Rank the impact of the new acquisitions

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

It's been a week, who has had the biggest impact?

Brenden Morrow
5%
Douglas Murray
51%
Jarome Iginla
6%
Jussi Jokinen
39%

Total votes : 83

Rank the impact of the new acquisitions

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:39 pm

So, it's been a week since the trade deadline and two since the start of GMRS going all in. Who has had the biggest impact on the team (independent of what was given up for them)?

How about going forward and more importantly in the playoffs?

I think with the versatily that Jussi has he could be considered the biggest impact player, but I'd put him second behind Murray. Murray is exactly what we needed on the defensive front.

I'd probably go:
1) Murray
2) Jokinen
3) Morrow
4) Iginla

And I think come playoff time it's possible that the order is the complete reverse.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Rank the impact of the new acquisitions

Postby headh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Jussi. Two points in two games. One game winning goal.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jwest21 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:56 pm

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:So, it's been a week since the trade deadline and two since the start of GMRS going all in. Who has had the biggest impact on the team (independent of what was given up for them)?

How about going forward and more importantly in the playoffs?

I think with the versatily that Jussi has he could be considered the biggest impact player, but I'd put him second behind Murray. Murray is exactly what we needed on the defensive front.

I'd probably go:
1) Murray
2) Jokinen
3) Morrow
4) Iginla

And I think come playoff time it's possible that the order is the complete reverse.

I think Iginla and Morrow could be interchangeable on your list up to this point. Oddly enough, if I was asked to rank them the day of the trades, I would have gone with the exact reverse of your list.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:42 am

Does GMRS still make the Jussi trade if Sid doesn't get injured ?

Article below from PG and D Molinari on new player adjustment. :D

"I don't think I'm shooting quite enough," Iginla said. "That's part of what helps to makes me successful. You try to find your game within [the team framework]."

Iginla, like Morrow, had a strong showing against the Hurricanes, calling it "one of the most comfortable games I've had yet, where you just feel like it's more normal on the ice."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2Q9qgr4Kz
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:57 am

IGINLAKAROVSKY
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:09 am

it is clear, even to fire drill maniacs like myself, that you have to wait for players to sink into their new team and teammates. Every job, every sport, every hobby, whatever, it takes time to gel. I think Shero's moving before the deadline was also to get people as much time as possible to gel.

Iginla simply has to start taking his opportunities but I think he is going to shine in the playoffs. Let me do a 'forecast' ranking of importance:
1) Murray 2) Iginla 3) Jussi 4) Morrow.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:32 am

With the stuff I've been seeing him do away from the puck...I voted for Morrow.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby k0la on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:37 am

I do think Iginla will be very valuable. But Jussi could have a large impact the way Adams and Talbot had a large impact simply by being able to get us some extra offense from those lines and winning important faceoffs. Morrow would have had a much larger impact if the deal for Iginla never happened.

So I expect it to end up like this
1)Iginla
2)Jussi
3)Murray
4)Morrow
but right now Igina is two spots down from where he should be

That said. All 4 are good upgrades
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:39 am

Best bang their buck:
Jussi Jokinen (of course small sample size but still an immediate impact)

Best bang:
Douglas Murray

Morrow looked good last game, let's hope it continues. Iggy still hasn't found his place on the team but hasn't been a liability and at times you can see his talent.

I am expecting Iggy and Morrow to shine in the playoffs (as they should).

All in all, I am happy with the acquisitions considering the lineup shuffle due to injury.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Desiato on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:53 am

Murray has addressed the team's greatest need. The Pens have needed a truly intimidating every day player for years. He has the opposition looking over their shoulders.

Morrow has addressed the team's second greatest need. No, he's not fast and his hands aren't what they used to be, but he's clearly a warrior who will sacrifice in ways other Penguins are either unable to or unwilling to in front of the net. He'll get in the faces of opponents and win stare downs. He'll do the dirty work.

Jokinen is the new flavor of the week after having an immediate impact, but will he keep it up? I sure hope so, but he's always been an inconsistent player with sparks of brilliance. The good news is that the Pens obtained him for face offs and sparks of brilliance now and then, so that's fine.

I believed from the start Iginla would have the hardest time fitting in. He's been the go-to guy on his team for 15 years. Despite that, on that team he was only average compared to his peers this year. I still say I'd like to see what he can do playing as the go-to guy on a line with Sutter. He remains a great pick up for the price paid; the depth he provides is paying off immediately with the injury to Neal. He's going to pick it up, but I don't think he's going to be the superstar some people here expect.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:19 am

Based on what I perceived to be the Pens greatest playoff weakness (highlighted by the Philly series) I voted for Murray. He's exactly what was needed and has exceeded my expectations by adapting to the system whilst covering for the Letang and Martin injuries. We know what we've got and I hope he is re-signed.

Jussi's faceoff domination is more key than the points he's scored, though I think he has had more personal motivation and perhaps more to prove than Morrow or Iginla given his passage through waivers. He adds outstanding depth for the Cup run but doubt he stays on the team given the cap and hints that Iggy *might* want to stay.

I have no doubt that Morrow's physical play will wreak havoc over 7 games, though I maintain he'd be more effective as Geno's LW with Neal playing the 'shooter' role.

Finally there's Iginla who, at least statistically, had the smallest impact. Personally I don't think Bylsma did the right thing bumping Morrow, trying to get Iggy to play LW then forcing Neal to the LW. A new system, new position, then familiar position with a struggling center and displaced winger are not a recipe for success. Kunitz will stabilise the line but what will happen when Sid and Neal return from their respective injuries? Most importantly I want to see Iginla raise the Cup more than any other Pen (new or old).
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:22 am

Jokinen definitely but this is the best he will possibly play for us. Hope he keeps it up.

Murray can still be more effective especially in a playoff series when people play with more emotion. We will see more idiots like Boyle who don;t like getting hit try to prove they are tough and keep going at him and will keep failing.

Morrow is settling in as a good depth player, I expected a bit more though. But last couple games he has finally started to find his game.

Iginla needs to play better. New team, new center, etc., but the honeymoon is almost over. But he has an incredibly high ceiling.

So #/# where current level vs potential level is:

Jokinen 5/5
Murray 6/7
Morrow 3/6
Iginla 3/10
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:22 am

Desiato wrote:Murray has addressed the team's greatest need. The Pens have needed a truly intimidating every day player for years. He has the opposition looking over their shoulders.

Morrow has addressed the team's second greatest need. No, he's not fast and his hands aren't what they used to be, but he's clearly a warrior who will sacrifice in ways other Penguins are either unable to or unwilling to in front of the net. He'll get in the faces of opponents and win stare downs. He'll do the dirty work.

Jokinen is the new flavor of the week after having an immediate impact, but will he keep it up? I sure hope so, but he's always been an inconsistent player with sparks of brilliance. The good news is that the Pens obtained him for face offs and sparks of brilliance now and then, so that's fine.

I believed from the start Iginla would have the hardest time fitting in. He's been the go-to guy on his team for 15 years. Despite that, on that team he was only average compared to his peers this year. I still say I'd like to see what he can do playing as the go-to guy on a line with Sutter. He remains a great pick up for the price paid; the depth he provides is paying off immediately with the injury to Neal. He's going to pick it up, but I don't think he's going to be the superstar some people here expect.

I agree with all your points, very similar to what I was just typing whilst you were posting! I really hope that Bylsma can find chemistry with the top 6 though I hate seeing so many players out of their natural/successful positions.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:34 am

Impact as of now?

1. Murray
2. Jokinen
3. Morrow
4. Iggy

What I expect in playoffs? (Rough comparisons of recent years)

1. Iggy (Mix of Hossa / Guerin)
2. Murray (Gill)
3. Morrow (Roberts)
4. Jokinen (Adams, Satan type mix)
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby headh on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:37 am

Luckybreak wrote:Based on what I perceived to be the Pens greatest playoff weakness (highlighted by the Philly series) I voted for Murray. He's exactly what was needed and has exceeded my expectations by adapting to the system whilst covering for the Letang and Martin injuries. We know what we've got and I hope he is re-signed.

Jussi's faceoff domination is more key than the points he's scored, though I think he has had more personal motivation and perhaps more to prove than Morrow or Iginla given his passage through waivers. He adds outstanding depth for the Cup run but doubt he stays on the team given the cap and hints that Iggy *might* want to stay.

I have no doubt that Morrow's physical play will wreak havoc over 7 games, though I maintain he'd be more effective as Geno's LW with Neal playing the 'shooter' role.

Finally there's Iginla who, at least statistically, had the smallest impact. Personally I don't think Bylsma did the right thing bumping Morrow, trying to get Iggy to play LW then forcing Neal to the LW. A new system, new position, then familiar position with a struggling center and displaced winger are not a recipe for success. Kunitz will stabilise the line but what will happen when Sid and Neal return from their respective injuries? Most importantly I want to see Iginla raise the Cup more than any other Pen (new or old).

I agree with every syllable of this post. Finding the correct chemistry among the overwhelming talent and significant role players appears to be the biggest challenge and mystery for the remainder of this season and into the playoffs.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:54 am

headh wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:Based on what I perceived to be the Pens greatest playoff weakness (highlighted by the Philly series) I voted for Murray. He's exactly what was needed and has exceeded my expectations by adapting to the system whilst covering for the Letang and Martin injuries. We know what we've got and I hope he is re-signed.

I agree with every syllable of this post. Finding the correct chemistry among the overwhelming talent and significant role players appears to be the biggest challenge and mystery for the remainder of this season and into the playoffs.

The chemistry challenge is an exciting one to have - I know certain players (eg Dupuis, Jokinen) can fit virtually anywhere, but others (Neal, Iginla) have to be comfortable to really get the most out of them - I hope they have enough time post injury to get into a good rhythm (and that Bylsma can maximise their success in the lineup, something I'm uncertain on so far).
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:00 am

1) Morrow - Because it kicked Kennedy off the 3rd line for a period of time.
2) Jokinen - Because it kicked Kennedy out of being a temp center for the top 3 lines.
3) Iginla - Because it was another spot filled in the top 9 that increases the chances of Kennedy not playing in the top 9.
4) Murray - Hopefully he will miss one day and knock out Kennedy for the rest of the season.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:04 am

Nizzy wrote:1) Morrow - Because it kicked Kennedy off the 3rd line for a period of time.
2) Jokinen - Because it kicked Kennedy out of being a temp center for the top 3 lines.
3) Iginla - Because it was another spot filled in the top 9 that increases the chances of Kennedy not playing in the top 9.
4) Murray - Hopefully he will miss one day and knock out Kennedy for the rest of the season.

Ahhh, don't be mean to our Little Tiger, you know he's a 'playoff performer'!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:59 am

Nizzy wrote:1) Morrow - Because it kicked Kennedy off the 3rd line for a period of time.

lolololololol :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:27 pm

I don't think we should pigeon these new guys into slots from the past. Mostly the forwards; Crankshaft is as advertised, plus more. Morrow has the play off experience, Jarome, not as much. I am as excited to see how these guys and the rookies, Despres, BB play with the added pressure. And of course, return of Sid!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:37 pm

DelPen wrote:

Jokinen 5/5
Murray 6/7
Morrow 3/6
Iginla 3/10

I'd tweak this only slightly because I think JJ has had the greatest impact, but it essentially goes back to one big game where he may have been the difference between two points and zero points. His potential goes down in the playoffs when shootouts are eliminated. If this were the first week of camp, or if we were in a race, that would matter a lot more. I go with something like:

Jokinen 6/6
Murray 6/8
Morrow 4/7
Iginla 3/10
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:40 pm

penny lane wrote:I don't think we should pigeon these new guys into slots from the past. Mostly the forwards; Crankshaft is as advertised, plus more. Morrow has the play off experience, Jarome, not as much. I am as excited to see how these guys and the rookies, Despres, BB play with the added pressure. And of course, return of Sid!

What do you mean Jarome Iginla doesn't have as much playoff experience as Brendan Morrow?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:47 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Jokinen 5/5
Murray 6/7
Morrow 3/6
Iginla 3/10

I'd tweak this only slightly because I think JJ has had the greatest impact, but it essentially goes back to one big game where he may have been the difference between two points and zero points. His potential goes down in the playoffs when shootouts are eliminated. If this were the first week of camp, or if we were in a race, that would matter a lot more. I go with something like:

Jokinen 6/6
Murray 6/8
Morrow 4/7
Iginla 3/10

Murray's been great, but I think its pretty obvious he's at the top of his game right?

I'd go
Jokinen 6/6
Murray 8/8
Morrow 4/7
Iggy 3/10
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:21 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
penny lane wrote:I don't think we should pigeon these new guys into slots from the past. Mostly the forwards; Crankshaft is as advertised, plus more. Morrow has the play off experience, Jarome, not as much. I am as excited to see how these guys and the rookies, Despres, BB play with the added pressure. And of course, return of Sid!

What do you mean Jarome Iginla doesn't have as much playoff experience as Brendan Morrow?

I can easily admit I am wrong about something, and I was. :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Southern Fan on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:42 pm

Locker room presence can't be evaluated yet I can't foresee these guys will allow a repeat of the flyer mental meltdown of last year
Southern Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins