Are the Pens already in Boston?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Are the Pens already in Boston?

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:28 pm

Bathgate wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Huge safety concern too. I mean if this lockdown continues throughout the day, there is no way a game is being played tonight. How are players/officials etc even gonna get to the arena.

They reported that taxi service is back up and running.

Look at the pictures of downtown boston, its a ghost town,

i talked to my brother who lives outside boston, taxis are up and running to get people who are stranded back home not to go to a hockey game
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:29 pm

Rylan wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Huge safety concern too. I mean if this lockdown continues throughout the day, there is no way a game is being played tonight. How are players/officials etc even gonna get to the arena.

Yeah, this is the bigger concern. And just a PR hit for the NHL as well. The city of Boston is shut down, the military is being brought in, people kicked out of their homes, and they are playing a hockey game.

Wouldn't be a PR hit at all. In fact I would spin it as the idea of trying to normalize an extraordinary situation for the people affected. Sports is often times an escape from the real world and for the 3 hours that game is going on, Boston can "forget" what is happening and root their hockey team on.

Spin baby.

To me, not on the actual day this stuff is happening.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimjom on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:33 pm

If the game goes on as scheduled and this cretin isn't found yet, 20,000 fans plus arena employees plus staff/players of both teams and area restaurant/bar/retail workers are at risk. Not gonna happen.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:35 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Rylan wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Yeah, this is the bigger concern. And just a PR hit for the NHL as well. The city of Boston is shut down, the military is being brought in, people kicked out of their homes, and they are playing a hockey game.

Wouldn't be a PR hit at all. In fact I would spin it as the idea of trying to normalize an extraordinary situation for the people affected. Sports is often times an escape from the real world and for the 3 hours that game is going on, Boston can "forget" what is happening and root their hockey team on.

Spin baby.

To me, not on the actual day this stuff is happening.

I don't know. I think we have to let the day play out before decision gets made. But, it seems to me that Boston is a potential warzone.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:38 pm

It's going to come down to when they catch this guy and things open back up.

I say 3:00 is your "zero barrier" so to speak.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:39 pm

I think they'll play tonight. Boston can't remain locked down forever. I am only tangentially following this story, but it surprises me the city has been locked down to the extent that it has.

I don't see how Boston can make this game up with two other make up games already pending. Perhaps we'll be locked into our respective seeds at that point, making the game meaningless. Still, it's hard to believe they'd never play it: Boston would pay its players for the game but have no gate revenue.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:41 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:I think they'll play tonight. Boston can't remain locked down forever. I am only tangentially following this story, but it surprises me the city has been locked down to the extent that it has.

I don't see how Boston can make this game up with two other make up games already pending. Perhaps we'll be locked into our respective seeds at that point, making the game meaningless. Still, it's hard to believe they'd never play it: Boston would pay its players for the game but have no gate revenue.

Yeah, this is my thought too.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:44 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:I think they'll play tonight. Boston can't remain locked down forever. I am only tangentially following this story, but it surprises me the city has been locked down to the extent that it has.

Really? makes perfect sense to me, they just killed his brother last night he already denoted one bomb, without the lock down you'd have people going into work in boston, he easily could slip into city city and kill tons more people before killing himself
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby skullman80 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:45 pm

I don't see anyway the game is played if things stay as they are. I can see the city remaining on lockdown throughout the rest of the night easily, and them just allowing emergency transportation. I don't see why its surprising to see how locked down the city is, there is a city wide manhunt for a terrorist. People being on the street interfere with that manhunt, traffic would only complicate that.

Hopefully if anything the Pens can at least get out to fly back here for tomorrow.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:46 pm

I'm not sure they get this game in. The city is locked down now, and we're a little more than 6 hours from faceoff. They'll need to resolve this soon of course.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:47 pm

I would be shocked if the game happens.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby jamespensfan on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:50 pm

There is the possiblity that the game is cancelled and never played if it doesnt impact the standings. It will not affect the Pens.
jamespensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:52 pm

skullman80 wrote:I don't see anyway the game is played if things stay as they are. I can see the city remaining on lockdown throughout the rest of the night easily, and them just allowing emergency transportation. I don't see why its surprising to see how locked down the city is, there is a city wide manhunt for a terrorist. People being on the street interfere with that manhunt, traffic would only complicate that.

Hopefully if anything the Pens can at least get out to fly back here for tomorrow.

This is my thought as well. Unless they find the guy soon, and there are no other suspects we don't know about, this isn't being played.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Rylan wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Spin baby.

I could give you a 3,000 word reply or a 3 word reply. I'll spare everyone and go with 3- dude, you're wrong.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:54 pm

If it's not played tonight, it will be rescheduled. It's a big loss of revenue in a ticket driven sport. The NHL wont let that happen, nor should they. Also, why should the Pens and B's only play 47 games. I'm pissed if i'm a fan of other Eastern Conference teams. Alot can happen in 60 minutes.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:58 pm

The NBA cancelled the game between the Celtics and whoever the other night because of what was going on, and aren't gonna replay it since it didn't matter for playoff positioning. Not saying that it's gonna happen with the NHL, but yeah.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:00 pm

If the city is still on lockdown they aren't going to play a hockey game tonight.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:09 pm

This game has direct implications for 3 of the top 4 spots in the east.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:09 pm

Rocco wrote:
Rylan wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Spin baby.

I could give you a 3,000 word reply or a 3 word reply. I'll spare everyone and go with 3- dude, you're wrong.

Yeah really. I am not sure how you can rationalize playing a game, gathering 20,000 people into a building when a crazed bomber is still on the loose. There is no normalcy being created right now until said bomber is a stain on the ground or behind bars. You just can't turn a blind eye to this kind of thing and move on.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:10 pm

So, here's the thing. Pens play Buffalo tomorrow. Will they be able to get out of Boston to get home in time to play?

I think this game is not going to be played. You can't put 19k people in a stadium with a psycho running around.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:11 pm

I say if it's cancelled, reschedule for Tuesday April 30 (might be only day that works at this point) only if it impacts Boston's seeding. It shouldn't impact Pens at that point. Both teams at that point play game 1 on Thursday May 2.

Or play it tomorrow, can the buffalo game in Pittsburgh and only make up if necessary (that one shouldn't).
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jamespensfan on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:14 pm

Kovy27 wrote:So, here's the thing. Pens play Buffalo tomorrow. Will they be able to get out of Boston to get home in time to play?

I think this game is not going to be played. You can't put 19k people in a stadium with a psycho running around.

Flights are still leaving the airport. They will be able to leave.
jamespensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:15 pm

jamespensfan wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:So, here's the thing. Pens play Buffalo tomorrow. Will they be able to get out of Boston to get home in time to play?

Flights are still leaving the airport. They will be able to leave.

Getting to the airport is the problem. Will they be able to leave Boston?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jamespensfan on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:17 pm

Froggy wrote:This game has direct implications for 3 of the top 4 spots in the east.

Well, however unfairly, if it is not practical to make up the game, then Boston could be impacted negatively. It effects seeding between Boston and Montreal...that is really about it.
jamespensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sprtn55 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:17 pm

IF game is played somehow, doesn't mean fans will actually show.
Last edited by sprtn55 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sprtn55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins