Game 41 vs. Bolts - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 41 vs. Bolts - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
sil wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
columbia wrote:Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Jokinen
Cooke - don't - care

That may be the worst 3rd line in the history of hockey. None of those guys possess any speed at all and it would be your shut-down cycling line?

Hmm. Interesting to see such drastic difference of opinions, because that third line, to me, would be about as good as we could hope for.

I don't think of shut-down and cycling as the same thing. Cycling is an offensive mindset. "shut-down" is a defensive mindset.

I get what you're saying but I look at the way Staal-Kennedy-Cooke worked the past several years. Use your speed to cause havoc and then play keep-away. Last year they could cycle a puck for an insane amount of time and the offensive weapons never had a chance to tee it up, hence they shut them down. I think your 4th line, which is typically a checking line also, by default, becomes a shut down line. You need one line that plays keep away and is excellent at harassment. Dupuis worked very well in that role when he came here. Speed and puck-possession are the biggest weapons on the 3rd line.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:16 pm

the staal line wasn't a cycling line last year. they were in 2009 and maybe 2010, but at some point, that came to a halt.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby marek on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:54 pm

One can only imagine what would be going on right now if brooks didn't take that shot and Martin wasn't broken either... The new guys are settling in nicely... GMRS is clearly a very bright man
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:56 pm

I don't think Jussi is a penguin, if Sid is playing. A whole lot of good if Sid continued along, but fate stepped in and boom GMRS makes another deal.

I read today that Hedman is injured; I wonder where that big body was last night.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:39 pm

penny lane wrote:I don't think Jussi is a penguin, if Sid is playing. A whole lot of good if Sid continued along, but fate stepped in and boom GMRS makes another deal.

I read today that Hedman is injured; I wonder where that big body was last night.

That's interesting. I'm thinking he was shopping for a faceoff guy like JJ even if Sid was playing. Maybe we'll find out after the season.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:42 pm

The way GMRS was shopping for depth, giving up a 7th for Jussi was in the cards even if Sid was playing. IMO

Jussi is still under contract past this year and with so many wingers due for contracts, this gives GMRS another option.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:The way GMRS was shopping for depth, giving up a 7th for Jussi was in the cards even if Sid was playing. IMO

Jussi is still under contract past this year and with so many wingers due for contracts, this gives GMRS another option.

It's definitely an unknown; one certainly can't say that Shero only traded for him, because Crosby got hurt.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:49 pm

One of the articles after the trade mentioned that they were looking at JJ when he went on waivers, which I think was before Crosby broke his jaw.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Our team was missing a Finn. Finns are clutch because they bring sisu. Google it. It's awesomeness.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:03 pm

For people that have been unimpressed by Sutter, what doesn't he do that you guys feel let down? Because I think he has done everything he's been asked to do and his point production has been fine considering TK isn't scoring and neither is Cooke.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Rylan wrote:For people that have been unimpressed by Sutter, what doesn't he do that you guys feel let down? Because I think he has done everything he's been asked to do and his point production has been fine considering TK isn't scoring and neither is Cooke.

That leads to a weird circular argument, because it's reasonable to say that TK and MC would score more with a better - aka Staal - center.
Then again, Sutter would be on the score sheet more, if he had better wingers......of course we're talking pre-trade bananza, as far as lines.

I'm perfectly happy with Sutter and he's performed as should have been expected.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:14 pm

71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Desiato on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:23 pm

Rylan wrote:For people that have been unimpressed by Sutter, what doesn't he do that you guys feel let down? Because I think he has done everything he's been asked to do and his point production has been fine considering TK isn't scoring and neither is Cooke.

It has nothing to do with how Sutter has played, and everything to do with a new guy who has put up some points in his first couple of games. Imaginations go wild. Just like they do when a rookie shows potential or puts up some points. Players like kraft, koltsov, tangradi, etc have all been that guy.

I'm old and jaded, so it happens less often these days. But I remember feeling that way about park, roche, maciver, etc in the past.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:27 pm

I am amazed that dupuis can play on any line and pump in some energy. Kind of like a poor mans crosby seems to make any line better.
I would like to see him with sutter or malkin and see how it changes their game.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Antonio on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:30 pm

DelPen wrote:Bennett looked good before with Malkin and Neal so...

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

Pretty much solves every single problem that could come up on the forwards.

This 100%.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:29 pm

sutter's a surprisingly poor skater, which makes his him somewhat of an ineffective forechecker. his penalty killing acumen isn't really what i expected either...which probably has something to do with, again, his limited ability to cover the ice. he has a nice shot, which has allowed him to convert his scoring chances effectively, but he's not someone who's going to be able to get into those positions very often.

i think he might be a victim of hype. i heard a lot of great things about sutter in the offseason, so i expected more than a garden variety 3rd line center. that may be my fault for being under-informed.

but like someone said, it's not so much a matter of him being demoted due to poor performance - i just think there may be better options.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:22 pm

Or perhaps people saw Staal, and since Sutter isn't Staal, their expectations were too high?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:57 am

My problem with Sutter is that I don't think he's all that great in the defensive zone. I mean he's not terrible, but I wouldn't call him great or stellar or anything like that. However, I guess he's only making 2 mil a year and so I should expect him to play on the level of Cooke and TK and perhaps he is.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:05 pm

It baffles me that with all the injuries, including our top 2 centers, Blysma continues to keep Cooke-Sutter-TK together, when they have been totally ineffective as a line. They're the Penguins #2 line combo (in terms of playing time) by a wide margin, and yet have scored less than 7 goals playing together.

It's like Blysma thinks Sutter is Staal and that they'll somehow rekindle the magic from the cup run. I don't get it. I think Sutter is a fine 3rd line center; but he plays the game differently than Staal. He needs different linemates.

He and Kennedy neutralize each other's effectiveness. Sutter is a smart player, but he's not especially gifted the way Staal was. He needs someone who can think the game, not someone who just motors.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:10 pm

pcm wrote:It baffles me that with all the injuries, including our top 2 centers, Blysma continues to keep Cooke-Sutter-TK together, when they have been totally ineffective as a line. They're the Penguins #2 line combo (in terms of playing time) by a wide margin, and yet have scored less than 7 goals playing together.

It's like Blysma thinks Sutter is Staal and that they'll somehow rekindle the magic from the cup run. I don't get it. I think Sutter is a fine 3rd line center; but he plays the game differently than Staal. He needs different linemates.

He and Kennedy neutralize each other's effectiveness. Sutter is a smart player, but he's not especially gifted the way Staal was. He needs someone who can think the game, not someone who just motors.

I agree. TK just doesn't fit with them. On the other hand, Cooke & Sutter seemed to have instant chemistry which is likely because Cooke plays a good, hard, simple game. If Crosby & Neal both return, I'd put Jokinen on the 3rd line with Cooke & Sutter and send TK back to the 4th line.

Edit: Oh, I forgot about Morrow :face: I'd probably go Morrow-Sutter-Jokinen then; Cooke to the 4th line and Glass or TK to the press box.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:31 pm

Cooke and Sutter are adequate together. I wouldn't call what they have "chemistry", however. They skate at similar speeds, which helps them play together, I guess.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Brendan Morrow; crushing on him. In a purely platonic way. ;)

“It's not like much really needs to be said,” said Morrow, whose confrontation with Tampa Bay goaltender Ben Bishop triggered the Penguins to turn a close game into a rout.

“You can just feel something in this locker room. Lots of leaders in here. No matter the situation, you know that everyone in here is coming to work every day.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/ ... z2QNUUisWa
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:19 pm

On the surface, Thursday's game had the unmistakable feel of a “trap” game. The Penguins had just clinched the Atlantic Division 48 hours earlier and were in the midst of enjoying two nights without an early wake-up call, as Thursday's morning skate was made optional by coach Dan Bylsma and Friday's practice was cancelled.

This is all I took from it, and I laughed.

We need to ask Yohe if HE knows the definition.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins