Crosbys mouth

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Fast B on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:09 pm

NIN wrote:I know I can't beleive he said "f-you f-you". I mean a kid with that much talent and that many people hounding him every day should be more creative then that.

I hope next time he says,"f-you *******! Im gonna skeet skeet in your mommas ear you pig faced lima rapper!!"

Maybe then you and your family can stick to the Home and Garden channel. I here they got really queer cooking shows and the only bad words they mouth are ewwww my noodles are over cooked taheheheh.

I've been trying to avoid this stupid argument entirely, but that was hilarious.

As for the swearing: If Crosby were a leader in an office or school setting, then yes, the swearing would be unacceptable. But we're not talking about us - we're talking about hockey players. I know it might offend some folks' delicate sensibilities, but these guys are generally not known for being great orators, and besides that, emotions probably run a lot higher for these guys when they're working than they do for us at our jobs. Have you ever wondered why the miked-up players' comments are so bland? Probably because all the interesting stuff would make a sailor blush.

You may not like it, but yes, that is how it is. If you are horribly offended by it, I suggest you find another interest.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rychster on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:30 pm

I think people here are getting the wrong idea about the thread. Yes, he is a hockey player that has President's approval to swear at anytime anyplace. I have no problem with him throwing out an F-bomb here and an F-bomb there but he has to realize he is on camera almost non-stop and when he is on the ice and especially on the bench after a scuffle or something he should remember that the whole world is watching and that there are blind people that can lip read what he is saying. He needs to be mindful of this and cover his mouth or turn away from the obvious camera angles to say his piece. It is that simple. I think it is more intimidating if he doesn't say a word and speaks with his actions on the ice IMO to make whomever he is pissed at look like a fool.

I do not fault him entirely. The network camera director is responsible for the viewing public seeing the cussing in action. They should turn away at the first sign of trouble.
Rychster
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

yep

Postby FuturePens on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:19 pm

I love Crosby's additude, he's the only one that cares on consistant bases that's why he's got a big mouth> it's called emotions and passion !!!
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:41 pm

Rychster wrote:I think people here are getting the wrong idea about the thread. Yes, he is a hockey player that has President's approval to swear at anytime anyplace. I have no problem with him throwing out an F-bomb here and an F-bomb there but he has to realize he is on camera almost non-stop and when he is on the ice and especially on the bench after a scuffle or something he should remember that the whole world is watching and that there are blind people that can lip read what he is saying. He needs to be mindful of this and cover his mouth or turn away from the obvious camera angles to say his piece. It is that simple. I think it is more intimidating if he doesn't say a word and speaks with his actions on the ice IMO to make whomever he is pissed at look like a fool.

I do not fault him entirely. The network camera director is responsible for the viewing public seeing the cussing in action. They should turn away at the first sign of trouble.

Again, why don't we get a camera to shadow you during the 2-3 most stressful hours of your day. What are the chances they'd catch a G-rated show?

I don't want Crosby to be mindful of anything other than scoring the next goal. If he starts minding the camera and his mouth and the children (dear God, the children) and the prudes and every other little thing you folks want to saddle him with, my fear is that his play will suffer. If the kid is going to be what everybody says he's going to be, he can come to my house and drop the f-bomb in my face 50 times a day if he wants. Just let the man play hockey.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Draftnik on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:42 pm

This is the culture of NHL hockey. I don't understand what the big deal is. I've seen countless Euros interviewed and they always say the first English words they learned were the "swear" words.

If we are going to start nitpicking an 18 year old savior I'd much rather see him turn some scrub teammate into the next Warren Young and backcheck with purpose than clean up his language.

When his play is perfect I'll be ready to criticize his allegedly foul mouth. :roll:
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:56 pm

Fast B wrote:
NIN wrote:I know I can't beleive he said "f-you f-you". I mean a kid with that much talent and that many people hounding him every day should be more creative then that.

I hope next time he says,"f-you *******! Im gonna skeet skeet in your mommas ear you pig faced lima rapper!!"

Maybe then you and your family can stick to the Home and Garden channel. I here they got really queer cooking shows and the only bad words they mouth are ewwww my noodles are over cooked taheheheh.

I've been trying to avoid this stupid argument entirely, but that was hilarious.

As for the swearing: If Crosby were a leader in an office or school setting, then yes, the swearing would be unacceptable. But we're not talking about us - we're talking about hockey players. I know it might offend some folks' delicate sensibilities, but these guys are generally not known for being great orators, and besides that, emotions probably run a lot higher for these guys when they're working than they do for us at our jobs. Have you ever wondered why the miked-up players' comments are so bland? Probably because all the interesting stuff would make a sailor blush.

You may not like it, but yes, that is how it is. If you are horribly offended by it, I suggest you find another interest.

Heard? I think I was using it regularly by the 2nd grade :shock:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Crosbys mouth

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:14 am

conforto45 wrote:I have 2 younger brothers whom were watching the game w/ me and my dad.

Correct grammar would be "My dad and I." I have younger siblings that read this board. I'd rather them not see incorrect grammar.

After seeing Crosby go off like a clown, my dad decided to change the channel.

Hopefully your dad doesn't let your brothers go in a hockey locker room. Or for that matter, go to school, watch anything other than Disney, ever use the internet, or for the love of God, ever go to a hockey game. They have men with trays of beer there!

NIN...funny as that was, you should have just smiled and nodded. Remember, that's really how we get under ExPat's skin. I thought this thread was done, but that flame was what lots of us were thinking I'm sure.

If you guys are honestly offended by any of this, write a letter to Fox Sports. Leave Sid alone. Let him actually be passionate. Mention in your letter that you think we should play Endicott more because he has never been seen using bad language in a close-up shot. He just lets the Flyer players punch him in the head and takes it like a man. Now there's someone to respect.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:00 am

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:If you guys are honestly offended by any of this, write a letter to Fox Sports. Leave Sid alone. Let him actually be passionate. Mention in your letter that you think we should play Endicott more because he has never been seen using bad language in a close-up shot. He just lets the Flyer players punch him in the head and takes it like a man. Now there's someone to respect.

But don't you notice how when Endicott lets them beat the crap out of him like that, it just drives those Flyer players nuts?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:03 am

puckeye wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:That video is gold. Trot's last line still has me cracking up ....

http://www.broadstreetbully.com/index.p ... ellows.flv

That was classic, had never seen that before. God, I loved that team.

This is f-ing hysterical, by the way. Is it me or is there an audible sound of somebody cracking up at Trottier's last line?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:09 am

It's not just you... I heard that as well. :)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:20 am

http://www.hotstickybun.com/videos/bellows1.zip

right click and save as for a downloadable version. took some digging, but here it is in all its glory. It's actually slightly longer than the clip on broadstreetbully.com.

Enjoy. :)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:07 am

Leave it to Americans to complain about the hockey players swearing in front of their children while they sit by and cheer when two of them starting trying to knock one another unconscious. Values, I tell you America has some real value issues. Where are your priorities as a parent? I would certainly rather hear my kids swear so I could laugh at it, because it IS hilarious when little kids swear, than to be getting into fights.

Not that I have a problem with either, just pointing it out. Go hockey!
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rychster on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:46 am

HomerPenguin wrote:
Rychster wrote:I think people here are getting the wrong idea about the thread. Yes, he is a hockey player that has President's approval to swear at anytime anyplace. I have no problem with him throwing out an F-bomb here and an F-bomb there but he has to realize he is on camera almost non-stop and when he is on the ice and especially on the bench after a scuffle or something he should remember that the whole world is watching and that there are blind people that can lip read what he is saying. He needs to be mindful of this and cover his mouth or turn away from the obvious camera angles to say his piece. It is that simple. I think it is more intimidating if he doesn't say a word and speaks with his actions on the ice IMO to make whomever he is pissed at look like a fool.

Again, why don't we get a camera to shadow you during the 2-3 most stressful hours of your day. What are the chances they'd catch a G-rated show?

I don't want Crosby to be mindful of anything other than scoring the next goal. If he starts minding the camera and his mouth and the children (dear God, the children) and the prudes and every other little thing you folks want to saddle him with, my fear is that his play will suffer. If the kid is going to be what everybody says he's going to be, he can come to my house and drop the f-bomb in my face 50 times a day if he wants. Just let the man play hockey.

Again, I think while on the BENCH he should just realize he may get embarrassed if called out on it later. That's all. Remember Cowher felt a little embarrassed when his wife pointed out that he was swearing on the sidelines and it was easy to tell what he was saying. Bill hated that and he refrained from that point on. WHY DID HE REFRAIN????? He made a personal choice to change. Wonder what changed his mind..hmmmm

If Crosby doesn't care, I don't care. It's just what HE feels what HE needs to do. He needs to be reminded what is caught on camera so he can realize what he is doing. That's all.

I personally don't care because I have no kids to worry about.
Rychster
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Draftnik on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:27 pm

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:
conforto45 wrote:I have 2 younger brothers whom were watching the game w/ me and my dad.

Correct grammar would be "My dad and I." I have younger siblings that read this board. I'd rather them not see incorrect grammar.

Uh, actually you are wrong. It is incredibly lame to correct "incorrect grammar" and be incorrect yourself. Correct grammar would be "my dad and me." An object pronoun is needed because of "watching the game with," not a subject pronoun.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:38 pm

Ya those object pronouns will get you every time.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:41 pm

I've always had trouble with those. Where's a camera I can swear at? I'm immature and that always makes me feel better.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:42 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Ya those object pronouns will get you every time.

It was just a matter of time before this thread would degenerate into a grammar lesson. I'm surprised no one has called Crosby out for his use of the word "tuque."
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:58 pm

pfim wrote:

It was just a matter of time before this thread would degenerate into a grammar lesson. I'm surprised no one has called Crosby out for his use of the word "tuque."

I didn't start it, but since the poster allegedly has younger siblings that rely on LGP as a source of correct grammar I could not let the youngsters become grammatical degenerates. :P

I agree this is much ado about nothing.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:12 pm

Rychster wrote:Again, I think while on the BENCH he should just realize he may get embarrassed if called out on it later. That's all. Remember Cowher felt a little embarrassed when his wife pointed out that he was swearing on the sidelines and it was easy to tell what he was saying. Bill hated that and he refrained from that point on. WHY DID HE REFRAIN????? He made a personal choice to change. Wonder what changed his mind..hmmmm

So Bill Cowher stopped cursing. Big deal. First of all, he's a middle-aged coach and not an 18-year-old player, and second, HE'S A DIFFERENT PERSON.

If Crosby doesn't care, I don't care. It's just what HE feels what HE needs to do. He needs to be reminded what is caught on camera so he can realize what he is doing. That's all.

First of all, you don't know that somebody HASN'T told him about it. Second of all, it's a hockey team not an all-girls boarding school. They don't really need a den mother hovering over all the children to make sure they eat their vegetables and say their prayers. That's how silly you sound.

I personally don't care because I have no kids to worry about.

The shame is that you folks don't "not care" because it's so damn stupid and so not any of your concern.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rychster on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:37 pm

The shame is that you folks don't "not care" because it's so damn stupid and so not any of your concern.[/quote]

You still don't get it. Did Mario do these things? Yes, but he also didn't do it so obviously in front of the camera. You keep on harping on the fact that I care and that isn't what I am saying. I guess you have already figured out that Crosby doesn't care either?? I take it that you have talked to him personally about this very issue and he is ok with it because he is only 18 years old and he has a free pass to do what he wants? If he knows he is caught on camera all the time cussing and is ok about it then this is a non-issue. I happen to think he doesn't realize it. Not that it matters because it is only lip reading but haven't you done something stupid enough that you later realize it was stupid but at the time it wasn't to you? Did you ever have someone tell you to stop talking while someone is speaking and to wait your turn?

Stop pretending that you are fighting the "cool" thing to do and that it isn't below Crosby to learn a thing or two about his behavior on the ice. Someone DID tell him to cool it with the refs right? Hmmm, wonder who that was....

Live and learn. That's what he needs to do.

Would you care if you were caught on camera swearing up a storm plain as day and your mother saw it? How would you feel..Embarrassed? If not, there something wrong with you.
Rychster
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby skullman80 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:42 pm

When I use to play hockey I NEVER swore... :lol:

People find the smallest things to nitpick.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:38 pm

pfim wrote:

OK, who wants to wear it?

(Now to find one for the ol' music police)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SirSidTheKid on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:44 pm

I can see how some of you find it completely wrong that he swears, but come' on.. As much crap as he takes from other players in the league (figure he gets hit in the face atleast once a game), what do you want him to say?? "if you hit me again you big meanie, ill tell your mommy"

If people have that big of a deal with it, send in letters.. im sure he'd value everyones opinions towards his actions/language on the ice :lol: :roll:
SirSidTheKid

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:22 am

Rychster wrote:Would you care if you were caught on camera swearing up a storm plain as day and your mother saw it? How would you feel..Embarrassed? If not, there something wrong with you.

If I were defending myself, I wouldn't be embarassed in the least. Seconds after being punched in the face is not the time to articulate a winded response. If Sid let off with a swearing rant post-game in interviews, there would be a problem. I think you'd have to agree that he's been, if anything, overly politically correct with the media since arriving in Pittsburgh.

On a side note, caught on camera or not, you'd be amazed at the number of mothers and grandmothers at Pens games who will openly swear and evidently aren't embarassed. There are at least 4 or 5 older ladies that sit in my section that are quite vocal. It's called passion for a game. Pens fans and Sid are both entitled to it.

If Fox Sports doesn't like it, they shouldn't choose those camera shots. If the majority of Fox Sports' viewers (or most hockey fans) had a problem with it, you bet their advertisers would pressure them to make the necessary changes. Read into that what you will.

Go watch curling.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:29 am

just like you can turn the sound off,,,dont read his lips.

All very simple you see,,no lip readeee , no get offendeee :wink:
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins