Crosbys mouth

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Jamie on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:24 pm

All of this over F-Bomb. It is a common practice amongst the players to use foul language. I will not lie and say I do not use foul language. I cuss like a drunken sailor when I am angry. Like it or not it is part of today's generation. If you were a fly on the wall of an elemetary school, you would probably learn several new and colorful expletives from the students. It is a shame it was captured on TV, but we all know that when watching an NHL game that this can happen.

There are many more important issues to be concerned over than Sid dropping an F-bomb.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:26 pm

Jamie wrote:All of this over F-Bomb. It is a common practice amongst the players to use foul language. I will not lie and say I do not use foul language. I cuss like a drunken sailor when I am angry. Like it or not it is part of today's generation. If you were a fly on the wall of an elemetary school, you would probably learn several new and colorful expletives from the students. It is a shame it was captured on TV, but we all know that when watching an NHL game that this can happen.

There are many more important issues to be concerned over than Sid dropping an F-bomb.

It's kind of like meeting Leonardo Da Vinci and saying "Gee, nice painting, but I can't really get behind you until you clean up that scraggly long beard." I'm not sure these folks would like to see the hockey team that doesn't curse on the ice. I know I wouldn't like to see it.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jamie on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:31 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
td_ice wrote:Have you seen anything in Sid's came that shows you his game gets put off when agitated??

I think the reverse is true.

Sid appears to the player that rises to a challenge. Whether it is Hatcher trying to brush Sid's teeth with his stick, or players checking him hard, Sid seems to player better when "pushed".

He has a great, "I will show you" attitude, because he is competitive, and has the talent to back it up, and respond with talent.

That doesn't matter, TD. If he keeps using potty words, all his professional athlete teammates, who would never in a million years say anything off-color, will lose respect for him. Plus we all know that potty mouth is a gateway to cigarettes and alcohol. From there, he's on a fast train to living under the 9th Street Bridge shooting heroin.

I posted a reply to your post Homer, but then deleted it because It took me reading it twice to realize you were being sarcastic. I am having one of thos days. :( Always happens when I work my night shift rotation.
Last edited by Jamie on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:36 pm

All players curse unless they are religious. You just notice it more often since the camera is always on Crosby.

Mario cursed plenty in his day.
jmh70

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:40 pm

So if the F-Word becomes part of your everyday common vernacular, what do you say when you get really angry? Shucks? Firetruck?

Again, if the the only intellectual tool you have to express yourself is the F-Word, then you're in pretty bad shape.

Hey, I'm not offended by it's use personally, but I know I've acheived my objective when my adversary resorts to F-This and F-you. It's great, you know you now have them off their game. You've really gotten under their skin. They're now totally p'd off at you and less focused on the task at hand.

It's Barnaby at his best, and it works like magic.

On the other hand, the guy that laughs at me after I crosscheck him, the guy that smiles at me after I high stick him and just spits the loose tooth out at me and smiles, HE SCARES ME. (See: Darcy Tucker)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:44 pm

Jamie wrote:I posted a reply to your post Homer, but then deleted it because It took me reading it twice to realize you were being sarcastic. I am having one of thos days. :( Always happens when I work my night shift rotation.

LOL, that happens to me sometimes too. Sarcasm isn't always easy to see.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:48 pm

Hey, I'm not offended by it's use personally, but I know I've acheived my objective when my adversary resorts to F-This and F-you. It's great, you know you now have them off their game. You've really gotten under their skin. They're now totally p'd off at you and less focused on the task at hand.

Saying that is no longer a sign that a player is off his game. You've kind of proven youreself wrong. You said he uses that word a lot, which shows that it's commonplace for him. That means he's not off his game, just doing something he usually does. If he were to do something uncharacteristic, that would show he's off his game.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:51 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:So if the F-Word becomes part of your everyday common vernacular, what do you say when you get really angry? Shucks? Firetruck?

Maybe he says "marklar." Whatever he says, what business is it of yours?

Again, if the the only intellectual tool you have to express yourself is the F-Word, then you're in pretty bad shape.

Yeah, Crosby was really taken off his game the night that Hatcher gave him that root canal. He's really been underperforming all year because of that cursing.

Works like magic at what exactly? Has Matt Barnaby won something of which I am unaware? Over the last few days we've had somebody claim that Mario Lemieux is not one of the top ten forwards in history and now somebody who apparently thinks that Matthew Barnaby is worth the powder to blow him to hell. No accounting for taste I guess.

On the other hand, the guy that laughs at me after I crosscheck him, the guy that smiles at me after I high stick him and just spits the loose tooth out at me and smiles, HE SCARES ME. (See: Darcy Tucker)

Great. It might be worth allowing that OTHER PEOPLE'S MILEAGE MAY VARY.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:52 pm

jmh70 wrote:All players curse unless they are religious.

Then they curse more. :shock:
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby conforto45 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:59 pm

i agree w/ alot of what youre saying... but do you think it is right for little kids to watch this game and see/hear all the stuff that is being said?
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:00 pm

MWB wrote:Saying that is no longer a sign that a player is off his game. You've kind of proven youreself wrong. You said he uses that word a lot, which shows that it's commonplace for him. That means he's not off his game, just doing something he usually does. If he were to do something uncharacteristic, that would show he's off his game.

So you're saying he uses the F-Word when things are going his way?

Hmmm... maybe I don't understand. :-)

Obviously if someone is charging at me and questioning my parentage, I know I've struck a nerve.

The last time I wanted someone to take a swing at me, I didn't swear at him... I just started laughing at him. I smiled and gave him a look that let him know I thought he was highly amusing. God it pissed him off...

It was great fun to watch him skate off the ice. We played five on four for about 30 seconds with their best player in the box. After we scored I lined up next to him on the faceoff and said "Man that was fun..." he dropped them again and was tossed for the rest of the game.

Not one F-Word. The F-Bomb would have given him exactly what he was looking for, what really pissed him off was that he couldn't make me mad, that I appeared to be enjoying myself. (What he didn't know was that I was totally pissed, I wanted to fight him... but if he'd have seen that he never would have come after me, I'm arguably the worst skater on my team, and he's one of the best players (skillwise) in the league.)

Anyway, we've beat this subject to death... I didn't mean to sound holier than thou' I was just commenting on what I feel Sid can do to be more effective.

Just one mans opinion.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:06 pm

conforto45 wrote:i agree w/ alot of what youre saying... but do you think it is right for little kids to watch this game and see/hear all the stuff that is being said?

If they cleaned up the language but left in the violent hitting and fighting, would you be OK with a little kid seeing that?

We have this cultural obsession with language that baffles me. Kids can see movies with high body counts, but if somebody drops an f-bomb then it's for adults only. Give me a break.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:08 pm

No, you're right, we've beaten this to death.
Last edited by HomerPenguin on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jamie on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:08 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:So if the F-Word becomes part of your everyday common vernacular, what do you say when you get really angry? Shucks? Firetruck?

And I am sure that every opposing player that Crosby has cursed at has thought "that's the ticket, he used the F-word, now we got him right where we want him". And Darcy Tucker has never, ever used the F-word on the ice. Nor has he been agitated to the point he has lost his cool. See the fight where he used a helmet as an added part of his fist. Why was he fighting in the first place, and not just smiling? I am sure the precurser to the fight went something like this " You know, I dont appreciate what you did, so if you don't mind I would like to drop the gloves, and have a spirited bout with you. If that is OK with you of course".
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby randy on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:28 pm

I NEVER, EVER WANT CROSBY TO CHANGE HIS GAME. Not one bit. If you dont like the language, then tune out.
randy

Postby puckeye on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:29 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:That video is gold. Trot's last line still has me cracking up ....

http://www.broadstreetbully.com/index.p ... ellows.flv

That was classic, had never seen that before. God, I loved that team.
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tocchet on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:02 pm

You can get your point across without the F-Bomb.

Unless of course, the F-Bomb is the only weapon in your intellectual arsonal.

Seriously, Crosby needs to recognize what a leader is, and how to command respect from teammates, officals, broadcasters, fans, media, and even opponents.

Screaming F-You does nothing to advance that cause.

All that being said, he is just 18. I hope someone has this kids ear though. I can't imagine how out of control he'd be if he wasn't living with Mario.

Couldn't have said it better myself, EPP.

Now let the "everyone else is doing it" excuse come into play, or the "it's refreshing" justification. Never mind that it's classless, adds to the "Crosby is a whining baby" feeling, and leads to more people not liking Crosby, which is undoubtedly against his, his agents, his marketers, the Penguins, and the NHL's best interests.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:19 pm

I say this to everyone who has a problem with swearing: You have insecurity issues.

Seriously, they're words, what difference does it make? For children I can understand, but even then does it really matter? It's like people who frown on nudity so much, everyone is going to see it sooner or later so what's the big deal?
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:21 pm

Tocchet wrote:
Now let the "everyone else is doing it" excuse come into play, or the "it's refreshing" justification. Never mind that it's classless, adds to the "Crosby is a whining baby" feeling, and leads to more people not liking Crosby, which is undoubtedly against his, his agents, his marketers, the Penguins, and the NHL's best interests.

Are you trying to say that anyone who cusses is classless? Is everyone that cusses considered a whiner also? Or, are those statements just for Crosby for whatever reason?
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:22 pm

Tocchet wrote:Couldn't have said it better myself, EPP.

Now let the "everyone else is doing it" excuse come into play,

It's not an excuse. I defy you to show me that there's a significant portion of NHL players who never ever curse on the ice. I believe if you could find ANY who never curse, you'd be in the 1% of all players range. Why, why, why, oh why do we expect 18-year old Sidney Crosby to be any different? Why are people so prudish as to let this ultra-triviality affect their enjoyment of Crosby's play? Or, I guess more appropriately, why can't the people who feel this way just keep it to themselves instead of moaning about it every other week?

or the "it's refreshing" justification. Never mind that it's classless, adds to the "Crosby is a whining baby" feeling, and leads to more people not liking Crosby, which is undoubtedly against his, his agents, his marketers, the Penguins, and the NHL's best interests.

LOL. It's a shame we couldn't go back to 1980, let the league put every game on TV with highly sensitive microphones around the rink and even on some of the players, and see how family friendly Wayne Gretzky's mouth was. Or Lemieux's for that matter. I'd love to see what that would uncover.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:32 pm

This debate has turned into absurdity. People swear when they get mad. End of story. Deal with it.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jamie on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:37 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:This debate has turned into absurdity. People swear when they get mad. End of story. Deal with it.

I agree. Most people swear, some people do not. Why should anyone judge what type of leader, or how effective Sid can be, simply on the fact that he swears. Never judge a man or woman until you have walked a mile in their shoes.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:42 pm

"never judge a man or woman until you have walked a mile in their shoes."

That isnt necessarily true, but you have the right idea in this case. :)
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:19 pm

I know I can't beleive he said "f-you f-you". I mean a kid with that much talent and that many people hounding him every day should be more creative then that.

I hope next time he says,"f-you *******! Im gonna skeet skeet in your mommas ear you pig faced lima rapper!!"

Maybe then you and your family can stick to the Home and Garden channel. I here they got really queer cooking shows and the only bad words they mouth are ewwww my noodles are over cooked taheheheh.
NIN

Postby dman66 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:51 pm

what about when ovechkin got hit in the nards, and yelled it five times in a row? or is that ok because he was hurt? as far as kids, they probably already know that word, i know i first heard it in first or second grade
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins