A Closer Look at the Players Shero Acquired

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: A Closer Look at the Players Shero Acquired

Postby sil on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:53 pm

I was just going to say, Godric had to be mistaken or was being sarcastic. Anyone who says Kennedy is 10000000x a better playmaker than Bennett would lose a staring contest to a blind man.

That being said. I still start Kennedy in the playoffs. A few games go by and he isn't chipping any in...bring in the BB.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:55 pm

sil wrote: Anyone who says Kennedy is 10000000x a better playmaker than Bennett would lose a staring contest to a blind man.

Admit it, you're secretly hoping for LGP Member of the Day status.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slipshod on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:03 pm

slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Nizzy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Gaucho wrote:Well, TK has speed.

This reminds me of a post from after a Pens game with Erik Christensen.

"Well...at least he can skate"
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:14 pm

Nizzy wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Well, TK has speed.

This reminds me of a post from after a Pens game with Erik Christensen.

"Well...at least he can skate"

I hope you detected my lack of enthusiasm.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:14 pm

Godric wrote:He is more consistent... a 10000000x better playmaker and he is the way better back checker as well.

now that we've settled which way is up....this is still a little dubious.

bennett's a better playmaker, of course. let's get that out of the way. "way better backchecker" is a silly, though. it's not much of an art form for these types of players - either they do it, or they don't. and as far as i can tell, they both do it. and i'd avoid touting the consistency of a guy who has been in the league for 5 minutes. kennedy's had a rockey season, but he has a history of being remarkably consistent.

overall, bennett looks really, really good. i'm not going to complain if they ever put him in the lineup over tk. but it's not really a slam dunk. especially considering kennedy's playoff history. which is nothing to sneeze at.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:15 pm

If LTGK (Little Tiger Grinder Kennedy) made 750k and played on the 4th line winger, I'd be his biggest fan. This kid rode off Staal for 5 seasons. His little tiger grinding style is only effective at 10ft of the rink is all that Staal needed. Someone quick to cycle the puck with him.

I really thought Jordan and Skinner would be scoring a lot in Carolina together. Maybe another season together. Skinner is just like Kennedy, but can score 20 more goals per year.

I'd rather have Andy Hilbert for 2.0M than LTGK.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 pm

I wouldn't expect to see Bennett playing over Kennedy on the 4th line.
Having said that, Glass might be in there over both.

BB's time will come and it is not as checking winger.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:18 pm

So what you're saying, Nizzy, is that there's nothing wrong with TK except for his contract.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:20 pm

columbia wrote:BB's time will come and it is not as checking winger.

i suppose. but i floated the idea of our bottom 2 lines being something like:

morrow - jokinen - bennett
cooke - sutter - tk

while it's maybe not the best idea to load up on offense at the expense of adams and glass, playing TK and Bennett in their spots isn't exactly like putting sykora and satan out there. they both play 2-way games and have no issue getting dirty.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:35 pm

MRandall25 wrote:So what you're saying, Nizzy, is that there's nothing wrong with TK except for his contract.

Honestly, yes + his playing location (3rd line)

I think he's a legit 4th line talent, nothing more. I never said he wasn't a NHL player. Jordan Staal was a big body that took up space, and allowed TK some decent space at times.

TK isn't the worth problem in the world. I think he would be noticed more on the 4th line, as it would fit him better. Maybe some less minutes = more with LTGK?

It's just going to impossible to keep him next year with the cap. He's not worth 1.5+. He hasn't improved any area of his game from 4 years ago. Honestly, the best thing for the situation would be for TK to score like 8 goals in this playoff run or something sick, and then let some dumb team like Phoenix pay him 2.5M per.

BB on that entry level contract next year in the top 9 will be clutch for signing Morrow/Iggy for another 1-2 years.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Nizzy wrote:If LTGK (Little Tiger Grinder Kennedy) made 750k and played on the 4th line winger, I'd be his biggest fan. This kid rode off Staal for 5 seasons. His little tiger grinding style is only effective at 10ft of the rink is all that Staal needed. Someone quick to cycle the puck with him.

I really thought Jordan and Skinner would be scoring a lot in Carolina together. Maybe another season together. Skinner is just like Kennedy, but can score 20 more goals per year.

At this point of this season, salary cap hit means nothing. So, with that being said, if you'd take TK at $700k for the fourth line, what's the difference if he makes $2 mil. on the fourth line? The Pens have excess cap space and he has not hindered them from adding any players.

I'm not a fan of TK, but I don't understand this line of thinking, nor do I understand the line of thinking that there is no way he should dress in the playoffs. Like others on the team, he'll get the initial nod because of experience. He has earned that and because of that, he stands a better chance of helping in the high-pressure playoffs. That said, if he falters, BB will be knocking on the door and should get a chance relatively quickly -- at which point, he'll earn his experience and will solidify his spot in the future.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:39 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Nizzy wrote:If LTGK (Little Tiger Grinder Kennedy) made 750k and played on the 4th line winger, I'd be his biggest fan. This kid rode off Staal for 5 seasons. His little tiger grinding style is only effective at 10ft of the rink is all that Staal needed. Someone quick to cycle the puck with him.

At this point of this season, salary cap hit means nothing. So, with that being said, if you'd take TK at $700k for the fourth line, what's the difference if he makes $2 mil. on the fourth line? The Pens have excess cap space and he has not hindered them from adding any players.

I'm not a fan of TK, but I don't understand this line of thinking, nor do I understand the line of thinking that there is no way he should dress in the playoffs. Like others on the team, he'll get the initial nod because of experience. He has earned that and because of that, he stands a better chance of helping in the high-pressure playoffs. That said, if he falters, BB will be knocking on the door and should get a chance relatively quickly -- at which point, he'll earn his experience and will solidify his spot in the future.

Because HCDB is still putting TK over BB in the top 9.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Defence21 wrote:I'm not a fan of TK, but I don't understand this line of thinking, nor do I understand the line of thinking that there is no way he should dress in the playoffs. Like others on the team, he'll get the initial nod because of experience. He has earned that and because of that, he stands a better chance of helping in the high-pressure playoffs. That said, if he falters, BB will be knocking on the door and should get a chance relatively quickly -- at which point, he'll earn his experience and will solidify his spot in the future.

but the truth is so boooooring
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:05 pm

I thought this thread was going to be zoomed-in pictures of each new player. I am disappointed
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:15 pm

This is murray's nose:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slipshod on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:29 pm

lol
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Locks at forward (if healthy): Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Iginla, Morrow, Sutter, Cooke, Jokinen. thats 10 guys, 4 penalty killers. One more must be a penalty killer, likely Adams or Glass. Deal with it. Jokinen probably keeps Vitale out of the lineup. one of TK or BB gets the last spot. I don't see how both can play without short changing the PK.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Headshot77 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Tico Rick wrote:This is murray's nose:

:thumb: We need more of this, pronto.
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GreenLantern on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:14 pm

I have always wondered from an outside perspective why Tyler Kennedy is playing on anything but the 4th line.. good to see it wasn't just an outsiders perspective.

Jarmoe Imgla brings a lot more to the table than what you will see on the ice. He is a born leader, people respect him no matter which side of the ice they are on. Jarome's true value comes in the dressing room. Classy player that will boost the confidence of those around him and just make them want to play harder.

The other area Iggy is going to boost the Pens is on the physical side. I was really hoping the Pens would meet up with a team that has given them physical problems before in the playoffs, because that is exactly where Iggy will thrive. A lot of teams in the past have had the strategy of don't wake him up, don't hit him, don't trash talk him and whatever you do don't piss him off. I suspect a lot of players out east here won't be used to playing against Iggy as much and will make that mistake a few times through out the playoffs. Then you are all in for a real treat :)
GreenLantern

Postby headh on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Nizzy wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Because HCDB is still putting TK over BB in the top 9.

This isn't even true

last combinations were

14-36-iggy
10-9-19
24-16-48
glass- vitale - adams
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby slipshod on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:53 pm

GreenLantern wrote:I have always wondered from an outside perspective why Tyler Kennedy is playing on anything but the 4th line.. good to see it wasn't just an outsiders perspective.

Jarmoe Imgla brings a lot more to the table than what you will see on the ice. He is a born leader, people respect him no matter which side of the ice they are on. Jarome's true value comes in the dressing room. Classy player that will boost the confidence of those around him and just make them want to play harder.

The other area Iggy is going to boost the Pens is on the physical side. I was really hoping the Pens would meet up with a team that has given them physical problems before in the playoffs, because that is exactly where Iggy will thrive. A lot of teams in the past have had the strategy of don't wake him up, don't hit him, don't trash talk him and whatever you do don't piss him off. I suspect a lot of players out east here won't be used to playing against Iggy as much and will make that mistake a few times through out the playoffs. Then you are all in for a real treat :)

Oh I hope so. A mean streak is what I have NOT seen from him at all (I really didn't get to see him much in Calgary other than the finals years ago). I want to see him out there wrecking people and taking over. He had one shift last game where he was all over the ice in control of the puck the whole time. I think he is trying still trying to figure out his spots to assert himself but I want to see his "Battle level" up a few notches.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:41 pm

The best player Shero got was Eaton. Yeah the trades of players who wanted to be here. Jussi and Dougie were solid additions that is for sure. But picking a guy who was pretty much sitting on his couch hoping a team would call has got to be his best move this year.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:42 pm

For ROI, yeah, it's Eaton for sure.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:43 pm

slipshod wrote:Image