Crosbys mouth

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Crosbys mouth

Postby conforto45 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:32 pm

one thing i can say i really hate about the way Crosby acts on the ice is his mouth. one great example is from the Carolina game this past weekend. There was a scrum around the net, and all you can hear/see is Crosby saying "F you" F you" to whomever.

kid, youve been in the league for what, 3 months now? you are supposed to be the face for the league. I, nor do anyone else want to hear and or see you screaming those kind of words on the ice, or even when the camera is on you.

I was at my parents house while watching the game. I have 2 younger brothers whom were watching the game w/ me and my dad. After seeing Crosby go off like a clown, my dad decided to change the channel.

The kid has all the talent in the world, but whenever youre the icon of the league, whenever everyone tunes into the game just to watch YOU... you need to show yourself in an appropriate manor
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,354
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:37 am
Location: hopewell,pa

Postby netwolf on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:40 pm

I might agree with you in principle, but how many hcokey players are out there that don't say that, let alone are 18 years old as well?

Ron Francis was the classiest guy ever to play hockey and he cursed people out too.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,328
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:43 pm

Do you watch alot of games? Players swearing is a very common occurance. Even when they show the coaches, you can usually lip read some F-bombs. That and you always see alot of players spitting. Edzo was the worst man, every 5 minutes he was launching one.

Anyways, I dont mind it. Younger kids probably won't know what he is saying anyways.
FallenHero96
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,473
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:39 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:56 pm

That video is gold. Trot's last line still has me cracking up ....

http://www.broadstreetbully.com/index.p ... ellows.flv
FallenHero96
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,473
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:39 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:56 pm

You can get your point across without the F-Bomb.

Unless of course, the F-Bomb is the only weapon in your intellectual arsonal.

Seriously, Crosby needs to recognize what a leader is, and how to command respect from teammates, officals, broadcasters, fans, media, and even opponents.

Screaming F-You does nothing to advance that cause.

All that being said, he is just 18. I hope someone has this kids ear though. I can't imagine how out of control he'd be if he wasn't living with Mario.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:05 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:You can get your point across without the F-Bomb.

Unless of course, the F-Bomb is the only weapon in your intellectual arsonal.

Seriously, Crosby needs to recognize what a leader is, and how to command respect from teammates, officals, broadcasters, fans, media, and even opponents.

Screaming F-You does nothing to advance that cause.


Yes, I'm certain that all of those pure-as-the-driven-snow players around him are in high holy rage at such a horrible potty mouth.

You holier-than-thou folks just kill me.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Postby conforto45 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:14 pm

im not saying that i dont get fired up whenever i play in my games, but whenever he has the whole world watching the games just to see him.. then that makes it a bit of an issue i think
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,354
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:37 am
Location: hopewell,pa

Postby td_ice on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:18 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:That video is gold. http://www.broadstreetbully.com/index.p ... ellows.flv


"You're the effing best Bellows"
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:09 pm

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:18 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:You can get your point across without the F-Bomb.

Unless of course, the F-Bomb is the only weapon in your intellectual arsonal.

Seriously, Crosby needs to recognize what a leader is, and how to command respect from teammates, officals, broadcasters, fans, media, and even opponents.

Screaming F-You does nothing to advance that cause.


Yes, I'm certain that all of those pure-as-the-driven-snow players around him are in high holy rage at such a horrible potty mouth.

You holier-than-thou folks just kill me.


Ahhh... youth.... it's so cool to be an angry young man. I remember those days. Rebel against authority, the rules have changed! It's a brave new world and everything the generation before you has learned is no longer relevant.

Then you grow up.

The amazing thing is that I wish I knew what I know now when I was younger.

It's the first lesson a true leader learns, that one of the things about leadership is that others do respect someone who takes the high road. It's common sense really. If you look at the people in your life you've encountered that you really respect you'll notice that the top ones have self-control and composure. You don't neccesarily have to have those qualities yourself to appreciate them in others.

"There's no mud on the high road."
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Bowser on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:23 pm

this is getting really annoying.

Crosby is no different than 99.9% of those on this board that have used curse words in front of family, friends and co-workers. The kid is intense and wants to win, what is so GAWD D@MN FRIGGIN WRONG WITH THAT!?

Those of you who play/played sports, you know darn well, you wouldn't keep your mouth shut taking the physical punishment he receives and the officials just turn their head away.

I know I've been there, when I was young as a pitcher. I was not getting the same strike zone the other pitcher was getting and the female umpire was from the home team's town.

After so long, you lose your cool because you want to win.

I hope the Pens never hold Sidney back because of his mouth. He wants to win, something 15-16 others in uniform have failed to deliver on a nightly basis.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,960
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby Draftnik on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:23 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:You can get your point across without the F-Bomb.

Unless of course, the F-Bomb is the only weapon in your intellectual arsonal.

Seriously, Crosby needs to recognize what a leader is, and how to command respect from teammates, officals, broadcasters, fans, media, and even opponents.

Screaming F-You does nothing to advance that cause.


Yes, I'm certain that all of those pure-as-the-driven-snow players around him are in high holy rage at such a horrible potty mouth.

You holier-than-thou folks just kill me.


Ahhh... youth.... it's so cool to be an angry young man. I remember those days. Rebel against authority, the rules have changed! It's a brave new world and everything the generation before you has learned is no longer relevant.

Then you grow up.

The amazing thing is that I wish I knew what I know now when I was younger.

It's the first lesson a true leader learns, that one of the things about leadership is that others do respect someone who takes the high road. It's common sense really. If you look at the people in your life you've encountered that you really respect you'll notice that the top ones have self-control and composure. You don't neccesarily have to have those qualities yourself to appreciate them in others.

"There's no mud on the high road."



Crosby has been the chosen one since he was 13 years old. IMG has groomed him for years to be the next Gretzky (save the gambling jokes). The kid has been coached so well at doing interviews his politically correct responses are nauseating IMO. I think it is refreshing to see his on ice persona is real and not some image created by his handlers.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby td_ice on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:27 pm

I have no problem with Crosby yelling and swearing at other players whatsoever.

What he does have to do is control his tounge with the refs.

With the other players?? Heck no.

He is rookie, 18 years old, and players are going to test him. You see the cheap shots he takes. The high stick to face here and there. The elbow up high once and awhile.

Crosby is a gritty player. He shows that by playing in traffic, paying the price in front of the net. Getting dirty in the corners, when he is taking some cheap shots from the opposition. He needs to do that imo.

If he backs down now, or shows weakness now, as a rookie, it will get worse as the years go on. Not that it will stop because he is aggressive. Because of his ability he will always be a target, to some degree. BUT it would be a lot worse if acts timid.

You don't want him in the box taking retalitory penalities. And he knows that. So what else do you want him to do. Swearing and talking back to players, who are definitely cursing him out, is perfectly natural.

I don't see the problem.

With the refs, yes. Cursing and talking back is a losing proposition.
Hoping he wins the Lady Bing?? NO THANKS.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:09 pm

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:30 pm

Draftnik wrote:
Crosby has been the chosen one since he was 13 years old. IMG has groomed him for years to be the next Gretzky (save the gambling jokes). The kid has been coached so well at doing interviews his politically correct responses are nauseating IMO. I think it is refreshing to see his on ice persona is real and not some image created by his handlers.


I can't argue with that. He has conducted himself admirably (That may not be a strong enough word), with the media. Off the ice he seems to be very composed and well put together. On the ice, that's a different matter. Yes he's highly competitive (A very good thing - I can't fault that after complaining for years (1983 through about 1990) that Mario didn't seem to care enough on the ice.) but he's behavior on the ice isn't doing him any good and has actually hurt the team at times.

I'm confident that he has a great future ahead of him, and that he'll become a leader on the ice as well, I just hope it's sooner rather than later.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Daniel on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:30 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Anyways, I dont mind it. Younger kids probably won't know what he is saying anyways.


And if they do know, they have found out from other places. :twisted:
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,099
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:32 pm

Perhaps Crosby will take everyone's advice into consideration for our first game after the Olympics. If nothing else, I can say that the look on Chara's face would be priceless if, after a cheap shot, Sid came back with,

"That was rude. I'm trying to be a leader here, so I'm going to keep my temper and ask you to not do that again."

Oh man. Go watch curling or something.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Postby the wicked child on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:40 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:That video is gold. Trot's last line still has me cracking up ....

http://www.broadstreetbully.com/index.p ... ellows.flv


best.video.ever.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,677
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:44 pm

td_ice wrote:If he backs down now, or shows weakness now, as a rookie, it will get worse as the years go on. Not that it will stop because he is aggressive. Because of his ability he will always be a target, to some degree. BUT it would be a lot worse if acts timid.

You don't want him in the box taking retalitory penalities. And he knows that. So what else do you want him to do. Swearing and talking back to players, who are definitely cursing him out, is perfectly natural.


That's PART of my point. Talk to Matt Barnaby if you ever get the chance. Matt is the All-Time best at being an agitator. NO ONE has done it better.

Matt could nearly always get another player off their game. But he would laugh and tell you that certain players were difficult to crack. Mario was one of them, "Ace" as Mat tcalled him would just smile, and then on the next rush, Mario would actually go into Baranby's defensive area of responsibility. Purposely showing Matt up. Steve Yzerman was another Barnaby said would never 'take the bait'.

There were others Matt cited. He laughed about the influx of Europeans and Russians/Czech etc... 'complaining' that they didn't know enough English for him to really have an effect.

There were others that Matt could disrupt after only a shift, I once watched as Craig Berube lined up next to Matt for a faceoff once and dropped the gloves before the puck even hit the ice because of something Matt said. (He wouldn't tell me what - maybe he didn't remember, we talked about 5 years later).

My point is that the best players kept composed on the ice. Dropping F-Bombs and screaming at refs just attracts guys like Barnaby.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:47 pm

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:Perhaps Crosby will take everyone's advice into consideration for our first game after the Olympics. If nothing else, I can say that the look on Chara's face would be priceless if, after a cheap shot, Sid came back with,

"That was rude. I'm trying to be a leader here, so I'm going to keep my temper and ask you to not do that again."

Oh man. Go watch curling or something.


LOL. You really just don't get it do you? If he cries and screams F-You, Chara would be MORE inclined to give a repeat performance.

If, one the other hand, he laughs in Charas face, and scores on his next shift, you think Chara might notice?

Maybe it's you who should change sports, I hear there's lots of crying and screaming in WWF. Now there's a *real* sport. :roll:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby MWB on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:53 pm

Crosby is losing zero respect from any player, ref, or coach because of his language. Anyone who thinks that is being incredibly naive. There may be a handful of fans that lose respect for him, but my guess is these are fans that find a problem with every athlete.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,386
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Postby MWB on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:56 pm

If, one the other hand, he laughs in Charas face,




He has done that before also. Now you are saying he curses every time that he's hit? I've seen him curse, laugh, cross check, slash, and do nothing in response to opponents' play. Nothing wrong with any of it.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,386
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:57 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Ahhh... youth.... it's so cool to be an angry young man. I remember those days. Rebel against authority, the rules have changed! It's a brave new world and everything the generation before you has learned is no longer relevant.

Then you grow up.

The amazing thing is that I wish I knew what I know now when I was younger.

It's the first lesson a true leader learns, that one of the things about leadership is that others do respect someone who takes the high road. It's common sense really. If you look at the people in your life you've encountered that you really respect you'll notice that the top ones have self-control and composure. You don't neccesarily have to have those qualities yourself to appreciate them in others.

"There's no mud on the high road."


In all that long living you've been doing, I guess you never came across "live and let live," eh? How about "judge not lest ye be judged?" Funny thing is, despite this really pretty weak attempt to belittle me, I haven't been an angry young man for quite some time. Thing is, somewhere along the way I learned not to waste my life fretting and whining about the antics of another human being when they don't affect me or the world around me in the slightest. Maybe you're not as grown up as you think you are.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Postby td_ice on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:09 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
td_ice wrote:If he backs down now, or shows weakness now, as a rookie, it will get worse as the years go on. Not that it will stop because he is aggressive. Because of his ability he will always be a target, to some degree. BUT it would be a lot worse if acts timid.

You don't want him in the box taking retalitory penalities. And he knows that. So what else do you want him to do. Swearing and talking back to players, who are definitely cursing him out, is perfectly natural.


That's PART of my point. Talk to Matt Barnaby if you ever get the chance. Matt is the All-Time best at being an agitator. NO ONE has done it better.

Matt could nearly always get another player off their game. But he would laugh and tell you that certain players were difficult to crack. Mario was one of them, "Ace" as Mat tcalled him would just smile, and then on the next rush, Mario would actually go into Baranby's defensive area of responsibility. Purposely showing Matt up. Steve Yzerman was another Barnaby said would never 'take the bait'.

There were others Matt cited. He laughed about the influx of Europeans and Russians/Czech etc... 'complaining' that they didn't know enough English for him to really have an effect.

There were others that Matt could disrupt after only a shift, I once watched as Craig Berube lined up next to Matt for a faceoff once and dropped the gloves before the puck even hit the ice because of something Matt said. (He wouldn't tell me what - maybe he didn't remember, we talked about 5 years later).

My point is that the best players kept composed on the ice. Dropping F-Bombs and screaming at refs just attracts guys like Barnaby.


Have you seen anything in Sid's came that shows you his game gets put off when agitated??

I think the reverse is true.

Sid appears to be the kind of player that rises to a challenge. Whether it is Hatcher trying to brush Sid's teeth with his stick, or players checking him hard, Sid seems to player better when "pushed".

He has a great, "I will show you" attitude, because he is competitive, and has the talent to back it up, and respond with talent.
Last edited by td_ice on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:09 pm

Postby jimjom on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:18 pm

I think this is just a part of the game. As far as I'm concerned, the kid can go out there and speak pig latin so long as he performs like he does. I think that his mouth has led to some penalties, so I can see that aspect of this discussion, but I also love the fact that he's a fiery individual and doesn't turtle from aggression (SEE ALSO: NASLUND, MARCUS AND MOROZOV, ALEXEI).
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,770
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:34 pm
Location: Presto

that word is said on-ice/off-ice easily

Postby penny lane on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:21 pm

I'm the same as Sid; only curse at the hockey games... :oops:
one of these days I may get kicked out of the penguin
games.
I never say that word, or even the "s" word that rhymes with it.

until the NHL gives 2 mins for inappropriate language Sid
& rest of NHL safe. :)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,627
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Ball of Confusion

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:23 pm

td_ice wrote:Have you seen anything in Sid's came that shows you his game gets put off when agitated??

I think the reverse is true.

Sid appears to the player that rises to a challenge. Whether it is Hatcher trying to brush Sid's teeth with his stick, or players checking him hard, Sid seems to player better when "pushed".

He has a great, "I will show you" attitude, because he is competitive, and has the talent to back it up, and respond with talent.


That doesn't matter, TD. If he keeps using potty words, all his professional athlete teammates, who would never in a million years say anything off-color, will lose respect for him. Plus we all know that potty mouth is a gateway to cigarettes and alcohol. From there, he's on a fast train to living under the 9th Street Bridge shooting heroin.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dickie Dunn, Eismann, MalkinIsMyHomeboy, meow, Pitts, sharpshootr55 and 61 guests

cron
e-mail