Preferred 1st round matchup

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Preferred 1st round matchup

Postby DocEmrick on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:55 am

KG wrote:I'm staying far away from this thread....bad juju....

No such thing as juju.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:08 pm

Those who believe in 'juju', why? You honesty believe you have some impact on a sports team you are not connected to in any way, shape, or form? It's like humans still believing that the sun revolves around the Earth. It's mind baffling.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:20 pm

I don't believe in it....Jets would be my #1 pick = )
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:46 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Those who believe in 'juju', why? You honesty believe you have some impact on a sports team you are not connected to in any way, shape, or form? It's like humans still believing that the sun revolves around the Earth. It's mind baffling.

That's the great thing about Hockey, though. In no other sport, at least from what I've seen, is superstition such a dynamic part of game from players to coaches. Sure, you see it elsewhere, but not like in hockey.

Does it have any impact? None, whatsoever. Juju is a fun, crazy addition to an already fun sport.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Pens15 wrote:I'm just glad that the Flyers look to be completely dead. If they had somehow snuck in as an 8 seed, I would have been absolutely terrified.

I'll qualify this, as they still have a chance if they win out and get a ton of help. If they were to make it, then I wouldn't be terrified. Just me, personally (and not tempting the humangous-big Universe here), I think it would be more like 2008 and '09 for them. I think the recent spell was broken on March 7, and the phans, all caught up in their usual vengeance-intimidation BS, would be writing checks the team couldn't cash.

But, man, I can't even describe how pissed off I'd be.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:06 pm

I think I probably went off the deep end more than anyone with the Flyers hysteria but I don't fear them anymore. I think the Pens finally made a statement against them not just with the comeback win delivering a taste of their own medicine but then following it up by winning a dull and efficient game against them. The make-up of the Pens now with Iginla and Morrow and company added will avoid the embarrassment that happened last April. They aren't going to lose their composure again like that. And Philly lost a lot since last year on top of everything.

Not that I think the Pens are unbeatable. Injuries could always derail everything. I still wouldn't put it past the team to lose a series because they're giving up too many goals. They're much improved in all ways, but they're never going to be a shutdown team and there's always potential for the goaltending to fail them. The PK is particularly a big concern. I think, though, that they've found a pretty good balance in their style and they added some much needed toughness and leadership, guys like Iginla and Morrow who can set the example on how to play but also provide the rest of the team something to play for.

With that being said, I don't fear anyone. The Pens will beat anyone if they stay relatively healthy and stay within themselves.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:20 pm

Henry Hank wrote: The make-up of the Pens now with Iginla and Morrow and company added will avoid the embarrassment that happened last April. They aren't going to lose their composure again like that. And Philly lost a lot since last year on top of everything.

Understating just a bit, I think Douglas Murray would bring something special to the dynamic.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sniper on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:23 pm

The Penguins are 19 and 3 against the other 7 teams in the East that are currently going to make the playoffs. That's by far the best mark in the east. They played 8 consecutive games against playoff teams during their winning streak and won them all. Based on that I don't see any reason they should be too concerned about anyone they play unless they have a bunch of injuries. The three playoff teams they've lost to are Toronto, NYR, and NYI. I don't see it taking more than 5 games to beat any of them if the Pens are healthy.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:47 pm

DocEmrick wrote:

No such thing as juju.

Also no such thing as a "preferred" matchup in the playoffs.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:14 pm

DocEmrick wrote:

No such thing as juju.

Do you care to rethink that statement.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:26 pm

The U wrote:A few years ago we REALLY wanted the Lightning. We got them and we lost the series.

I'm pretty sure that was not the case. I recall alot of "experts" predicting that the winner of that matchup was one the favorite to come out of the east. The only year I recall anyone ever "wanting" a specific opponent recently was the year we faced Ottawa (the 2nd time) and that turned out fine.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:13 am

Florida. Oh, wait. :face:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:21 pm

I'd prefer the Isles or Jets. Ottawa and NYR scares me because of goaltending. Their goalies can steal a first round.

Plus, given our rivalry with the NYR, I'd hate to lose to them most of all in a 1-8 scenario. My ranger buddy would never let me live it down.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:42 pm

I'd prefer the Jets. As mentioned above, facing a hot goaltender with Ottawa might be an issue, especially if they start getting some other people healthy too. I think the Pens would beat the Rangers, but the Rangers have been notably feistier down the stretch, meaning it might be a long, physical series. I know the Pens have a good record against the Isles, but they always seem to play the Pens tough.

As others have said, if the Pens get fully healthy (a big 'if' it seems at this point) and everyone plays up to reasonable expectations, I don't think anyone else in the East can beat them. I think, however, I would give Chicago a slight edge in a prospective Cup finals matchup. I've only seen them play 3-4 times this season, but every time, they've looked really good, with no real discernible weaknesses. It would definitely be an epic finals (and thus unlikely to happen).
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:30 pm

It is starting to look more and more like it is going to be Ottawa. They are currently tied with The rangers but have a much harder remaining schedule. Ottawa has Pittsburgh, Washington, Philly and Boston left. The rangers have Florida,Carolina, and new jersey left.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MayIsForHockey on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:56 pm

I just hope that the Caps face the Rangers in the first round. That's the Pens best chance of avoiding an afternoon game and getting stuck with a messed up "for-TV" schedule.

A Chi-Det matchup would also help.
MayIsForHockey
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins