Oh Claude...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Oh Claude...

Postby pens_srq on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:46 pm

opposing coaches are working the refs for the playoffs already. It always happens this time of year. If they can disadvantage the Pens in any way going into the playoffs they will try.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Wasn't Malkin originally hurt (shoulder) by attempting to duck a check but instead was hit with a hipcheck? I think it was Toronto.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:13 am

Julien is one of the game's biggest whiners. First of all, the calls were clearly stacked towards Boston early in the game, so he has nothing to complain about in that regard.

Second, he has two top players returning from head injuries and he's got his players out there running around, going after the Penguins in a meaningless regular season game. Chara and company have always played a bit dirty, at least right on the edge. When you do that, you risk your players getting injured, too. That's why the Bruins and Rags will always have a ton of guys hurt.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:17 am

I love that this guy cries about everything when things don't go his way. He's possibly my favorite coach to hear whine, even more so than Torts.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:35 am

pens_srq wrote:opposing coaches are working the refs for the playoffs already. It always happens this time of year. If they can disadvantage the Pens in any way going into the playoffs they will try.

Yes, this is the correct response. Cooke will get a couple of extra penalties because of statements like this. Tortorella and Laviolette are masters of working the refs via media.

I do like how Bylsma and Shero don't engage in such shenanigans.

For instance, the Jack Edwards comments - Shero confronted him via Cam Neely (a Bruins VP) and settled it between the two without using the media. Molinari asked him to comment on what was said, and Shero declined.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:52 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I do like how Bylsma and Shero don't engage in such shenanigans.

As do I. Both very professional in the way they handle matters, though I wouldn't mind Bylsma playing games once in a while.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:11 am

I'm glad we don't have a whiny buffoon as a coach.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 am

Froggy wrote:I'm glad we don't have a whiny buffoon as a coach.

FIRE HCDB
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:31 am

Can't say I loved the hit, tend to agree with Mikey to an extent. Has anyone noticed a difference in Cooke's game since the additions were made? Perhaps it's just me, but it's been chippier.

Having said that, Julien should shut his chicken hole given the guys he sends out there.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:35 am

Man, when I saw the title of this post I was really hoping for something about Claude Giroux saying some stupid.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:00 pm

pfim wrote:Has anyone noticed a difference in Cooke's game since the additions were made? Perhaps it's just me, but it's been chippier.

Making sure he keeps his spot in the lineup, no doubt.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:24 pm

Froggy wrote:I'm glad we don't have a whiny buffoon as a coach.

I guess. Though the fans in DC loved Boudreau's rants. We'd probably enjoy our coach bringing the snark too. I mean...our ideals of being the team that lives on the high road were squashed in the playoffs last year so I don't really have the same pride in our class as I used to.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby marek on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Prickless NHL team - first team

Marchand
Ovechkin
Simmons
Subban
Del zotto
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby puckeye on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:27 pm

agree with Mikey here, not a bad hit just don't really care for it and somewhat unnecessary. Reminds me of Kronwall hits where launches his ass/backside

In Cooke's defense, looked to me like McQuaid was about to protect himself by raising his elbow. considering the difference in size, would have been aimed right at Cooke's head
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Staggy on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Seems appropriate for the thread:

Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Godric on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:47 pm

Staggy wrote:Seems appropriate for the thread:

Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Godric on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby penmyst on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:12 pm

I'm convinced NHL players and assorted NHL media/fans/watchers simply don't know what a hip check is any longer.

And what's truly ironic, is that listening to the wailing and gnashing of teeth over seeing one (a hip check) because they think it's "dirty".... goes on in a league where the number 1 reason hip checks have gone the way of the dodo bird is that players now prefer to use high hits. The same type of high hits that used to be (and still should be) seen as cheap, dirty, and cowardly ways to hit.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:15 pm

pens_srq wrote:opposing coaches are working the refs for the playoffs already. It always happens this time of year. If they can disadvantage the Pens in any way going into the playoffs they will try.

They don't need to.

Matt Cooke has a target on him no matter where he goes, no matter when he plays. Not just from opposing players, but from the referees and the NHL.

It's displayed not only in crybaby antics by ignoramuses around the league over normal, typical hockey plays by Cooke; it's also displayed by referees nitpicking calls ON him as well as referees intentionally ignoring assaults AGAINST him.

That's just the way it is. Sooner teach a pig to sing than get the NHL blockhead mafia to act like adults.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins