Sit everyone against Ottawa?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sit everyone against Ottawa?

Postby She'sTheFastest on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:16 am

Yup Just play 3 goala. Get the Quinnipiac guy some practice.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:20 am

Why would you want to run and hide by sitting everyone? If Ottawa starts ****, beat the **** out of them. There is nothing to fear from Ottatwa, they are bunch of blow-hards.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens2005 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:22 am

Apparently malkin is out Monday and Letang is a question mark because of an illness.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:25 am

Sounds like a lot of guys will be out against Ottawa but really probably has little to do with being scared. The Pens basically have nothing to play for right now. The only possible goal left is the President's Trophy and it's just about out of reach at this point. There's not much urgency to play anyone with any kind of health issue, however minor, tomorrow.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Steve Dave wrote:Right, but my concern was Fleury playing against Ottawa which is Monday, hence Vokoun would play back to back games and Fleury the remaining 3 games but I don't envision Blysma doing this. Just hope Fleury doesn't play vs Ottawa.

According to the P-G, per Disco, Flower is scheduled to start in Ottawa, NJ and the final regular season home game.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:26 pm

pens2005 wrote:Apparently malkin is out Monday and Letang is a question mark because of an illness.

:face: Groin
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Ottawa needs to win the game, so I doubt it turns goonish unless it gets out of hand on the scoreboard. Cooke doesn't have to fight anyone. Mac and Kassian will have a go early and things will settle down. If the Pens dress who they want, they dont have to be worried about anything. Smac, Engo, Glass, Bort, Shaft. I'm worried if i'm Kassian, Neil, Z.Smith. No worries fellas.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Are we really supposed to be scared of Ottawa??? The ****ing Ottawa Senators? If we start thinking about sitting our best players because we're afraid of Chris Neil then we might as well just give up because we're going nowhere but the golf course this summer. They're not figure skaters, let them play the game and see how they respond.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GenoMachino71 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:34 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Are we really supposed to be scared of Ottawa??? The ****ing Ottawa Senators? If we start thinking about sitting our best players because we're afraid of Chris Neil then we might as well just give up because we're going nowhere but the golf course this summer. They're not figure skaters, let them play the game and see how they respond.

I dont think anyone is scared of the Senators as much as theyre scared that someone from Ottawa could take a borderline cheapshot on an important player.

I'm sure the NHL will have a close eye on this game.

I expect Cooke will have to answer the bell to someone on one of his first shifts (which he'll do), and then after that, it will be a regular hockey game where Ottawa is playing with desperation. They can't afford to play a personal game where their #1 goal is getting physical revenge on the Penguins.

I'm sure the last thing they want to do is lose a game in which they play stupid and undisciplined, and then end up either missing the playoffs or have to play the Penguins in the 1st round.
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Yeah, not scared, just looking out for them to return the Matt Cooke "cheapshot," which was a freaking accident.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jwest21 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:49 pm

Have MacIntyre fight Melnyk.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:57 pm

GenoMachino71 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Are we really supposed to be scared of Ottawa??? The ****ing Ottawa Senators? If we start thinking about sitting our best players because we're afraid of Chris Neil then we might as well just give up because we're going nowhere but the golf course this summer. They're not figure skaters, let them play the game and see how they respond.

I dont think anyone is scared of the Senators as much as theyre scared that someone from Ottawa could take a borderline cheapshot on an important player.

The good news for us is all of our star players are already hurt.

Murray, Engelland, MacIntyre, Kunitz, Orpik, Glass, Morrow, Iginla, Kennedy, Cooke, Dupuis, Adams, Bortuzzo, Vitale. Besides being loaded with stars and scoring power, this team is tough as nails. They can play a game where they hit everything that moves and fight a half a dozen times if that's what the Senators are really interested in. They will win that one too.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Pitts wrote:Why would you want to run and hide by sitting everyone? If Ottawa starts ****, beat the **** out of them. There is nothing to fear from Ottatwa, they are bunch of blow-hards.

Discretion is the better part of valor.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:20 pm

WBS has a couple days until playoffs start, maybe call up some mockery like Sill and give them a game?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jwest21 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:38 pm

In all honesty, I have a feeling that nothing happens other than cooke fighting. The NHL is going to be watching this game closely plus Ottawa doesn't have the playoffs locked in yet
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:43 pm

I feel really confident in this team, but if we want to maximize our chances, I would much rather play the Sens in the first round then the Rags. In fact, I think the Rags---our current first round matchup---are the second best team in the East. Ensuring the Rags pick up two points on the Sens help us.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:44 pm

jwest21 wrote:In all honesty, I have a feeling that nothing happens other than cooke fighting. The NHL is going to be watching this game closely plus Ottawa doesn't have the playoffs locked in yet

I wish Cooke would fight more often. In the first game after he hurt Savard, he fought Thorton during the opening faceoff and nothing happened after that. I thought he could have fought (whoever it was that he hit yesterday) when he was challenged. That lets him focus on his game.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:00 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
jwest21 wrote:In all honesty, I have a feeling that nothing happens other than cooke fighting. The NHL is going to be watching this game closely plus Ottawa doesn't have the playoffs locked in yet

I wish Cooke would fight more often. In the first game after he hurt Savard, he fought Thorton during the opening faceoff and nothing happened after that. I thought he could have fought (whoever it was that he hit yesterday) when he was challenged. That lets him focus on his game.

Cooke shouldn't have to fight for a legal hit. Cooke isn't the greatest fighter anyhow. Don't need him ko'd like he was by Kane.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby malksby8771 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Tomorrow is sort of an important game for us imho. If we beat Ottawa and NYR hangs on today against NJD, then Ottawa falls to 8th. The Rangers also have a much easier schedule than the Sens from here on out (NYR plays Car, Buff, NJD while Ott plays Wash, Philly, Boston). I would much rather play Ottawa than NYR in round 1, so I certainly want a win tomorrow.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:48 pm

We should be sitting, if we can, anyone who isn't 100%.

If Letang is a little under the weather (and you can wear your tinfoil hats on it if you want) then sit him. If Player x is a little sore in region y, sit him.

Not running away from anyone. Getting ready for the real season.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:01 pm

malksby8771 wrote:Tomorrow is sort of an important game for us imho. If we beat Ottawa and NYR hangs on today against NJD, then Ottawa falls to 8th. The Rangers also have a much easier schedule than the Sens from here on out (NYR plays Car, Buff, NJD while Ott plays Wash, Philly, Boston). I would much rather play Ottawa than NYR in round 1, so I certainly want a win tomorrow.

In my opinion it doesn't matter who we play in the 1st round. If we play to our capabilities then we can beat anybody in the east. If we fall into the mindset of last years playoffs then we can lose to anyone. If you want to win the cup, its better to be challenged along the way, then hoping for the easiest path.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GenoMachino71 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:18 pm

pens_CT wrote:
malksby8771 wrote:Tomorrow is sort of an important game for us imho. If we beat Ottawa and NYR hangs on today against NJD, then Ottawa falls to 8th. The Rangers also have a much easier schedule than the Sens from here on out (NYR plays Car, Buff, NJD while Ott plays Wash, Philly, Boston). I would much rather play Ottawa than NYR in round 1, so I certainly want a win tomorrow.

In my opinion it doesn't matter who we play in the 1st round. If we play to our capabilities then we can beat anybody in the east. If we fall into the mindset of last years playoffs then we can lose to anyone. If you want to win the cup, its better to be challenged along the way, then hoping for the easiest path.

ehhhhh.... but can say all that....

but the bottom line is, I'd rather play Ottawa than NY in the 1st round
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby malksby8771 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:19 pm

GenoMachino71 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Yep. That simple. I'd like a win tomorrow.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:48 pm

pens_CT wrote:

I believe this is a fallacy. At bottom, no team is guaranteed to win a playoff series, no matter how good the team is. The chance of winning the Stanley Cup, then, can be found by multiplying the chance you have of beating each team. Even the best 1-8 game is something like 90% vs 10%. Imagine we have a 90% chance of beating Ottawa and an 80% chance of beating NYR. In both situations we are "heavy favorites." Assume further we have a 70% chance of beating the second round team, 60% of beating the third round, and a 50% chance of winning the cup matchup.

Playing Ottawa under this scenario gives us a 19% chance of winning the Stanley Cup. Playing NYR gives us a 17% chance. Although we're still a favorite if we play our game against both, playing the poorer team creates a measurable difference.

American sports embraces this randomness, where the worse team can win a round. Even the best teams of all time, then, have not won championship in a given season. Think the 18-1 Patriots team. Only guys like Skip Bayless would think the Giants are better because they won the Super Bowl. The Patriots team is one of the greatest ever, but the Giants struck the 25% chance they had of winning the game. Minimizing the underdog's chance of winning is therefore important.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:49 pm

GenoMachino71 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I'd worry more about MAF's playoff performance rather than who we are playing.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins