule, we'd be on the hook for a $175K cap hit for Glass and nothing for Engellend. Makes no sense to buy Glass out.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:19 am

-I know no-one wants to hear this... but Iginla does not llook comfortable to me. I'd at least try him on Sid's RW to try to get the most from both him and Neal. Duper can contribute on any line.
-I get the Sutter/Jokinen discussion, JJ has more flash to his game but Sutter suits the shutdown role better. As suggested above, get them on the same line for total faceoff domination.
-It took Bennett one game on the 4th to prove BB>>>>ET. The kid contributes so much with very few mistakes I think he has to be included in a playoff lineup even if its only to adding skill to the 4th, but TK and Glass will never be scratched.
-Great goal by Morrow, I'd still like to see him with Geno and Neal to make the most of his attributes.
-Murray is a beast, so great to see what good (not fast) skating, anticipation, positioning and size can do. If he breaks that drought at home I imagine the house will come down!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:19 am

Sounds good to me, Bev.

Great game, at least the comeback at the end.

As always, Pens fans travel well. "Let's Go Pens" easily drowned out any attempted "Let's Go Canes." I would say 25% of the arena were Pens fans, although some could have been wearing the Canes' third jerseys. #sidewinder

PDAS in full effect. Would have got the topic trending, but mobile data during the game was abysmal. Dupuis was very noticeable in all areas of the ice.

At some point in the third, the Canes promotion team had a name that tune contest - Pitbull was the correct answer. I knew we had it in the bag.

I believe this is the first Penguins game I've seen in person (Pittsburgh, Greensboro, Raleigh, and Atlanta) that they've actually won. This dates back to 1987.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:21 am

Beveridge wrote:Junior guy that breaks through next year

Don't forget Dumoulin.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:22 am

DelPen wrote:

Martin Orpik
Letang Murray

All aboard?

Can't we just put them in WBS? We will have $925K towards the Redden rule, we'd be on the hook for a $175K cap hit for Glass and nothing for Engellend. Makes no sense to buy Glass out.

Compliance buyout doesn't leave us on the hook with anything.

I doubt shero will do it since next year won't have geno or letang's new contract on it if they stay but 1.1 could be useful other places than glass.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:22 am

nm
Last edited by Gaucho on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:25 am

DelPen wrote:

Martin Orpik
Letang Murray

All aboard?

The Redden rule doesn't exist under the new CBA, or so I recall
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 am

Gaucho wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Hm, I don't think we should be comparing him to Staal.

it was a microscopic comparison. off the top of my head, i couldn't think of other guys who are rangy but not necessarily quick. staal was kind of an arbitrary example.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:34 am

Luckybreak wrote:-I know no-one wants to hear this... but Iginla does not llook comfortable to me. I'd at least try him on Sid's RW to try to get the most from both him and Neal. Duper can contribute on any line.

I agree...maybe I had the blinders on before he got here but I was expecting Iggy to be a force. I mean, I definitely notice him out there on most shifts, and maybe theres another gear when the playoffs hit, and the injury issues we currently have certainly arn't helping, but I just expected domination. To me, Murray has been the best pickup so far.

I certainly hope we get everyone in a comfy spot before the playoffs start. This is one of the reasons I think Sid will come back as soon as he can. Its hard to judge because of all the injuries though, havn't really had a chance to see what HCDB and GMRS had in mind when they picked all these guys up at the deadline.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:-I know no-one wants to hear this... but Iginla does not llook comfortable to me. I'd at least try him on Sid's RW to try to get the most from both him and Neal. Duper can contribute on any line.

I agree...maybe I had the blinders on before he got here but I was expecting Iggy to be a force. I mean, I definitely notice him out there on most shifts, and maybe theres another gear when the playoffs hit, and the injury issues we currently have certainly arn't helping, but I just expected domination. To me, Murray has been the best pickup so far.

I certainly hope we get everyone in a comfy spot before the playoffs start. This is one of the reasons I think Sid will come back as soon as he can. Its hard to judge because of all the injuries though, havn't really had a chance to see what HCDB and GMRS had in mind when they picked all these guys up at the deadline.

Houdini Malkin is just bringing everyone down.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shakes on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:41 am

penny lane wrote:

He won a Cup with a lot of the guys still here, and that never goes away. But when it's all said and done, he'll miss the Pens way more than the Pens miss him. Same for Talbot.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby headh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:03 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:

His initiation wasn't exactly smooth what with playing on the wrong wind and in a different system. Now that he can play RW for 71 for a few games in a row he'll start to produce. He just needs time to adjust to the new system. He didn't forget how to play.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 pm

headh wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:

His initiation wasn't exactly smooth what with playing on the wrong wind and in a different system. Now that he can play RW for 71 for a few games in a row he'll start to produce. He just needs time to adjust to the new system. He didn't forget how to play.

I agree, and think pairing Iggy with Sid will work even better. Malkin's looked indecisive in many instances with Iggy, and vice versa. Malkin knows Neal well, and they both know what the other will do. I think Kunitz-Malkin-Neal and Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla will be the best lines going into May.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins