Game 40 vs. Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 40 vs. Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby pcmforless on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 am

DelPen wrote:
Inkio wrote:
sil wrote:Jokinen doesn't have to play center...and that also doesn't mean that he couldn't take draws. To me, the best case scenario would be to see him play on a line WITH Sutter. One's a righty, the other a lefty, and both can win draws in the right situation...plus it gives them some added motivation to cheat in the dot.

Good thought there actually. Maybe put Morrow on the 2nd then and Bennett on the 4th for some skill on the 4th line.

So what you are saying is:

9-87-12
14-71-18
10-16-36
24-27-19

That is the lineup I want to see for sure when everyone is healthy. That lineup=CUP
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:28 am

Looks good to me.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:42 am

I get positively giddy when I think about what this team will look like once we get all our missing pieces back and the new guys completely settle in and fully embrace their new identity as Penguins. (I notice that in interviews Iginla and Morrow still, on occasion, slip back into the use of “they” rather than “we” when referring to the team, and that’s perfectly understandable. It takes time to make that mental shift, particularly when you’ve only played for one team your entire career.) Over the next three weeks I expect to see further evidence of team cohesion and, I hope, at some point, Crosby’s return to the lineup. Then, let the march of the Penguins begin.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pens Fan Since 1970 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:03 pm

I was happy to see that the Hurricanes decided to become the Tropical Depressions for the last 10 minutes of the game.

Also note to FSN: Must we see the footage of Jeff Skinner from when he was a figure skater every time we play this team?
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Pens Fan Since 1970 wrote:Also note to FSN: Must we see the footage of Jeff Skinner from when he was a figure skater every time we play this team?

Johhny Weir wrote:YES!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:18 pm

TrueNorth wrote:I get positively giddy when I think about what this team will look like once we get all our missing pieces back and the new guys completely settle in and fully embrace their new identity as Penguins. (I notice that in interviews Iginla and Morrow still, on occasion, slip back into the use of “they” rather than “we” when referring to the team, and that’s perfectly understandable. It takes time to make that mental shift, particularly when you’ve only played for one team your entire career.) Over the next three weeks I expect to see further evidence of team cohesion and, I hope, at some point, Crosby’s return to the lineup. Then, let the march of the Penguins begin.

Jokinen sounds like he's moved on pretty fast
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:19 pm

Skinner = Jimmy McElroy

Douglas Murray = Chazz Michael Michaels
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby headh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:38 pm

DelPen wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:I get positively giddy when I think about what this team will look like once we get all our missing pieces back and the new guys completely settle in and fully embrace their new identity as Penguins. (I notice that in interviews Iginla and Morrow still, on occasion, slip back into the use of “they” rather than “we” when referring to the team, and that’s perfectly understandable. It takes time to make that mental shift, particularly when you’ve only played for one team your entire career.) Over the next three weeks I expect to see further evidence of team cohesion and, I hope, at some point, Crosby’s return to the lineup. Then, let the march of the Penguins begin.

Jokinen sounds like he's moved on pretty fast

I think he was relegated to crap duty with a crap team. He knows...not thinks....but knows he's better than that. He is now being utilized in a manner that makes sense. He centered our second best line yesterday to clinch the division. That's the polar opposite of crap duty with a crap team. I fully understand why it was easy for him to move on pretty fast....lol
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby phi83mark on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Jordan Staal really just didn't look interested last night. He barely celebrated on Carolina's first goal. Definitely just looked like he was going through the motions. Bourque mentioned on the radio that he thinks the losing has really gotten to him.
phi83mark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:52 pm

phi83mark wrote:Bourque mentioned on the radio that he thinks the losing has really gotten to him.

Oh well.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby phi83mark on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:53 pm

columbia wrote:
phi83mark wrote:Bourque mentioned on the radio that he thinks the losing has really gotten to him.

Oh well.

My thoughts exactly!
phi83mark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby TrueNorth on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:09 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:-I know no-one wants to hear this... but Iginla does not llook comfortable to me. I'd at least try him on Sid's RW to try to get the most from both him and Neal. Duper can contribute on any line.

I agree...maybe I had the blinders on before he got here but I was expecting Iggy to be a force. I mean, I definitely notice him out there on most shifts, and maybe theres another gear when the playoffs hit, and the injury issues we currently have certainly arn't helping, but I just expected domination. To me, Murray has been the best pickup so far.

I certainly hope we get everyone in a comfy spot before the playoffs start. This is one of the reasons I think Sid will come back as soon as he can. Its hard to judge because of all the injuries though, havn't really had a chance to see what HCDB and GMRS had in mind when they picked all these guys up at the deadline.

I keep reminding myself that Malkin and Neal didn’t have instant chemistry; they were a work in progress for some time before things gelled, and then they were lights out. I think the order of the day here is patience, assuming Bylsma is planning to keep Iginla on Malkin’s line. He has said in the recent past that he isn't looking to break up the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line, but who knows.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:21 pm

phi83mark wrote:Jordan Staal really just didn't look interested last night. He barely celebrated on Carolina's first goal. Definitely just looked like he was going through the motions. Bourque mentioned on the radio that he thinks the losing has really gotten to him.

Of course. He didn't score.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Staal is really going to hate life next year when he isn't in that division of crappiness and they will have to beat all of the top teams in the east to have a chance at the playoffs.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby nastystang05 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:28 pm

headh wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I'd say Bortuzzo's net contribution to that game was at best 0. Where is Despres?

Bennett should be playing come playoff time. You don't lose anything by having him on that 4th over whoever you would be putting there and he is actually a threat to make something happen.

That was the best i've seen Murray move as a Penguin.

Bennett's skill level is of the "can't miss" variety. I just question his strength and size right now. He has been knocked off of the puck fairly easily in some instances. I'd play him from here on out on one of the first three lines and make my determination based on how he looks during these last regular season games. I certainly wouldn't scratch him anymore.

If he looks good enough I'd put him with Sid and Neal when they return.

He has also dished out some pretty sick hits too. Give him some seasoning first. Let him fill his frame out a little more. He is still quite young.
nastystang05
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:30 pm

TrueNorth wrote:I keep reminding myself that Malkin and Neal didn’t have instant chemistry; they were a work in progress for some time before things gelled, and then they were lights out.

i'm pretty sure neal came out guns blazing last year right off the bat. i don't recall any learning curve with him and malkin.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:31 pm

columbia wrote:

Oh well.

Agree. That's what happens when you go from a team with a winning history to one with a losing history -- even if your brother plays there.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:32 pm

shmenguin wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:I keep reminding myself that Malkin and Neal didn’t have instant chemistry; they were a work in progress for some time before things gelled, and then they were lights out.

i'm pretty sure neal came out guns blazing last year right off the bat. i don't recall any learning curve with him and malkin.

Yup. 9 goals in 13 games in October.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nastystang05 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:38 pm

14-87-9
12-71-18
24-16-48
10-36-19

Assuming we are healthy.
nastystang05
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Neal didn't have instant, nor ANY, chemistry with Mark Letestu and Dustin Jeffrey his first few months here.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NeddieVedder on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Crosby and Hossa though, a dream team if there ever was one, didn't start lighting it up until round 2 of the playoffs.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Well I'm not sure if they even played 5 full games together in the regular season and we whooped Ottawa in 4 (5?) games, so that makes sense.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:57 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I stand corrected. I was forgetting that, when Neal came on board, Malkin was out with a knee injury. I remembered that Neal was slow to get started (1 goal in 20 games that season) and was thinking that he was playing with Malkin at the time. Clearly, I need to start looking into memory enhancement drugs; there’s been some slippage.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:08 pm

TrueNorth wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I stand corrected. I was forgetting that, when Neal came on board, Malkin was out with a knee injury. I remembered that Neal was slow to get started (1 goal in 20 games that season) and was thinking that he was playing with Malkin at the time. Clearly, I need to start looking into memory enhancement drugs; there’s been some slippage.

Or lay off other drugs to improve current memory. :pop:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TrueNorth on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:10 pm

sil wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Or lay off other drugs to improve current memory. :pop:

Never.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins