Gordie Howe hat trick

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Gordie Howe hat trick

Postby headh on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Apparently Iggy and Morrow are two of the active playing league leaders in the GHHT. I can't find much consistency in the historical tracking of this statistic.

It appears as though Rick Tocchet is one if the all time leaders of this stat.

We won a cup with him and I'm feeling good about the fact that we added these two. Talk about adding a couple of wingers for Sid and Geno and some leadership and toughness. I am "Kid in the candy store" excited about this team.

Are these two the active leaders in this stat?
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Gordie Howe hat trick

Postby mikey287 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Little is known about it because it's...well...silly...for lack of a better term. What would be the equivalent of this in another sport really? A homerun, a sacrifice fly and...? A stolen base...? I don't know...a walk? I mean, whatever...

Detailed game logs are fairly spotty before 1987. They exist, but not in the detail that they exist today and they aren't readily databased to my knowledge. Additionally, up until a certain point, a fighting major was not differentiated from any other kind of major, so it clouds the record books on that front. Thus, Gordie Howe having one career GHT up until a couple of years ago when the historical community unveiled that there was another.

Jarome Iginla is almost certainly the active leader in these according to the research that I've seen...and I know Morrow has more than a few, but I'm not positive he'd be second among active leaders because of how close they are in numerical proximity. He could very well be, but I'm not in a position to confirm it as it's just not something I keep handy...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:03 pm

mikey287 wrote:Little is known about it because it's...well...silly...for lack of a better term. What would be the equivalent of this in another sport really? A homerun, a sacrifice fly and...? A stolen base...? I don't know...a walk? I mean, whatever...

Detailed game logs are fairly spotty before 1987. They exist, but not in the detail that they exist today and they aren't readily databased to my knowledge. Additionally, up until a certain point, a fighting major was not differentiated from any other kind of major, so it clouds the record books on that front. Thus, Gordie Howe having one career GHT up until a couple of years ago when the historical community unveiled that there was another.

Jarome Iginla is almost certainly the active leader in these according to the research that I've seen...and I know Morrow has more than a few, but I'm not positive he'd be second among active leaders because of how close they are in numerical proximity. He could very well be, but I'm not in a position to confirm it as it's just not something I keep handy...

I would guess: ejection HR and another hit
TD, first down, unnecessary roughness penalty
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:23 pm

Haha, right. Just randomness really.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Strike-out, hit, intentional bean for a pitcher
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:10 pm

When I brought up the Gordie Howe hat trick in the "Thoughts from the Morning After" thread this morning, DelPen provided me with this useful link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordie_Howe_hat_trick
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:41 pm

Well, while SIHR is a terrific source, this wikipedia article is not...allow me...

Here are Rick Tocchet's 18.

5-Jan-85, 9-Mar-86, 16-Oct-86, 3-Jan-87, 15-Jan-87, 4-Dec-88, 11-Nov-89, 23-Nov-90, 18-Feb-91, 17-Nov-92*, 23-Nov-92, 23-Oct-93, 6-Nov-93, 22-Jan-95, 12-Oct-96, 19-Dec-97, 1-Apr-98, 16-Dec-00

* - Newspaper article citing a fighting major specifically for Tocchet on November 17, 1992: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=A ... page&hl=en
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins